The Great Indian Political Drama - 1 (Oct 2017 - Mar 2018)

The Archive forum serves as a repository for topics that have been closed from the other forums. They serve as a database for future reference.
kittoo
BGR Newbie

Re: The Great Indian Political Drama - Oct 2017

Post by kittoo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:08 pm

BhairavP wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:29 am
Yashwant Deshmukh analysed the trends in these by-elections, and extrapolated to the whole of the state. Congress 139 and BJP 53 in a house of 200 would be the result.
I have no idea why they keep making Vasundhara the CM. Such a sleeping queen.
Anyway. Yupe, Rajasthan is totally lost, at least as far as assembly elections are concerned. Going to be a sad year. I just hope BJP doesn't get a drubbing worse than what Congress got in 2013.

Primus
Forum Moderator

Post by Primus » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:08 pm

Trilobite wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:17 am
Kabir wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:17 pm

Standing your ground on Indic issues is not vigilantism. The tolerance, thick skin, thin consience, ahimsa, athithi devo bhava, sama bhav etc is what we have been practising for the last 800 years for our rapists and enemies

Standing up for ground on indic or any xyz_ic issue can be done within the parameters of law, and democracy provides space for that. Vigilantism is breaking the law and therefore criminal. There is no "good" vigilantism. I can not agree that there is a "kosher" variety of vigilantism.
I think there is one very obvious 800lb gorilla we are ignoring here.

If Indic values and Dharma is to survive, it needs to learn from the Jews and Islam in general.

Has anyone ever wondered or stopped to think why NOBODY, and I mean NOBODY - no politician, journalist, writer, movie-maker or public figure ever comes out with ANY material, or statement that may in any way be construed as 'insulting' to islam? The reason is they do not want to end up like the poor guys at Charlie Hebdo, or the Dutch movie producer Theo Van Gogh, or Salman Rushdie. After Charlie Hebdo, British journalists went to the extent of stating that people should not 'insult' islam. When questioned about it, they admitted they were afraid of being targeted themselves.

In India, it is even worse, Muslim mobs brazenly break the law and the police does nothing about it especially when it is anything to do with a perceived matter of faith, like stopping traffic on the roads to offer namaz. Everyone is afraid of rampaging crowds, threats to property, life and limb. Why is it that in any communal riot the media never utters the word 'muslim', it is always 'people of one community'.

In the end, if you are capable of extreme violence in the name of faith, nobody will mess with you or yours. I am NOT saying this is what Hindu groups should do, but sometimes the deterrent is enough. If a 'militant' wing of Hinduism was known to be very intolerant of anybody insulting our way of life, they would think twice before doing so.

An even better approach would be to do what the Jews do. In the New York area especially, they are very powerful and make sure nobody 'crosses the line'. Years ago an ad for a vodka that said 'Christmas quality at Hanukkah prices' was forced off the billboards as it was said to portray the Jewish community as stingy. The Jewish lobby is extremely powerful, even those that do not wear the faith on their sleeves (the reformed, pork-eating, non-kosher Jews) all unite together when there is a common threat. Their power comes not from their numbers but from the money they collectively possess - which they put to good use in lobbying for their interests - and the political and other soft leadership they develop. In any sphere - local communities, schools, colleges, hospitals, courts - they have, over the years ensured that their people occupy the top positions thus promoting their own growth and recruitment to similar posts so that they can in the end ensure that the power rests with them. NO other single ethnic or religious group wields the kind of influence that the Jewish community does, certainly not in the NY metro area.

If Hindus do not have the stomach to be brutal and violent like Islamic mobs then they need to become powerful and united like the Jews are. Many years ago, a Jewish professor of mine who grew up in Germany said that before WWII, the Jews were gradually declining in numbers due to attrition from several sources - marrying into other faiths, giving up on Jewish practice etc. However, the Holocaust changed all that and they emerged if anything stronger from that, certainly in the USA. The realization that unless they band together they would be annihilated made all the difference. The single phrase that stands out in their ethos is 'never again'. All of them send their children to Auschwitz and similar camps to witness for themselves the horrors perpetrated upon their people.

We on the other hand are happily, in a constant denial mode, whitewashing or worse, glorifying the murder, rape and plunder of our people and our lands by Khilji and other Islamic hordes.

If the Hindus wait for their own holocaust to change the way they think and behave, I am afraid it may be too late.

