Nukkad

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
vishvak
BGR Member

Re: Nukkad

Post by vishvak » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:16 am

Wonder ever how those who didn't bath even once a day are selling shampoo in India or is it us who want to copy such a behaviour as more civilized.

As more people are out of poverty are these people doing just the same? i.e. more shalpoo imports from the same people.

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:19 am

Opinion | A better life outside India
You’ve probably been part of a wishful drawing room conversation discussing how the time may have come to leave India and seek a better life elsewhere. Like me, you might even know someone who has left or is due to leave soon. Maybe you are one of those parents who urge their children graduating in international universities to stay put and not be in a hurry to rush back home.

There are enough reasons to leave if you have the resources or the opportunity. In New India, unity hides in a cast-iron statue, its syncretic history compressed in a structure that’s only 183m tall. From dystopian bovine-related lynchings and other targeted hate crimes to air pollution—that murderous equalizer that doesn’t care about your religion, caste, gender, economic background or political affiliation—there are an increasing number of threats your privilege can’t protect you from. Jobs are scarce, and the incidence of cancer is rising alarmingly.

It’s no wonder that 17 million people opted out of India just last year—and this during a time when the migration of our unskilled workers fell by 25%, according to the Asian Development Bank’s Asian Economic Integration Report 2018. We topped the list of people leaving their countries—China was a distant second at around 10 million.

In recent months, human rights activists have been jailed, elected representatives spew hate speech and any dissent is labelled anti-national. An anti-establishment Facebook post could always get you jail time in India, but now even forwarding a WhatsApp meme against the prime minister can result in an arrest. Once we reacted to such news with outrage, now we shrug.

It’s clear to everyone that politics will just get uglier before the 2019 general election. You are at an additional disadvantage if you are a religious minority, woman, Dalit or even the parent of a young child who has a one in two chance of encountering sexual abuse. It’s no wonder people are saying bye.

As we found out earlier this year, an Antiguan passport can be had for ₹1.3 crore and a handful of other Caribbean destinations are quite competitively priced. While the US, UK, Canada and Australia have been favourite migration options for Indians for as long as I can remember, countries such as Belgium, Sweden and Norway are making it to our list too, according to a report in The Times Of India that quotes ministry of external affairs statistics for 2017.

For young professionals, a better quality of life at these last three destinations is just an airplane ride away. In January, my neighbours Astrid and D, both 32, will leave for Gothenburg, Sweden, where D has found a job as a project manager. They’ve been thinking of moving for the last three-four years, largely because of health and safety reasons and because of an increasing awareness of their religious minority status.

“I’ve never had asthma but these past few years every couple of months I’ve had terrible attacks. The moment I leave Bangalore I’m fine,” says Astrid. Additionally, she says, tracking India’s rape culture has terrified her so much she has stopped her newspaper subscription. “I don’t feel safe here. I love wearing dresses and little shorts but I don’t feel comfortable wearing them here. I even carry a stole every time I wear anything sleeveless and the moment I feel someone staring, I cover up. I realize that I’m changing,” she says, adding that she’s linked her Ola and Uber apps to her husband’s so he knows every time she takes a cab. “We are Catholics and both of us feel like foreigners in our own country.”

When they tried out the Swedish experiment earlier this year, they found they missed nothing about Bengaluru except their families and a few close friends. “Many Indians tell us we will find it difficult to adjust but in our minds we are like, ‘no we fit in really, really well. It’s here that we find it difficult to adjust’,” says Astrid, who’s learning to cycle before she leaves. The couple also plans to learn Swedish so their new country of residence is an easier fit. {I dunno how easy it is to get permanent residency status in Sweden & I do hope they get what they want, but I also hope that they temper their expectations about staying out of India for ever}

Which brings us to the question that’s hanging over many of our heads these days. Why do those of us who can leave, stay? Maybe we stay for those who can’t leave—our parents, our grandparents, or even friends who might need our help if things get worse. Maybe we want to fight for what we believe is our idea of India. Or maybe it’s more selfish. Maybe we stay because we know we won’t be able to exploit household staff in Europe, or because we know that there will be no one to fetch us a glass of water every time we holler. Maybe we stay because it’s easier to carry the burden of slurs such as urban Naxal and anti-national than racial slurs we are likely to face elsewhere. Maybe we are still here because the world is increasingly being ruled by quasi fascists. Here at least, we are boss of our own backyard.

