The Great Indian Political Drama - 1 (Oct 2017 - Mar 2018)

The Archive forum serves as a repository for topics that have been closed from the other forums. They serve as a database for future reference.
SSundar
BGR Member

Re: The Great Indian Political Drama - Oct 2017

Post by SSundar » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:32 pm

'Samay' and 'CNX 'Gujarat election opinion poll 2017: BJP ahead of victory margin

The following table is very instructive. It is not too inaccurate to state that the Gujarat model is not everything it is made out to be. Irrigation and Government schools need a lot of improvement. Government hospitals too seem to need work. The list is not too different from the current Modi Center Government's blind spots - at least not much visible action seen. I would have thought the Gujaratis would be happy with irrigation.

The wider vote pool also thinks that the Patidar agitation is being mishandled seriously.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:56 pm

let me make a bold claim.

the days of installing/grooming etc of a leader are over.

to have credibility in asking for a mandate from voting public, you first need to build that credibility within own party. that sort of credibility does not come from grooming. it is earned by putting in the hard work and actually convincing other people to believe in you and dput in hard work as well.

things have changed. the dynasty stuff won't work anymore. if congress wants a revival, let them form an interim committee to have elections for all posts with authority and then form internal by laws and party constitution and then elect a leader. such a leader can then go to the people with that strength.

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:25 pm

Gus wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:56 pm
let me make a bold claim.

the days of installing/grooming etc of a leader are over.

to have credibility in asking for a mandate from voting public, you first need to build that credibility within own party. that sort of credibility does not come from grooming. it is earned by putting in the hard work and actually convincing other people to believe in you and dput in hard work as well.

things have changed. the dynasty stuff won't work anymore. if congress wants a revival, let them form an interim committee to have elections for all posts with authority and then form internal by laws and party constitution and then elect a leader. such a leader can then go to the people with that strength.
Thats asking too much from a party like congress, this means an over haul of all the current top and middle leadership along with international links. Which is almost impossible. The INC will not remain INC if it becomes a democratic institution. Democracy is not good for handlers either.

Hari Seldon
BGR Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:08 am

So, twitter is all abuzz with hastags of 'shaurya diwas' to celebrate 25 yrs of the pulling down of a major historical and cultural blot on Indic civilization - Babri n Ayodhya.

And finally, FINALLY, the Mudi has decided to speak (even if vaguely, deniably and tangentially) on the significance of the place. Only.

Jai ho. Jai ho. Only.

srikumar
BGR Member

Post by srikumar » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:36 am

Is it just me or does he bear a resemblance to the great Arvind Kejriwal.

SSundar
BGR Member

Post by SSundar » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:41 am

Hari Seldon wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:08 am
And finally, FINALLY, the Mudi has decided to speak (even if vaguely, deniably and tangentially) on the significance of the place. Only.

Jai ho. Jai ho. Only.
I am sure you noticed the "Jai Shri Ram" on the shawl too, didn't you Saar?

This man Modi is pure Yeevil I say :twisted: .

Aditya_V
BGR Member

Post by Aditya_V » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:29 am

Are you sure, I thought the uber righ wingers here wanted BJP to lose in Gujarat and see the pro Hindu INC forces can come back with a Bang and finish off the secular sanghis.

suryag
BGR Newbie

Post by suryag » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:45 am

looked at lokniti CSDS opinion and dhoti shivering has started, do we have the legendary Dilbu gracing this forum

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:07 am

Aditya_V wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:29 am
Are you sure, I thought the uber righ wingers here wanted BJP to lose in Gujarat and see the pro Hindu INC forces can come back with a Bang and finish off the secular sanghis.
:lol: It's SSwamy fighting RJM since beginning. If not for him, we'd have even lost Ram Sethu, and BJP would sat on their rear just as they did when RTE was passed. So much for Pro hindutva party.

MehtaRahulC
BGR Member

Post by MehtaRahulC » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:13 am

Most hindus easily fall to sound bytes.
Very much agree. Too many Hindus started trusting just because of sound bytes and posturing
solution is that activists should inform voters and fellow activists about LAW DRAFTS that can bring changes, and inform that those who are giving sound bytes are opposing these law-drafts and thus they are psuedos.

