The Great Indian Political Drama - 2 (Mar 2018 - Oct 2018)

The Archive forum serves as a repository for topics that have been closed from the other forums. They serve as a database for future reference.
chetak
Forum Moderator

Re: The Great Indian Political Drama - 2 (Mar 2018 - )

Post by chetak » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:55 pm

India’s Necklace of Diamonds – Garlanding China

India’s Necklace of Diamonds – Garlanding China
October 12, 2018

Coming out of the shadow of the ‘Panchsheel’ principles, Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been ticking all right boxes, especially when it comes to counter India’s most compelling competitor, China. As both cooperation and deterrence are integral parts of any foreign policy, what Prime Minister Narendra Modi has achieved in the last four years to secure India’s interests, as far as China is concerned, is worth noting. Prime Minister appears to be not only engaging with China but also parallelly replying to one of its unofficial strategy of “String of Pearls”, through creating an unofficial deterrence. We have made an attempt to decode this.

First of all, What is China’s String of Pearls?

According to experts, it is an attempt by China to encircle India through maintaining and developing its strategic bases in countries around India, such as Pakistan, Maldives, Myanmar among others which will help in confining India to its own land and limiting its influence on the neighbouring countries. This also provides China with an easy access and control over the vast Indian ocean. Interestingly, even when China continued to pursue this strategy, however unofficially, previous government of India had no reply to it.

This string of pearls phenomena in the background of recent Chinese ‘One Belt One Road’ strategy has got a further boost as China is now not only focussing on countries around India but going further to Central Asia and Africa.
So, what is India’s answer to this unofficial strategy now?

India’s Necklace of Diamonds

Some strategic experts have always talked about a potential necklace of diamonds (strategic bases) that India can use to garland China or deploy the very Chinese strategy of encirclement. They have even hailed it as India’s answer to China’s string of pearls. However, this looked like a distant reality a few years ago, but with the changing geo-strategic realities and a ‘power’ push from the top leadership of India in recent times, there is now a significant progress towards this seemingly distant goal.

Let us analyse the emerging pattern from India’s recent foreign policy pushes, especially in the background of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visits.

India Building its Strategic Bases (Mining the Diamonds)

Changi Naval Base, Singapore – Prime Minister Narendra Modi paved the way for signing of a significant agreement between India and Singapore which provided Indian Navy ‘direct’ access to this naval base. This is crucial as Indian navy ships can now not only refuel but even rearm while sailing through the South China Sea.

Sabang Port, Indonesia – India got the military access to a strategic port like Sabang in 2018, located right at the entrance of one of world’s most famous choke point, Malacca Strait. This is one of the most significant agreements, as India now holds the strategic position in the Indian ocean through which large chunk of trade and crude oil passes on to China. Indian Naval ship INS Sumitra had visited Sabang Port recently.

Duqm Port, Oman – India leveraging its rising status in the Indian Ocean gained strategic military access to this port in 2018, located on the south-eastern seaboard of Oman which protects Indian interests in the western theatre of the Indian Ocean, especially for facilitating India’s crude imports from the Persian Gulf. Moreover, it is now an Indian facility located right between the two important Chinese pearls (bases) Djibouti in Africa and Gwadar in Pakistan.

Assumption Island, Seychelles – Overcoming the initial resistance, India is now developing this naval base in Seychelles, first agreed in 2015. Both the countries have continued to work on the project which gives the military access to India. This particularly signifies India’s increasing strategic presence not only in Indian ocean but also in the African continent where China is desperately trying to penetrate through the maritime silk route.

Chabahar Port, Iran – Prime Minister Narendra Modi signed the contract for development of this port in 2016. This port provides India access to Afghanistan and a precious trade route to Central Asia. In fact, India is reportedly about to begin operations at the Iranian port soon. This will give an unprecedented boost to India’s plan to increase its co-operation and contacts with Asian and Central Asian countries.

