Cricket

The Archive forum serves as a repository for topics that have been closed from the other forums. They serve as a database for future reference.
Kabir
BGR Member

Re: Cricket

Post by Kabir » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:24 am

hanumadu wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:29 pm
This innings is a god sent for Dhoni. He has a perfect excuse for dibble dabble, make an half century and say he is still the best.
I haven't seen a single Indian batsmen come down the pitch for the spinners and hit them out of the ground to upset their line and length.
After the days of Ganguly and other international players of his era I haven't seen any international batsmen do that nowaydays. Its mostly muscle power by stand and deliver t20 shots or manufactured sweeps and reverse sweeps. Gautam Gambhir is the last I could remember (arguably the best Indian batsman of spin) along with Sehwag who would dance down the pitch and whack 'em. Its becoming a lost art now, something which Indians completely dominated once to unsettle the best spinners of the world.

Sunny
BGR Newbie

Post by Sunny » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:07 pm

Every cricketer eventually declines no matter how good they were at their peak. Dhoni is 37 and has played over 500 full internationals - that’s a lot of cricket considering he also kept wicket for most of those.

Don’t blame Dhoni for losing his batting skills however he should have the self awareness to realise what he’s doing to the team.

Unfortunately with the World Cup less than 12 months away there isn’t even enough time to groom a youngster into the role so the team is probably stuck with Dhoni until after the WC.

Edit: if Dhoni goes now Karthik will probably take his place - this is a man who has played ODIs for 14 years yet sill averages under 30.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:58 pm

can't wait for the tests to start. murali looks to be in touch. not worried about che puj...he'll grind it out. these two are critical in away series.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:07 pm

Crossing fingers our bowlers come good. Bhuvi not playing is a set back. Dry conditions not helpful to our bowlers though batsmen may like it. I would rather have swing and seam and trust our batsmen to come good rather than our bowlers get wickets on dry wickets.

England has selected a legspinner for tests who retired from county cricket and only plays the short forms. Damn, even England thinks low of our batsmen's ability against spin.
Joe Root is their key batsman if the wickets are spinning.

I really really hope we do not play Dhawan the entire series, no matter how the other openers do. And I hope they don't do jugaad by promoting Karthik to opening. KL Rahul deserves an extended run at the top.

Sunny
BGR Newbie

Post by Sunny » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:25 am

Pujara’s form is a worry - failed in every first class match for yorkshire (averaged 14 in 6 matches), didn’t have the opportunity to score much vs Afghanistan and now has failed twice in the warm up match.

Need more from him than 80/90 ball 20s and 30s.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:48 am

^^This is exactly what happened with him during the previous tour. 20's and 30's. Obviously his technique is not suited for english conditions. With Dhawan and Pujara ruled out, we are effectively playing with a 15 member squad.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:43 pm

great bowling from ashwin..and shami as well.

hardik is adequate...would be good if he can pick a wicket now and then instead of just giving rest for the others.

something off with umesh..why he 's not with regular runup? looked different

Sunny
BGR Newbie

Post by Sunny » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:08 pm

Kohli could have been out 3 or 4 times today - really hope he can make the most of his luck.

Terrible batting from India today - I don’t know why they have to go after so many wide balls. Some of these wicket balls the batsman could have just left alone.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:14 pm

habit...its hard to overcome..the amount of t20s and odis you play where these shots are instinctive and muscle memory

see ball, hit ball - worked for sehwag, but he was able to intimidate and demoralize bowlers. the others have to learn to leave until they get sure of conditions

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:08 am

Sunny wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:08 pm
Kohli could have been out 3 or 4 times today - really hope he can make the most of his luck.

Terrible batting from India today - I don’t know why they have to go after so many wide balls. Some of these wicket balls the batsman could have just left alone.
The first drop on 21 was a genuine nick to a genuine outswinger. The second was a wide ball that Kohli chased and the catch was at best an half chance. Yes, he could have left both alone. It seems he did leave a lot of balls alone but still needs to work on his english pitches technique.

Shakuni
BGR Newbie

Post by Shakuni » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:33 am

Half the dismissals were unforced errors. Especially KL - this guy plays T20s with a test match technique, and gets into a test match and slogs. Dhawan is a totally unsuited to English conditions. Our bowlers batter better than the batsmen. India will lose onlee! :)) :)) :))

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:04 pm

i have hopes for rahul, he's young and will learn

dhawan - i gave up...he's an instinct and confidence player..but does not grind when necessary. got out twice in same manner..did not learn from the past tour...

KJo
Forum Moderator

Post by KJo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:07 pm

Our useless team is hell bent on losing this match.

Only VK rules.

