Nukkad

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
srikumar
BGR Member

Re: Nukkad

Post by srikumar » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:19 am

Georgia Tech is a good school and well-regarded for engineering in general. It is quite good/among the top in mechanical engg (and probably computers too). I dont know specifically about chemical engg. but I think it is pretty good in that area as well.

Raja
Forum Moderator

Post by Raja » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:23 am

Suraj wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:06 am
Raja wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:31 am
Suraj san, looks like I was caught on TV during live telecast of the Tokyo Marathon. :mrgreen: Some KB employees spotted me.
Must have been pretty good running weather . SHQs parents and sisters were video chatting with us in January about the record snowfall there, but the spring appears to be shaping well since .
Yeah it was good running weather and good organization/great volunteers & crowd except the start line where they lock you in the start pen for an hour with no access to port-a-potties and it was pretty cold so after going thru the start line, we all lined up to pee after 400m and stood there for 15-18 minutes. :lol: By 5K we were at 6 hour pace so I decided to at least squeak in under 5 hours and avoid a boring slog like Singapore. As a result, got a chance to catch the elites coming back before they disappeared around the corner. Unfortunately no WR happened despite big announcements though the weather was perfect. Plus everybody who finished within the cut-off could claim they beat an ex-world champion as Wilson Kipsang (the one trying to break the WR) DNF'ed at 16K or so. :twisted: Singha saar got live updates with pics from the course.

Notice the Japanese guy running in white? That's Yuta Shitara who runs for Honda. Fella fell back from the lead pack after this pic was taken to 11th place and then sprinted from 11th to 2nd place in the final 5K of the marathon, beating all Kenyans except the winner and breaking the Japanese national record in the process. He also took home 2x the prize money as the winner (Dickson Chumba - the guy in pink shorts). Course is pretty easy with nice uphill/downhill intervals but its a waste to run it for time as one misses out on the crowd interaction. By the time I finished, I had eaten 5-7 chocolate bars, 2 x chocolate sandwiches (seems to be a Japani invention), half a banana - most supplied by spectators.

After the race, that night we took our coach to a cabaret show in Kabukicho (almost next door to our hotel) and the ol' boy went :shock: :shock: :rotfl:

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:55 am

Horrifying details from Nepal's Kathmandu airport crash emerge: 'Pilot didn't obey ATC, landed at wrong time'

Horrifying details from Nepal's Kathmandu airport crash emerge: 'Pilot didn't obey ATC, landed at wrong time'

World Birendra KM and Saurabh Sharma Mar 13, 2018

Kathmandu: The pilot of the US-Bangla Airlines plane that crashed at the Tribhuvan International Airport in Nepal on Monday did not obey orders from the air traffic control (ATC), the airport authority said. As many as 49 of the 71 people on board died, according to latest reports.

Raj Kumar Chhetri, general manager at Tribhuvan International Airport, said the ATC, which monitors and regulates the traffic at the airport, asked pilot of the aircraft to await landing. The flight originated from Dhaka.

“The pilot did not obey orders given by ATC and landed at wrong time. Also, the plane was to land from the southern side of the runway, but the pilot tried landing from the northern side,” Chhetri told Firstpost.

Manoj Nepune, the Kathmandu Police spokesperson confirmed over the phone that 14 people among the dead were of Nepalese nationality. They'd gone to Dhaka for training from different Nepal travel agencies.

An airport official confirmed that among the 67 flyers, 32 were Bangladeshis, 33 were Nepalese, one each from China and Maldives, apart from four crew members.

PS Thakur, spokesperson of Tribhuvan International Airport, said the aircraft circled the airport twice before suddenly descending on the runway without informing the ATC.

Meanwhile, Nepal prime minister KP Sharma Oli reached the airport to take stock of the situation and assured all possible help to victims of the crash.

The injured were taken to Norvic Hospital in Thapathali and to Army Hospital in Kathmandu, Chettri added.

Birendra KM is a Kathmandu-based journalist and Saurabh Sharma is a Lucknow-based journalist. Both are members of 101reporters.com, a pan-India network of grassroot reporters
The quote below is from another internet source.

Looks like that there was lots of confusion in the cockpit.

