Nukkad

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
rsingh
BGR Newbie

Re: Nukkad

Post by rsingh » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:51 pm

Why you guys make joke of Timucktoo, hein ji. It is very nice place to visit. Town planning is better then Delhi. Old library full of traveler's sagas. Munching on spiced chicken under open sky in starry night which ( served by fine African beauties),Internet connection better then Paris. Aah those bazars in front of mud houses. List is long

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:59 pm

Suraj wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:33 am
Mort Walker wrote:All I'm saying is that OCI is defined within amendment to the 1955 Citizenship Act and amendments to it.
It is STILL not a citizenship :) I can't believe you keep going on calling it one all because the word appears in the name, and demanding things of it that don't exist as per law.
This my last post on the matter.

Nope. The law says Overseas ‘Citizen’ of India. I will get clarification from my counsular official when they visit my area in the near future and will then post an update, but it may be a while before that. I will ask them specifically if an OCI is an abridged citizenship or simply a type of GC.

Now back to regular programming....

Javee
BGR Newbie

Post by Javee » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:44 am

Mortji, i know you wanted to lay it off, here is the official citizenship act and look at page 11 for OCI (Section 7A). Under OCI rights, here is what they have called out,
1. Multiple entry lifelong visas
2. Exemption of registration from FRRO
3. Parity with NRI in economic, financial and education fields with restrictions on land owning.

http://mha1.nic.in/pdfs/ic_act55.pdf

Under Article 9 of Indian Constitution; a person who voluntarily acquires citizenship of any other country is no longer an Indian citizen. In Section 8 of the Citizenship Act 1955, if an adult makes a declaration of renunciation of Indian citizenship, he loses Indian citizenship.Period, there is no if's and but's here. Infact, they call them "OCI" card holders in all official communications. As of 2016, the central govt has updated some more laws on OCI, in terms of reasons for termination of OCI.
http://www.prsindia.org/uploads/media/C ... 202016.pdf

Hold on to your seats, here is what it says in a gist,
Under the 1955 Act, an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) cardholder’s registration may be cancelled if he violates a law for which he is: (i) sentenced to imprisonment for two years or more, and (ii) within five years of his OCI registration. The Bill adds another ground for cancelling OCI registration,which is violation of any law of the country by an OCI. This means that even offences with: (i) lesser penalties, or (ii) which have been committed after five years of registration could be covered under the Bill. This makes the earlier provision redundant.

This provision also grants the central government wide discretion to cancel OCI registration for a range of violations. This will include serious offences like murder,as well as minor offences like violation of a traffic law (such as parking in a no -parking zone or jumping a red light). The question is whether minor violations should result in cancellation of OCI registration, which may require an OCI who is staying in India to leave the country.

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:26 am

saw a film named "pele:birth of a legend" recently.
it portrays the modest means of his family, his town and his meteoric rise in 18 months from joining the santos youth team to being the youngest player in the world cup 1958, his natural "jinga" style of play mocked and belittled by his initial coaches and a knee injury that he played with in 1958. with his first earnings at santos, he purchased a washing machine(gas fed) to help his mother who slogged daily, but did not know their town had no gas, his mother used it as a table instead.

what was interesting to see was the sheer of degree of casual racism that existed in europe in that era.....and among some of the brazilian elites....the "jinga" style of play people learnt in the streets was "african" and was not to be used, people forced to play in european style until better sense prevailed....the whole stadium mocking and laughing at SDRE pele who was "short, dark and rice eater" and shorter than most of his own team, let alone the "meaty,tall, wheat eating" russians and swedes ! in a joint press conference before the final, the swedish coach egged on by the media called the whole brazilian team "abnormal" - a mix of half-breeds , garrincha born with bent spine and bent leg, another player with missing fingers he lost in a factory trying to earn a living, weak n thin "african retards" like the ethiopian origin Didi.

unfortunately for the tfta swedes the trash talk backfired - badly. after conceding a goal early, the brazilian team which was packed with players who could walk into world team found their confidence and style.... they smashed in 5 goals over the the next 1 hr to demolish sweden and pele scored twice.

Vayutuvan
BGR Newbie

Post by Vayutuvan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:07 pm

Marten wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:26 pm
Mort ji, OCI is a privilege. You are free to not invest in Indian bonds until services improve. They should, but not at the cost of Indian citizens who subsidize these services.
So, some new Indian bonds are being offered? What is the coupon rate? Are they zero coupons? Thanks in advance.

Vayutuvan
BGR Newbie

Post by Vayutuvan » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:12 pm

Sachin wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:46 am
Gents, is Akshayapatra scheme 100% indic? Got a call from one of their staff but his name/e-mail ID did not sound like one of the ISKON followers.
AFAIK. Do you want to contact somebody who works in the marketing of the org? I can put you in touch with that person. Or if you a facebook page, let me know. I can put you in touch through FB to this person.

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:13 am

^^ sometimes the tele calling is outsourced to paid marketeers also.

i have visited their place many times in blr, the kitchen and the midday meal scheme is real. they are part of the 15 of so accredited NGOs in netz whose contribution by us can come directly off the payroll and matched 1:1 upto $10k by netz charitable foundation/CSR funds.

recently I did my annual december thing and contributed to them, a org working for physically challenged people in blr(HSR layout having gone there once) and a blind school near madurai

unlike the lootera EU nanny states, EJs or Harvaad/Stanford, these orgs do not have a huge corpus generating massive returns annually, they have low cash reserves and need all the help they can get.

even helping 1 person to get some education and opportunity is like permanently solving the poverty issue for him/her and all their descendents mostly.

