Nukkad

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
Primus
Forum Moderator

Re: Nukkad

Post by Primus » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:07 pm

chetak wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:36 am
Watch what happens after the Dutch Prime Minister dropped his coffee !

https://twitter.com/PawanDurani/status/ ... 7831688193
I had this sent to me by a classmate who lives in the Netherlands is anti-Modi. He used this to illustrate how 'liberated' western leaders are and how Indian democracy is such a sham.

This is the norm at least in my experience for any corporation or office in the US, nothing to do with political leadership. Heck in my own company if I dropped coffee I would clean it up myself. However, it is doing the usual WA rounds in the Indian community as a 'lesson to be learned' from the big white people. I bet if he had dropped the coffee in his own office without cameras or other people present he would have called the cleaning crew to clear the mess.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:51 pm

Primus wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:07 pm
chetak wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:36 am
Watch what happens after the Dutch Prime Minister dropped his coffee !

https://twitter.com/PawanDurani/status/ ... 7831688193
I had this sent to me by a classmate who lives in the Netherlands is anti-Modi. He used this to illustrate how 'liberated' western leaders are and how Indian democracy is such a sham.

This is the norm at least in my experience for any corporation or office in the US, nothing to do with political leadership. Heck in my own company if I dropped coffee I would clean it up myself. However, it is doing the usual WA rounds in the Indian community as a 'lesson to be learned' from the big white people. I bet if he had dropped the coffee in his own office without cameras or other people present he would have called the cleaning crew to clear the mess.
I agree, saar.

A clever photo op. Even in offices in India, many would naturally do the same self cleanup effort.

srikumar
BGR Member

Post by srikumar » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:24 pm

This king cobra is a really scary beast. Imagine the venomousness of a regular cobra but with 3 times the length, and as thick as a python. It is unbelievable, except that is actually exists. I heard that it is an extremely aggressive type of snake (which typically try to avoid human contact).

morem
BGR Newbie

Post by morem » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:20 pm

saip wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:04 pm
Yesterday I watched Black Panther movie. One of the characters I heard say something like 'Power to Hanuman' Did I imagine it? (CC clearly showed the word Hanuman)
you did not imagine it , there was a minor fracas over it , appropriating culture etc.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-religion-of ... 1823354320

https://www.thequint.com/entertainment/ ... beeped-out

arshyam
BGR Member

Post by arshyam » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:22 am

srikumar wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:24 pm
This king cobra is a really scary beast. Imagine the venomousness of a regular cobra but with 3 times the length, and as thick as a python. It is unbelievable, except that is actually exists. I heard that it is an extremely aggressive type of snake (which typically try to avoid human contact).
Yes, I heard the same: that they try to avoid human contact. Some documentary on TV was showing that - the King Cobra will watched the showcaster quietly for a few minutes and then simply turned and went back into the forest.

Maybe that's why people worship it - it does not unnecessarily attack?

P.S. that's really a magnificent snake in that pic.

vishvak
BGR Member

Post by vishvak » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:55 am

There used to be normally groves in households in Kerala where medicinal plants were grown and King cobra would make home. Wouldn't hurt anyone.

I think being top of food chain, the King would stroll out at night and clean up extra infestation (rats, little snakes) that outgrow in its territory that was its food.

It is vry intelligent by its own. It can kill smaller prey by using its muscles alone, like python, to save poison.

Video as far as snakes go in spirituality that was noted across cultures in all Continents.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5V7tLJAu_I

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:58 am

Known to devour other normal cobras with ease. Its surely the last word when it comes to snake power. I guess its a direct descendant of Vasuki the king of snakes. Sometimes these snakes can block an entire road in the western ghats when they are crossing. I have witnessed one myself. Not a single car moved everything stood still including the monkeys. You feel mixed emotions watching one, awe, feeling a lesser mortal and just respect.

