Car and Bike thread

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
Karthik
BGR Member

Re: Car and Bike thread

Post by Karthik » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:33 pm

Rvishwakarm wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:32 pm
Booked Honda WRV last month and getting delivery on 17th(Dhanteras), what should i look for while taking the delivery, especially red flags?
What amount of fuel they put in while delivering the vehicle?

This is my first car and I have started taking driving lessons some 11 days back from Motor driving school(30 mins. driving per day) so by 17th it will be around 15 days of driving experience. Is it good enough to drive my car from showroom to my residence?

For people knowledgeable about Mumbai, the showroom is in Chembur and I have to drive till Andheri -East, should I take the risk of driving myself or take someone experienced with me?

My plan to drive slowly(20-30 km/hr) on the left most lane most of the time but my concern is narrow lanes in the route.
Did you mean right most lane? The one next to the divider? If not, driving on the left most lane is not you'd want to do on a brand new car, with just 10 days driving experience. Right most lane has two advantages, you just have to concentrate on the vehicles to your left, left/front, you don't have to worry on the right as you have the divider. One more is that you won't have to deal with 2 wheelers and autowalahs riding zigzag, which mostly happens on the left most lane.

Rvishwakarm
BGR Newbie

Post by Rvishwakarm » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:12 pm

Thanks all of you for your answers. Guess, I should take someone to drive the vehicle to my residence. Guess, a new vehicle at this stage will take time for adjustment and getting comfortable with. I learn on old honda city model and WRV is a bit different

@Karthik : Won't drivers behind kill me if I drive 20-30km/hr. on the right most lane? What you suggest is correct that I don't have to bother about other things except for the divider but I guess it won't be right thing to do to slow down the fast lane traffic.

Sridhar k
BGR Newbie

Post by Sridhar k » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:04 pm

Karthik I guess is talking about the right model in Chennai/TN and not MH/Mumbai. Unlike Chennai, Mumbai has very limited 2 wheelers and you can drive on the left lane a bit more peacefully

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:23 pm

Speed will not be the problem, don't fix a particular speed in mind, try to match the average speed of the traffic and that should be good enough. In the major metro cities I've driven so far, the guy behind you will always honk you to get out of his way or to to go supersonic so that he can follow you too, you don't worry and think about traffic more than necessary. I don't know how it's in Mumbai as Sridhar ji mentioned.

When I was new, whenever vehicles used to come from 2 directions or I wasn't sure if I have enough space to go through, I slowed to very slow speeds or even completely stopped vehicle and slowly maneuvered, sure enough people were honking, but that was the last thing I was worried about.

BTW, don't drive with your shoes on initially, it takes a little while to learn to drive with shoes on. Also make sure both side mirrors cover entire length of the vehicle. Seen people scratching and denting cars by not having complete view of the sides, especially while changing lanes and reversing.

Rvishwakarm
BGR Newbie

Post by Rvishwakarm » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:14 pm

Thank you Karthik, what you are saying wrt matching the speed with moving traffic speed is absolutely correct, that is what my Instructor tells me.

Since I asked this question to my instructor as well, his response was "Ghai mat karna"(don't rush) and since that day he is taking me to drive on busy main road for driving lesson.
For the first few days it was mostly in my colony and about turning corners(we have lots of them), U-turns, reversing and parking etc. Since the past 4 days, I am driving on International Airport road(Sahar Road). First time entering into that road was a nightmare, I was very nervous to see auto,people walking,assorted two wheeler on my left, vehicles overtaking me from right and beast BEST bus behind me. My first instinct was similar to you Karthik, to press the clutch and brake and wait in case of incoming traffic, but my instructor told me if you have to drive in Mumbai, don't try to wait out, you will be waiting forever, slow down and keep pushing, let the other vehicle change their course. Today, after 4 days I was relaxed driving on that road and braking was done by me(the training car has dual control i.e. clutch and brake on instructor side as well) and for the first time was driving in 3rd gear.