India Developing its Existing Strategic Assets (Polishing the Potential Diamonds)

India, Asia and Central Asia

Ashgabat Agreement & INSTC –

India joined this multi-modal transport agreement in 2018, to access Central Asian countries like Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, which are western neighbours of China.

In recent times, India has been seen increasing its engagements with various countries in Central Asia. This is essentially reflected in the remarkable increase of India’s trade with Central Asia from approximately $ 750 Mn in 2012-13 (here) to almost $ 1.5 Bn in 2017-18 (here). This is a growth of 100 per cent in the last 4-5 years.

In 2015, Prime Minister Narendra Modi became the first Indian prime minister to have visited all five Central Asian countries in one go, since their formation.

Ashgabat agreement has provided India land connectivity to Central Asia if seen in conjunction with the International North-South Transport Corridor (INSTC) in which India has hugely invested. This gives a clear view of the picture that India is not only escalating fast towards establishing connectivity to Russia but is also expanding its routes to all Central Asian countries like Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Kirgizstan and Tajikistan.

India, East Asia and South East Asia

Mongolia –

Mongolia is a country which is sandwiched between two giant neighbours, Russia and China. It has been actively looking to widen its relations with other countries, also known as its “Third Neighbour Foreign Policy”.

Notably, it was Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision to develop India’s relationship with Mongolia. Factually, PM Narendra Modi was the first Indian Prime Minister to have ever visited Mongolia, which is situated right in the backyard of China. This was particularly a strategic move to hint China that if it dares to come and play in and around India, we will no longer tolerate such overtures and can respond back methodically.

The Prime Minister announced a credit line of $ 1 Bn to Mongolia. Mongolia has already started the construction of its first ever oil refinery using India’s credit line which will end its dependency on fuel from neighbouring countries like China and Russia.

A recent visit by External Affairs Minister (EAM) Sushma Swaraj to Mongolia in April 2018, which was also by an Indian EAM after the gap of around 42 years. Further, an important point which advertently gave this crucial relationship a boost was that India and Mongolia decided to establish an air-corridor which will end Mongolia’s dependency, a landlocked country, on China which keeps threatening it by land blockages. This gave a bargaining chip to Mongolia which it can easily leverage against China.

So, due to all these mindful efforts, a symbiotic relationship has been established between India and Mongolia. Both the countries have come closer than ever before and Mongolia is emerging as a diamond in India’s necklace.

Japan -

Japan is the Chinese neighbour on its north-eastern frontier. It has always felt threatened by the rise of China. By and large, the complementarities between Japan and China don’t exist.

In fact, Japan has been aligned to USA’s camp since the days of cold war. India is its recent emerging special strategic partner to counter China’s influence.

As soon as Prime Minister Narendra Modi went to Japan in 2014, Japan and India elevated their relationship and arrived at a “Special Strategic and Global Partnership”.

Not only this, India and Japan signed the long-pending civil nuclear agreement in 2016. This has been a major achievement of the Modi Government, as India is the only country outside of the Non-Nuclear Proliferation Treaty (NPT) that has been signed by Japan for civil nuclear cooperation.

Further, India and Japan are working together on a game-changing Asia-Africa Growth Corridor (AAGC) which is being seen as a counter to China’s One Belt and One Road Initiative (OBOR) initiative. China is so rattled by this plan that one of its leading news agencies found it a ‘division plan’.

This clearly shows that China is actually upset by this India and Japan’s joint strategic move on the ever-evolving ‘grand chessboard’ of Asia and Africa. Undoubtedly, Japan is the natural diamond of India’s necklace.

Vietnam –

Strengthening its deterrence against China, Vietnam, the south-east neighbour of China has been increasingly bestowing its full cooperation with This recently saw a greater boost when Prime Minister Narendra Modi visited the country in 2016, after a gap of almost 15 years.
This is also reflected in “Comprehensive Strategic Partnership” between India and Vietnam.

Further, India upped the ante by holding a joint naval exercise in 2018 with Vietnam in Vietnamese waters, the region is in proximity to the South China Sea. Chinese media reported it as a futile attempt to flex muscle.

