The Great Indian Political Drama - 2 (Mar 2018 - Oct 2018)

The Archive forum serves as a repository for topics that have been closed from the other forums. They serve as a database for future reference.
Kabir
BGR Member

Re: The Great Indian Political Drama - 2 (Mar 2018 - )

Post by Kabir » Tue May 08, 2018 11:09 pm

There can be only one pronunciation for every word not multiple as word originated from sound. I have never seen an islamic/arabic/russian/turkish/french/Pakistani etc whatever saints or religious figures names modified in English no matter how difficult to pronounce, why this kolaveri di for Indian figures.

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Tue May 08, 2018 11:10 pm

There can be only one pronunciation for every word not multiple as word originated from sound. I have never seen an islamic/arabic/russian/turkish/french/Pakistani etc whatever saints or religious figures names modified in English no matter how difficult to pronounce, why this kolaveri di for Indian figures.

Hari Seldon
BGR Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon » Tue May 08, 2018 11:18 pm

https://twitter.com/AmitShah/status/993851114662563840
Amit Shah

Verified account

@AmitShah
9h9 hours ago
More

Dear Siddaramaiah, try as much as you can to save the killers of BJP & RSS karyakartas, but as soon as BJP govt takes charge, we will hunt them down even if they are hiding in paatal. They will be sent to jail & handed out severest punishment as per law. #AppeasementFreeKarnataka
Heartening words and all that. Tweet is public, has been saved and all that. If BJP returns to power in KA, then the saved will be waved in yer face, BJP neta saars. Should you actually do what you have openly proclaimed, full credit to you and lungi dance in yer honor, only.

Just saying only.

Sachin
BGR Oldie

Post by Sachin » Wed May 09, 2018 5:20 am

'Fake voter' scandal hits Karnataka, BJP alleges scam

Primus
Forum Moderator

Post by Primus » Wed May 09, 2018 11:09 am

Suraj wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:07 pm
But this is not a matter of pronunciation in a particular Indian language. The original request was to correct the English spelling to Karnataka, matching the local Kannada phonetic. Most of us know about the shwa deletion, but that's besides the point - even a Hindi speaker needs to spell it Karnataka in English. Same reason as why a Mallu guy shouldn't be calling Balvinder as 'Balvinderan' :-)

Agree completely with you. If something is pronounced in its original location in a particular way, thus creating a spelling in English that matches it, then that is how it should be spelt by everyone. Hopefully it will also be pronounced the same, which is less likely.

sbajwa
BGR Member

Post by sbajwa » Wed May 09, 2018 11:39 am

Kabir wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:09 pm
Exactly!! that is where I am trying to get!!
Let's fix the correct spelling in each language first!

sbajwa
BGR Member

Post by sbajwa » Wed May 09, 2018 11:42 am

Narasimha wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 7:37 pm
sbajwa wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:25 pm
Lilo wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 5:57 pm

schwa deletion is more pronounced(pun intended) in naarthie languages as compared to south.Which also results in spelling "mistakes" when typed as per shwa deleted pronounciation in english.Such mistakes however cant occur when same words are typed in the devnagari scripts as both pronounciations are written in the same way.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwa_d ... _languages
When written in English it is Maharashtra
When written in Hindi it is महाराष्ट्र aka Maharashtar
When written in Marathi it is महाराष्ट्र Maharashtar

Same thing with Karnatka

कर्नाटक pronounces to Karnatak and not Karnatka.

Even names like Dharmender are written like Dharmendra
while in Hindi they are धर्मेन्द्र which is Dharmendar
Same thing with other names Jatinder, Rajinder, etc

What is right?
if you are talking Devanagiri I have very much learnt Sanskrit and you are wrong. What you wrote as Dharmendar is not so it is Dharmendra. People who could not say dhra corrupted it to dhar so it is not Narendar and surender because it is Nara +Indra is Narendra and Dharma+Indra is Dharmendra and Sura +Indra is Surendra. Also the Sanskrit declension is not Ram as in Hindi(remember Hindi is a relatively new language) but is Rama(ramaha ramouw Ramaaha- sorry I cannot type in phonetic English or Sanskrit here)
OK! Narsimha sir ji!!!

