Nukkad

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
Indrad
BGR Oldie

Re: Nukkad

Post by Indrad » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:46 am

travelling in India at the moment...price have gone up significantly it seems. For same price I might get better food & clothes in UK.
Market regulation badly needed...shopkeeper charging whatever he likes or may be inflation effect?

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:02 pm

Indrad wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:46 am
travelling in India at the moment...price have gone up significantly it seems. For same price I might get better food & clothes in UK.
Market regulation badly needed...shopkeeper charging whatever he likes or may be inflation effect?
Which cities are you visiting and how long ago did you visit? When you say prices of food and clothing have gone up, how is it in comparison to GBP vs. INR over time? If you throw in about 5%/yr inflation and GBP has declined from nearly 1 = 100 to 1 to 90, then yes prices have gone up in the last couple of years.

There may also be that GST is being added to prices by merchants when before VAT may not have been collected.

People in India are feeling the pinch in this transitional period where GST and income tax changes have been implemented. Anecdotally, I've been seeing lots of WhatsApp messages regarding GST and income tax from family and friends who are staunch BJP supporters. It will be good if it irons out by this time next year, otherwise there will be electoral losses for the BJP.

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:52 pm

Amtrak-CSX collision in S Carolina, Massa today...

The Amtrak's both loco pilots are dead. Luckily the CSX loco was not occupied at the time of the incident. No other casualties on the Amtrak train but over 100+ injuries. The Amtrak was travelling at around 95 Kph at the time of the crash. US Railways have better crash norms. Probably that's why many injuries but not casualties. Anyways, the picture paints how bad the collision was...

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:52 pm

Track circuits and GPS based collision detection isn't hard. Wonder why they would not have prevented such collisions. It could be the algorithm learning process that needs to redo the learning, to reduce speed and come to a stop much ahead. Otherwise, I can't think why this happened.

saip
BGR Newbie

Post by saip » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:53 am

Track was switched manually to wrong track, but why? Positive train control was not in operation. Signal system was down and so it is being operated manually. Looks like human error.

CNN

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:17 am

twitter
When it was said that Milk used to flow out of the Cows of Brindavan, when Lord Krishna played the flute. People called it a silly belief. Now when the foreigners provide us the video, we are amazed.

https://twitter.com/rishibagree/status/ ... 3863773184

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:37 am

Mort Walker wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:02 pm
People in India are feeling the pinch in this transitional period where GST and income tax changes have been implemented. Anecdotally, I've been seeing lots of WhatsApp messages regarding GST and income tax from family and friends who are staunch BJP supporters. It will be good if it irons out by this time next year, otherwise there will be electoral losses for the BJP.
mort sir
there seems to be some loss of good will for modi saar in middle class, some of ardent supporters apolitical in nature (and obviously not as informed as BGR) are miffed calling him hotair & all...when reminded of rural electrification, Ujjawala, roads, jan dhan etc they nod yes to development but
still the yes is not emphatic.
im hoping this displeasure is cutting across middle class segment only but then people are saying rural distress... :( got house of parents re organised and found that prices of stuff like TV, matress is comparable with europe. I could be wrong..

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:18 am

Indrad wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:37 am
Mort Walker wrote:
mort sir
there seems to be some loss of good will for modi saar in middle class, some of ardent supporters apolitical in nature (and obviously not as informed as BGR) are miffed calling him hotair & all...when reminded of rural electrification, Ujjawala, roads, jan dhan etc they nod yes to development but still the yes is not emphatic. im hoping this displeasure is cutting across middle class segment only but then people are saying rural distress... :( got house of parents re organised and found that prices of stuff like TV, matress is comparable with europe. I could be wrong..
These guys are fickle and look for personal gains at each and every opportunity.

Apart from paying taxes, their contribution to society is virtually nil, engrossed as they are in their personal pursuits of wealth accumulation and whining at every little thing.

They are attention seeking and feel aandoned if they think that their great contribution of "paying" taxes is ignored when no tangible benefits are extended to them in every single budget and yet, this tribe is notorious for jumping queues, bribing officials, taking shortcuts where ever they can, cutting corners and demand special treatment because their demands are made in english.

let them vote congi/commie and get their wretched arses burned once again.