After much hesitation under the previous regime, Brahmos missiles deal with Vietnam is now in the advanced stage.

India has also expedited the process of supplying high-speed patrol boats for Vietnamese coast guards.

India’s satellite monitoring station in Vietnam, which is going to be activated soon, suggests that India is now ready to play a more constructive role in the South China Sea than ever before.

So, in recent times, Vietnam has emerged as yet another important diamond in India’s necklace, which will particularly be helpful to maintain a balance of power in the South East Asia region.

Conclusion

After looking at all the facts, it can be said that India in recent times has worked incessantly towards asserting itself to achieve a better strategic cooperation with other countries. India’s recent policy shift from Non-Alignment to Multi-Alignment also reflects in the above discussion. India is not only developing the existing strategic bases (diamonds in its necklace) but also building newer bases, as well.
Further, India is fast developing routes to reach Central Asian countries. All the countries discussed above have shown great interests in connecting and working together with India. Some of them are cooperating with India to increase their trade relations, while others to maintain the ‘balance of power’ in specific regions.

Resultantly, an explicit pattern has emerged from India’s recent foreign policy pushes that India has befriended with almost all the countries in China’s periphery, and in the way, this is giving India the strategic access. This pattern can be seen in the necklace of diamonds that garlands China.

Supratik
Forum Moderator

Post by Supratik » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:45 pm

Looks like Sabarimala protests could churn Kerala politics like never before.

RajaRaja
BGR Member

Post by RajaRaja » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:46 pm

crams wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:53 pm
Anyway, like you said even I am enjoying the salacious details on the harassment cases involving Lutyen gangsters. Latest I read is that sanctimonious prik Suhel Seth being accused of some pretty nasty conduct. Lets enjoy it while it lasts. Finally, I don't think M.J.Akbar should resign just because a bunch of self appointed women's rights activist Bimbos want him to.
I disagree, M. J. Akbar will have to resign or else one expects he will be fired. It is abundantly clear now that he has been a serial molester.

Also go easy on the use of word "Bimbo", I don't know what part of India you are from, but in our part i.e. North, addressing women derogatorily is considered against our cultural and religious norm, no matter what.

shravanp
BGR Member

Post by shravanp » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Haldiram wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:46 pm
crams wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:53 pm
Anyway, like you said even I am enjoying the salacious details on the harassment cases involving Lutyen gangsters. Latest I read is that sanctimonious prik Suhel Seth being accused of some pretty nasty conduct. Lets enjoy it while it lasts. Finally, I don't think M.J.Akbar should resign just because a bunch of self appointed women's rights activist Bimbos want him to.
I disagree, M. J. Akbar will have to resign or else one expects he will be fired. It is abundantly clear now that he has been a serial molester.

Also go easy on the use of word "Bimbo", I don't know what part of India you are from, but in our part i.e. North, addressing women derogatorily is considered against our cultural and religious norm, no matter what.
Reminds me Yeddurappa. BJP folks are expected to resign on moral grounds, get shamed etc...cuz we love 'clean certificated' folks

KL Dubey
BGR Member

Post by KL Dubey » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:22 pm

We never had an Indian Einstein, but we certainly seem to have the Indian Weinstein. :mrgreen: :(

The number of women reporting abuse by Weinstein is something like 80. Let us see how many Akbar gets. :cry:

crams
Forum Moderator

Post by crams » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:03 pm

Haldiram wrote:

We have to agree to disagree or we have to disagree without being disagreeable :-).