Even as Punjabi is from Sanskrit we in Punjab do not call Indra but rather Indeeeer. Same with other., I guess over the time language evolves and sounds change.

Hari Seldon
BGR Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon » Wed May 09, 2018 12:13 pm

Rohingya Deportation: Supreme Court To Hear Case On 11 May (swarajya)
The Supreme Court (SC) bench, headed by Chief Justice of India (CJI) Dipak Misra, will now be hearing the Rohingya deportation case on Friday, 11 May, ANI has reported.

The case, filed by Centre, against the PILs seeking a stay on the deportation of Rohingyas from the country was to be heard today but has been adjourned. In its petition, the Centre had questioned the credentials of the people behind the PILs, saying that the stability and demography of the country was under threat from such elements.

The Centre had announced its plan to deport the Rohingyas from India in August last year, citing them as a threat to national security. But action on ground has been blocked due to the PILs filed in the SC.

Rohingyas settlements have sprung across the country and their presence in sensitive areas like Jammu and the North-East is increasingly being questioned, with locals complaining that their lands are being encroached upon by the settlements.

The Centre had earlier asked the SC to refrain from any order on its decision to deport the Rohingyas.

abhijit
BGR Member

Post by abhijit » Thu May 10, 2018 4:12 am

Suraj wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:37 pm
sbajwa wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 6:25 pm
When written in English it is Maharashtra
When written in Hindi it is महाराष्ट्र aka Maharashtar
When written in Marathi it is महाराष्ट्र Maharashtar

Same thing with Karnatka

कर्नाटक pronounces to Karnatak and not Karnatka.

Even names like Dharmender are written like Dharmendra
while in Hindi they are धर्मेन्द्र which is Dharmendar
Same thing with other names Jatinder, Rajinder, etc

What is right?
Obviously "Karnataka" is right. The word was written in English, so its correction was requested for English rules and not Hindi rules. So the spelling rules according to English apply. Karnataka and Dharmendra , not Karnatak and Dharmendr . If it was in Hindi and had an extra matra for 'aa' at end, then you can ask to remove it.
There is no such thing as changing pronunciation of nouns in English. It is only a reflection of our poor grasp of how to spell correctly in English, which is a foreign language to us.

During North East election result Arnab was pronouncing Meghalaya. I tweeted republic stop distortion of Indian nouns. Luckily he listened and started pronouncing Meghalay (which could be spelled Megharluy)

Having said that, I didn't know in Kannada we actually pronounce Karnataka and not Curnautuk. So I apologize. I thought it is habitual error. I stand corrected in this case.

But I hate when people say Yoga when it is actually Yogue. I pronounce Yogue in english, people raise eyebrows I don't care. I pronounce Ralm not Rama in english, what people say I don't care. This is my culture and I will correctly and unapologetically pronounce my nouns irrespective of language I speak. However, all spellings of our nouns need to be universally correctly to avoid written confusion. Which restricts me to type Rama and not Ralm or Rarm in English.

MehtaRahulC
BGR Member

Post by MehtaRahulC » Thu May 10, 2018 6:03 am

Today, 10-may-2018 thus, I have given newspaper advt in Gujarat Samachar , ahmedabad edition, first page. The advertisement is (1) what laws can perhaps bring water meters in ALL water connections across Gujarat , India and possibly reduce water crisis (2) what laws can perhaps reduce food adulteration and excessive chemicals in food (3) what steps voters can take to bring these new proposed laws

The advt is in Gujarati. The links, translations, other details are on my SM profile. I wont be putting details / links etc here

----------------------

Bikau India TV channel is RSS Tv channel. Its owner, bikau Rajat Sharma was ABVP = RSS apex officer. And it always gives pro-RSS reporting. Strangely, this channel is saying that RSS = BJP will get less seats in Karnataka than congress !!! India TV predicts that congress will be biggest party in coming Karnataka new assembly, though it will fall short of majority

Who wins elections are now non-issue for commons. all parties --- congress / rss / aap / janata dal etc are one and same.