ATC Radio Transcript Kathmandu-Tower:

(Note: this transcript is unofficial and can contain inadequate data)

BS211(female voice): „Good day, BanglaStar211 final runway 02.“
KTM-Tower: „BanglaStar211, tower. Wind 230 degrees eight knots, tailwind component seven knots, continue approach.“
BS211(female voice): „Continue approach BanglaStar 211.“
KTM-Tower: „BanglaStar211, wind 220 degrees seven knots, tailwind component six knots, runway 02 you’re cleared to land.“
BS211(female voice): „Cleared to land, BanglaStar 211.“
KTM-Tower: „BanglaStar211, tower?“
BS211(female voice): „Go ahead, sir.“
BS211(male voice): „Go ahead, mam‘.“
KTM-Tower: „BanglaStar211, you were given a landing clearance to runway 02.“
BS211(male voice): „Affirmative, mam.“
KTM-Tower: „You are going towards runway 20.“
BS211(male voice): „..(garbled transmission)..to runway 02.“
KTM-Tower (different voice): „…211, runway 20, cleared to land.“
BS211(male voice): „..cleared to land..(unintelligible).“
KTM-Tower (different voice): „BanglaStar211, Kathmandu Tower“
BS211(male voice): „Go ahead“
KTM-Tower (different voice): „BanglaStar211, request your intentions.“
BS211(male voice): „..(unintelligible)..“
KTM-Tower (different voice): “ BanglaStar211, that would be VFR.“
BS211(male voice): „Affirmative“
KTM-Tower (different voice): “ 211 join a ri…ehm..right downwind to runway 20.“
BS211(male voice): „Copied.“
KTM-Tower (different voice): “ …right downwind runway 02..“
Tower clears another aircraft (Buddha282) to land on runway 02.
KTM-Tower: „And BanglaStar 211, traffic at final eh..runway 02 at two miles, report sighting.“
BS211(male voice): „Copied, Sir. We’ll be at (..) runway 02.“
KTM-Tower: „Confirm you’re tracking towards runway 20 ?“
BS211(male voice): „Affirmative.“
KTM-Tower: „Right..left, right downwind runway 02, I say again Bangla 212 traffic is on final runway 02 landing on runway 02.“
BS211(male voice): „Copied Sir“
Tower confirmed landing clearance for the other aircraft (Buddha282) to land on runway 02.
KTM-Tower: „211 I say it again, do not proceed towards runway 20. Cleared to hold at your current position.“
BS211(male voice): „Okay, we’re making an orbit to the right, copied ?“
BS211(male voice): „Tower, 211, making a right holding, right holding for runway 02.“
KTM-Tower: „Okay that’s good but do not land. Traffic is on short final runway 02.“
BS211(male voice): „We have that, Sir copied. (unintelligible) we’re cleared to land“
KTM-Tower: „..BanglaStar211, runway..eh..cleared to land. Runway is vacated, either runway 02 or 20 ?“
BS211(male voice): „Yes Sir, we like to land on 20.“
KTM-Tower: „Okay runway 20, cleared to land. Wind is 270 degrees, six knots.“
BS211(male voice): „260 copied, cleared to land.“
KTM-Tower: „BanglaStar211, confirm you have the runway in sight?“
BS211(male voice): „Negative, Sir.“
KTM-Tower: „BanglaStar211, turn right and ah..you have the runway, confirm you have the runway not in sight, yet ?“
BS211(male voice): „Affirmative, we have (..) runway in sight. Requesting clear to land, Sir.“
KTM-Tower: „And BanglaStar211, cleared to land.“
BS211(male voice): „Cleared to land runway 02, BanglaStar212.“
KTM-Tower: „Roger, runway 02, cleared to land, BanglaStar211.“
BS211(male voice): „..sir, are we cleared to land ?“
KTM-Tower: „BanglaStar211, I say again..turn… (yelling in background).“
(end of BS211 transmissions)

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:00 am

Indrad wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:43 pm
dear friends...any idea how is Georgia Tech School of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering? One colleague based in ME has their son admission secured there in chem engg,and asked re details I have no clue. Any feedback pls.
It's a good school for engineering all around. Aerospace/mechanical and electrical are very good. I assume your friend's son will be there for an undergraduate program? I know on the biochemistry side they work together with Emory University with whom they are co-located. I would say definitely go for it. If my kid had admission there, I wouldn't hesitate to send them - except it is in downtown Atlanta, GA so crime, particularly violent crime may be an issue; although the area may have gone through gentrification in the last 10 years or so. I haven't been to Atlanta, GA in nearly 20 years, but did notice some improvement.

I believe the Mongolian fellow at BRF can possibly assist you with more information. Try to reach out to him.

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:46 am

thanks Mort Walker ji!