Oh please, spare me this sanctimony. When I say Bimbos, I am talking about the useless metro elites who are making the most noises about 'metoo'. These Bimbos are a bunch of deracinated programmed slaves who follow white women to the dot. And BTW, these very same Bimbos detest with contempt the 'cultural and religious norms' of North India or South India; that is their underlying gripe. Because if they had any self respect, they would be fighting to enforce these very norms and not look to Asia Argento for deliverance (who BTW is herself a sexual predator :-))

Sachin
BGR Oldie

Post by Sachin » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:16 am

Supratik wrote:Looks like Sabarimala protests could churn Kerala politics like never before.
And that is actually more worrisome. Because if politics take a higher precedence, it would fizzle out the actual genuine protest of Hindu devotees (the real common people). Every political outfit (including BJP who first just ignored the verdict) is now trying to milch the sentiments of the poor devotees. What is now happening is also an attempt by the communists (with abetment from minority religions) to split the Hindu society on caste lines. And some of the recent utterings made by some "devotees" (?) have been really bad in nature, which is now getting used to tarnish the image of the other wise peaceful movement. The chief priest & the Pandalam Royal family has been trying to time and again remind every one that this is movement is to protect the faith, and not to abuse any person or political party.

Chandragupta
BGR Member

Post by Chandragupta » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:01 am

crams wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:03 pm
Haldiram wrote:

We have to agree to disagree or we have to disagree without being disagreeable :-).

Oh please, spare me this sanctimony. When I say Bimbos, I am talking about the useless metro elites who are making the most noises about 'metoo'. These Bimbos are a bunch of deracinated programmed slaves who follow white women to the dot. And BTW, these very same Bimbos detest with contempt the 'cultural and religious norms' of North India or South India; that is their underlying gripe. Because if they had any self respect, they would be fighting to enforce these very norms and not look to Asia Argento for deliverance (who BTW is herself a sexual predator :-))
If you're calling them bimbos, you're actually letting them off easily. I would use harsher words for a lot of them (not the ones who have been raped/violently harassed). A lot of these women were in the fore front of abusing dharma & Hindu festivals, in mocking our values & traditions and cheered on these 'woke liberal' rapists in their humiliation of Hindus including women. You should see the kind of abuse & mockery these same women subject the Hindu women rooted in tradition who celebrate Karwa Chauth & Rakshabandhan.

All I can say is it is their own karma coming back to bite them in the ass and I am 100% sure they will learn ZERO from it and double up on whatever they were doing before - which is abusing Hindus/Dharma & our traditions/values even more despite the rapists all being non-Indic in values, non-Hindus in religion & all of them communists/leftists.

KL Dubey
BGR Member

Post by KL Dubey » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:30 pm

Congis starting to fall apart in CG....the state 'working president' rejoins BJP.

https://m.timesofindia.com/india/congre ... 192174.cms

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:35 pm

Supratik
Forum Moderator

Post by Supratik » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:11 pm

Kerala govt headed for clash with devotees on Sabarimala.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... sdnrK.html

srikumar
BGR Member

Post by srikumar » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:56 pm

The first accusation against Salman Khan comes. Dont know the credibility level of this but....(Caution- this is a rambling message and some stuff about black magic included).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwIPg4JqGlU

My biggest thing in all this is that if second grade actors/film personnel have harassed women, what about the big actors and established stars. Are all of them innocent of such activities? Randhir Kapoor had famously talked about the casting couch 10 (?) years ago? For an industry that has had no policing, and no oversight (and given the state of policing and court sytem in India, this is no surprise) it is inconceivable that the bigwigs are innocent.

shravanp
BGR Member

Post by shravanp » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:54 pm

Supratik wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:11 pm
Kerala govt headed for clash with devotees on Sabarimala.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/india-ne ... sdnrK.html
So it is Trupti Desai (who once contested elections on Congress ticket) is spearheading this nonsense. Congress filthy hands are everywhere.

la.khan
BGR Newbie

Post by la.khan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:46 pm

Now, Vinod Dua is caught in #MeTwo storm :oops:

BTW, as per this URL, Prannoy Roy & Vinod Dua fell apart. This is news to me; any idea why?