Deans
BGR Newbie

Post by Deans » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:46 am

Primus wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:07 pm

As far as this forum goes, the most rabid Modi haters are Hindus and not Christians. Don't know who is a muslim here but the self-acknowledged Christian on this forum is actually very happy with the progress India has made under Modi and is a smart, well educated entrepreneur. He has been practical in his analysis and most of the time spot on. He was on BRF too and has continued his legacy here.
I'm not sure if I am the person being referred to. I'm happy to say I'm a Modi fan and nationalist. I'm Christian as that's the religion I was both into. Perhaps coming from a services family, living in different parts of the country and abroad and interacting infrequently with my community have shaped my views.

I too find educated Christians to be, by and large, anti Modi & BJP. There are however several exceptions and its unfair to generalise. In discussions with the English speaking elite among the Christians, they will invariably talk about communal forces, repeat the same incorrect news about DeMo, GST etc but are neither able to support their argument, nor offer a better alternative. If they would rather live in some other country (most are surprised that I prefer to live in India) its best that they are ignored by the Govt, as they do not matter electorally and there is nothing the govt can do to `convert' them. However, most educated Christians I've met, are against for e.g. the recent statement of the Gujarat archbishop (oppose nationalist forces) and support several govt initiatives. None think RaGa would be a better PM. I find Muslims a lot more anti India.

My view is that this behavior is to do with the loss of the sense of entitlement and easier access to jobs etc that they hitherto enjoyed. There is a similar feeling among the elite of other communities, because for the first time, they are being made to pay taxes, they are finding it more difficult to use `pull' to get their kids jobs etc. Things are changing now because, as I sense, the bottom 90% of India, who historically had a per capita income growth of 1/3rd of the top 1% are starting to see incomes grow and more importantly have access to information, banking etc which improves their ability to compete. They are beginning to dislodge the elite.

When private airlines first started operations in India, they had a disproportionate no of air-hostesses from either the Christian community, or from upper middle class families in Metros. In 2010, when I headed commercial operations for an airline, I found that a third of the girls came from small towns (e.g. Solan, Jammu, Almora - like the Indian women's cricket team) and studied in a non English Medium (but spoke good English). Today that figure is about 2/3rd.

suryag
BGR Newbie

Post by suryag » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:50 pm

BTW what happened to pravin patil, seems to have gone quiet since July 2017

abhijit
BGR Member

Post by abhijit » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:53 pm

I found Christians I know are as patriotic as any hindu but majority could be assumed anti bjp. I don't understand the logic. Hindu as a culture is the most compatible for a minority Christian to live with. There are no hindu christain riots. Christian and muslims are as religion technically similar but highly incompatible to live together, at least in asian environment. However, indian Christians find indian muslim more palatable. Only if they could think what it would be to live in a muslim majority country.

Hari Seldon
BGR Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:22 pm

mean-e-while..... Another shocka whuddathunkit moment quietly passes us by ...

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:23 pm

Marry a Dalit, get Rs 2.5 lakhs! Modi govt revises old scheme to promote inter-caste marriage
http://www.timesnownews.com/india/artic ... odi/140890

Another nonsense, what kind of logic is this? What we need is education regarding why jatis were formed. Another drain on tax payers.

Hari Seldon
BGR Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:34 pm

Finally, finally, lotus starts to quietly pull weight by leveraging the advantage of having sympathetic (as opposed to pathetic) people in the powerful prez and veep positions of Des.

Check this delightful piece of news, given a miss by most TV channels and all...

Sharad Yadav disqualified from RS (Chindu)

Veep Naidu garu is too gentle a soul to tick the turd off the way he should have but even then, his remarks and judgement on Yadav's application are damning. Only.

I remember well Yadav's faux outrages and sickular posturings all too well. Good riddance to that hairy, jumbo-eared, uncouth bozo. He won't be missed, rest assured.

kvjayan
BGR Newbie

Post by kvjayan » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:38 pm

Hari Seldon wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:22 pm
mean-e-while..... Another shocka whuddathunkit moment quietly passes us by ...

It will be interesting to hear what the "opinion polls" say about this special (s)election!