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:30 am

srikumar wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:24 pm
but MUCH larger quantity of venom. supposedly enough to kill an elephant. :shock:

rsingh
BGR Newbie

Post by rsingh » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:45 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKd2QVrQVIM

True gold. Never followed crowd. Served me perfect every time. Was known to be weird Haryanvi. Never chased girls. Just a lil mysterious smile and that always did the trick. Never used to speak much in class. some people used to say that I am weird guy who doesn't like to introduce himself. Then one fine day ( 10th class) teacher asked if anybody can come front and speak on any topic ( without preparation). I went to him and asked what on what topic I have to speak. I was asked to speak on why sunlight is red or yellow in morning but white in day time. Gave him answer from Physics and Geography ( I studied Encyclpedias in University library, which was 500 meters from my domus). Sala teacher ka dimag hil gaya. Naxt he asked me to speak about "Forest Day " which was in the same week. Again gave a nice speech using "How it is done in Canada" ( again not learnt in class). Sala hero ban gaya. Never took tuition. life sahi hei

AbhishekC
BGR Newbie

Post by AbhishekC » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:54 pm

chetak wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:44 am
twitter
Excuse the French but I found this direction board in a hotel in Italy. (Translated to conference hall)

So it refers to Robert Vadera?

srikumar
BGR Member

Post by srikumar » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:49 pm

^^^ Sure... if one assumes that the Congress party is mainly and exclusively the Gandhi family ....

Chandragupta
BGR Member

Post by Chandragupta » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:26 pm

Would anyone have any idea about what is a good way to ship e-commerce packages from India to the world (Europe/NA)? I see Chinese vendors offering free shipping or even sub $5 shipping rates to the US, on Aliexpress. How is that possible? I pay more than this much for a Delhi-BLR courier, for example.

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:07 pm

am myself reaching a point where i will be cold observer of 2019 rather than getting involved like 2014. I used to be kada bhakt.
All this circus of doing nothing on RJB front, JK spiraling out of control, temple loot, RTE has left me dejected.
Yes there has been infra development but what has been done to preserve our culture and heritage? We have wanna bes all over.
Person like Ketli running the roast and Su Swaraj appeasing Pakis!! Thanks but no thanks.

I only hope there are not more like me ..

arshyam
BGR Member

Post by arshyam » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:05 am

^^ That's absolutely the way to go, saar. Let's all look forward to another lost decade, and this time, there may not be a recognizable civilisation left after that. This time, the congis will ensure it - they have got a taste of things to come having seen a wounded civilisation slowly dusting herself up and standing up to live another day with greater self-confidence.

Ironically, what the islamics and the europeans could not do over a millennia, the congi ecosystem will achieve in another decade. Why? As a professor of Sanskrit said yesterday at a BLR event organised for Rajiv Malhotra (I don't recall the exact verse, so I'll paraphrase her translation), an enemy fighting you will leave scars only on the body, but one of our own fighting you will hit you straight in the heart. (my interpretation here is that "you" means our civilisation). And you can think about who all constitute "one of our own".

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:27 am

arshyam wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:05 am
^^ That's absolutely the way to go, saar. Let's all look forward to another lost decade, and this time, there may not be a recognizable civilisation left after that. This time, the congis will ensure it - they have got a taste of things to come having seen a wounded civilisation slowly dusting herself up and standing up to live another day with greater self-confidence.

Ironically, what the islamics and the europeans could not do over a millennia, the congi ecosystem will achieve in another decade. Why? As a professor of Sanskrit said yesterday at a BLR event organised for Rajiv Malhotra (I don't recall the exact verse, so I'll paraphrase her translation), an enemy fighting you will leave scars only on the body, but one of our own fighting you will hit you straight in the heart. (my interpretation here is that "you" means our civilisation). And you can think about who all constitute "one of our own".
NOTA or voting for congress means loss of civilization, no disagreement there. But can you explain how voting for BJP is rescuing and preserving civilization? What's the difference between UPA and NDA with regards to civilization. How an average hindu is more secure today than he was during UPA time from civilizational PoV, not gas connection etc.

arshyam
BGR Member

Post by arshyam » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:59 am

It's easy for us to be dismissive of "gas connections", toilets, bank accounts, etc. as most of us have grown up taking these things for granted. So our parents and grandparents had the time to instill a sense of self, culture and nationalism in us when we grew up. If anyone in my family tree had to be sitting at the chulha for hours everyday year in and year out, how much time would they have been able to give to these topics? And how long would they have lived free of health issues so their grandchildren could get the same gyaan?