Sachin
BGR Oldie

Post by Sachin » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:31 pm

shravanp wrote:So it is Trupti Desai (who once contested elections on Congress ticket) is spearheading this nonsense. Congress filthy hands are everywhere.
It was a multi-pronged attack. One group was a group of lawyers from North India, who decided that the faith system at Sabari Mala was discriminating. I don't think the petitioners have even visited Sabari Mala in their lives. Then there are characters like Trupthi Desai who have no clue (and faith in) of Lord Ayyappa and Sabari Mala, who just wanted to prove a point by going there. The lawyer group is now pretty much silent. But Trupthi Desai has been making these kind of "will enter by force" kind of statements time and again. Add to it the communists of Kerala who wanted customs to be changed so that they can claim that as one "social reformation" done by them. Other than Kerala communists, all the others are from North India.
Supratik wrote:Kerala govt headed for clash with devotees on Sabarimala.
I don't think it would escalate to that level. The communist state government has clearly realised that they have taken more than what they can eat. The initial euphoria from the communist ministers of the latest "social reformation" have all now died out. The communists then tried splitting the Hindus on caste lines, but that also only had limited success. There seems to another meeting convened between Government and their side kick the Devaswom Board on one side and the chief priest and the Pandalam Royal family on the other side. There has been very peaceful protests conducted all across the state and the number of people attending these marches have really got the government's undies in a knot. There was an attempt to force women police constables to enter Sabari Mala, but the state's Intelligence Wing clearly highlighted that women PCs may not be willing and forcing them may cause more long term damage. And add to it more hot-heads like Dr. Thogadia now in Kerala, making his "usual style" of statements. So the state government is now desperate to some how solve the issue peacefully.

Supratik
Forum Moderator

Post by Supratik » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:44 pm

Vinod Dua and Seema Mustafa have both moved from Congress to far-left.

crams
Forum Moderator

Post by crams » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:11 pm

Good op-ed by Tavleen Singh a long time. She seems to straddle between her Lutyen coterie and the real world. She correctly writes in this op-ed that metoo shit is largely drive by western wannabe Lutyen ellite women who have no touch with the real issues that average Indian women face

https://indianexpress.com/article/opini ... p-5400987/

In response, I tweeted the following. One to support her, and the other in response to that Uncle Tom Sadanad Dhume for his phony objectivity

Replying to @tavleen_singh

India has many fault lines, none more pronounced than westernized deracinated elites (just as Macaulay wished) who see themselves as colonial heirs Vs those either rustic or simpletons with pride in their own customs and traditions which imitators of metoo contemptuously detest

Replying to @dhume @sunetrac @tavleen_singh
Coming from an Uncle Tom hypocrite like you, this is artificial objectivity. I agree with the column, but had this been written by someone else with pro-BJP leanings, you would have gone berserk & penned a useless slavish column in the WSJ about the regressive BJP & RSS attitudes

Supratik
Forum Moderator

Post by Supratik » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:17 pm

It seems MJ Akbar has resigned.

crams
Forum Moderator

Post by crams » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:04 pm

^^^ I hope thats not true. Where did you read that.

But here is what makes my blood boil. I haven't done so till now, but now I will call this scum bag Navjot Sidhu a vile comical traitor. He apparently has more in common with Pakis than SDRE Tamils. Look at the b@stard's condescension, Oh I don't mind eating a few idlis and I can understand a 'few words' of 'their' language, but my I love Pakis so much because they speak Punjabi. Bloody sick moron, what an insult to all those fellow Sikhs who laid down their lives battling the very same Punjabis that Sidhu so adores. And look how he is playing to ISI script, playing on Sikh sentiments on their desire to see that corridor opened for pilgrimage.

http://www.rediff.com/news/report/can-r ... 181014.htm

If there should be any outrage, it should be against traitors like Sidhu not M.J.Akbar who at best must have taken advantage of a bunch of chics who were making themselves easily available. Please note, I am against exploitation, but this kind of rif raff stuff is between the alleged actors, not a national obsession. (When I was in grad school, I used to chat with a very funny hard core republican white cop at a local Dunkin Donught coffee place. He told me that he is sick of responding to 'date rape' complaints only because most of them are so grey and border on fraud. Apparently, many times, chics take in a lot of alcohol, go to a guy's dorm, take their clothes off, and last minute feel guilt as he was going to hit that sixer, the woman backs off :-). And the guy scores anyway. Now how does one prove that this was actually 'rape' or an act of passion based on mutual consent?)

