Non-Indian Films discussion thread...

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
Vayutuvan
BGR Newbie

Re: Non-Indian Films discussion thread...

Post by Vayutuvan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:07 pm

How about we start an SF&F thread? and also a General fiction/non-fiction thread as well?

How do we move the SF&F posts from this thread to the new thread?

Vayutuvan
BGR Newbie

Post by Vayutuvan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:12 pm

Primus, thanks for the recommendations.

Your views on John Brunner (Stand on Zanzibar, Sheep Lookup), Alfred Bester (The Demolished Man, The Stars my Destination)? Two my favorite authors. I read those four books. Stans on Zanzibar, The Demolished Man, and The stars my dest. all won Hugo and/or Nebula.

Vayutuvan
BGR Newbie

Post by Vayutuvan » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:19 pm

Primus,

I bought a copy of the book Battlefield Earth right after the movie release. After reading the movie reviews, donated the book to the library without reading. After the high praise from you, I think I will re-start. Somehow my reading has taken a hit in the last two-three years.

I was 2/3 through "A Canticle for Leibowitz" but for some reason had to stop reading. May be my thesis was coming due just about then. I was procrastinating a lot at that time on finishing up writing the thesis. I was little afraid to get out into the real world. :rotfl:

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:46 pm

A3: IW Trailer 2 just dropped (actually a couple of hours ago)...not as good as first one...but this one contains a lot more shots of Thanos & Black Order. MCU is killing it...Man, I really hope WB will release JL Synder Cut as a recompense...was watching BTS shots and it looks lot more action packed. Even the deleted scenes of Supes is awesome...IMO the Supes he was meant to be...not childish funny but hopeful.

Primus
Forum Moderator

Post by Primus » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:29 pm

Vayutuvan wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:01 pm
Best of Henry Kuttner - kindle edition for $0.99

First story in there is the story "Mimsy were the Borogoves"

PS: Looks like the paperback is nothing but a re-issue of the bets of henry kuttner.
VT, I was out of the country for several weeks, poor internet. Got back and forgot about this thread!

Going to get the ebook from Kindle. Another one I've been reading for free (kindle unlimited) is a fast-paced military space opera called 'Galaxy's Edge'. Quite good and has enough twists to keep you going. Good for travel reading.

Battlefield Earth is also very easy and action-packed. I read it first in the 80s then again in the 90s, but recall it being a very interesting book. Pity they made a mess of it with the movie version.

You must go back and finish 'A Canticle For Leibowitz'. Depressing and serious stuff, but very topical even today.

Yes, I agree, a separate thread for books would be a good idea. Don't know how the posts can be moved there though.

nachiket
BGR Newbie

Post by nachiket » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:48 am

Primus wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:51 am
Finished "Altered Carbon' Season 1 on Netflix last weekend. I had read the book a while ago (it is based on the first book in the series). While the show deviates in a major way from the book halfway through (won't give it away), still remains a compelling story and the visuals are stunning. A lot of CGI of course but done really well. The lead character is well portrayed although I though some of the others could have been better. overall well worth watching.

Marvel's minor character series are pretty interesting. Luke Cage was better than Jessica Jones which in turn was better than Iron Fist. The Defenders is pretty good, haven't quite finished it.

Another I really liked a lot was The Punisher, also a Marvel character but without superhuman powers, still packs quite a punch (pun intended). Very fast paced action.
Watched Altered Carbon and Punisher and found them both to be fantastic. Punisher is better than Jessica Jones and Luke Cage in my opinion even though those shows have better critical ratings. I've found audience scores to be a better barometer these days than critic scores. Apparently the critics did not like Punisher because of guns or some nonsense like that. He's a freaking comic book hero. No need to compare everything to what's going on in the real world. Jon Bernthal has played Frank Castle perfectly. Just like he did in Season 2 of Daredevil, which is another fine show, better than both Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. All 3 shows and characters are miles better than Iron Fist which is pathetic.

Altered Carbon is another show where on RT, the critics rating is 65 while the audience rating is 91. I hadn't read the books and found the premise quite compelling and the show is executed very well.

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:55 pm

MAJOR SPOILERS...Please do not read if you want to keep anticipation/excitement alive for A3

New A3: IW leak below...apparently the source has been verified but not sure about the veracity of the leak. Guess we will know in 3 weeks...

