The Great Indian Political Drama - 1 (Oct 2017 - Mar 2018)

The Archive forum serves as a repository for topics that have been closed from the other forums. They serve as a database for future reference.
AbhishekC
BGR Newbie

Re: The Great Indian Political Drama - Oct 2017

Post by AbhishekC » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:00 pm

SSundar wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:25 pm
Just to register as a GST payer?
Yup.

And do you know it is not possible to file a case against an IT officer without taking permission from his senior? And do you you who made this change in law? Modi of course.

Do you think that making it more difficult to sue a government official is going to make them more honest or less honest?

Dumal
BGR Newbie

Post by Dumal » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:23 am

Looks like some posters here not only lost a lot of cash recently but may continue to get squeezed in other ways by subsequent GST and Aadhar-linking spree. So theories galore about how the government should be afraid of the people and control freaks get off by destabilizing the world, etc...

Found this video posted on BR by poster Krisna there. https://youtu.be/5TwqSoShVCg

arshyam
BGR Member

Post by arshyam » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:13 am

AbhishekC wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:28 pm
arshyam wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:16 pm
#Blow2Modi. #TheMudiShudRejine
Yes, everything is Modi's fault onlee. No need to think beyond one's own ivory tower.

Bash on, regardless.
This is the standard reaction of bhakts to even half a sentence of criticising modi. :lol: Cognitive dissonance :D

It is my democratic right to criticise the government if I feel it is incompetent. As long as there is no official restriction on this I will exercise my right. The day modi decides to make Kim jong Il (or whatever) his political guru and ban this - I guess taking up weapons will remain the only choice.

Modi is angrezon ke zamaane ka jailor. :mrgreen:
Wah sir, wah. This is your level of commentary, and you take shelter under the figleaf of criticism:
AbhishekC wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:45 pm
Aadhar cards are generated by private contractors, not UIDAI itself. However, I don't think that is where the problem came from. Most of the farmers are illetrate or not literate enough. They may have coughed up money to touts and paid them to get aadhar. They pocketed the money and gave them a template print-out after changing the name and photo of the farmer - IMO.
Really? Have you designed the s/w yourself? Looks like you got cheated by a neighbourhood grocery store in giving you an Aadhaar card :lol:. Otherwise, you'd have known that the private Aadhaar contractors can generate only a receipt number containing the timestamp of the submission (which can be done offline and uploaded later). The actual number is generated by the Aadhaar DB after processing. It is a database, which means the primary keys have to be unique and issued by the database itself to be valid and unique. If the DB is indeed so bad, why not direct a few words at Nandan Nilekani and MaunMohan-ji as well? Why this special love for Modi? Don't bother with an answer to this question, I get it.

Now, if it is your case that 'poor farmers' were issued some number written on a piece of paper by some unscrupulous contractors or touts, how does that make it Modi's fault? Even then, that's a big assumption on your part with nary a shred of proof, which we 'bhakts' are supposed to accept from you on your say so. I will accept what Modi says to an extent on the basis of what he's done, but you'll understand I cannot extent the same courtesy to you, if you get my drift.

More AbhishekC uvacha:
AbhishekC wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:45 pm
I believe the intention was to make the governance system unstable by infusing this poor quality data into every facet of government. Modi is either compliant in this game or is too dense to understand how aadhar will create destabilising effects. Or my favourite - Modi is a control freak mentality person - he just gets off on making a system that controls everybody.
Gyaan drippping from each word. Not a source in support of these claims. But those who question these claims are bhakts.

Like I said, bash on, regardless.

#TheMudiShudRejine

arshyam
BGR Member

Post by arshyam » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:39 am

Supratik wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:07 pm
In a country like India it is not that easy. First step is to link everything to Adhaar, verify and for system to stabilize for every citizen. If and when the govt implements NRC you have no idea how much documentation you will require to prove you are a citizen.
Saar, at that point, we'll hear NRC is eebil, then Modi (or whoeover it is then) should resign, etc. etc. More :(( :((. Rinse and repeat.