Raj Malhotra
BGR Newbie

Post by Raj Malhotra » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:38 pm

In the meantime, secular Sarkar of David Bhai arrests a student for stating true history.

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/swarajya ... -in-prison

Namo Namo

Supratik
Forum Moderator

Post by Supratik » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:45 pm

Some news outlets are reporting that Akbar has send his resignation. Modi does not need these distractions in an election year. Bringing in Akbar and putting him up as minister was itself a mistake.

crams
Forum Moderator

Post by crams » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:48 pm

^^ I agree, of MJA does not go, outlets like UnDy will hound the living shit out of ModiJi, and given its international following for "news" from India, this could be a PR disaster for BJP in an election year. You have enough traitors and Uncle Toms who write for western rags who will demonize BJP. But at the same time, I feel that just because a bunch of useless Bimbos make allegations years after the alleged groping took place, and MJA is forced to resign, it sets a bad precedent. It makes BJP look weak and the Bimbos will go to town singing we won. Pretty soon, some other Bimbo will come out making wild allegations against somebody else higher up in BJP, and then the flood gates are open. So the trick for ModiJi is to manage the fallout from MJA and ensure there are no copy cat allegations. My own feeling is MKA should stay on for a while longer, and when the dust settles, silently step aside. He won't be able to function anyway given the cloud that has been cast over him.

KL Dubey
BGR Member

Post by KL Dubey » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:33 pm

For those who are worried about possible SP-BSP combine in UP and its recent win in the Kairana bypoll, some good analysis here:

https://www.opindia.com/2018/05/politic ... ed-to-win/

It basically summarizes what I have been suggesting about the difficulty of transferring votes between various potential MGB parties.

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:32 am

crams wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:04 pm

But here is what makes my blood boil. I haven't done so till now, but now I will call this scum bag Navjot Sidhu a vile comical traitor. He apparently has more in common with Pakis than SDRE Tamils. Look at the b@stard's condescension, Oh I don't mind eating a few idlis and I can understand a 'few words' of 'their' language, but my I love Pakis so much because they speak Punjabi. Bloody sick moron, what an insult to all those fellow Sikhs who laid down their lives battling the very same Punjabis that Sidhu so adores. And look how he is playing to ISI script, playing on Sikh sentiments on their desire to see that corridor opened for pilgrimage.
Sad part is that even that kind of a statement from the opposition wouldn't give a nationalist party like BJP any extra space in TN politics nor would it dent any congress chances. If Siddhu was still with the BJP he would have been skinned alive for this statement by the same 'Jallikattu Protestors' on social media and every where by now.

srikumar
BGR Member

Post by srikumar » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:47 am

crams wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:04 pm

But here is what makes my blood boil. I haven't done so till now, but now I will call this scum bag Navjot Sidhu a vile comical traitor. He apparently has more in common with Pakis than SDRE Tamils. Look at the b@stard's condescension, Oh I don't mind eating a few idlis and I can understand a 'few words' of 'their' language, but my I love Pakis so much because they speak Punjabi. Bloody sick moron, what an insult to all those fellow Sikhs who laid down their lives battling the very same Punjabis that Sidhu so adores.
It is much worse than that. He has probably forgotten the partition killings where his co-religionists were massacred just because they were Sikhs, by the preceeding generation of the very people he hugged so warmly. The stories of murder are truly hair-raising... like Sikh groups who were trying to escape (exfiltrate) from West Pakistan into India had to kill their own women (in their group) so that they could avoid a terrible fate (one can guess) at the hands of marauding Pakistanis killing Hindus and Sikhs. (I've read atleast 2 different accounts of this kind of killings-it was unbelievable. These stick out over other massacre stories I read, But yes, if they speak Punjabi, this is forgotten. Truly puzzling...