Sunny
BGR Newbie

Post by Sunny » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:45 pm

Excellent test match so far - hope Kohli/Karthik/Pandya can see India over the line.

For the next match i would replace Umesh with Jadeja because at the moment the tail is far too long.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:31 am

^^That's exactly what we did for many many years - include half batsmen in the hope they will score runs if top order fails. Never worked. Jadeja did not score well overseas before, neither will he now. The top order has to get its act together. No point in weakening the bowling which doesn't exactly have a stellar record overseas.

Umesh has proved his worth by taking crucial wickets in this match so far and at a better economy that he usually bowls at.

Sunny
BGR Newbie

Post by Sunny » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:10 pm

hanumadu wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:31 am
^^That's exactly what we did for many many years - include half batsmen in the hope they will score runs if top order fails. Never worked. Jadeja did not score well overseas before, neither will he now. The top order has to get its act together. No point in weakening the bowling which doesn't exactly have a stellar record overseas.

Umesh has proved his worth by taking crucial wickets in this match so far and at a better economy that he usually bowls at.
Yes I agree that bowlers win you test matches especially overseas but if you look at England's performance over the past few days their number 8 basically won them the match with his runs in both innings. These days lower order runs are very important.

At Lords I'd go with:

Dhawan
Vijay
Rahul
Kohli
Rahane
Karthik
Pandya
Ashwin
Jadeja
Ishant
Shami

Or if you want to play Pujara then drop Dhawan and open with Rahul.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:30 pm

A few moments here and there would have swung the match.

Curran was impressive...left arm is good for England because all their current crop is similar bowlers.

I don’t mind the loss. 5 match is a long series.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:02 am

After the first two matches last time, we were like wait till Kohli and Pujara join the party. They never did.
Now we are waiting for the entire top order to fire except Kohli. Our bowling is improved though. Hope they can maintain the intensity for 5 tests.
Hope Bhuvi gets fit and joins after the first three tests, though I doubt it will happen.

We have to graduate from coming close to winning series overseas.

sbajwa
BGR Member

Post by sbajwa » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:54 pm

Bhuvi and Bumrah!!!

Suraj
BGR Member

Post by Suraj » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:02 pm

I see no reason to fiddle with batting depth going forward. We want the rest of the top to do better, not increase the number of batters because they didn't perform well in one match. And we want as much or greater penetration from the bowlers. Wonder if Lords is good for Cool-dip . I'd much rather they were struggling to stay afloat with a cameo from #9, than us.

RajaRaja
BGR Member

Post by RajaRaja » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:50 pm

As Nasser Hussain rightly pointed out, Kohi should not have allowed England from a position of 87/7 to add another 93 runs for the last 3 tailender wickets, his captaincy under the circumstances does come is question. Ultimately those extra runs proved decisive. At 87/7 England was comprehensively lost, at 180 AO + 13 = 193 it was comprehensively back in the match with good chances.

If I had to make one change, I would replace Hardik Pandya with Kuldeep Yadav, the top order batters need to learn to apply themselves.

sbajwa
BGR Member

Post by sbajwa » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:52 pm

When England can try their 20 years old Curram. Why can't we try Shivam Mavi, Nagarkoti, Shubman Gill and Prithvi Shaw

sbajwa
BGR Member

Post by sbajwa » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:53 pm

Haldiram wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:50 pm
As Nasser Hussain rightly pointed out, Kohi should not have allowed England from a position of 87/7 to add another 93 runs for the last 3 tailender wickets, his captaincy under the circumstances does come is question. Ultimately those extra runs proved decisive. At 87/7 England was comprehensively lost, at 180 AO + 13 = 193 it was comprehensively back in the match with good chances.

If I had to make one change, I would replace Hardik Pandya with Kuldeep Yadav, the top order batters need to learn to apply themselves.
Absolutely! He should have called Dhoni asking for points!

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:59 am

Loss reminded of one of the saddest days in Indian cricket, that dramatic batting collapse against Pakistan where Sachin batted with a back injury and we lost the match with very few runs may be 12 or something. Kohli was the lone factor here. India played really well to make it so close in the first match of the series against a good test playing side. I hope they put this ghost behind and pump up for the next match. so near yet so far. It was also great to see Ashwin fire so well on the english pitches, speaks volumes about his world class status. Now is a good time to get Kuldeep Yadav along side to try out in the next match

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:21 am

Kuldeep Yadav instead of Umesh Yadav. Surprising selection. Umesh took 3 wickets last test. With the rain, green pitch and only 4 days of play left, the pitch might not even turn than much. And it might rain today too. Hope this will turn out to be an inspired selection but I think they sorted Kuldeep out, especially Joe Root.