For those who cannot resist...
Here is the full leak:

Part 1: "The movie opens where Thor Ragnarok left off: Thanos’s ship arriving at the Asgardian ship. This is near where Xandar was; the planet will have already been destroyed and the Power stone taken. (shown in trailers)

Thanos and the Black Order board the ship and use the Power stone in the Infinity Gauntlet to defeat Thor and the Hulk, killing most Asgardians. (shown in trailers)

Loki hands over the Tesseract to Thanos in return for sparing Thor. Thanos places the Space stone into the Gauntlet, then forces Thor to watch as he kills Loki. Thanos then casts Thor out via the Space stone, and sends the Hulk to Earth to tell them he is coming. (shown in trailers)

The Hulk falls from the sky into the Sanctum Sanctorum where he is met by Doctor Strange and Tony Stark. Tony Stark is wearing the bleeding edge armor. They discuss Thanos and how to hide the Time stone and Mind stone. (shown in trailers)

While questioning Banner, the Black Order ship arrives over New York to attempt to steal the Time and Mind stones. Peter Parker goes to the ship. Tony dons his suit and joins him, along with Doctor Strange. Together, they pilot the ship back to Titan to try to find a way to stop Thanos. (shown in trailers)

The Black Order attempts to take the Mind stone from Vision but are stopped by Scarlett Witch, Black Widow, and Captain America who was alerted by Tony. Together, they go to Wakanda to protect the Mind stone. (shown in trailers)

Thor is found by the Guardians of the Galaxy, where he explains what happened with Thanos. Gamora tells the story of how she came to know Thanos and what his ultimate goal is. (shown in trailers)

They agree to stop Thanos by obtaining the stones before he can. There is a catch: Thanos already has the Soul stone but cannot wield it unless he has the other stones first, and it remains hidden on Titan. (not shown in trailers)

They split up; Rocket and Groot take Thor to forge a new hammer where they meet Peter Dinklage, the original creator of Mjolnir. Thor powers up the forge with his sparkles; Groot provides the wood for the handle. Rocket cracks wise. (shown in trailers)

Draxx, Star Lord, Gamora, and Mantis go to The Collector to retrieve the Reality stone but find Thanos has beaten them to it. (shown in leaked footage)

The Collector dies. Thanos takes the Reality stone and Gamora as a prisoner, because he will need her before he can wield the Soul stone. Draxx, Star Lord, and Mantis go to Titan to try to find a way to seize the Soul stone. (not shown in trailers)

On Titan, the two groups of heroes meet and agree to work together to stop Thanos. (shown in trailers)

On Earth, the remaining Avengers meet in Wakanda where they face the army of Thanos. Banner is unable to change into the Hulk and wears the Hulkbuster armor instead. The battle begins and as the Hulkbuster armor is overcome by enemies the Hulk bursts out, joining the fight. (shown in trailers)

The Avengers appear to be winning the battle until Thanos arrives. Using the Gauntlet with three stones he destroys the Wakandan defenses. Captain America is killed in the battle. (not shown in trailers)

Vision is hidden in Shuri’s lab as she works to find a way to remove the stone from his forehead to allow it to be hidden. During the battle she is attacked by the Black Order and the Mind stone is taken from Vision. (shown in trailers)

On Titan, the remaining Avengers and Guardians plot to stop Thanos by way of the Time stone. (not fully shown in trailers)

Thanos, now in possession of four of the six stones, leaves Earth to obtain the Time stone on Titan. During the battle on Titan he destroys the planet’s moon and transports it into the atmosphere, raining it down on the heroes. (shown in leaked footage)

Spider-Man dies in the fight. Tony is badly injured and his suit destroyed. Thanos tells them he hopes they will be remembered. (shown in trailers)

At the last moment, Doctor Strange uses the Time stone to enact their plan: to obtain the Gauntlet and stones before Thanos can, by sending Tony back in time to the 1990s. (not shown in trailers, but confirmed by the presence of Old Man Tony in leaked Avengers 4 images)

Thanos seizes the Time stone from Doctor Strange. (not shown in trailers)

Doctor Strange is then tortured to give up information on when Tony was sent and what their plan is. (shown in trailers)

Thanos, in possession of five stones, kills Gamora in front of the Guardians to allow him to wield the Soul stone. With all six stones, the closing scene of the film is Thanos snapping his fingers to wipe out half the life in the universe, and Tony appearing in the 1990s. (not shown in trailers).

Part 2: "The leak is real. To extend onto it. The movie ends with Thanos snapping his fingers turning everyone into dust.

Spiderman dies in Tony's arms cause Thanos wants him to watch it.