The question which puzzles me --- why is India TV not claiming that RSS = BJP will get 300 out of 225 seats? bikau India TV is pro-RSS and is expected to lie in favor of RSS, just as bikau NDTV lies in favor of congress. So whats cooking between IndiaTV and RSS-leaders?
Last edited by MehtaRahulC on Thu May 10, 2018 6:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sachin
BGR Oldie

Post by Sachin » Thu May 10, 2018 6:06 am

In one voice, political parties call for ceasefire in Kashmir
The usual tricks have started. The Kashmiri Jehadi supporters now want the Army to hold back the fire, as they see the Jehadis all becoming toast very quickly. No plans on restraining stone throwing Kashmiri jehadis.

In ISRO Spy Case, Supreme Court Says It May Ask For Reinvestigation
Good news. This case may also have a backlash for the INC in KL in particular, and may be in other areas. But first and foremost the plan should be to make the state police officers (Sibi Mathews, K.K Joshua, & 'Smart' Vijayan) pay compensation, followed by exoneration of the scientist and then a re-investigation of the case. The re-investigation for sure would get folks like RB. Srikumar jittery.

Suraj
BGR Member

Post by Suraj » Thu May 10, 2018 6:33 am

abhijit wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 4:12 am
There is no such thing as changing pronunciation of nouns in English. It is only a reflection of our poor grasp of how to spell correctly in English, which is a foreign language to us.
Technically there's no 'correct spelling in English' possible because English is not purely phonetic, unlike Indian languages. However, there *is* a recognized spelling in English by the state, and that is 'Karnataka', not any other spelling, like Karnatak, Karnaataka or anything else. Therefore it is valid to ask that when spelling the name in English, the recognized spelling as defined by the state be used.

This is orthogonal to the topic of *pronunciation*, since there's only one valid pronunciation, and it's almost always not the literal pronunciation of the world as spelled in English because... as mentioned above, English isn't phonetic, as your anecdote reflects :)

Pratyush
BGR Newbie

Post by Pratyush » Thu May 10, 2018 6:57 am

The thread is well and truly derailed with a discussion in phonetics.

PS BJP will loose onlee :)) :))

Hari Seldon
BGR Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon » Thu May 10, 2018 7:06 am

Yawnable nautanki continues in KA. Pravin Patil rpeorts that NM's speeches are getting full local media attention and prime time debate coverage in KA.

Perhaps that's why RaGa is resporting to hyperbole to get his name in the news there. Even better if he does, I say.

Sachin
BGR Oldie

Post by Sachin » Thu May 10, 2018 7:07 am

Pratyush wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:57 am
PS BJP will loose onlee :)) :))
Dilbu Parade par!!.

Lilo
BGR Member

Post by Lilo » Thu May 10, 2018 7:39 am

MehtaRahulC wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:03 am
Today, 10-may-2018 thus, I have given newspaper advt in Gujarat Samachar , ahmedabad edition, first page. The advertisement is (1) what laws can perhaps bring water meters in ALL water connections across Gujarat , India and possibly reduce water crisis (2) what laws can perhaps reduce food adulteration and excessive chemicals in food (3) what steps voters can take to bring these new proposed laws

The advt is in Gujarati. The links, translations, other details are on my SM profile. I wont be putting details / links etc here

----------------------
Rahul theMehtaji you have given advert in news paper for helping India tide over water crisis ?!
Let me be the first to congratulate you on this pathbreakering step you have taken.Salute,hatsoff and thumbsup also to you for having the vision to publish such an advert in a newspaper on your famous mind.

That said RSS/ BJP CM Fadnavis is doing some useless water conservation in the huge waterstressed state of Maha .As you are aware he may be as per common knowledge here one of the inept BJP CMs ...
Remember Latur? and the Water Trains??