Aditya_V
BGR Member

Post by Aditya_V » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:12 pm

The problem with Hindus is a very high percentage of Hindu society is anti Hindu, so no one will take them seriously.

Supratik
Forum Moderator

Post by Supratik » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:18 pm

This is the right time to remove Vasundhara. BJP should not have made her CM in the first place. Meanwhile, BJP is now firmly the opposition in WB and I expect that to come true in 2018 panchayat elections.

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:36 pm

From shanknaad, is it true?

shravanp
BGR Member

Post by shravanp » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:49 pm

Supratik wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:18 pm
This is the right time to remove Vasundhara. BJP should not have made her CM in the first place. Meanwhile, BJP is now firmly the opposition in WB and I expect that to come true in 2018 panchayat elections.
On one hand some tweeples are saying she made good roads and push to infra, where-as in my personal visit to RA, every single individual spoke against her, although not against Modi (in fact they held him in high esteem).

Schmidt
BGR Newbie

Post by Schmidt » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:53 pm

The medical insurance scheme - so called Modicare just doesn't add up

At 5 lacs per family for 10 cr families ifgod forbid they all land up with some ailments will cost 770 billion USD every year

I hope they got their sums right

Even if a tenth avail of this scheme it will cost us 77 BILLION USD a year

Also , even tax paying middle class families don't have this kind of cover

I am not sure what Jaitley was smoking when he came up with this half added proposal

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:59 pm

For people complaining about income tax, China taxes every RMB you earn. It's slabs start from 0 RMB and the tax rates are high too.

abhijit
BGR Member

Post by abhijit » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:50 pm

income tax slabs should be linked to retail inflation.

kittoo
BGR Newbie

Post by kittoo » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:56 pm

shravanp wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:49 pm
Supratik wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:18 pm
On one hand some tweeples are saying she made good roads and push to infra, where-as in my personal visit to RA, every single individual spoke against her, although not against Modi (in fact they held him in high esteem).
Yupe. I mean, I am a hardcore BJP supporter and I dont like Vasundhara either. Not that it means I will vote for Congress (when our nation and civilization is at stake, no issue can make me side with Congress), but a lot of Hindus arent as steadfast as us people here (let alone on the level of Muslims/Christians) and will vote for Congress if they dont see visible progress either on Hindu matters or financial matters.
In fact, this is what goes around in Rajasthan- "Modi se bair nahi, Vasundhara ki khair nahi," (No issue with Modi, but wont spare Vasundhara).

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:06 pm

hanumadu wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:59 pm
For people complaining about income tax, China taxes every RMB you earn. It's slabs start from 0 RMB and the tax rates are high too.
People won't complain if everyone pays. And if govt doesn't spend on minority schemes. What's the kind of infra that Chinese have and what we have? IT paying citizens are such a minority, ofcourse they'll complain. Not only that, govt also usurps temple money.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:59 pm

Karthik wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:06 pm
hanumadu wrote:
People won't complain if everyone pays. And if govt doesn't spend on minority schemes. What's the kind of infra that Chinese have and what we have? IT paying citizens are such a minority, ofcourse they'll complain. Not only that, govt also usurps temple money.
Chinese have that kind of infra because they are taxed like that. We will have that infra too if you are willing to pay that kind of tax.
India's percapita is Re1,15,000. Indian's do not pay income tax up to Re2,90,000. You don't pay tax up to more than double the percapita income. I don't see what you are complaining about? There is a reason IT paying citizens are a minority - because the vast majority do not have that income.

geeth
BGR Newbie

Post by geeth » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:15 pm

In fact, this is what goes around in Rajasthan- "Modi se bair nahi, Vasundhara ki khair nahi," (No issue with Modi, but wont spare Vasundhara)./quote]

Yup! Same way slogans were raised in Punjab about drug peddling...Now Amrinder in and Presto! No drug peddling issue ( insider story is QM has taken over that business)

What to do...Hindus know how to fcuk themselves! Will any any other religion talk like this? To teach Vasundhara a lesson??

geeth
BGR Newbie

Post by geeth » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:19 pm

Schmidt wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:53 pm

At 5 lacs per family for 10 cr families ifgod forbid they all land up with some ailments will cost 770 billion USD every year

I am not sure what Jaitley was smoking when he came up with this half added proposal
It doesn't add up because you are putting 50 crore people in ailment per annum and each spending 5 lakhs!