Shakuni
BGR Newbie

Post by Shakuni » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:40 pm

I can't but help think that these people complaining about the current government, somehow deserve to have the barmaid as the ones pulling strings, and Pappu as regent. No wonder this country has been invaded and colonised for over a 1000 years. Seems like the very DNA has changed. :cry:

KJo
Forum Moderator

Post by KJo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:19 pm

Shakuni wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:40 pm
I can't but help think that these people complaining about the current government, somehow deserve to have the barmaid as the ones pulling strings, and Pappu as regent. No wonder this country has been invaded and colonised for over a 1000 years. Seems like the very DNA has changed. :cry:
Well, complaining about the current government is actually healthy if done in a constructive way. Modi/Shah don't have all the answers every time.
You should ask these people if they are flipping to Congress. My guess is the answer is No (unless Lover/Peaceful).

I have a lot of gripes against Modi Sarkaar, but I know that this Govt is the only hope for Hindus and I don't want a change.

Vayutuvan
BGR Newbie

Post by Vayutuvan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:27 pm

Consultant or Prostitute?
* You work very odd hours.
* You are paid a lot of money to keep your client happy.
* You are paid well but your pimp gets most of the money.
* You spend a majority of your time in a hotel room.
* You charge by the hour but your time can be extended for the right price.
* You are not proud of what you do.

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:01 pm

KJo wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:19 pm
Shakuni wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:40 pm
Well, complaining about the current government is actually healthy if done in a constructive way. Modi/Shah don't have all the answers every time.
You should ask these people if they are flipping to Congress. My guess is the answer is No (unless Lover/Peaceful).

I have a lot of gripes against Modi Sarkaar, but I know that this Govt is the only hope for Hindus and I don't want a change.
Kjo they are not voting for congress but are threatening NOTA which is same as bringing back congress

Vayutuvan
BGR Newbie

Post by Vayutuvan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:56 am

Singha wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:35 am
... the KL temple style circular pillar in front is another, ...
Those same designs are also there at the Parthenon. Also Victorian columns. Greeks could have copied Indic architecture back when Alexander the (in)Grate got his ass whupped by purushOttama.

Vayutuvan
BGR Newbie

Post by Vayutuvan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:58 am

chetak wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:47 am
i see "evangelist", "apostle" before their names.
I always go into peels of laughter when I see Technology Evangelist

Vayutuvan
BGR Newbie

Post by Vayutuvan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:09 am

Mort Walker wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:09 am
I haven’t died yet.
Mark Twain ...

Vayutuvan
BGR Newbie

Post by Vayutuvan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:12 am

Raja wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:33 pm
Pah! Such squeamishness does not suit such a SF warrior. Sometimes facing the surgeon’s knife is the right choice.
Naah. The real samurai use their own kaTaaNas to do the needful.

Vikas
BGR Member

Post by Vikas » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:31 am

chetak wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:18 am
Indrad wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:37 am
Mort Walker wrote:
mort sir
there seems to be some loss of good will for modi saar in middle class, some of ardent supporters apolitical in nature (and obviously not as informed as BGR) are miffed calling him hotair & all...when reminded of rural electrification, Ujjawala, roads, jan dhan etc they nod yes to development but still the yes is not emphatic. im hoping this displeasure is cutting across middle class segment only but then people are saying rural distress... :( got house of parents re organised and found that prices of stuff like TV, matress is comparable with europe. I could be wrong..
These guys are fickle and look for personal gains at each and every opportunity.

Apart from paying taxes, their contribution to society is virtually nil, engrossed as they are in their personal pursuits of wealth accumulation and whining at every little thing.

They are attention seeking and feel aandoned if they think that their great contribution of "paying" taxes is ignored when no tangible benefits are extended to them in every single budget and yet, this tribe is notorious for jumping queues, bribing officials, taking shortcuts where ever they can, cutting corners and demand special treatment because their demands are made in english.

let them vote congi/commie and get their wretched arses burned once again.
Chetak Ji, When someone complains in democracy, calling him names and downplaying their contribution to 'Nil' is the best way to lose them.
I wonder why you keep throwing threats like , let them vote for congress and suffer. Well don't be surprised and complain when some of them will. Every group in democracy seeks benefits in return for vote offered, why not then berate Poor, Farmers, Army, SC,ST, Rich, Kashmiri, Telgu, AAP...The list is never ending. Everyone demands benefits in return for bringing the incumbent in power. Heck even Islamists and BIF demand benefits from govt even when they had no hand in bringing NM sarkaar to power.

"this tribe is notorious for jumping queues, bribing officials, taking shortcuts where ever they can, cutting corners and demand special treatment because their demands are made in English"

Pray tell me, who in India does not do that ? Name one group who has the ability but does not indulge in all that you mentioned above ?