Have driven 2 wheeler in Chennai, I was there for 8-9 months. But most of the times I used to hide behind bigger vehicles at signal because of my MH number plate.I was caught only once that too because I lost my way back from Airport(Tambram). Was supposed to head towards Adyar where I used to stay but somehow lost at that big flyover near the Airport, the exits take you to different location and i took the wrong one, ended up asking direction from a Traffic constable(it was around midnight with no shops etc to ask for directions) who duly noted the MH number plate and left me only after taking Rs. 200 funnily he gave the direction in Hindi!!

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:49 pm

Cool, good luck.

V J
BGR Newbie

Post by V J » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:44 pm

Shandilya
BGR Newbie

Post by Shandilya » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:14 am

Need a two wheeler for quick errands around the city.

20 years back used to owe a good old Bullet with the original dhak dhak engine, the new ones look and sound so pansy-ish; plus every pankaj, abdul, amardeep, and raymond has one now-a-dins. So am going full softee and am inclined to buy a Activa this time around.

Any suggestions for alternate brand, model?

Primus
Forum Moderator

Post by Primus » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:14 am

V J wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:44 pm
Cool!

Hard to beat the X on innovation or carrying capacity though. And people who have this kind of money and really want the performance too, can always get the P100D which will blow the socks off almost anything on the market today.

There is no doubt in my mind that EV are only going to get more popular, which is a good thing. Tesla was the first one to make a luxury AND performance focused EV. Others were bound to follow.

Now if only they can come up with a really cheap (under $25K) fully EV car with at least a 200 mile range, it would be revolutionary.

Sridhar k
BGR Newbie

Post by Sridhar k » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:27 pm

Shandilya wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:14 am

20 years back used to owe a good old Bullet with the original dhak dhak engine, the new ones look and sound so pansy-ish; plus every pankaj, abdul, amardeep, and raymond has one now-a-dins. So am going full softee and am inclined to buy a Activa this time around.

Nothing beats an activa. Honda Aviator is better option if you alone would drive it. Suzuki access/Swish as second option if you intend to keep it for long. If u want resale after few years, nothing like activa.

If you share with shq, Yamaha Ray is a good option along with iactiva. I have a Ray and Enfield Himlayan

TVS/Hero engines are not as refined as the japs over time though they have other good qualities. Check out Aprilia as well

KarthikSan
BGR Newbie

Post by KarthikSan » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:28 pm

Shandilya wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:14 am

TVS Jupiter. Cheaper than Activa and better in most ways. Larger wheels, better suspension, good A.S.S. and as reliable as Honda. Maintenance costs are comparable.

Shandilya
BGR Newbie

Post by Shandilya » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:22 pm

Thanks,

Used to have a kinetic honda, when hero and honda were together. good scooter come rain or shine. But jupiter also seems like a good buy. need to test drive both activa and jupiter.

first i need to get my two wheeler driving license renewed, and add LVM to it from my massa car license.

Sridhar k
BGR Newbie

Post by Sridhar k » Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:20 pm

Jupiter is actually a better scooter. Wish they improve the refinement of the engine. Have all different makes in family. TVS engines becomes course after 20 or 30k.

V J
BGR Newbie

Post by V J » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:24 pm

Been riding a Jupiter since 2014 - its great!

They now have the NTorq 125:

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Tue May 15, 2018 4:14 am

With a very heavy heart finally put my baby on sale.
https://www.carsguide.com.au/cars-for-s ... 548d4#pos2
The V6 200 bhp was a treat to drive and rocketed on most roads. Hoping it finds a good caring buyer.
Just bought an LR discovery sport new edition. The new design is much more aerodynamic compared to the traditional discos. Looking forward to some off roading adventures soon

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Tue May 15, 2018 4:19 am

Our first choice was the Skoda kodiaq. It seems like the best value of money SUV on the market with good power and AT 4x4. Almost ended up buying it but the misus had the final say and we had to settle for the LR. If anybody is out there looking for an SUV I would still reccomend the kodiaq. The peugeot 5008 had the most stylish interiors of them all

Vikas
BGR Member

Post by Vikas » Wed May 16, 2018 6:36 am

Any advice on Car Garage for servicing GM Cruze in Mumbai (Between Andheri to Kandivilli) ?