This year, just one tanker supplying water to one village in whole District.
#Jalyuktshivar
@Dev_Fadnavis promised and delivered
https://twitter.com/MukulAgarwal66/stat ... 26465?s=19
Despite less rains, maximum kharif crop production last year: Devendra Fadnavis

MUMBAI: Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis today said that the state had maximum agricultural production during the kharif season of 2017-18, despite 30 per cent less rainfall, due to effective water conservation schemes of the state government.
Fadnavis said that farm production during last year was "historically positive" and was similar to the record one in 2012-13 that was aided by the state receiving 110 per cent of its average rainfall.
"Last year, there was 30 per cent less rain but we had maximum production like in 2012-13. This is because of effective water conservation schemes like Jalyukt Shivar which helped to improve soil moisture and also provide irrigation," Fadnavis said.

During the interaction, he reviewed the progress of different schemes like Jalyukt Shivar, Farm Pond on Demand, Galmukta Dharan-Galyukt Shivar (silt-free reservoirs, fertile farmland) and Housing for All. Fadnavis directed the officials to complete before June all the necessary work in the villages selected under the 'Jalkukt Shivar' scheme this year. "Rs 1,000 crore will be released tomorrow for the completion of work," he said. Under the Farm Pond on Demand scheme, work has been completed for 76,106 farm ponds, out of the total target of 1,12,311.

Three districts have achieved more than 100 per cent target and 17 districts have achieved over 54 per cent of the target, a statement from Chief Minister's Office (CMO) said. He said that under the Housing for All initiative, of the total 12.50 lakh applications, registration process has been completed for 10 lakh applicants.

Total 1,00,265 wells have been constructed so far and 76,689 are under construction. Under the Galmukta Dharan-Galyukt Shivar scheme, 1,40,97,856 cubic meters of silt has been removed. Fadnavis directed the officials to include villages in Konkan region in the Jalyukt Shivar scheme, as despite good rainfall, these districts require tankers during the summer. The chief minister suggested that if required, services of retired employees should be used and outsourcing of work should be done.

Of the 25,000 drought-hit villages in the state, jalyukt shivar projects undertaken in the last three-and-a-half years have helped make 11,247 villages water-reliant, encouraging villagers to take up two crops :rotfl:. The target is to make the remaining villages drought-free by 2019.

So far, 1.8 lakh jalyukt shivar projects have been completed, including widening and deepening of rivers, constructing cement bunds and desilting of water structures, creating an additional water storage capacity of 15 TMC. Apart from these, the number of farm ponds have touched one lakh.

https://m.economictimes.com/news/econom ... 043037.cms

http://indianexpress.com/article/cities ... n-5165952/

https://m.mid-day.com/articles/devendra ... s/19309161

MehtaRahulC
BGR Member

Post by MehtaRahulC » Thu May 10, 2018 8:27 am

Lilo wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 7:39 am
MehtaRahulC wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 6:03 am

----------------------
Rahul theMehtaji you have given advert in news paper for helping India tide over water crisis ?!
Let me be the first to congratulate you on this pathbreakering step you have taken.Salute,hatsoff and thumbsup also to you for having the vision to publish such an advert in a newspaper on your famous mind.
My sincere thanks , Liloji.

=====
That said RSS/ BJP CM Fadnavis is doing some useless water conservation in the huge waterstressed state of Maha .As you are aware he may be as per common knowledge here one of the inept BJP CMs ...
Remember Latur? and the Water Trains??