Deans
BGR Newbie

Post by Deans » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:00 pm

abhijit wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:53 pm
I found Christians I know are as patriotic as any hindu but majority could be assumed anti bjp. I don't understand the logic. Hindu as a culture is the most compatible for a minority Christian to live with. There are no hindu christain riots. Christian and muslims are as religion technically similar but highly incompatible to live together, at least in asian environment. However, indian Christians find indian muslim more palatable. Only if they could think what it would be to live in a muslim majority country.
I don't think Indian Christians find Muslims more compatible, or even like them. The majority of Christians I interact with have the same concerns as many on this forum - i.e the spread of Radical Islam, Pak sponsored terror, very `in your face' fundamentalist behavior, appeasement of Muslims
in WB etc. That said, I see an irrational fear among Christians, of a more assertive Indian culture and nationalism of the BJP, which is (IMO) mistakenly associated with Hinduism.

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:10 pm

Deans wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:00 pm
abhijit wrote:
I don't think Indian Christians find Muslims more compatible, or even like them. The majority of Christians I interact with have the same concerns as many on this forum - i.e the spread of Radical Islam, Pak sponsored terror, very `in your face' fundamentalist behavior, appeasement of Muslims
in WB etc. That said, I see an irrational fear among Christians, of a more assertive Indian culture and nationalism of the BJP, which is (IMO) mistakenly associated with Hinduism.
Deans sir, I find new X converts are as rabid, fundamentalist and aggressive as the other group, I've experienced first hand few times.

Trilobite
BGR Member

Post by Trilobite » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:47 pm

SSundar wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:32 pm
'Samay' and 'CNX 'Gujarat election opinion poll 2017: BJP ahead of victory margin

The following table is very instructive. It is not too inaccurate to state that the Gujarat model is not everything it is made out to be. Irrigation and Government schools need a lot of improvement. Government hospitals too seem to need work. The list is not too different from the current Modi Center Government's blind spots - at least not much visible action seen. I would have thought the Gujaratis would be happy with irrigation.

The wider vote pool also thinks that the Patidar agitation is being mishandled seriously.

And that is only 1/2 the story. Gujarat performance on HDI parameters during 2001 - 2011 period was dismal. On HDI parameters Gujarat was a middle of the road state i.e. around 13 -15 the among the the 29 states in 2001 and remained so in 2011, the year for which HDI data is available. No doubt Gujarat economy expanded in terms of growth but there too the allegation is that the beneficiaries were big industrial houses of the likes of Adanis and Ambanis. It was crony capitalism run rampant. Much of this economic growth without any significant improvement in HDI came from heavy borrowing, Gujarat debt is over Rs 2.5 lakh crore, one of the highest among all states!

Hari Seldon
BGR Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:33 pm

^ Yup. Its looking dicey, mussay.

Pravin Patil has gone silent, just like he did right before the BH polls in 2015.

I'm hoping against hope that BJP scrapes through with a bare simple majority - INC coming in will turn GJ into KA style mafia raj, corruption and mismanagement.

abhijit
BGR Member

Post by abhijit » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:35 pm

Deans wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:00 pm
abhijit wrote:
That said, I see an irrational fear among Christians, of a more assertive Indian culture and nationalism of the BJP, which is (IMO) mistakenly associated with Hinduism.
Deans, I think more than hinuism it is to do with upper castism which is one of the reasons why many were converted to Christianity in first place. And BJP is yet to completely shade that image of a brahmin party. That image is rapidly changing and hope BJP comes out of that caste stereotype. For us Hinduism was never ever means hating other religions. There is no such thing as believer and nonbelievee in hinduism. I think many Christians understand that - as probably they their ancesy were hindu at some point - but what they truly resent is castism and which may be, just may be, the reason why they feel comfortable with indian muslims many of whom also share the similar reason
for conversion.

Narasimha
BGR Newbie

Post by Narasimha » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:03 pm

Hari Seldon wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:33 pm

Pravin Patil has gone silent, just like he did right before the BH polls in 2015.

I'm hoping against hope that BJP scrapes through with a bare simple majority - INC coming in will turn GJ into KA style mafia raj, corruption and mismanagement.
He is busy now on Twitter.

Trilobite
BGR Member

Post by Trilobite » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:03 pm

Karthik wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:23 pm
Marry a Dalit, get Rs 2.5 lakhs! Modi govt revises old scheme to promote inter-caste marriage
http://www.timesnownews.com/india/artic ... odi/140890

Another nonsense, what kind of logic is this? What we need is education regarding why jatis were formed. Another drain on tax payers.

This is an insult to the Dalits and can boomerang.

Narasimha
BGR Newbie

Post by Narasimha » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:07 pm

Hari Seldon wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:33 pm

He is busy now on Twitter.