Hari Seldon
BGR Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:42 am

Good that criticism of Modi sarkar is coming out into the open, whether misplaced or not.

I'm all on board with Modi sarkar initiatives that target tech use to ease service delivery - starting with the JAM trio - Jan dhan, aadhaar and Mobile (payments interface). In each component of JAM, things have been proposed, tested, tried, improved where possible, discarded where not etc.

And extending beyond JAM to dismantling bottlenecks to goods flow (e.g., octroi and other checkposts), money flow (UPI and BHIM for example), capital flow (the easing of extortionate environmental regs for instance), etc.

My beef with Modi sarkar is the complete wilful neglect of Hindu identity interests - especially of those parts which don;t conflict with 'sabka saath, sabka vikaas' - like giving us a level playing field on par with maino-rity faiths in running our own affairs - shrines, schools, charities, institutions etc.

However, even there, I see green shoots sprouting in the brown landscape. The projection and leveraging of the Yogi as a powerful saffron brand, driven as much by grassroots 'bottom-up' demand as by Modi-Shah 'top-down' facilitation is heartening to see. I hope to see more of it and as word spreads that what the Yogi is doing finds favor both with the electorate at large and the party brass, more yogis will emerge, a new normal will be reset. Or so I hope.

Finally, come poll time, there's zero doubt where my vote and energies will lie - firmly in the lotus camp. No amount of belly-aching on GST, aadhaar or other transient teething-troubles will cause a swing towards the openly anti-Hindu C-system. Period. Only.

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:59 am

Cross post from Corruption and other misdeeds by Congress, SP, AAP and other "secular" political parties.
EXCLUSIVE: Six AAP leaders, one former AAP member hid their assets from Election Commission
Updated: Nov 04, 2017 | 13:58 IST | Times Now Bureau
http://www.timesnownews.com/india-upfro ... ion/118727
New Delhi: Times Now’s investigation has revealed that six Aam Aadmi Party leaders and one former AAP member hid their assets from the Election Commission.
Acting on the tip-off of a whistleblower around three months ago, Times Now has been investigating the leaders who have committed a grave sin of omission.
The leaders have not mentioned their involvement in private companies, valuing lakhs of rupees – which is a violation of Section 125(A) of the Representation of Peoples Act and is liable for imprisonment for up to six months or fine or both.
The seven leaders include Asim Ahmed Khan, Adarsh Shastri, Kailash Gahlot, Mohd Yunus, Pramila Tokas, Rajesh Rishi and Kumar Vishwas.
AAP MLA Adarsh Shastri, grandson of former PM Lal Bahadur Shastri was a director in a UK company, but failed to mention it in his 2015 election affidavit. When confronted, Shastri stated that it was just an ‘honorary director’ in the firm, and thus, didn't need to mention it in the affidavit. However, Times Now’s report reveals that the company's documents do not mention anything about an honorary directorship.

AAP MLA Mohammad Yunus has shares in a company called the Federation of All India Haj Umrah Tour Organisers – which he did not mention in the affidavit. When questioned about it, he claimed that it was an NGO and not a company.

MLA Kailash Gahlot hid his shares in Rosy Builders Pvt Ltd and Superstar Innovation Pvt Ltd. When Times Now confronted Gahlot, he evaded all questions and stated that he will have to check his documents.

AP MLA Rajesh Rishi failed to mention his wife's directorship in the company Winner Electrotec Pvt Ltd and then claimed that his wife became a director in the firm after he had filed the affidavit with the poll panel.

AAP MLA Pramila Tokas who did not reveal in the affidavit the shares that her husband owns in companies and when confronted, she stated that since the companies are linked to her husband, and not her, there was no need to mention them in the affidavit.

When Times Now confronted the seven AAP leaders who hid their assets on their election affidavits, some were evasive, while others were completely brazen. The channel was also threatened with legal action for the report.