Maybe we stay because we feel like there’s no place like India, even if what we call India is essentially the beautiful bubble we’ve created for ourselves. My bubble, for instance, has blue skies, great weather, wide pavements, amaltas and gulmohur. I work from home so my bubble is traffic free. We reside in a mixed neighbourhood and my bubble is largely harmonious; my daughter’s two best friends are Muslim and Christian.

Sure we shake with rage and despair every time we sneak a peek out of our bubble, but maybe that’s not enough to start from scratch someplace else. Maybe we stay because despite everything, this is home.

Priya Ramani shares what’s making her feel angsty/agreeable.

She tweets @priyaramani

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:07 am

It’s no wonder that 17 million people opted out of India just last year
Sounds BS to me. So, India's population must be decreasing from last year to this year. What are those countries that are taking in 1.7 million Indians every year?

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:55 am

^^Yep. That number sounds way too high...probably the author (she) made the number up.

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:20 pm

^^hope most people with such mindset as the author leave india for good. If you have this kind of a mindset you can do no good to the country anyways.I had a colleague who started whinging after 2014 and that she was thinking of selling her b'lore apartment and move overseas. I started giving her real estate agent contacts and even potential buyers. She got confused as to why I would do so. I simply used to reply that I am just trying to help

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:50 pm

I do believe that creating new jobs will be an issue for India. Approximately 10 million jobs per annum will need to be created for the next decade or so. A little scary if you give it some deep thought. Ageism will become an issue going forward. Our population addition each month is simply too high to match with job creation.

ArjunPandit
BGR Newbie

Post by ArjunPandit » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:23 am

hanumadu wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:07 am
Sounds BS to me. So, India's population must be decreasing from last year to this year. What are those countries that are taking in 1.7 million Indians every year?
I don't know how she's making up no's esp these large.
Nevertheless, there's been an increasing trend to relocate to Canada with easy life or better job. I know many friends b who did it on last few years. Even I'm shifting out too.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:52 am

ArjunPandit wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:23 am
hanumadu wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:07 am
I don't know how she's making up no's esp these large.
Nevertheless, there's been an increasing trend to relocate to Canada with easy life or better job. I know many friends b who did it on last few years. Even I'm shifting out too.
There's no doubt given a chance lot more than 17 million people would like to go out of India every year. But are they really doing it is my point.

ArjunPandit
BGR Newbie

Post by ArjunPandit » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:14 am

Kabir wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:20 pm
^^hope most people with such mindset as the author leave india for good. If you have this kind of a mindset you can do no good to the country anyways.I had a colleague who started whinging after 2014 and that she was thinking of selling her b'lore apartment and move overseas. I started giving her real estate agent contacts and even potential buyers. She got confused as to why I would do so. I simply used to reply that I am just trying to help
good one. At the same time we need Indians outside to take up the case of India. There are far too many gangadeens

ArjunPandit
BGR Newbie

Post by ArjunPandit » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:24 am

I for one seriously doubt that no. I mean how does one find out this no? Indians surrendering citizenship traveling abroad? What do we do with students traveling abroad
The most reliable sources will be adding no.s from Canada (easy to migrate), us Singapore uk (other common destinations). Even there, citizenship is a long time. Like I shuttled between us and India every two months. Did that make me one relocating abroad.
Middle East I'm no sure, Peaceful and professionals go there, but don't think citizenship is granted there.
Any non govt data is going to be full of errors and would not rely on it heavily. Yes there's a trend but thats still way less than IT/finance rush

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:39 am

Amongst the younger generation another driver is lack of cultural awareness towards India. If you take the cultural and core value system (e.g. ideal family life) away, there is not much which appeals to the younger generation about India especially when media keeps drawing comparisons with the west. For NRIs the best thing to do on their India visits is to explain to the younger relatives or friends who look upto them about the importance of being born in India and other aspects such as ideal family and social life. It may sound a bit hypocritic at first but people will not have any reason to doubt if it comes from someone who has been outside and still feels why India is better. It will not stop people from looking out but they will certainly draw comparisons on those aspects when abroad and not tend to drift away behind something which is only superficially 'cool'.

shravanp
BGR Member

Post by shravanp » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:51 am

Has anybody joined gutrgoo? It's teetar alternative but completely desi owned. With Jack meeting up with Raul, SM battles may not be as easy as before. I have joined gutrgoo and am urging all to move over and quit teetar.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:36 am

I did. I posted about it in the SM thread. Some others from here joined it too.

