Cricket

The Archive forum serves as a repository for topics that have been closed from the other forums. They serve as a database for future reference.
KJo
Forum Moderator

Re: Cricket

Post by KJo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:19 pm

Even though we are at the losing end, I am enjoying these bowler dominated series. Too many flat track bullies in the last decade posting mammoth scores but no real quality.

A big score should mean something and be memorable. Like Gavaskar's 236* which people remember even after 35 years.

sbajwa
BGR Member

Post by sbajwa » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:22 pm

Afghanistan team in the under-19 world cup is top rated. They defeated New Zealand (the host country) by 200 runs to get into the semi finals against Australia.

We are playing the Bhookas today for place in Semis.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:16 pm

quantity is a quality.

high scoring test matches are fine as long as there are still results, and the result not dependent on who won the toss.

KJo
Forum Moderator

Post by KJo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:11 pm

Merely results are not enough. The matches have to be hard fought.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:32 pm

why? why should one team's achievements be trivialised or de-legitimized because the other guys couldnt score as much?

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:36 pm

our batsmen scoring less in tfta pitches and losing DOES NOT de-legitimize same batsmen scoring heavily in sdre pitches and winning over same teams. if the visiting batsmen cannot score as much on turning pitches in india, its not our fault.

KJo
Forum Moderator

Post by KJo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:35 pm

Gus wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:32 pm
why? why should one team's achievements be trivialised or de-legitimized because the other guys couldnt score as much?
I’m not trivializing. I’m just saying that high scoring one sided matches are boring. I want to see a good contest between bat and ball, not cheap 6s and 4s by 3rd class batsmen regardless of what team they play for.

Suraj
BGR Member

Post by Suraj » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:12 pm

I can’t think of the last time Indian fielded a 5 man pace attack, all of whom are good .

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:17 pm

if this match gets called off, we should start calling the chokers as chickens.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:53 pm

Suraj wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:12 pm
I can’t think of the last time Indian fielded a 5 man pace attack, all of whom are good .
And the ones left out too ....

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:01 pm

SA wanted to teach us a lesson for preparing mud pits but now their reputation is at stake if the match is abandoned. The best thing for them is to continue to play and may be even win it.

Their decision to pay us back in the same coin could have easily boomeranged on them if our batting came through. Our bowling did well but we do not know if it's the sub par pitches or there was genuine improvement and by how much. Must wait for England or New Zealand, who ever is next.

Suraj
BGR Member

Post by Suraj » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:23 pm

I think it's a genuine performance from the bowling unit. Sometimes they wavered or lost focus and discipline to give away easy runs, but 5 good performances in 5 innings (potentially 6 in 6 if they win it) is not happenstance. They will do well in Eng and NZ.

It's the batting, particularly weak slip fielding, and selection that's the problem. Not sure why Bhuvi was shunted in and out, and Rahane treated like this when he'd have been more suitable than the weak opening pair.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:23 pm

The only negative I can think of is the first innings SA in first match where they let the tail score more.

other than that - they have taken 5 wickets without much from spin. they have not allowed SA to run away. though we lost both matches, it was close and a couple sessions made the difference.

crams
Forum Moderator

Post by crams » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:25 pm

Guys, I recall when Proteas toured India last time, there was huge hue and cry, led by ICC, white Pakis (both Eng and Aus), and of course our own argumentative "we take pride in p!ssing on our own" SDREs like Ramachandra Guha who were vociferous in criticizing BCCI for preparing an unplayable spinning wicket in Nagpur where India annihilated SAfricans. I wonder where all these busy bodies are on that death track at the Wanderers where even a white boy like Edgar got hot on his head, thx to the lousy pitch (even though it was more out of his poor technique than pitch). What an irony, SAfricans wanted to take revenge and humiliate India 3-0 like we did to them, and at least at the end of day 3, SAfricans are the ones facing the brunt of a taylor made wicket. They can still end up winning, but the double standards are worth noting: Different strokes for different folks?