I'm not entirely sure how but Steve and Tony find a way to go back in time at the end of the movie and the 2nd one is about Tony and Steve meddling through time collecting the stones to make their own gauntlet that hulk ends up wielding.

Believe me or not that's fine but my source has confirmed there role in production and I believe them.

Post credits scene in infinity war is Maria hill and Nick fury calling up captain Marvel but it's too late, they turn to dust.

If that happens in the new movie come back to this conversation and I'll tell you more about the 2nd movie. If it doesn't happen feel free to call me a liar and move on.

Some people are freaking out over the fact that they can't kill spiderman he has a new film coming out. This film comes out following the events of the 2nd avengers movie and by that time the events of infinity war have been fixed.

It shouldn't be surprising to anyone that the movie is true to the comics and everyone ends up dying I don't know why everyone is freaking out about that.

Also the recent leak the Loki doesn't actually die from the beginning of the movie is true. It's because of him that somehow Tomy and Steve are able to go back in time."

Chandragupta
BGR Member

Post by Chandragupta » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:30 am

What is A3?

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:21 pm

^^^ A3 = Avengers 3: Infinity War.

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:14 am

Watched the show Fastest Car on Netflix. The idea has so much potential. Wish it was better directed, researched and with more stats. drag races with zero stats is simply unpardonable

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:41 pm

OK. It seems like if there is one thing which MCU learnt from DCEU's JL is to include footage in trailers which are never shown in the actual theatrical movie. Some of the scenes in trailers were fake just to throw off fans & potential movie detectives. Anyways, also the spoilers I've posted before are correct & inaccurate at the same time. Some of the events happen but a whole lot are left out...

Forbes has an article about the actual IW spoilers...not gonna link it here. The movie is scheduled to open tomorrow at many places and on 27th in rest of the countries including India. If anybody is interested in learning about actual spoilers before watching the movie, please search for the Forbes article.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Sat May 12, 2018 1:49 pm

mercifully

rsingh
BGR Newbie

Post by rsingh » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:06 pm

7 Days in Entebbe, is a good film. Went yesterday to the movie. One has to know the story . SHQ slept halfway anyway. I do not understand women. How can somebody sleep through such a good movie. La whole villa quwat and all that.

Primus
Forum Moderator

Post by Primus » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:49 pm

chetak wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 1:49 pm
mercifully

I stopped watching this bimbo after the first five episodes in the series. Total crap.

Primus
Forum Moderator

Post by Primus » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:08 pm

Seen some good stuff on Netflix lately.

"Into the Badlands" is a great post-apocalyptic thriller, an amalgam of Mad Max, Hidden Tiger Crouching Dragon, Kill Bill etc. The fight scenes are beautifully choreographed, the story is fast-paced and pretty intense. I liked it.

"The Frankenstein Chronicles" stars Sean Bean, from GOT. It's a gritty series, part sci-fi, part murder mystery. Quite dark but well done.

"Lost in Space" is a very slick, well produced Sci-Fi series, a reboot of the the old 1965 series, and stays quite faithful to the original, including the villain (a woman this time). It is a bit slow and there is plenty of filler but the special effects are quite good and there is plenty of good action.

If you like Anime, 'Attack on Titan' and 'Berserk' are awesome, but really gory and at times painful to watch, especially the latter.

sgk19862004
BGR Newbie

Post by sgk19862004 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:36 pm

Has anyone watched Cobra Kai from Youtube Red???

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:13 pm

^^Yes, I did. Enjoyed it immensely. Its the sequel I never knew was wanted but pleasantly surprised by it. Can't wait for Season 2 which apparently has been ordered.

Primus
Forum Moderator

Post by Primus » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:04 pm

Zynda wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:13 pm
^^Yes, I did. Enjoyed it immensely. Its the sequel I never knew was wanted but pleasantly surprised by it. Can't wait for Season 2 which apparently has been ordered.
what's it about? and sequel to what? No spoilers if you can, hate those

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:45 pm

The characters are based on the 1984 movie 'Karate Kid'. But the TV series happens 34 years later i.e. present time. I guess it would be difficult to appreciate the TV series if the movie is not seen, but I think it is not necessary to watch the movie to follow the series. Not spoilers but sorta continuation about the rivalry of the main two characters from the 1984 movie...the protagonist & rival. It is based on Karate dojo & training young kids. It does ride a little bit on the movie nostalgia wave but does a very good job of focussing on the current continuation. I went in thinking it would be OK but got hooked right in the first 10 mins and binged the entire series over a weekend.

darshhan
BGR Newbie

Post by darshhan » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:03 pm

chetak wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 1:49 pm
mercifully

So showing off that sad cleavage to goras didnt work for the aging heroine anymore.