This year, just one tanker supplying water to one village in whole District.
#Jalyuktshivar
@Dev_Fadnavis promised and delivered
..... IMAGE ....
Despite less rains, maximum kharif crop production last year: Devendra Fadnavis

MUMBAI: Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis today said that the state had maximum agricultural production during the kharif season of 2017-18, despite 30 per cent less rainfall, due to effective water conservation schemes of the state government.
Fadnavis said that farm production during last year was "historically positive" and was similar to the record one in 2012-13 that was aided by the state receiving 110 per cent of its average rainfall. ...
wrt water problem, my trivial proposals since 1999 has been --- (a) UNIVERSAL water metering i.e. every water connection be agriculter or industry or commercial or charty like hospital or residential , should be METERED. (b) price should be decided by market as far as possible
Till there are meters everywhere, imo, there is NO solution and no end to water problem in India, Gujarat or ahmedabad. And till prices are determined by market, govt will keep bleeding and finally give up.
The issue is ----- what laws can ensure universal water metering and determine pricing by market? .
Now thats what I have given in brief in the newspaper advt and in detail on my SM profile.
As per RSS / congress / aap efforts, they talk about herculean efforts in all directions such as water harvesting, water recycling and all that. But there are near zero efforts by congress/rss/aap on water metering and putting market based mechanism to decide price. So imo, congress/rss/aap etc are only wasting time, money and meanwhile toxicity in water keeps rising !! My proposed solution is confined to METERING and price deciding. Imo, once metering is done and price is decided by MARKET , dozens of technical solutions such as harvesting, recycling, methods and equipment that reduce consumption without increasing inconvenience etc will come from private players without govt efforts and subsidies. So imo, govt should focus first on metering and then setting up MARKET procedures to decide water pricing. And imo govt should not waste money and efforts on recylcing, harvesting and equipment to reduce consumption.

When Modiji became CM of Gujarat in sep-2001, less than 2% of water connections in ahmedabad / gujarat were metered. When Modiji left CM position in may-2014 to become PM, less than 2% were metered. So imo, Modiji really didnt show any interest in water metering in these 13 years. So I would request all not to much too much hopes in Modiji as far as water metering issue is there. And same applies for SoGa / ArKe

Now underwater levels across India, Gujarat, Ahmedabad has fallen and falling. And so toxicity in water has increased. And so people use RO. And RO has given rise to severe mineral deficiencies and vitamin B12 deficiency and so on. So my point is --- earlier we do water metering , better

============

Second issue is food adulteration and rising level of toxic chemicals in food. eg in ahmedabad and all cities of India (be congress / rss / aap) , over 99% banana sold are ripened using chemical ripeness !!! A large quanity of milk sold across cities is now toxic milk made from chemicals like zinc oxide, detergents and what not.
Now, I am NOT asking BRFites to read / publicise my solution. I have never campaigned for ANY of my proposals on BRF since I arrived on BRF in year 2000. My request to all BRFites is --- if you want laws for water metering in India and laws to reduce food adulteration and level of chemicals in food, then pls start campaigning for law-drafts that YOU support. If you want water metering and reduce food adulteration, and if you want to confine to SoMoKe(*)-bhakti and dont want to yourself campaign for law-drafts YOU support, then existing SoMoke and their prevision versions didnt print laws in past 70 years , and existing SoMoKe or new SoMoKe will NOT print laws on THESE issues in next 700 years. So you decide.

(* (a) SoMoKe = SoGa / NaMo / ArKe, one and the same
(b) previous SoMoKe = predecessors of SoMoKe such as ABV , Rajiv Gandhi, CPM leaders etc. As we all know, AAP is just CPM with new cover
(c) coming SoMoKe = Modiji like person who will put by RSS when Modiji retires or when Modiji loses his magical image, and replacement of SoGa and replacement of ArKe. After all, everyone one day retires). )

Chandragupta
BGR Member

Post by Chandragupta » Thu May 10, 2018 9:05 am

Hari Seldon wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 12:13 pm
Rohingya Deportation: Supreme Court To Hear Case On 11 May (swarajya)
The Supreme Court (SC) bench, headed by Chief Justice of India (CJI) Dipak Misra, will now be hearing the Rohingya deportation case on Friday, 11 May, ANI has reported.

The case, filed by Centre, against the PILs seeking a stay on the deportation of Rohingyas from the country was to be heard today but has been adjourned. In its petition, the Centre had questioned the credentials of the people behind the PILs, saying that the stability and demography of the country was under threat from such elements.