Supratik
Forum Moderator

Post by Supratik » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:46 am

There is a difference between criticism and lying.

Sachin
BGR Oldie

Post by Sachin » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:24 am

AbhishekC wrote:The real scandal is that junk aadhar numbers are now part of the system. This is being spun into a positive news that a major scandal was prevented using aadhar.
I feel you are completely wrong here, and wrong at blaming Modi & Co for this goof up. The bogus number was accepted at the bank's computer system. So the onus of correcting the existing data and fixing this issue remains at the bank level. My salary account is with CitiBank. I got an SMS indicating that I need to link this with Aadhaar. I had to comply, for the simple reason that they will lock the account post Dec.31st (that is the threat, and enforcing compliance). I have an Aadhaar # and I updated that on the netbanking system. Now within two days flat I got an SMS saying my Aadhaar linking has failed, because the name on my account and the name on Aadhar card was not matching (Aadhar has my expaned name First Middle Last Name, where as my bank ac # has only my First Name & initials). So they rejected my request. Now I have written them a letter with all the relevant details. The onus how ever is on me to get this fixed for good, but the bank has also been quite strict about it. In the issue you mentioned, it was the bank who shirked their responsibility. Blaming this on Modi is like blaming him for the local Thanedaar/Daroga not "marching out" the night beat police men.
Aadhar cards are generated by private contractors, not UIDAI itself. However, I don't think that is where the problem came from.
Wrong. Private contractors have to ride piggy back on the the Aadhaar software to get the registration done. I myself got the Aadhaar registration done by a private party. The address in my card was of my home town (in Kerala). The data entry+finger print scan+iris scan was done at the local contractor level. All he gave me was a registration number (a print out). The UIDAI authorities actually sent the paper copy of my Aadhaar card to the address mentioned in the Aadhaar system by India Post (all government agencies). The paper copy is a bit tough to carry easily, so the contractor had a scheme in which he would give a plastic card. He charges extra, and also took a consensus letter signed from me. But even this plastic card (size of a credit card) only contains what ever information the printed card which came from UIDAI.
Dumal wrote:But also note that PAN only covers taxpayers and if you ask all to get PAN, that will be panned as overreach. EPIc probably came into being because there was no Aadhar... Makes sense to ask EPIC to be junked once Aadhar takes root...
The EPIC or election voters ID came in when India was taking baby steps in computerisation. I am sure that this system would get phased out in a timely manner (Modi or no Modi). Election voter ID card was introduced in late 1990s, and to be frank if my wife had seen my photo graph on my election ID card the marriage would have not happened.

abhijit
BGR Member

Post by abhijit » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:44 am

I am in full support of Modi going aggressive on Aadhaar. We in India need one system that can bring down misuse of tax payer's money. No solution is perfect and people always try to find loopholes. We all experienced this during demo. But that doesn't mean the intention is fraudulent.

Link Aadhaar everywhere. I don't mind. I have nothing to hide. Current system is so bad we need to get those worms out of the system. We can tackle holy issues of data privacy later in good times.

KarthikSan
BGR Newbie

Post by KarthikSan » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:33 am

AbhishekC wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:10 pm
So, a Rs 1 lakh, bribe will be paid in cheques of Rs 25k each. This is the going rate for GST registration.

As per news reports 60 lakh businesses registered for GST, of which 14 lakh were in tax generating range. If we assume that 50% of the tax paying businesses paid 1 lakh each, the black money generated by GST registration alone was Rs 7000 crore. This has been shared between IT officials and BJP.
1 lakh bribe for GST registration? Where in India is this?

I registered my company in May through a sales tax consultant. It didn't cost me anything. Heck...the guy hasn't even billed me yet and I've called him several times asking for the bill. He keeps saying it's nothing and he won't charge me for this small favor as my dad was his first client and my dad helped him out a lot.