Any society can start thinking about civilisational issues only if they are well-fed, free from health issues and have the time and energy to think about these things. Otherwise, they'll do the bare minimum and focus on day-to-day survival issues - society as whole will be weakened and lose out after some time.

So, IMHO, these policies of NaMo are based on two aspects: 1) his promise to the electorate which replied with a massive mandate in his favour, and 2) having perhaps seen some of these issues first hand, he didn't take these issues for granted and hence made these promises in the first place.

As I said on the politics thread, the (now late) Kanchi Shankaracharya put it to RM in one of their talks last year: first we need to strengthen our society internally so that it can take on external challenges better. We can't rely on one or two people to fight all battles; hundreds and thousands should be empowered to step up, and I consider these initiatives are in that direction.

To answer your specific q on "how is the average Hindu more secure by voting for BJP?":
The average Hindu is still poor and focused on day-to-day survival issues and needs to be given the time and support to become more stable and prosperous so (s)he has more time to think about civilisational issues. So voting for BJP buys him/her that time and support, as is evident from these initiatives.

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:54 am

Now coming for the point of increasing standard of living, or pulling people up from poverty etc. Let's assume in 10 years' time, India's per capita GDP doubles to $4000. But govt. looks the other way on various BIF forces: illegal BDs, EJs, govt ministers indulge in blatant "sickularism", like first lady of a state rubs shoulders with EJs in khanland, minister in her husband's party invites hindus to xmas celebrations, also coincident or not higher increased EJ activity in the state, MEA sacks or transfers honest officer coz he asked clarifying questions to an interesting couple, state govts take over temples etc. Honestly, the list is too long to write down. Just today a state allocates 450 crores for "minority" and calls it SSSV. Therefore, in 10 years time, your "challenges" internally would also have strengthened because: A) you looked the other way instead of addressing them, and B) you yourself encouraged it to grow.
How many hindu girls are kidnapped and then violated even in BJP ruled states. How many exodus are we seeing from different parts of the country. Now even if per capita of a yindoo doubles, how exactly a hindu's position will be secure? How carrying twice the money will automatically improve the security of a hindu or civilization?

What Kanchi said is right, but we are not talking about external challengers, but internal.

I know importance of income, it's one of four purusharthas. "Artha" is needed, no denying it. But when you are already in a civilizational battle, wherein many powers trying day in and day out to destroy you for decades, ONLY money will not help you. You need the ruler to protect you while you grow. Honestly, if you think all indic civilization needs to survive is increased income of its adherents and all else will be taken care of, then it's YOU (figuratively) taking things for granted.

Shandilya
BGR Newbie

Post by Shandilya » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:37 am

chetak wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:09 am
Here's a fabulous idea

twitter
In Indonesia, banana tree trunks are used for growing veggies. They dont need watering as this contains plenty of moisture. After harvesting, the trunk decomposes and enriches the soil.

Any progressive farmers here doing plantain cultivation must use this methodology to maximize

Generally religious Brahmans prepare bhagwans thaal (breakfast, lunch, dinner, etc) using milk, avoiding water mostly for food which is to be consumed over and above 24hrs. like papad, mathia, kharipuri, sakkarpara, etc. Older generation would also get things like thepla, paratha, puri made using milk while traveling out of state. Kelpani was and is still used as an alternative to milk.

Even today all snacks my mother eats including khakhara, papdi, gathiya, sev, mamri are made using kelpani only. Back in the day our household used to buy kelpani packaged in large tin can's every month.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:11 am

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:37 am

Please circulate widely. For those in or near Bengaluru on July 1, do attend this if you are interested in the topic.