The Centre had announced its plan to deport the Rohingyas from India in August last year, citing them as a threat to national security. But action on ground has been blocked due to the PILs filed in the SC.

Rohingyas settlements have sprung across the country and their presence in sensitive areas like Jammu and the North-East is increasingly being questioned, with locals complaining that their lands are being encroached upon by the settlements.

The Centre had earlier asked the SC to refrain from any order on its decision to deport the Rohingyas.
What locus standi does the judiciary has when it comes to national security? Earlier they intervened in pellet guns and now this.

Supratik
Forum Moderator

Post by Supratik » Thu May 10, 2018 1:05 pm

Why does Congress send MS Aiyar to campaign in Pak before every election in India? Which vote bank are they targeting?

sbajwa
BGR Member

Post by sbajwa » Thu May 10, 2018 1:15 pm

Rahul Mehta
wrt water problem, my trivial proposals since 1999 has been --- (a) UNIVERSAL water metering i.e. every water connection be agriculter or industry or commercial or charty like hospital or residential , should be METERED. (b) price should be decided by market as far as possible
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/watc ... story.html

Think of having electronic water meter with wi-fi so that a person on bike/car just need to drive through the street to read all meters.

Lilo
BGR Member

Post by Lilo » Thu May 10, 2018 1:17 pm

Supratik wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 1:05 pm
Why does Congress send MS Aiyar to campaign in Pak before every election in India? Which vote bank are they targeting?
From an Observer:

"On The Mani Shankar Mullah statements, jokes apart,
It is a dog whistle to pro-Pak elements among Indian Muslims - that 'we are not abandoning you, we wont disrupt your activities.' Otherwise risk of these grps staying home." Sad he has to make this in Pak.https://twitter.com/ramana_brf/status/9 ... 61057?s=19

Hari Seldon
BGR Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon » Thu May 10, 2018 4:11 pm

Finally, the RW is pushing back not just on social media but also on the ground with the law on their side.

A foul-mouthed blue-ticked aapiya recently publicly expressed his wet dream that NM would get 'Godse-d'.

Here's what followed.
Prashant P. Umrao

Verified account

@ippatel
May 9
More
After UP Police FIR against Aapia @VORdotcom for abusing PM & CM Yogi, he is now absconding. Police is doing investigation, if he doesn't appear, Warrant will be issued.
https://twitter.com/ippatel/status/994210540426686464

Yay.

Chandragupta
BGR Member

Post by Chandragupta » Thu May 10, 2018 5:55 pm

That foul mouthed buffoon abuses Modi & BJP CMs and Hindus in the worst possible language everyday but all the fiberals adore him. Yet when the same language is used by a regular RW handle, he is called a troll and books written about him and that is translated to all Hindus on Internet. These , Fiberals are the worst scum of the planet, shameless hypocrites.

Hari Seldon
BGR Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon » Fri May 11, 2018 5:10 am

To quote a tweep: https://twitter.com/satvikvarma/status/ ... 7887903744
Satvik Varma

@satvikvarma
Follow Follow @satvikvarma
More
Wonder how media finds out in advance the agenda for collegium meetings that are supposedly confidential. There’s a growing new & somewhat concerning trend of newspapers being filled with news & oftentimes interviews of sitting judges& subjudice matters. Never used to be the case
Very true only.

Sachin
BGR Oldie

Post by Sachin » Fri May 11, 2018 7:54 am

Jinnah was, is and will always be a maha purush: BJP MP Savitri Bai Phule :roll:
The party has got lots of idiots in the senior ranks, and all of them have loose tongues as well. And such useful idiots can easily be used to create fault lines to be later exploited.

Reddy Brothers' Aide Yeddyurappa's Deputy? Amit Shah Says "Will Discuss"
:roll:. We have people talking about supporting PIF causes at any cost, mean while the greedy folks have already started asking their ransoms.