Indian Navy News and Discussion

The Archive forum serves as a repository for topics that have been closed from the other forums. They serve as a database for future reference.
jamwal
BGR Member

Indian Navy News and Discussion

Post by jamwal » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:17 am

News and discussions about Indian Navy, Bharatiya Nau Sena.

jamwal
BGR Member

Re: Indian Navy News and Discussion

Post by jamwal » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:34 am

Joining the Indian Navy was a major decision of my life. There are lots of anecdotes of initial days which are worth writing for the benefits of our readers. I am making an effort to pen them:

Joining The Indian Navy – Captain(IN) A R C Varma, Retd.

Part – I
It is almost 38 years, but still fresh in my mind. The commissioning date was 25 July 1977. We were asked to report on 22/23 July 1977. I started by train from Jabalpur to catch another train called Jayanti Janta at Itarsi, which will take me to Cochin HT after about 40 hours of journey. I boarded Jayanti Janta at Itarsi in the evening with my standard list of items given with the joining instructions to report to Naval Academy (NA), Cochin. Only difference was that I could not get a black colour trunk, so I was carrying a blue colour trunk. On the way my elder sister and brother-in-law, who was in the Air Force came to meet me at Amla Station. They gave me a big cake to be consumed on the way. In the train there were other future Officers and Cadets who were heading Cochin to join the Naval Academy. Since they boarded the train before Itarsi station they had become friends just by searching for Black Trunks in the entire train and asking are you joining Naval Academy? They did not ask me because my trunk was blue. But with their conversation I could make out that they are all heading for NA. Next morning I asked one of them are you going to NA, he was stunned and immediately started siring me thinking that I am a Naval Officer senior to him. I told him to relax, I am also going to join NA. Soon we were group of about 8-9 officers and cadets roaming in the train. After lunch we finished off the cake.

Third day morning we reached Cochin HT, quite tired from the journey. One of the officer informed that there will be staff car coming to station to receive us. However there was no staff car to be seen at the station. He was also having the telephone number of NA, went to the PCO and called up NA. I think the OOD (Officer of the Day) must have picked the phone. Our friend demanded that I am Acting Sub Lieutenant so and so speaking and I cannot see the staff car meant for picking me up from the station. The OOD retorted, from where are you speaking? He said from the PCO. The OOD said just turn around, can you see one three tonner truck behind the PCO, that’s your staff car. Now run, pick up your luggage, load it on the truck and reach here in next 10 minutes. We all started running and this became our daily routine till we were in the Naval Academy.

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:15 pm

a dornier228 unit has been stood up in porbandar Guj

will be useful to keep an eye on smugglers and terrorists

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLCH8v2VwAE3_Xw.jpg:large

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:11 pm

https://www.livefistdefence.com/2017/10 ... unter.html
The ‘100-Ton’ Difference In The Indian Navy’s New Submarine Hunter

At 9am on the coming Monday, India’s new defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman will oversee her first warship commissioning ceremony. At the naval dockyard in Visakhapatnam, she will flag into service the INS Kiltan, India’s third Project 28 anti-submarine warfare (ASW) corvette. But there’s a significant difference between the Kiltan, and the two class types — INS Kamorta and INS Kadmatt — that came before her. A 100-tonne difference.

While the Kamorta and Kadmatt are built entirely of steel (DMR249A special grade high-tensile steel developed by SAIL in India), the Kiltan’s entire superstructure has been constructed with carbon fiber reinforced plastic — instantly shaving off 100 tons in weight from the brand new submarine hunter.

Apart from the weight saving, top sources in the Indian Navy said the advantages of the new material are four fold: (a) It provides essential corrosion resistance to the exposed superstructure, (b) improves sea-keeping ability by increasing metacentric height (a measure of the initial static stability of a floating body). And finally, (c) the use of non-metals reduces radar signature and boosts stealth specifically by suppressing extremely low frequency electromagnetic radiations.

Sources also said the Kiltan will be stealthier, more agile and a more survivable ship at sea than the two previous P28 corvettes. Weight gain from radar signature reduction work had extracted a significant price on the ship’s nimbleness and top speed during the final design stages. The decision to explore a composite superstructure was decided as an imperative for the two final ships. The Kiltan will cruise a shade faster than the two previous ships at about 24 knots.

The P28 corvette class, built by the state owned Garden Rearch Shipbuilders & Engineers (GRSE) in Kolkata, are nearly 90 per cent indigenous, says its maker. While the two ships in service are finding their feet, the class ran into rough weather with the national auditor earlier this year over delays and the fact that the ships still don’t have their full complement of armament. The Kiltan, for instance, should have been delivered by July 2014 according to the original project contract.

