Car and Bike thread

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
Mort Walker
BGR Member

Re: Car and Bike thread

Post by Mort Walker » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:23 pm

Sridhar k wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:56 am
Mort Walker wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:24 pm
Is anyone here into auto detailing? There seems to be a real lack of availability of good auto detailing materials in India. At least I can’t find them in major 2nd tier cities.

In India I find that many cars come without a clear coat unlike the US, even though they cost the same.
Not much personally but know a few of detailing enthusiasts in Chennai and Bangalore. One of them has quit his job and turned professsional. Lot of stuff is available through online. Check the detailing threads in gearheads.in

All cars in India does with clearcoat these days but get damaged soon pretty soon because the layer is very thin especially on the Jap origin ones. The other reason is due to bad maintenanance practices, rubbing and polishing done by local garages, authorized service centers. 3M rules the roost here and their products are on the abrasive side.
Last edited by Mort Walker on Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:23 pm

Sridhar k wrote:
Mort Walker wrote:
Is anyone here into auto detailing? There seems to be a real lack of availability of good auto detailing materials in India. At least I can’t find them in major 2nd tier cities.

In India I find that many cars come without a clear coat unlike the US, even though they cost the same.
Not much personally but know a few of detailing enthusiasts in Chennai and Bangalore. One of them has quit his job and turned professsional. Lot of stuff is available through online. Check the detailing threads in gearheads.in

All cars in India does with clearcoat these days but get damaged soon pretty soon because the layer is very thin especially on the Jap origin ones. The other reason is due to bad maintenanance practices, rubbing and polishing done by local garages, authorized service centers. 3M rules the roost here and their products are on the abrasive side.
Thanks. A few years back my BIL got an i10 and I noticed it had no noticeable clear coat and I saw other new Hyundai’s and Honda not having any noticeable clear coat.

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:03 pm

Guys, have you felt unmarked speed breakers are more dangerous than speeding 10-20 kmph more while riding 2 wheelers? Especially if you don't spot them and down't slow down, the vehicle lifts up in the air and if you don't control the "landing", you can fall pretty bad.

Sridhar k
BGR Newbie

Post by Sridhar k » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:19 pm

Yes Karthik. One of my friends had a fall and a fracture due to this.

Sridhar k
BGR Newbie

Post by Sridhar k » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:26 pm

Mort Walker wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:23 pm
Sridhar k wrote:
Mort Walker wrote:

Thanks. A few years back my BIL got an i10 and I noticed it had no noticeable clear coat and I saw other new Hyundai’s and Honda not having any noticeable clear coat.
Hyundai is actually much better than the Japanese ones. Most cars is apartment complexes are washed by watchman/ hired cleaners who wash the vehicle with plain water(generally hard water) almost daily. This results in oxidation and paint looks almost dull. The paint thickness on most Japanese cars in India ia very poor compared to Euro ones. Hyundai is betterbin comparison

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:53 pm

Skoda KodiaQ has been launched down under this year. While skoda is not a big brand here, the kodiaQ promises a lot for skoda and the customers. Its got great reviews internationally. Definitely worth checking out as I am looking for an upgrade soon for a medium sized suv. Not sure if it is to be launched in Bharat yet?

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:57 pm

Sridhar k wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:26 pm
Mort Walker wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:23 pm
Sridhar k wrote:

Hyundai is actually much better than the Japanese ones. Most cars is apartment complexes are washed by watchman/ hired cleaners who wash the vehicle with plain water(generally hard water) almost daily. This results in oxidation and paint looks almost dull. The paint thickness on most Japanese cars in India ia very poor compared to Euro ones. Hyundai is betterbin comparison
Just like most QC checks the exteriors dont go through much of a thorough review on Indian assembly lines compared to EU and Jaapaan. panel joints are wider, the paints duller and thinner and finishing lacks. The same Tata assembly plants for EU and international exports have more QC check points. It all boils down to the industry norms for the market.