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:13 pm

We won.
The ba$tards used a heavy roller in the morning which made the pitch behave for the first session and most of second session. But from what I read, the heavy roller also screws up the pitch more than the light roller for later.

Peregrine
BGR Newbie

Post by Peregrine » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:17 pm

South Africa vs India, 3rd Test

Series: India tour of South Africa, 2017-18 Venue: New Wanderers Stadium, Johannesburg

INDIA : 187, 247
RSA :194, 177-all out (73.3 Ovs) CRR: 2.41
Day 4: 3rd Session - India won by 63 runs

Cheers Image

sum
BGR Newbie

Post by sum » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:24 pm

Has there been any occasion earlier where we have taken 60 wickets in 6 innings of a series with almost all being by the pacers?

Trilobite
BGR Member

Post by Trilobite » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:36 pm

The answer has to be most certainly a no.

Finally we win one, including Rahane in the team made all the difference! The team selection could be further improved by finding a role of Pandya in the team or a better suited player in his slot. IMO he needs to play more T20's and ODI's than tests.
Test matches can survive provided they are played on more sporting pitches ( sans the dangerous part) like the ones we had in this series, made for more closely contested matches and also putting players to the test part of the test matches. It separates the men from the boys as some of the boys in the team may have learnt.
Last edited by Trilobite on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peregrine
BGR Newbie

Cricket

Post by Peregrine » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:37 pm

sum wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:24 pm
Has there been any occasion earlier where we have taken 60 wickets in 6 innings of a series with almost all being by the pacers?
Sum Ji :

Ashwin took Two S A Wickets in the First Test and 5 Wickets in the Second Test

Cheers Image

crams
Forum Moderator

Post by crams » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:32 pm

hanumadu wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:13 pm
We won.
The ba$tards used a heavy roller in the morning which made the pitch behave for the first session and most of second session. But from what I read, the heavy roller also screws up the pitch more than the light roller for later.
Even at the start of SA 2nd innings, Duplex had asked for heavy roller. But I don't think the decision is illegal or anything, doesn't the team batting decide on what roller to use?

Suraj
BGR Member

Post by Suraj » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:35 pm

hanumadu wrote:
We won.
So THAT is what happened . I was wondering “is this the same pitch they played the last three days on ?” In the morning. Especially after they collectively wet themselves and forced a delay in the start.

This was immensely satisfying - they make a spitting cobra and we use it to bite their mush instead. We weren’t beaten this series; we lost due to some selection and fielding mistakes combined with lack of a little more batting application .

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:06 pm

crams wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:32 pm
hanumadu wrote:
We won.
Even at the start of SA 2nd innings, Duplex had asked for heavy roller. But I don't think the decision is illegal or anything, doesn't the team batting decide on what roller to use?
I too thought that the batting side has the choice of roller to use but cricinfo said umpires decided to use heavy roller. If it was the batting sides choice, I guess they were within their rights.

Sridhar k
BGR Newbie

Post by Sridhar k » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:45 am

Shaun Pollock had predicted it in the morning that the heavy roller plus cloud cover plus overninght rain would make the pitch behave and once the sun shines and pitch gets dried, it will become spicy again.

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:38 pm

I still think many of our fast bowlers didn't sustain in exploiting the pitches offered (including the losses considered for seeing this quality on an average scale). But, the bowling dept outshined batting., whereas the proteas were a shade better with their bats on an average.

Getting experiences on such pitches need not have to be on a firang land.. we can prepare few of our pitches like these. unpredictably but safe enough for batsmen... many got blows, but that is the challenge. Just imagine the days Gavaskar, Vishy and mohinder batted.

We have to change our pitches.. at least 50% of them.

BTW, Dinesh Kartik was better than P Patel. At least, he dives better if not on his drives. Again, Dhoni is missed

Vikas
BGR Member

Post by Vikas » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:43 am

We still lack a express fast bowler who can bowl at sustained hostility for 12-15 overs a day. In Australia, medium pacers can't wreck havoc except for in one off cases.