My brother runs a couple of small businesses and he did the "online" GST registration himself after attending the training session held by TN sales tax dept. He also files the returns himself every month. It was a little confusing in the beginning but now he has figured out most of the stuff and there aren't too many problems.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:44 pm

KarthikSan wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:33 am
AbhishekC wrote:
So, a Rs 1 lakh, bribe will be paid in cheques of Rs 25k each. This is the going rate for GST registration.

As per news reports 60 lakh businesses registered for GST, of which 14 lakh were in tax generating range. If we assume that 50% of the tax paying businesses paid 1 lakh each, the black money generated by GST registration alone was Rs 7000 crore. This has been shared between IT officials and BJP.
1 lakh bribe for GST registration? Where in India is this?

I registered my company in May through a sales tax consultant. It didn't cost me anything. Heck...the guy hasn't even billed me yet and I've called him several times asking for the bill. He keeps saying it's nothing and he won't charge me for this small favor as my dad was his first client and my dad helped him out a lot.

My brother runs a couple of small businesses and he did the "online" GST registration himself after attending the training session held by TN sales tax dept. He also files the returns himself every month. It was a little confusing in the beginning but now he has figured out most of the stuff and there aren't too many problems.
It's obvious the tax consultant paid the one lakh out of gratitude to your father. He is an honourable person in the mould of AbhishekC.

Primus
Forum Moderator

Post by Primus » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:12 pm

Hari Seldon wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:42 am
However, even there, I see green shoots sprouting in the brown landscape. The projection and leveraging of the Yogi as a powerful saffron brand, driven as much by grassroots 'bottom-up' demand as by Modi-Shah 'top-down' facilitation is heartening to see. I hope to see more of it and as word spreads that what the Yogi is doing finds favor both with the electorate at large and the party brass, more yogis will emerge, a new normal will be reset. Or so I hope.

Finally, come poll time, there's zero doubt where my vote and energies will lie - firmly in the lotus camp. No amount of belly-aching on GST, aadhaar or other transient teething-troubles will cause a swing towards the openly anti-Hindu C-system. Period. Only.
I believe appointing YA as the CM of UP was a masterstroke and will go down in history as one of the most important milestones in the ascendancy of the BJP. He is fearless, truly dedicated to Dharmic causes and does not tolerate any nonsense. Does not need to be politically correct. If you see his responses in 'Aap Ki Adalat' before the UP election it is a very clear indicator of the strength of his convictions.

He is the 'bad cop' to NM's 'good cop'. Modi for obvious reasons cannot openly promote the Dharmic agenda and indeed needs to focus on overall development. Poco a poco, the sweet sounds of progress can be heard in all corners and given time - he needs at least one more term if not two - the music will reach a crescendo. By then, YA would have consolidated his hold on the hearts of the Hindus and done away with the politics of appeasement.

Who can forget this scene? watch from 1.15 onwards, as this poor dalit woman happily says she is voting for Modi (used to be a slam-dunk for Mayawati).

SSundar
BGR Member

Post by SSundar » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:35 pm

AbhishekC wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:00 pm
SSundar wrote:
Yup.

And do you know it is not possible to file a case against an IT officer without taking permission from his senior? And do you you who made this change in law? Modi of course.

Do you think that making it more difficult to sue a government official is going to make them more honest or less honest?
You forgot to mention what they are paying bribes for. Is this like a household paying a bribe to a lineman for an electricity connection they are entitled to anyway? Or is it to steal electricity without a bill?

On the government servants bill, here's what I found. Read through this please.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india/ant ... O2ZmK.html

Sachin
BGR Oldie

Post by Sachin » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:41 am

BJP mustn't be "one-man show", two-man army": Shatrughan Sinha
"I cannot understand the fault of veterans like Lal Krishna Advani, Murli Manohar Joshi, Yashwant Sinha and Arun Shourie. Why were they sidelined....
We failed to win over Hardik Patel who was ideologically closer to the BJP. Had we handled him properly ....