Shandilya
BGR Newbie

Post by Shandilya » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:20 am

I am assuming the 12V cigarette lighter connection in Indian cars are of same specs as that in Massaland. What sort of 12V car appliances are in demand or can be useful to bring to India from Massaland?

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:03 am

On many vehicles in India, I do not recall seeing a 12V DC cigarette lighter connection.

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:07 am

Kabir wrote:Just like most QC checks the exteriors dont go through much of a thorough review on Indian assembly lines compared to EU and Jaapaan. panel joints are wider, the paints duller and thinner and finishing lacks. The same Tata assembly plants for EU and international exports have more QC check points. It all boils down to the industry norms for the market.
This is what I noticed too. It seems the Indian auto buyer is being fleeced. Even on barnd new show room vehicles, the paint and clear coat seem crappy. Another thing that annoys me is that dealers will let you have a puja blessing, but the buggers do not fill the vehicle with a full tank of fuel upon sale.

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:39 am

Shandilya wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:20 am
I am assuming the 12V cigarette lighter connection in Indian cars are of same specs as that in Massaland. What sort of 12V car appliances are in demand or can be useful to bring to India from Massaland?
A good quality multiport mobile charger is a must :D

Raju
BGR Newbie

Post by Raju » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:16 am

Mort Walker wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:07 am

This is what I noticed too. It seems the Indian auto buyer is being fleeced. Even on barnd new show room vehicles, the paint and clear coat seem crappy. Another thing that annoys me is that dealers will let you have a puja blessing, but the buggers do not fill the vehicle with a full tank of fuel upon sale.
not only Indian car makers but Indian govt also makes ch**tiye of public here. Most decent highways are toll roads, despite paying highest taxes per capita in world both for purchasing cars as well as purchasing fuel.

the reason for panel gaps is probably car makers not replacing panel dies that have reached their EoL with new onea and thus saving in some cash, they wouldn't dare do this in EU or US or even in ME.

Car makers skip on many safety features and most Indian models do not fare well on crash tests. Till date they are making unsafe cars with govt only talking about implementing crash test laws.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bharat_ ... nt_Program
^^ this is a proposed program, not yet implemented and we are nearing end of 2017.

Also India has no lemon laws, and car makers routinely sell cars to unsuspecting customers which develop niggles from first month. VW and LR were famous for palming off defective cars in India for huge sums. It costs ₹40-50 lakh in Indian money to buy a half decent car in India like 3-series, audi a4, merc c-class, LR disco, something which you take for granted abroad.

Aditya_V
BGR Member

Post by Aditya_V » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:39 am

We Indians love to boast 2Km extra milage still have greater pickup , car must cheap to buy and cheap maintenance. Its no secret Maruti does well because they always a discount available for the serious buyer and will buy existing Maruti(higher resale) at a Higher price.

Sridhar k
BGR Newbie

Post by Sridhar k » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:11 am

Aditya
How is your ecoboost doing?. I am exploring ecosport to replace my swift next year. Hearing that Ford is coming up with a new set of engines

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:22 am

Seems MH has also slashed VAT on petrol and diesel. Hope all states agree to let GST cover petrol and diesel.

sum
BGR Newbie

Post by sum » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:23 am

Raju wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:16 am
Mort Walker wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:07 am

not only Indian car makers but Indian govt also makes ch**tiye of public here. Most decent highways are toll roads, despite paying highest taxes per capita in world both for purchasing cars as well as purchasing fuel.

the reason for panel gaps is probably car makers not replacing panel dies that have reached their EoL with new onea and thus saving in some cash, they wouldn't dare do this in EU or US or even in ME.

Few years back, when my relative bought a then luxurious honda city, the car stopped 500m from the showroom because buggers had put only so much petrol.

To avoid that, when my dad was buying a car, he insisted a full tank but the guys were hesitant as if the car was being asked for free. :evil:
They finally agreed only when dad threatened to walk out without buying.

All this just for 200 rs worth tank of petrol for a 10L car!!

