Cricket

The Archive forum serves as a repository for topics that have been closed from the other forums. They serve as a database for future reference.
nachiket
BGR Newbie

Re: Cricket

Post by nachiket » Tue May 21, 2019 9:47 pm

I fail to understand the logic behind some of the selections for the WC squad. They are going to cost us dear if things don't immediately go according to plan.

For example, what is Ravindra Jadeja doing in this team? We already have 2 spinners - Chahal and Kuldeep. One or both of them are likely to play all the games. Plus we have Kedar Jadhav who can fill in as well. On the other hand, we have no back up whatsoever for Bumrah, Shami and Bhuvi. If god-forbid one of them picks up an injury we will be down one fast bowler with nobody to immediately replace him. Jadeja's place should have been occupied by one of the backups like Navdeep Saini, Mohammad Siraj or Deepak Chahar, whoever the selectors think is next in line.

Second is Vijay Shankar's selection. Is he supposed to bat at No. 4? Why? Why not choose Pant or Rayudu instead? Why is he needed with Hardik Pandya in the team?

The number 4 problem can be solved by pushing Jadhav or Dhoni himself up to No. 4. Dhoni takes a while to get going these days and is probably better up the order than when we need quick runs. Rishabh Pant with his hard hitting would have been invaluable in the middle order, especially looking at the pitches in England where even 350 does not seem enough.

Shakuni
BGR Newbie

Post by Shakuni » Thu May 30, 2019 4:58 am

Number 4 seems have been wrested by KL as of now. I really think this will be a high scoring WC, and someone like Pant will be sorely missed.
Also, agree about Jadeja - wasted spot!

Peregrine
BGR Newbie

Cricket

Post by Peregrine » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:55 am

SCORE CARD

BATSMAN-------------------------------------------------------RUNS-BALLS)---4S---6S----SR

KL RAHUL---c Babar Azam b Wahab Riaz----Batting –----057----(074)----03---02---073.08

ROHIT SHARMA –-------------------------------Batting-----113----(101)----10----03---116.49

VIRAT KOHLI-----(C)----------------------------Batting----024----(031)-----01---00---077.42

TOTAL : 206 / 1

Cheers Image

Muns
Forum Moderator

Post by Muns » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:33 am

Somewhat of a little paranoid regarding cricinfo eery parallels to 1992 when Pakistan lost their first four matches and then went on to win the World Cup. I really hope that the lose just one more and the team can return confused about how 1 Momeen is not equal again to 5 Kufr.
Pant as well has joined the team to replace Dhawan, then maybe he can fit into the number four slot. I only hope that the West Indies don't pull off another stunner over us.
Carlos Braithwaite "remember the name" almost pulled a rabbit from the hat with his fantastical hitting. All it takes is one of them really to get going.
DreRus however seems to be out of the World Cup. While I always support the West Indies, I just don't want them to win against us. :facepalm:

Muns
Forum Moderator

Post by Muns » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:00 am

India go on to play the West Indies tomorrow. Hopefully one or two more wins and we would qualify for the semifinal. However, Pakistan in their last of do or die 4 game matches have gone on to beat some African as well as New Zealand. Their next match against Afghanistan will be pretty much a cakewalk.
They will then face Bangladesh and odds are in Pakistan's favor to win that and proceed to the Semi final. After the West Indies, India face England. Looks like, Bhuneshwar Kumar will be back into the team. Hard to see how they will drop Shami after his hat trick as well.
Pant could also make his entry into the middle order. However, hasn't had much middle time and we can only hope that he comes through from the get-go.
In other news, Universe Boss Gayle wants to be around after the world cup to play the one-day series against India.

Muns
Forum Moderator

Post by Muns » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:21 am

Well it turns out it was thrashing by India of the West Indies. Great opening spell by Shami as well.

In other news however, I seem to like the Orange Jersey for team India. Too bad it has already created so much controversy.

Muns
Forum Moderator

Post by Muns » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:28 pm

Afghanistan, pretty much had this game in the bag. Idiotic over really by Gulbadin Naib giving 18 runs of the over really gave it away. The spinners had full control of the game and suddenly he comes on with his slow to medium pace allowing for a string of boundaries to be made.

Not just that, poor fielding as well will really get the Afghan Supporters irate at such a missed opportunity. Prior to the game even a couple of clashes occurred between bought both Afghanistan and Paki supporters.

Nice to see the Amul brand on the Afghan Jerseys.....sadly history missed....