KJo
Forum Moderator

Post by KJo » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:09 pm

shravanp wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:51 am
Has anybody joined gutrgoo? It's teetar alternative but completely desi owned. With Jack meeting up with Raul, SM battles may not be as easy as before. I have joined gutrgoo and am urging all to move over and quit teetar.
Jack met with Modi also.

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:47 pm

since twitter blindly supports librandus, they will continue there while RW tend to join gutrgoo etc. This will dilute RW force on SM , besides gutrgoo et al will only get popularized if Modi & Co join. they still have 6 months to do this.

rsingh
BGR Newbie

Post by rsingh » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:06 pm

Kabir wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:39 am
Amongst the younger generation another driver is lack of cultural awareness towards India. If you take the cultural and core value system (e.g. ideal family life) away, there is not much which appeals to the younger generation about India especially when media keeps drawing comparisons with the west. For NRIs the best thing to do on their India visits is to explain to the younger relatives or friends who look upto them about the importance of being born in India and other aspects such as ideal family and social life. It may sound a bit hypocritic at first but people will not have any reason to doubt if it comes from someone who has been outside and still feels why India is better. It will not stop people from looking out but they will certainly draw comparisons on those aspects when abroad and not tend to drift away behind something which is only superficially 'cool'.
Sir, most of the NRIs are more aware of Indian values and culture then Indians living in India. This topic was beaten to death on BR. Lets not make assumptions.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:34 am

twitter

That's true

No Nehruji- no indira ji

No Indira ji- no rajiv ji

No Rajiv ji- no Rahul ji

No Rahul ji- you wouldn't be a PM Modi ji

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:04 pm

The cyclone Gaja in TN

The waves are higher than the pamban bridge in Rameshwaram and a guy on a two wheeler is actually crossing the bridge.

Here is the video.

https://twitter.com/NaMuGC/status/1063395803010617344

Narasimha
BGR Newbie

Post by Narasimha » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:49 pm

chetak wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:04 pm
The cyclone Gaja in TN

The waves are higher than the pamban bridge in Rameshwaram and a guy on a two wheeler is actually crossing the bridge.

Here is the video.

That is not Pamban bridge and video is of some other bridge

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:37 am

Narasimha wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:49 pm
chetak wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:04 pm
The cyclone Gaja in TN

Here is the video.

That is not Pamban bridge and video is of some other bridge
It looks like you are right. Good catch.

sorry for the gaffe.

Fact Check: Video showing waves engulfing Pamban bridge is fake

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:46 am

video

twitter

Can’t stop watching this - incredible. Renaud Levilleni breaking Sergei Bubka's 21 year old world record of 6.16 m*

https://twitter.com/AdvaitaKala/status/ ... 3759739904

chilarai
BGR Newbie

Post by chilarai » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:06 pm

good lord finally ! I remember days when every 3rd day the news would be Bubka breaking his own record by a micrometer !

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:41 pm

chilarai wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:06 pm
good lord finally ! I remember days when every 3rd day the news would be Bubka breaking his own record by a micrometer !
Even Isinbayeva used to that in the women's pole vault. Break it by a few millimeters every time. Every world record broken earns them a huge sum of money, could be one of the drivers.

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:45 pm

rsingh wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:06 pm
Kabir wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:39 am
Sir, most of the NRIs are more aware of Indian values and culture then Indians living in India. This topic was beaten to death on BR. Lets not make assumptions.
Thats what I have mentioned in my post. Not sure if that was beaten to death too. That the onus falls on NRIs when resident Indians think that the greener pastures appear more greener than they really are and whats really core to us. I guess you understood it the other way round. I guess it would be very kindergartenish to say - that indian people should explain to NRIs why India is more important than foreign land... we wouldn't be on BRF then. :D

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:16 am

twitter

What age were you when you first saw the 8 in the middle of the 8 of diamonds?