Suraj
BGR Member

Post by Suraj » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:23 pm

Schmidt wrote:

It is an insurance scheme and not a payment scheme. GoI essentially offers an insurance policy (probably linked to one Aadhaar ID per family) worth Rs.5 lakh in coverage and pays the annual premium for it. Policies like this already exist in multiple states, where the state pays the premium on similar policies. In other words, there's already expenditure on similar plans on a smaller scale, and this simply is a more ambitious aggregation of the matter into one large scheme. If a basic policy is available for Rs.1000-1500 premium a year, that's Rs.10,000-15000 crore overall spending, part of which is already penciled in due to states spending on similar schemes already in existence.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:27 pm

geeth wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:19 pm
Schmidt wrote:

It doesn't add up because you are putting 50 crore people in ailment per annum and each spending 5 lakhs!
All are not going to spend 5 lakhs each, are they??

This is a serious scam inducing reform, just like MNREGA was scammed in the early days by the congis and commies.

The govt must guard carefully against misuse and have very stringent punishment norms for misuse.

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:34 pm

hanumadu wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:59 pm
Karthik wrote:
hanumadu wrote:
Chinese have that kind of infra because they are taxed like that. We will have that infra too if you are willing to pay that kind of tax.
India's percapita is Re1,15,000. Indian's do not pay income tax up to Re2,90,000. You don't pay tax up to more than double the percapita income. I don't see what you are complaining about? There is a reason IT paying citizens are a minority - because the vast majority do not have that income.
You've got statistics all wrong. That percapita number you posted doesn't take into account parallel economy which could be as high as $1T. What was China's percapita income 10 years back and how was their infra then? How many minority schemes they have? How many doctors and rich farmers pay tax in India? Rich farmers earning crores don't pay tax, can speak of myriad of other professions. All these guys earn exponentially more than salaried class. How much tax kashmiris pay? What's the amount govt allocated to them? How much is spent on security of hurriyat? From where the money comes from?

a) Not everyone pays tax even though they make far more than salaried class.
b) Taxes collected as used for many subsidies, minority schemes SOPs etc.and not for betterment of lives of the tax payer.
c) Only group that doesn't get any relief in any budget.
Ofcourse people will get angry.

Schmidt
BGR Newbie

Post by Schmidt » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:36 pm

I know its an insurance scheme but it has all the hallmarks of morphing into a mega scam of epic proportions

Also the average premiums for a 5 lac policy are around 12-15000 per annum so the premiums alone would work out to 150000 crore per year ( might be a bit less due to the volumes involved )
Thats 25 Billion usd right there

For this kind of coverage the government should have brought in the entire population under its gambit

The point I made about payment scheme is still valid if a significant number of policy holders start to make claims every year ; then it would not be just premiums but actual costs that would have to be paid out

Schmidt
BGR Newbie

Post by Schmidt » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:45 pm

This has serious possibility of turning into a scam of epic proportions

Say Garib aadmi no 1 has some minor ailment and drops into Sham hospital nearby
Sham hospital says here is a proposal where you make a cool 1 lac just laying around for a week

Sham hospital manufactures a set of diagnostics , a sham surgery plus pre/post surgery treatments and runs up a bill of 4.9 lacs and gets it processed by the govt or insurer and pays off Garib aadmi his 1 lac

I fully expect unscrupulous politicos to enter the healthcare sector and participate in the loot

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:48 pm

Schmidt wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:36 pm
I know its an insurance scheme but it has all the hallmarks of morphing into a mega scam of epic proportions

Also the average premiums for a 5 lac policy are around 12-15000 per annum so the premiums alone would work out to 150000 crore per year ( might be a bit less due to the volumes involved )

For this kind of coverage the government should have brought in the entire population under its gambit

The point I made about payment scheme is still valid if a significant number of policy holders start to make claims every year ; then it would not be just premiums but actual costs that would have to be paid out
They have not yet decided what sort of a scheme it will be, whether insurance based or otherwise.

The premiums, if insurance based, will be a fraction of what you have indicated because of the sheer scale of operations.

They are saying that it will take 6-9 months to roll out and implement.

Tenders have to be called for and some legal formalities as well as scam proofing will be involved and also repeatedly iterated as the scheme moves forward, to improve efficacy as well as efficiency of service.

Just like GST is being handled right now.