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Thu May 17, 2018 1:11 pm

Cousin owns a service center but its in Dahisar. Reliable guy

V J
BGR Newbie

Post by V J » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:33 pm

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:23 pm

Guys, anyone owns RE Thunderbird? I love that bike, but owners are saying its very expensive to maintain and also issues such as vibrations.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:38 pm

all RE models (classic, TBTS etc) are expensive and have vibrations.

That is kinda what you buy an RE for :rotfl:

KarthikSan
BGR Newbie

Post by KarthikSan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:27 am

Karthik wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:23 pm
Guys, anyone owns RE Thunderbird? I love that bike, but owners are saying its very expensive to maintain and also issues such as vibrations.
I own a RE 350ES or Electra as it used to be called. Have had it for about 9 months and have rode on it for 6k kms. Maintenance costs are on the higher side. Oil changes at company scheduled free service costs about Rs. 1200/- which is about the same for our Alto K10!!! Haven't had any trouble with it yet. TBTS should be the same as it is mechanically mostly the same. Regarding vibrations - it is an old pushrod engine. Vibrations are inherent and that is the USP of it. If these owners wanted a smooth bike then they should get something else.

REs are supposed to be ridden sedately. If you want to ride it like a KTM or R3 or Ninja then get one of those. Most of the complaints of RE quality come from people who bought the bike thinking all bikes are made the same!!!

Sachin
BGR Oldie

Post by Sachin » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:09 am

What is the general take on Mahindra vehicles? I had a Maruti Wagon R for nearly 9 years and then bought a Mahindra Quanto* (for the liking for a bigging vehicle). The first 2-3 years was fun but after that things started going from bad to worse:-
1. Frequent engine troubles (Wagon R, in its 9 years had none) which actually got me stranded on the roads thrice. Issues with "Turbo" & "Intercooler" was the usual reasons. This has considerably reduced my confidence to go on long trips with family, as I don't know what problems would come up when.
2. Lack of spare parts. I don't know if it is a deliberate gimmick by Mahindra mechanics or the company. I need to replace an A/C vent, and for the past two years this component is "not available in any stores" (is what every Mechanic says).
3. The latest problem is the starting trouble, which the mechanics attribute to air seeping into some engine component. And other than suggestions to replace some pumps etc., there has not been any concrete identification of the problem.

Seeing my frustration levels some of the friendly mechanics and friends did say that Diesel vehicles in general start throwing up complaints after it crosses the 100,000km mark. My vehicle is now at 122,000kms. The advantages so far has been the lower diesel prices, and the comfort of sitting on a slightly elevated position and in a spacious area. Had taken it around some of the bad stretches in KL after the floods and chap did go through all that with ease.

* Quanto was also one of the models which Mahindra quickly & quietly pulled out of the market. But for me the damage was done.

Sridhar k
BGR Newbie

Post by Sridhar k » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:07 pm

Diesels don't run as smooth and longers as petrols in India unless it is Toyota or Renault engines. Even the Fiat mjds are good for 100k or 150k at max whilst Logan and innovas run for 400k without trouble. Mahindra engines fare better than Tatas ( have seen Scorpio xylo doing 200-250k while Tatas do max 150k.).

Sachin
Does ur quanto had microhybrid which cuts off power at junctions? Are you used to following the 2 mins turbo idling rule before switching off?

Sachin
BGR Oldie

Post by Sachin » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:59 am

Sridhar k wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:07 pm
Does ur quanto had microhybrid which cuts off power at junctions? Are you used to following the 2 mins turbo idling rule before switching off?
Yes, there is a device which stops the engine if it is kept idling (say at traffic signals). How ever this can be switched off, and I have kept it switched off. I generally stop the engine as soon as I reach my destination. I mean I don't keep the engine running at idle for 2 mins before it is switched off.

BTW, the latest problem has been identified due to a faulty pump. Due to which air is getting leaked into the fuel pipe leading to the engine.