But for all that’s progressive about the new ship, like its predecessors, it continues to be without an advanced towed array sonar — inexplicable contracting delays have meant the P28 class, purpose-built as submarine hunters, don’t have the primary sensor required for the task and for evasion of enemy submarines, a troubling absence that the navy has sought to downplay amidst the atmosphere of welcome for a new indigenous warship. Livefist has learnt that ATAS kits should be arriving soon for test and retrofitment on the three P28s and the fourth ship that will be commissioned next year.

UPDATE: The Indian Navy just issued this official statement on the Kiltan:

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:43 am

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 210011.cms
Eye on China, India expands naval footprint in Indian Ocean
The Navy is ramping up its new "mission-based deployments" in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR) stretching from the Persian Gulf to the Malacca Strait, with warships on round-the-clock patrols to meet any operational eventuality from conventional threats and maritime terrorism to piracy and humanitarian disaster relief.
There are 12 to 15 destroyers, frigates, corvettes and large patrol vessels on long-range deployments in the IOR at any given time now, which are backed by naval satellite Rukmini (GSAT-7) and daily sorties by Poseidon-8I maritime patrol aircraft to keep tabs over the vast oceanic expanse.
The plan is to deploy "mission-ready warships" and aircraft along critical sea lanes of communications as well as "choke points" ranging from the Persian Gulf and Gulf of Aden to the Malacca Strait and Sunda Strait. "This will be done on a 24x7 basis round the year, with the warships being sustained and turned around on station. The Indian Navy has emerged as the net security provider and first responder in the region," said a senior officer.

If a Shivalik-class stealth frigate is currently patrolling the Bay of Bengal towards Bangladesh and Myanmar, then a Teg-class frigate is in the vicinity of Madagascar, Mauritius and Seychelles. Similarly, while frigate INS Trishul is deployed for anti-piracy patrol in the Gulf of Aden, a Kora-class corvette is prowling around the Andaman Sea.
This "rebalancing of deployments", of course, is also in response to China sending its warships and submarines into the IOR on a regular basis over the last few years. At least three nuclear and four conventional Chinese submarines, for instance, have been tracked in the IOR since December 2013, as earlier reported by TOI.
The Indian Navy, which currently has 138 warships and 235 aircraft and helicopters, incidentally has plans in place to become a 212-warship and 458-aircraft force by 2027 to protect the country's huge geostrategic interests.
"The four-day naval commanders' conference under Admiral Sunil Lanba, which kicked off on Tuesday, will review and fine-tune this mission-based deployment policy to enhance its effectiveness," said another officer.
"The Navy is pursuing the PM's vision of 'Sagar' (security and growth for all in the region) in a deliberate manner through security cooperation and capacity building initiatives with other nations in the region," he added.

Apart from slowly upgrading military infrastructure in the strategically-located Andaman and Nicobar archipelago, which straddles major global trade routes and can be used as a pivot to counter Chinese moves in the IOR, the Indian Navy is also stepping-up its cooperation with other navies in the region through a series of exercises, coordinated patrols, training exchanges as well as supply of equipment.
TOP COMMENT

Patrol vessel INS Sukanya, for instance, reached Belawan in Indonesia on Tuesday to take part in a coordinated patrolling and bilateral exercise there. India has also offered to train Indonesian Navy in submarine warfare operations, on the lines of training already being provided to the Vietnamese Navy.
Under the "Act East" policy, the intention is to progressively expand military ties with Japan and ASEAN countries like Singapore, Vietnam, Myanmar, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia. "The Indian approach of providing equipment and training is increasingly finding favour in the region. The idea that there can be no growth without security is well understood," said another officer.
written by Rajat Pandit, so take it fwiw

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:32 pm

https://twitter.com/delhidefence/status ... 6993082368
India's Ministry of Defence signed a contract for 1746 commander's thermal imaging sights for the Indian Army's T-72 MBTs in August 2017.
Bharat Electronics Limited is the supplier.

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:02 pm

navy's using T-72's now ?

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:33 pm

:lol:

Sorry

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:48 am

Livefist

Partnership gets real. 2 Japanese P-3s at Goa for joint airborne anti-sub ops training with the @IndianNavy’s P-8Is over the Arabian Sea.

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:09 am

http://www.business-standard.com/articl ... 589_1.html

US Navy aircraft carrier team to check out Russian-built INS Vikramaditya
Two-day visit to Russia-made aircraft carrier expected to bring Washington's 'yes' to India's request for EMALS

Underlining the Navy's growing closeness to the US Navy and its disillusionment with Russia, American members of a joint working group (JWG) on aircraft carrier cooperation have been allowed to spend two days on board the Russian-built aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya in Goa on Monday and Tuesday. The Navy's tilt towards Washington may not surprise Moscow any longer. But Russian eyebrows will surely be raised at US admirals visiting a Russian aircraft carrier, operating Russian aircraft. On November 3, the JWG will meet again in New Delhi to discuss taking forward