Shatrughan Sinha, Yeshwant Sinha,Arun Shourie, Riot Purush all seems to be in the same boat of disgruntled BJP leaders (!?). All seem to be petty individuals who would spite any one, if they don't have their way. The good news is that the opposition folks have to now rely on the disgruntled BJP oldies to give them some brownie points.

And on the case of "handling Harpik Patel", the news seems to hold a clue. Looks like Harpik knows that he can been caught with his "pant's down" (literally and figuratively) and is now trying for anticipatory bail :lol:. On the matter of watching and enjoying it depends on the performance of the duo.
Hardik Patel claims BJP may use ‘fake sex CD’ to defame him
"The BJP has prepared a doctored sex CD to defame me and it will be released just before the election. What else can one expect from the BJP? So just wait, watch and enjoy," Hardik said.

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:11 am

^^
There was a pretty common term used for such politicians which I don't see much anymore, असंतुष्ट नेता (asantusht neta, unsatisfied politician). They behave like that due to loss of post, prestige, ego or dozens of reasons.

BTW, what is this thing about paying for registration under GST ? What kind of people need to pay bribe for registration ? I don't know much about business, but it doesn't seem to be believable. Seems more like a scam being played on ignorant traders if true.

Deans
BGR Newbie

Post by Deans » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:27 am

AbhishekC wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:00 pm
SSundar wrote:
Yup.

Its just the opposite, an IT enquiry (pretext to harass) cannot be launched unless there is prima facie proof (like high DeMo deposits with no explanation) and a senior guy signs off on it. Why should a taxpayer need permission to file a case against harassment ?
I know first time taxpayers who have registered on GSTN with no problem.

Trilobite
BGR Member

Post by Trilobite » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:35 am

Bah bah Yogi ji!

UP to have 'gaushalas' in each district: Yogi Adityanath
LUCKNOW: Promising that the UP government would soon come up with "gaushala" each in the 75 districts of the state, chief minister Yogi Adityanath on Sunday said that these gaushalas will not be operated by government but will have to be taken care by local societies. The CM also refuted claims that the state was the biggest exporter of beef in the country.

Hari Seldon
BGR Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:55 am

Sri AbhishekC bosted this a few days ago:
Whoa! me thought. If true, this is damning indeed. Turns out truth is as Sri Deans says below:
Deans wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:27 am
Its just the opposite, an IT enquiry (pretext to harass) cannot be launched unless there is prima facie proof (like high DeMo deposits with no explanation) and a senior guy signs off on it. Why should a taxpayer need permission to file a case against harassment ?
I know first time taxpayers who have registered on GSTN with no problem.
Shux.

The intent and extent and of Sri AbhishekC's prevarications are fart-rending indeed. Pity such lies go ringa-round the web spreading c-system disinformation.

Also puts paid to the credibility of anything else the chappie bosts now on. Sheesh.

Hari Seldon
BGR Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:57 am

Narendra Modi government turns to Gujarat model to fast-track investments, mulls mega SPV to bring efficiency (FinExp)
The government is considering parking a large chunk of the central public sector enterprises’ (CPSEs) “reserves and surpluses” with a special purpose vehicle (SPV), with the twin objectives of imparting more efficiency to the process of investing these funds and enabling the firms to fetch higher returns on their surpluses.
CPSE capex comes from the gubmint, or so I thought. But lookie atthe spread between what is happening (10%+ interest rate on loans to CPSEs) versus what is possible (6.5% interest only on loans from the SPV).
At last count, the CPSEs’ reserves and surpluses stood at around `8 lakh crore. Most of these are currently parked in banks and mutual funds. The latest proposal takes cue from a model successfully followed by Gujarat over the last few years: the state government-owned Gujarat State Financial Services (GSFS) manages the surplus funds of state-level agencies and PSUs, pays a 6.5% annual interest on deposits of up to three years and lends from the corpus to the needy state PSUs at rates lower than banks do, by doing away with a large part of intermediation costs.