Primus
Forum Moderator

Post by Primus » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:42 pm

Zynda wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:45 pm
The characters are based on the 1984 movie 'Karate Kid'. But the TV series happens 34 years later i.e. present time. I guess it would be difficult to appreciate the TV series if the movie is not seen, but I think it is not necessary to watch the movie to follow the series. Not spoilers but sorta continuation about the rivalry of the main two characters from the 1984 movie...the protagonist & rival. It is based on Karate dojo & training young kids. It does ride a little bit on the movie nostalgia wave but does a very good job of focussing on the current continuation. I went in thinking it would be OK but got hooked right in the first 10 mins and binged the entire series over a weekend.
Thank you. I liked the first KK movie, simplistic and yet appealing. However, the sequels were disappointing. Having done Karate for a few years in life myself, it was too much to accept as real and even if you can suspend belief for a bit, the story etc was poor.

Will give it a go, hopefully will enjoy it.

sgk19862004
BGR Newbie

Post by sgk19862004 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:35 pm

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:19 am

A naam ka Hindu friend suggested me to watch sacred games. Was going gaga over it and orgasming at Saif's and nawazuddin's characters. Finally thought of taking a look at what the fuss was all about, even though the plot was quite obvious when I saw Taimur's papa donning a sikh pagdi in the poster. There is psy ops at every moment in the first 10 min of the show, after which I couldn't continue. The last straw was the mother of a young nawazuddin, a wife of a Vitthal bhakt pandit, having an illicit affair. Hindus are going gaga over this kind of a Gutter plot!
Nawaz's second dialogue in the show was 'Bhagwan ko L**d ka farak nahi padta something'. Other than bhagwan no show in the world would use this kind of a language for any Abrahamic words for God, forget Allah.

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:30 am

Has anyone seen the recent Tom Cruise "Mission Impossible - Fallout" film? I don't want to give away spoilers, but the ending was disappointing.

Triank
BGR Member

Post by Triank » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:07 am

Kabir wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:19 am
A naam ka Hindu friend suggested me to watch sacred games. Was going gaga over it and orgasming at Saif's and nawazuddin's characters. Finally thought of taking a look at what the fuss was all about, even though the plot was quite obvious when I saw Taimur's papa donning a sikh pagdi in the poster. There is psy ops at every moment in the first 10 min of the show, after which I couldn't continue. The last straw was the mother of a young nawazuddin, a wife of a Vitthal bhakt pandit, having an illicit affair. Hindus are going gaga over this kind of a Gutter plot!
Nawaz's second dialogue in the show was 'Bhagwan ko L**d ka farak nahi padta something'. Other than bhagwan no show in the world would use this kind of a language for any Abrahamic words for God, forget Allah.
haha. same feelings. however, coming from anurag 'the-anti-hindu-terror' kashyap, known for throwing in 'ultra-realism' in his movies, and then some more, one couldn't have expected anything different, esp after he's gotten his drowned-in-vodka brain on fire ever since SM RW 'trolls' have shown him place & then after the #NotInMyName nautanki. do you know about the gems in the plot of his last movie 'mukkabaz'?! :lol:

but pity that vikramaditya motawane had to put up with this sorry sod. I believe had vikramaditya been solely at the helm of SG, the content would've been better.

but otherwise, frills & bling with the show are good, esp for a first indian netflix series. moreover, one other thing hilarious with it is that while the show is more bombastic about hinduttva this-&-that right from the beginning (cutscenes from 1992 footage in the intro, hindus instigating religious violence, killing of a bangladeshi illegal by mumbai police & saif's character's dilemma, mumbai police's, politicians' 'bigotry' against muslims, etc), the show goes raw on khangress! :rotfl: nawazuddin's character calls rajiv gandhi corrupt for the bofors case & 'fattu' for the shahbano case, which riled up khangress WB unit, who filed a complaint against the show. but in came rajiv da puttar asking them to take back the complaint, not forgetting to tweet about it & roping in BJP into it, 'reassuring' us that khangress is not like 'banmeister' BJP & respects FoE-FoS.

P.S. - there are some more signature than signature marks of anurag dispersed in the show, like a brief scene where saif's boss is sitting in a restaurant with a muslim celebrity cutting a piece of beef steak, saying, "hope this restaurant wont be attacked", to which saif's boss smiles (I don't recall them showing her putting the piece into her mouth & eating....small detail. may be I forgot & am mistaken).