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:34 pm

Indrad wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:46 am
thanks Mort Walker ji!
You’re welcome!
Please no “ji”.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:58 pm

we have the best people...like Flynn, Comey, Price, Gorka, Bannon,Scaramucci, Priebus, Spicer, Dubke, Cohn, Porter, Hicks and Tillerson.

So much winning.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:48 am

May your eternal journey continue.

Steven Hawkings, 1942 - 2018

Om shanti Steven Hawkings.

A true genius physicist.

One of the greatest scientist of our times.

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:02 pm

Gus wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:58 pm
we have the best people...like Flynn, Comey, Price, Gorka, Bannon,Scaramucci, Priebus, Spicer, Dubke, Cohn, Porter, Hicks and Tillerson.

So much winning.
By October expect Damadji, Kelly, McMaster, Sessions, Rosenstein, DeVoss and several lower level advisors. It will continue this way for the next 72 months. It’s cabinet level “Apprentice”. No single position will last more than 18 months.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:29 pm

That's good. After the booting of best people, we will get the bester people and finally the bestest people.

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:28 pm

Gus wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:29 pm
That's good. After the booting of best people, we will get the bester people and finally the bestest people.
If you watch the movie “Idiocracy”, then it will give you a good idea of the current “governance”.

shravanp
BGR Member

Post by shravanp » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:21 pm

So Brothelwood, I mean Bollywood, is making a movie on Panipat-3 battle. Just when Padvamat/Bajirao dogfest was not over, they are bringing out another nightmarish conception especially on a battle where thousands of starving and hungry Marathas fought Afghans and died. Why can't bollywood leave history alone?

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:13 pm

before - Trump has nothing to do with Stormi. No NDA was signed.

now - Stormi is violating NDA. Pay 20 mill.

Vikas
BGR Member

Post by Vikas » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:54 pm

Bhai Log, Any one with Blockchain knowledge. I have a internal presentation and there are few questions I am unable to get understanding of.

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:50 pm

Malloo movies now-a-dins are full of such advanced tech interview questions. so, the hero gets arrested for road rage after cocain sniffs, goes to 10 years in jail.. there he does distance courses in IT - gets out, attends interviews, answers questions about FPGA architecture, block-chain, map-reduce .. seriously! answers match perfect definitions.

just-saying.. well done malloo RT-movie system. ;)

arshyam
BGR Member

Post by arshyam » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:05 pm

shravanp wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:21 pm
Why can't bollywood leave history alone?
One word: Baahubali.

I predicted this will happen in the older BRF avatar of this thread. Sad to see it coming true.

saip
BGR Newbie

Post by saip » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:55 pm

Couple of days back I tried to login into my ICICI account. It was locked up tight. Nothing worked except a message that the account is non compliant with KYC requirements. No warning, no nothing. They have my email, phone and permanent address. But do they care to communicate? No.

But they do send some emails (incl one from branch manager asking me if I need any help etc). I did log in ten days back without a problem. So something must have really happened that they thought my accounts must be locked up. I did visit the branch in January and they assured me everything is OK.

OK. Then I gather all docs for uploading. I face two more hurdles (i.e TWO more layers of security, i do not know why just for uploading some docs). I need to enter the numbers from the grid of the ATM card. But which one? I have three of them. I take a chance and enter from the NRE a/c card. It seems to work. But then they send an OTP to my Indian phone even though I had replaced that with US phone and it does display that no on the screen. Looks like they forgot to update the no in ALL the places it was entered. The Tata Docomo phone which I use in India does not work any more in the USA. It used to work and receive SMS before. So I call TataDocomo and the guy says you must have at least Rs 800 in your account. I ask him to check. Oh, you have Rs 1100/ in your account. So he does not know why it is not working and asks me to send an email to their IT. So I send an email. I got a reply. They say it should work but they do not why it is not working. But they say data services will not work so I can not get OTP.

I give up on the phone and call ICICI again. The guy says he will give the OTP on the phone. So I try again and but I notice all my docs are around 200KB and the bank has a limit of 100KB. These are the same docs I uploaded for Kotak Bank (few months ago they too sent an email about this KYC requirement and were courteous enough to call me and let me know the requirements). That is where it stands. I have to figure a way to shrink the docs below 100 KB and call the bank again for OTP.