The PSUs that have workable investment plans get to use the loans from GSFS, while these funds would have otherwise remained unutilised with the firms that were holding them. According to official sources, the move would give CPSEs, which have the ability to investment in new projects but are finding it difficult to get loans, easy access to low-cost funds pooled from their peers. The deposits in the SPV could be between 3 months and 3 years and advances too are likely to be of similar tenures.

The proposed SPV could deploy idle funds in the market to generate revenues, if there is not sufficient investment demand from PSUs, the sources added.

Currently, the CPSEs borrow at 10%-plus interest rates from banks, but get only 4.25% on bulk deposits up to three-years. In contrast, under a liquid deposit scheme (similar to current account), GSFS pays 5.5% interest per annum compared to nil by banks. Of the reserves and surplus held by CPSEs at the end of FY16, over Rs 2.43 lakh crore was “surplus,” almost equal to the aggregate short-term borrowings by the CPSEs in FY16. While reserves are tied to specified objectives, surplus accounts are where profits reside and dividends are paid off.

Coal India, BHEL, ONGC, Oil India and BPCL are among the CPSEs with the largest amounts as surpluses. At the other end, a clutch of state-run entities like FCI, IndianOil, SAIL, RVNL and Air India are the biggest short-term borrowers among CPSEs, meaning if cheaper funds will enable them to implement their projects faster or remove working capital constraints (see chart).

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:29 am

one lakh to register at GSTN ?

:lol: somebody made somebody a damn fool

Dumal
BGR Newbie

Post by Dumal » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:02 am

Modi is in Chennai "holding hands of Karunanidhi"! What's going on?

I try not to lose my sanity by following the local TV or print media. So, no idea how this worked out and what is happening behind the scenes. Now that I think about it, Stalin and gang have been very quiet for several weeks now, at least since the time a new Guv was appointed. Is this some indication of their irreconcilable split with the Congis in TN? While the Congis are propping up Kamal, TNK and assorted loonies in stirring the pot?

Yagnasri
BGR Newbie

Post by Yagnasri » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:19 am

NM always has shown respect to other parties in personal meetings etc. These meetings will be normally planned well in advance and there may not be too much to read into this. Someone is saying that 2G judgement is coming tomorrow and this is an indication that there will be an acquittal. I am not sure of that.

Chandragupta
BGR Member

Post by Chandragupta » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:57 am

AbhishekC wrote:
jamwal wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:37 pm
AbhishekC wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:29 pm
Regarding ivory tower, do you know that large bribes are now being given by cheques?
How does it work ? Why not just give cash ?

Between my family, we have registered for GST in 4 states, not one penny paid. Please keep the criticism real, Abhishek saar.

On the other hand, I do agree that Modi has gone back on his promise of Less Government, More Governance. He has effectively unleashed the bureaucracy on us and has handed them immense power.

SSundar
BGR Member

Post by SSundar » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:02 pm

Gus wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:29 am
one lakh to register at GSTN ?

:lol: somebody made somebody a damn fool
Saar, it is 100% true onlee. You do have to pay RS. 1 lakh as mamool to join the Gabbar Singh Tourist Network :D .

SSundar
BGR Member

Post by SSundar » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:08 pm

Chandragupta wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:57 am
On the other hand, I do agree that Modi has gone back on his promise of Less Government, More Governance. He has effectively unleashed the bureaucracy on us and has handed them immense power.
The issue here is that you need the cooperation of the bureaucracy to deploy a technology-based regime where much of the government's transactions with the people can be managed without the bureaucrats. The GoI did remove bureaucracy from the path of most subsidies.

Remember how powerful and bureaucratic the US IRS was before the internet era. Today, you hardly have to face an IRS babu unless you get audited or Officer Joseph calls you from Pune or Indore to threaten you on your H1B visa ;) .