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

crams
Forum Moderator

Post by crams » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:47 pm

Afghans threw away a game they had in their pockets and in the process helped Paki terrorists inch closer to a semi final spot. Interesting possibilities open up depending on the remaining matches. TSP Vs Bangladesh will be one of the key matches.

Muns
Forum Moderator

Post by Muns » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:33 am

So, with India losing to England, how much more difficult would it be for Pakistan to make it to the semis?

Muns
Forum Moderator

Post by Muns » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:18 am

So reading through some of the news today, it seems that India losing to England has really ticked off a lot of Pakistanis. Not sure of that loss was really a win? In any case it has made things quite difficult for Pakistan. Tomorrow is India's game against Bangladesh. Vijay Shanker is now out with a toe injury. This leaves a relatively weak middle order i feel. Chahal got smacked around and the last match but apparently it was really because of a short boundary that the English took full advantage of.

Pant has joined the team, but I would really like to see him back as an opening batsman and keep the left and right and combination and bringing someone with a little bit more solidity to the middle order. Maybe move KL Rahul to the middle order.
Against England it seems, that he lost the first 10 overs and could not really accelerate from there. Granted it was quite large score that they posted. Shami those seems to be in some quite fine form. Hardik surprisingly has been quite capable with the back as well as the ball even with his continuing bounces as well.
Hopefully we can get through Bangladesh and seal our semifinal spot. Our match after that would be against Sri Lanka. Two good chances to see our spot.
England then have a tough game against New Zealand. If they win that, then they are in.

Muns
Forum Moderator

Post by Muns » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:24 am

How England's win affects Bangladesh and Pakistan

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id ... h-pakistan

Primus
Forum Moderator

Post by Primus » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:34 am

I don't understand the system at all. I am sure India is in the semis. Question is, who will they play? I expect it will be NZ or England again. They haven't played NZ this WC so it will be an interesting match to watch.

Muns
Forum Moderator

Post by Muns » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:11 am

So I got to see the highlights tonight of the India Bangladesh match. I think I take back my statement when I wanted KL Rahul to shift down the order. I think he is perfect where he is. Somewhat of a risk on the conditions today by leaving out Kuldeep, but if really seem to pay off. I can’t remember when we had such a dependable same attack with four pace bowlers who did quite well overall.

Even some of the Pakistanis seem to envy our pace attack. Bumrah and Bhuvi opening seem to do a good job. Shami took a little bit of stick today but still classy and on target bowler.
Even Hardik had a really good outing with the ball with his grunt short ball effort. His effort ball seemed to surprise some batsmen and he landed up with the wickets. Really turning out to be good all rounder.

The middle batting order still seems pretty weak to me. I only feel it is because Rohit has been hitting century after century that would be getting away with this.
Even bringing in Dinesh Kartik, does not really give a sense of solidity to the middle order. It’s too bad that Prithvi Shaw, couldn’t be brought in or given more one-day experience. Now he is another fantastic talent.
The other thing is that, if England lose to New Zealand and Pakistan beat Bangladesh then Pakistan on through to the semifinals. I’m really playing that England beat New Zealand or Pakistan lose to Bangladesh.
Last thing I need to see from my nerves is India Pakistan final…..

Muns
Forum Moderator

Post by Muns » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:41 pm

Pakistan Pretty much out of the world cup with England beating NZ!!....mathematical miracle if they make it...
If Bangladesh bat first all done...pretty much all done as it is...

Peregrine
BGR Newbie

Cricket

Post by Peregrine » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:25 pm

Cheers Image

Muns
Forum Moderator

Post by Muns » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:38 pm

Going through some of the news media sites with regard to why they lost is simply astounding. Multiple news sites seem to believe that the reason that Pakistan is not in the semifinals is because all deception of India intentionally losing to England and to prevent Pakistan’s chances. Fortunately, now it’s just a matter of time before their exit. Indeed now it is all a question of trying to protect the “izzat” (respect) of Pakistan and Islam.

In doing so the “Imaan” (faithful) of the “Momin”(believers) has been seriously challenged. Hence, we are starting to see multiple of the stories that seek to find the easy answer about yet again why the “Momin” are being kicked out of the tournament. This while their infidel neighbors India are going to finish in the top 2 in the semifinals.

The only answer they can seem to find is because of deception. The faithful cricket team were held back from entering the semifinals only because of India and not their continual previous losses including being bulldozed by the West Indies for just 105 runs.

Peregrine
BGR Newbie

Cricket

Post by Peregrine » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:42 pm

Cheers Image

Muns
Forum Moderator

Post by Muns » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:02 pm

I'm not sure what Rohit Sharma has been having for Breakfast, but I would definitely like to Start off my day with that. Some absolutely incredible batting. Has hit 5 hundreds in the last 8 games. Kl Rahul has also seemed to solidify his opening position with Dhawan leaving.