PS: Tell me what would you tell the Armymen who got martyred yesterday, that Govt has some super Chankiang plan about Pakistan when we all know that this Govt is as clueless about tackling Pakistan as previous govt.
Should I not raise voice about it or just keep silent lest it causes electoral harm to BJP.

Where does one draw the line ?

Marten
BGR Member

Post by Marten » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:09 am

Vayutuvan wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:56 am
Singha wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:35 am
... the KL temple style circular pillar in front is another, ...
Those same designs are also there at the Parthenon. Also Victorian columns. Greeks could have copied Indic architecture back when Alexander the (in)Grate got his ass whupped by purushOttama.
AFAIK no other culture has a deepasthamba. All said, Alex was quite late in the game. There were already several signs of how the worship and belief systems (not to mention elaborate rituals regarding construction of temples and conducting prayers. Sacrifice was just as prevalent as were the priestly classes who would own no land but would get first right on resources offered to the Gods. All in all, it is difficult to ignore something as simple as the Golden bull that was burnt alive by the Hebrews/pagans when the Oldest Mo(ses) walked them across the waters to their future promised land.) Only the blindest would ignore the stark signs of Indic culture there.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:28 am

twitter
The BEST ever advertisement for Valentine's Day!

https://twitter.com/madhukishwar/status ... 7392158720

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:33 am

twitter

Books every Hindu must read

Aavarana - S L Bhyrappa

Six Glorious Epochs of Indian History - Veer Sawarkar

Breaking India - Aravindan Neelakandan, Rajeev Malhotra

Decolonising d Hindu Mind - Koenraad Elst

How I Became A Hindu - Sita Ram Goel

Goa Inquisition - A K Priolkar

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:07 am

Vyoman @saikanomie wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:52 pm
Track circuits and GPS based collision detection isn't hard. Wonder why they would not have prevented such collisions. It could be the algorithm learning process that needs to redo the learning, to reduce speed and come to a stop much ahead. Otherwise, I can't think why this happened.
pure GPS (10meter) accuracy is not accurate enough for adjoining tracks differentiation. some other means are used.
I doubt anyone would want to take chances even with 1m CEP mil-channel GPS.

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:12 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Goa_Inquisition

i have visited goa twice but only as tourist. plan to drive there this summer with the kids and spend more in-depth time on its history and culture.

seems like the hindus and muslims retreated into the interior forests and hills to escape the govt and coastal developed areas got settled by the portugalis and their neo converts.

compared to coastal KA, goa is better developed in HDI terms. there is very little poverty there. so like the japanese did in korea and taiwan under their regime, perhaps the portugalis did a better job on mass education than bartanistanis ever cared to do....busy as they were ripping the country down to the bone - I am reading shashi tharoors book now. the true rapacity of their brutal tax regime was unknown to me as was their system of killing indian industries using customs levies and banning from exports to uk.

in our hotel we met a old goanese gent, he had many decades ago sneaked into UK illegally by jumping off when his ship (he was crew) berthed there, married a african origin lady and never could return as he was illegal. then under some amnesty scheme he must have got UK passport. his son(working in US) and daughter(accountant) and wife brought him back to goa for the first time.....he was nostalgic but sad , he visited his old village but all his mates were moved away or passed away. but atleast felt like he got some closure on life. he could not even come back to attend funerals of near ones. that was his life. there are many such illegal migrants in US/canada/UK who are never able to return for decades ..... singing the songs of a distant ecosphere they left behind forever.

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:33 am

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ent ... 776346.cms

:( run as fast as possible away from venue...

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:03 am

Singha wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:12 am
there are many such illegal migrants in US/canada/UK who are never able to return for decades ..... singing the songs of a distant ecosphere they left behind forever.
People have to understand that there will be consequences for their choices. And it a choice they are making to stay at a country illegally making "sacrifices". I for one do not feel sad for those people. The best I can say is, hopefully they find whatever it is they are looking for by making those choices.

It's like people who left EU to migrate to US back in 1800s or so...they knew it was one-way trip with forever goodbyes to the kin & kith.

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:00 pm

Even those who have migrated to the west legally will have over time lose connection even if they visit desh annually. I spend time taking my kids to religious places and historical significance and they spend time with first cousins, but my family are missing most marriages, births, passings and major religious festivals. Should my kids marry goras, which is a high statistical probability, the bonds will become less. There are many Indian families who cannot visit desh as often due to visa issues and financial limitations and their kids quickly become part of the melting pot.