Sachin
BGR Oldie

Post by Sachin » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:20 am

Vayutuvan wrote:Do you want to contact somebody who works in the marketing of the org? I can put you in touch with that person.
Singha wrote:sometimes the tele calling is outsourced to paid marketeers also.
Thanks. The person who called me has given a web site URL (and his e-mail ID as well). The name sounded X'ian and that is why I got doubtful. I had contributed to World Vision for quite some time, till I knew they were EJ group.

Links shared with me:-
https://www.akshayapatra.org/history
https://www.akshayapatra.org/tmdonation
Are these genuine?

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:39 am

Dileep
Site Admin

Post by Dileep » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:11 am

Suraj wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:20 pm
Mort Walker wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:15 pm
I can’t find where an OCI will not avail consular support. It appears to provide parity with a regular citizen in this regard.
We need a facepalm icon here. OCI's categorization cannot be more clear:
Ask.. and thou shalt receive!! :facepalm:

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:41 pm

GE Rail promoting the "value" of its IR loco WDG-6.

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:03 pm

It seems like US economy is back on solid footing. Apparently, this month is the 86th straight of job increase/gains. Unemployment is back around to 4%. Markets are roaring. Supposedly labour market is strong again. Good for folks who are in US. I guess some executives orders by Trump, especially on culling EPA norms have helped uptick in manufacturing/construction jobs.

Mahakala
BGR Newbie

Post by Mahakala » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:37 pm

akshayapatra is isckon's org. Genuine afaik. They have a counter at the malleswaram temple for taking donations.

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:03 pm

zynda,

Tax reform will happen closer to senate bill as Republicans can afford to lose votes in house but not senate.

$10K deduction limit on property tax and SALT combined. Upper middle class people on the east and west coast are going to get hit. Many Indian families. Hopefully the removal of AMT will help.

When FED raises interest rates on Wednesday there may some sell off in the market.

Suraj
BGR Member

Post by Suraj » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:22 pm

Dileep wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:11 am
Suraj wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:20 pm
We need a facepalm icon here. OCI's categorization cannot be more clear:
Ask.. and thou shalt receive!! :facepalm:
Thank you, Dileep-etta ! Unlike in Peearreff I can add people to my foes list here . Mods can’t do that :)) :evil:

KJo
Forum Moderator

Post by KJo » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:33 pm

Zynda wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:03 pm
It seems like US economy is back on solid footing. Apparently, this month is the 86th straight of job increase/gains. Unemployment is back around to 4%. Markets are roaring. Supposedly labour market is strong again. Good for folks who are in US. I guess some executives orders by Trump, especially on culling EPA norms have helped uptick in manufacturing/construction jobs.
I have seen a distinct uptick in the number of inquiries I get on Linkedin for positions.
In my opinion, since the arrival of Trump, many companies are shying off from wholesale outsourcing or using H1Bs and have decided to go for hiring locals. This works to benefit US citizens and Green Card holders.

In the last 15 years, many companies had misused and bent laws, sometimes to their own long term detriment to hire foreigners and not locals. This seems to be changing though Trump has not done a thing yet.

nachiket
BGR Newbie

Post by nachiket » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:17 pm

Suraj wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:22 pm
Thank you, Dileep-etta ! Unlike in Peearreff I can add people to my foes list here . Mods can’t do that :)) :evil:
But apparently, if you had someone on your foes list prior to becoming a mod, they remain there :twisted:

saip
BGR Newbie

Post by saip » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:17 am

Few years ago I applied for OCI for myself and wife. Did not have any problems and was able to track the progress online. IIRC six weeks later I got my Visas. Today I filled out an app for a friend. It took about an hour and most of it was trying to adjust the signature to fit the specs. I will know in a few weeks how it went and if friend got her OCI. Procedure seemed to be straight forward and the docs needed are clearly mentioned.

Monday I intend filing OCI app for my son. Several years ago he filed for OCI and was issued one. He could not collect it as he was out of the country. It was returned by post office to the embassy and they could not track it at that time (this was before they outsourced it i think) Then he lost interest and never tried again. Let us see what happens now.

arshyam
BGR Member

Post by arshyam » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:22 am

Some people at my KB had volunteered at Akshayapatra's base kitchen in Rajajinagar (IIRC) in BLR. Genuine only, associated with Iskcon.

Marten
BGR Member

Post by Marten » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:53 am

Hello Mods - why the X-talk with BRF?

This is like the perfect Gotcha moment. :p

Dileep
Site Admin

Post by Dileep » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:22 am

Whaddayamean X-talk?

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:27 am

what would be a good free blogging site that will remain up and not vanish suddenly?
does google or msft have anything?

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:16 am

They wonder why we love cows. Look how the bull becomes gentle when he sees the man who fed it. Still people indulge in this bloody sport there.

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:02 am

western brutality is nutrition and tradition

eastern traditions are pagan and brutal.

Dileep
Site Admin

Post by Dileep » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:42 am

Singha wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:27 am
what would be a good free blogging site that will remain up and not vanish suddenly?
does google or msft have anything?
blogger.com (aka blogspot.com) is unkil googal's blog site. I used it for the few of my blogs, the latest being the seed blog for BGR.