Aditya_V
BGR Member

Post by Aditya_V » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:25 am

Sridhar k wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:11 am
Aditya
How is your ecoboost doing?. I am exploring ecosport to replace my swift next year. Hearing that Ford is coming up with a new set of engines
Doing well going for 3 rd year service later this month so far no issues, apart from 0-5 or 10km in 2nd gear in cities it is a real pleasure to drive especially on Highways

Sridhar k
BGR Newbie

Post by Sridhar k » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:14 pm

^^Thanks

Raju
BGR Newbie

Post by Raju » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:42 am

so yesterday one of my relatives came visiting in his brand new scross, he got a discount on it because there has been a model facelift and the dealer was interested to clear up old stocks. Now my wife so happened to lean against the door panel during conversation and felt the panel folding/crumpling behind. Now she is not overweight or anything, just around 75 kg-ish. I had the misperception that atleast for premium models like scross, maruti used to have better sheet metal than the routine papad variety that they have in 'new baleno', ciaz, brezza etc. I nursed this perception that scross was somehow better built than the tin cans they usually roll out of their floor. But alas even that is not to be.

Honda's new models like wrv, brv, mobilio, new city, amaze, 'new' jazz are also certified tin cans with sheet metal the size of oridnary coke cans. Most companies in India want to now follow this route it seems.

Mahakala
BGR Newbie

Post by Mahakala » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:06 am

Not sure of our policy to linking other forums but Sept car sales numbers -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-ca ... lysis.html

The sales chart shows that sales have been accelerating and that gst put a minor bump in its path. Perhaps sales might've been even higher without it.

Rvishwakarm
BGR Newbie

Post by Rvishwakarm » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:32 pm

Booked Honda WRV last month and getting delivery on 17th(Dhanteras), what should i look for while taking the delivery, especially red flags?
What amount of fuel they put in while delivering the vehicle?

This is my first car and I have started taking driving lessons some 11 days back from Motor driving school(30 mins. driving per day) so by 17th it will be around 15 days of driving experience. Is it good enough to drive my car from showroom to my residence?

For people knowledgeable about Mumbai, the showroom is in Chembur and I have to drive till Andheri -East, should I take the risk of driving myself or take someone experienced with me?

My plan to drive slowly(20-30 km/hr) on the left most lane most of the time but my concern is narrow lanes in the route.

V J
BGR Newbie

Post by V J » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:51 pm

Marten
BGR Member

Post by Marten » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:54 am

Rvishwakarm wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:32 pm
Booked Honda WRV last month and getting delivery on 17th(Dhanteras), what should i look for while taking the delivery, especially red flags?
What amount of fuel they put in while delivering the vehicle?

This is my first car and I have started taking driving lessons some 11 days back from Motor driving school(30 mins. driving per day) so by 17th it will be around 15 days of driving experience. Is it good enough to drive my car from showroom to my residence?

For people knowledgeable about Mumbai, the showroom is in Chembur and I have to drive till Andheri -East, should I take the risk of driving myself or take someone experienced with me?

My plan to drive slowly(20-30 km/hr) on the left most lane most of the time but my concern is narrow lanes in the route.
Congrats Bro, drive fearlessly. Mumbai is faaaaar better than other cities in lane discipline because Pandus don't have the time to catch small fry so will simply fine everyone. For the first drive, since you are unfamiliar with the car, it might make sense to get someone to drive it home. OTOH, if you are the fearless persona that you appear to be, and have the confidence, drive home yourself. Fuel will be probably 2-3 ltrs only. Make sure you drive first to a pump and tank it up before heading out.

Mahakala
BGR Newbie

Post by Mahakala » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:05 pm

Get someone to drive it home for you man. Easier and you wn't have any scratches or dents to regret. Then start driving :) Known roads and known traffic > entirely new stretch for a first timer.

Sridhar k
BGR Newbie

Post by Sridhar k » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:02 pm

Avoid any offers of teflon coating etc from the dealership. There is pre delivery checklist in team bhp which you can use as a guide. Unless you are a serious enthusiast, some of the reco may be over the top for an a am abdul