At this stage it looks likes South Africa has placed a really good score as well. Not sure Australia really a can really overhaul 320 plus runs from where they are at. If that is the case then India ends up at top of the points table and will likely claim New Zealand in the semi final.

Pant coming back seems to have added more fire power to the middle order. Hopefully his fire power is more consistent.

Reading some of the articles the other day about Rayudu, Well I never really considered him an explosive batsman, I do feel that he was hard done and forced to retire. Not sure why Agarwal was called as a second replacement even forgetting him. For a while it was he that led the middle order.

Muns
Forum Moderator

Post by Muns » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:34 am

In a few hours India’s break for the final will start. To some extent I’m glad that we are taking on New Zealand first. India’s batting order seems to of solidified and if I have the choice, I would go with Shami and Bumrah as New ball pacers. Hardik has done well with his effort ball bounces but there’s always the potential that Kane Williamson could pull him out of the park.

New Zealand has always struggled before with India’s spinners. Chahal has not really hit his stride in the last few matches. I’d like to bring back Kuldeep and maybe continue with Jadeja as he always is a great fielder and a pretty nifty batsman as well down the lower order.
So that would mean, Bumrah, Shami, Hardik, Kuldeep and Jadeja.

My XI would be
1) Rahul
2) Rohit
3) Virat
4) Pant
5) Dhoni
6) Kedar Jadhav
7) Hardik
8) Jadeja
9) Bumrah
10) Shami
11) Kuldeep

let’s see how things turn out. India are favorites for the match.

Muns
Forum Moderator

Post by Muns » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:10 am

Team management pretty much did the opposite of what a lot of us were thinking and went with Bhuvi over Shami and Chahal over Kuldeep. Dinesh Kartik found favor over Kedar Jadhav. Still it seems that Bhuvi had a great first opening spell and we managed to restrict them, before play starts on the reserve date to 211 for 5 in 46 overs. With already the major batsmen out for New Zealand we got about four overs to really make what I suspect will be a score of around 230. This will mean that India will have the best chance you’re making the final.

However it will really come down to an opening spell by Boult and whether Rahul and Rohit can weather the storm. After that we have on paper pretty much the Indian dream team that you think should easily overhaul a score like this nine times out of 10.
Let’s see, on one hand, you want to see middle order get some batting practice so that they can be prepared for the final. Rohit though is in such fine form, that you want him to continue. However some of the newcomers should really try to put their hands up including Pant and Kartik.

Everybody though wants to see another 50+ innings by Dhoni in his last World Cup games however.
I would say the bowlers have done the damage, now it’s time for the batsmen to take this home.

Primus
Forum Moderator

Post by Primus » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:26 am

It is a sad story, I started watching a bit late by the time 3 had fallen, now it is 48 for 4 and it looks pretty much impossible from here on. Dhoni is nowhere near what he used to be (can't blame him at his age). One could make excuses for the pitch and the air favoring swing after the rain yesterday, but if you are playing at this level you ought to be able to weather the storm.

Oh well, if we lose, which seems inevitable, I would want NZ to go on and win the finals too.

Next time we would probably (hopefully) have an even better team.

Muns
Forum Moderator

Post by Muns » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:09 pm

Kohli and Co need to perform some serious tapas for this.....how the h##* can the top 3 go for 3 runs....this team had it all...a valiant fight from Sir Jadeja....no words

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:31 pm

Call me one of the few...

They made it to the semi-finals which is great and the players will still make millions, but I'm kinda glad the Indian team lost. The real competition is on 15 July 2019 at 2:51AM IST, until then this ICC World Cup is a distraction that country does not need.

Muns
Forum Moderator

Post by Muns » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:48 am

I agree with you Mort. I think I agree with what Kohli had to say as well. Pretty much 40 minutes changed their whole outcome to the match. There was never really any recovery when our top three batsmen fall for three runs.
Just some damn unfortunate luck. The throw by Guptill to get rid of Dhoni was a stunner. The catch to get rid of Kartik…. Well what can I say. In the end it was really just not our day.
I agree, time to focus on Chandrayaan 2…… Will help to lift everybody’s spirits if it goes well.

crams
Forum Moderator

Post by crams » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:16 am

Mort/Muns, what exactly do you mean "real competition is on 15 July 2019 at 2:51AM IST, until then this ICC World Cup is a distraction that country does not need"? Call me challenged, but I don't get it.