I had relations with this bank for almost 15 years and now they realize the accounts are non-compliant and freeze me out. Has anyone had this kind of experience with Indian banks? I feel there are too many layers of unnecessary security compared to US banks.

arshyam
BGR Member

Post by arshyam » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:47 pm

I had a similar problem with Axis bank a few years ago, and then they enabled email-based OTP messages. IIRC, they offerred the option for NRE/NRO accounts - it stopped after my account changed to a regular resident a/c. Not sure if ICICI supports that.

I'd just caution about comparing with security with US accounts - it's a joke, to say the least.

rsingh
BGR Newbie

Post by rsingh » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:27 pm

Vyoman @saikanomie wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:50 pm
Malloo movies now-a-dins are full of such advanced tech interview questions. so, the hero gets arrested for road rage after cocain sniffs, goes to 10 years in jail.. there he does distance courses in IT - gets out, attends interviews, answers questions about FPGA architecture, block-chain, map-reduce .. seriously! answers match perfect definitions.

just-saying.. well done malloo RT-movie system. ;)
Why everybody looks like coconuts these days? This beard thing has gone over the top.

Narasimha
BGR Newbie

Post by Narasimha » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:40 pm

KYC norms have been tightened by all banks oflate

saip
BGR Newbie

R Nukkad

Post by saip » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:51 pm

Five days and counting. My accounts are still locked up. I had theses account for over ten years and suddenly this happened. Finally today I received a call from the branch at the ungodly hour of 5 am (probably in response to my email to 'senior management') He tried to help but he too had no idea as to what form I had to upload as 'declaration form' on the very last screen. I have to redo the whole thing again. I have to call him back tonight. Hopefully he will find out by then.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:44 am

icici is a pain with kyc...wife has it. I have been lucky with hdfc so far.

saip - have u updated with aadhaar?

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:20 am

What is a good Indian bank for NRI banking? Service and connectivity wise. I just want to use a simple NRE account with international phone/text or email facility. Friends are recommending Kotak Mahindra. How is the record? I am fed up with the bench warmers at my local SBI branch, no understanding of their own systems and processes.

Sachin
BGR Oldie

Post by Sachin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:41 am

saip wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:55 pm
Couple of days back I tried to login into my ICICI account. It was locked up tight. Nothing worked except a message that the account is non compliant with KYC requirements. No warning, no nothing. They have my email, phone and permanent address.
I have CitiBank and HDFC accounts, and both were sending multiple SMS messages asking me to get the Aadhaar linking done. Both of them had provisions to update the number online. But they were also doing a validation in a couple of days time. If the name & dob in the account did not match what is in Aadhar, the request was denied (and informed via SMS).

Finally I adopted the standard procedure for many Indians of 1980s. Drafted a letter in King's English detailing the situation, listed all my account & credit card details and also attached a self-attested copy of my Aadhar. The letter also had an official request asking the name in the account to be corrected as per Aadhar. This letter was sent by India Post, using "Registered Post" (which can now be tracked online) to CitiBank. Similar letter was used at the near by HDFC Bank (just a .km away), to sort out things there too.

I have two more accounts in PSU banks. Have updated the Aadhaar number there. But looks like they are not validating it, and just update their records without any check.

PS: Even after all this, CitiBank do send periodic reminders asking me to link up Aadhaar to my account :facepalm: .

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:47 am

Sachin wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:41 am
saip wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:55 pm
Couple of days back I tried to login into my ICICI account. It was locked up tight. Nothing worked except a message that the account is non compliant with KYC requirements. No warning, no nothing. They have my email, phone and permanent address.
I have CitiBank and HDFC accounts, and both were sending multiple SMS messages asking me to get the Aadhaar linking done. Both of them had provisions to update the number online. But they were also doing a validation in a couple of days time. If the name & dob in the account did not match what is in Aadhar, the request was denied (and informed via SMS).

Finally I adopted the standard procedure for many Indians of 1980s. Drafted a letter in King's English detailing the situation, listed all my account & credit card details and also attached a self-attested copy of my Aadhar. The letter also had an official request asking the name in the account to be corrected as per Aadhar. This letter was sent by India Post, using "Registered Post" (which can now be tracked online) to CitiBank. Similar letter was used at the near by HDFC Bank (just a .km away), to sort out things there too.

I have two more accounts in PSU banks. Have updated the Aadhaar number there. But looks like they are not validating it, and just update their records without any check.

PS: Even after all this, CitiBank do send periodic reminders asking me to link up Aadhaar to my account :facepalm: .
two of my accounts were properly validated by aadhar, accessed right from the bank branch itself and in my presence.

They used the aadhar OTP to validate and verify online

It was a fairly quick and painless procedure.