I hope that the insurance companies chosen are all Indian owned & based and not some stupid european or cheeni companies included in some silly "spirit" of globalization.
Last edited by chetak on Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:51 pm

Insurance cover is necessary, health issues consume life time of savings. Just need to make sure possible leaks are plugged.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:58 pm

Karthik wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:34 pm
hanumadu wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:59 pm
Karthik wrote:

You've got statistics all wrong. That percapita number you posted doesn't take into account parallel economy which could be as high as $1T. What was China's percapita income 10 years back and how was their infra then? How many minority schemes they have? How many doctors and rich farmers pay tax in India? Rich farmers earning crores don't pay tax, can speak of myriad of other professions. All these guys earn exponentially more than salaried class. How much tax kashmiris pay? What's the amount govt allocated to them? How much is spent on security of hurriyat? From where the money comes from?

a) Not everyone pays tax even though they make far more than salaried class.
b) Taxes collected as used for many subsidies, minority schemes SOPs etc.and not for betterment of lives of the tax payer.
c) Only group that doesn't get any relief in any budget.
Ofcourse people will get angry.
And you have got everything right.
The parallel economy and the figure you say is just conjecture. You cannot pull a figure out of thin air and base your argument on just that.
The chinese were taxing their citizens much more than us for a long time. So pay those taxes for a few years and then ask about infrastructure.

Why bring minorities, temples, Kashmir into a tax debate?

Yes, not all pay their fair share of taxes. But the solution for it is not 'lets everybody not pay taxes'. The solution is to bring them into tax net which the government is trying to do by DeMo, GST etc. But you probably complained about them too how the core BJP vote bank is being affected by Demo and GST.

MIddle class get plenty of subsidy. Public transport is subsidized. Railways, metro, suburban transport, National highways, education. All these are used by middle class than the poor. Would you rather pay less taxes and have none of these?

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:08 pm

Dr Praveen Patil‏
@5Forty3

By and large, bye-elections and local body polls are pure noise minus any signal because they are extremely localized. Yet, the scale of Rajasthan loss for a ruling party is a huge scare for BJP!

Suraj
BGR Member

Post by Suraj » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:10 pm

Schmidt wrote:
Irrelevant argument. Throwing the word 'scam' about is the equivalent of crying wolf at anything . The more often you do it, the less people care about it.
Schmidt wrote:
This is a basic coverage policy. Insurance policy costs are driven by many factors - coverage level, age, number of people covered, and more. Exact actuarial details are far too complex to discuss, but any basic policy for 100 million households isn't going to cost anywhere as much as a typical comprehensive insurance plan based on a fraction of that many subscribers.

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:16 pm

Excellent article by Devi Shetty https://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.c ... -services/
Served by Indians: For India to be a services superpower, diversify beyond IT to medical services
Contrary to popular perception, the health sector at $8 trillion is the world’s largest industry (IT is $3.4 trillion, oil $2 trillion, automobiles $2 trillion). In the US and UK the health sector is the largest employment generator today. UK’s National Health Service is the world’s fifth largest employer.

India needs two million nurses and the rest of the world nine million. The nursing profession is not attracting talent in India because of lack of career progression. In the US 67% of anaesthetic procedures are done by nurse-anaesthetists. In India a nurse who has worked in intensive care for 20 years is legally not allowed to prescribe even a pain killer. A 25-year-old nurse intensivist can easily earn a lakh rupees a month in India. All it requires is regulatory changes to make healthcare delivery inclusive and not the exclusive domain of doctors.

According to the World Bank there will be a demand for 80.2 million health workers across the world in just 13 years. Healthcare jobs are not attractive for people from wealthy countries. We should train rural youth to become doctors, nurses and paramedics for the world. There are 45,000 doctors and nurses from Cuba working in Central America earning about $8 billion a year. Philippines receives $29.7 billion in remittances, mostly from its 1,50,000 nurses and 18,000 physicians working abroad.

We should convert 600 district hospitals as medical nursing and paramedical schools to train 5 million doctors, nurses and paramedics for the global requirement. They can remit about $100 billion of precious foreign currency every year over a period of time. It doesn’t cost Rs 400 crore to build modern medical schools. There are 35 medical schools in the Caribbean region training doctors for the US. These medical schools occupy about 50,000 sq ft rented space in shopping malls, where most of the teaching is done by Indians.