Courtesy: Prof Ashok Aklujkar's forward in bvparishat Google group.

arshyam
BGR Member

Post by arshyam » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:18 pm

Karthik wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:54 am
I know importance of income, it's one of four purusharthas. "Artha" is needed, no denying it. But when you are already in a civilizational battle, wherein many powers trying day in and day out to destroy you for decades, ONLY money will not help you.
That's where WE come in. The people who have the time and energy to do something should start taking up the battle. There are a few initiatives taken by some right minded individuals and we should give our support in whatever way possible. We should also lobby the govt, the political class about these issues and try to put pressure on the appropriate people. But just keep complaining about "nothing happening" and jeopardising the next election (which is a real threat given our history in 2004) is not only ignorant, but outright dangerous, considering people like you know that we are in a civilisational battle.
Karthik wrote:
You need the ruler to protect you while you grow.
I agree, providing a political environment where a thousand flowers can bloom is important. But you seem to be bringing this argument in trying to prove that the ruler hasn't protected Hindu thought - exactly what do you want Modi to do? Come and start a TV channel, magazine, think tanks, etc. that can espouse a pro-Hindu narrative?

Just by enforcing the law, Modi has given us the space to grow, something that was denied for over 50 years of "freedom loving" congi rule - and in response, more and more people with the time and energy are stepping out of shadows and standing up for these things in public. I can safely say that these issues we are discussing have moved from a few and far online forums to a more mainstream acceptance. There is a more healthy debate on a lot more topics that were considered taboo a few years ago, and these will lead to changes. So it's not that nothing has happened. Of course, if you feel Modi should be the one doing all of this, then I have nothing further to say. Dharma is not dependent on one person, it's everybody's duty to do their bit.
Karthik wrote:
Honestly, if you think all indic civilization needs to survive is increased income of its adherents and all else will be taken care of, then it's YOU (figuratively) taking things for granted.
If that's the conclusion you wanted to draw from this, I have nothing further to say.

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:12 pm

arshyam wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:18 pm
Karthik wrote:
I know importance of income, it's one of four purusharthas. "Artha" is needed, no denying it. But when you are already in a civilizational battle, wherein many powers trying day in and day out to destroy you for decades, ONLY money will not help you.
That's where WE come in. The people who have the time and energy to do something should start taking up the battle. There are a few initiatives taken by some right minded individuals and we should give our support in whatever way possible. We should also lobby the govt, the political class about these issues and try to put pressure on the appropriate people. But just keep complaining about "nothing happening" and jeopardising the next election (which is a real threat given our history in 2004) is not only ignorant, but outright dangerous, considering people like you know that we are in a civilisational battle.
Good that we arrived at this point, now this is where I feel we indics are at terrible disadvantage. Look at the other side who work for their cause, they have protection : money, legal, media, political. What do we have? We are left to fend for ourselves, during our need, who'll come to our assistance? To illustrate my point just saw in twitter, advocate Prashant Patel has offered help to the now transferred passport officer, who did absolutely NOTHING wrong. We don't even know if he is BJP supporter and all, he just because he did his job, and he is punished by the govt that's supposed to be neutral.

You are right, there has been a change in attitude of common hindu, but there's no cohesion, we remain individuals and not a group because there's nobody to give us that platform. MAD are ruthless when it comes to winning elections, they understand they need power, without it they can't do anything. Similarly, such power is needed to provide a protective umbrella for indics who have taken up the battle, the protective umbrella that other side thoroughly enjoys.
To give an example, someone shared pics of X'es in public land built illegally in TN (we can see them everywhere across India now a days), he is an advocate who can take up the case. NOW, if he were indeed to take up the case, will he have same support from the powers that be, which the "other" side will get massively and undoubtedly as we all know?
it's this protective umbrella that we wish and seek from MAD. I don't think that's an unreasonable ask.

Supratik
Forum Moderator

Post by Supratik » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:45 pm

bharotshontan
BGR Newbie

Post by bharotshontan » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:51 pm

Supratik wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:45 pm
language census 2011

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... TOIDesktop
Urdu has dropped in percentage. Wonder if this is due to Hindi belt Muslims abandoning Urdu for Hindi, because surely their population growth is not lower than the average.

Supratik
Forum Moderator

Post by Supratik » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:26 pm

Could be but Urdu is mainly used by the Ashrafs i.e. the Muslim elite and their numbers may be falling as a percentage.