The Great Indian Political Drama - 1 (Oct 2017 - Mar 2018)

The Archive forum serves as a repository for topics that have been closed from the other forums. They serve as a database for future reference.
Gus
Forum Moderator

Re: The Great Indian Political Drama - Oct 2017

Post by Gus » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:00 pm

Sachin wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:38 am
Correct me if I am wrong. This "rational politics" seems to be the CPI(M) version of "secularism" in Kerala. That is; rationalisam is mainly applied against Hinduism. Christianity and Islam are very much rational & logical religions, so much so that communists/rationalists need not try bringing changes there. Where as "spiritual politics", would be much more suited to the "Indic religions" and thought processes.
of course..but with the additional layers of tamil vs hindi, aryan vs dravidian etc. these layers are not there / not significant in malloostan i think.

crams
Forum Moderator

Post by crams » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:12 pm

I was always a tad circumspect whether BJP can bring OBCs and Dalits under one Hinduthva umbrella. But after the massive UP win, I saw a silver lining. But Congoons have thwarted that as Gujarat has shown. Amit Shah and other BJP strategists now need to go back to the drawing table. Status quo will not work. Hinduthva is still a trump card for BJP, but its not going to be as smooth sailing as I thought post UP.

JohnTitor
BGR Member

Post by JohnTitor » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:32 pm

But bjp doesn't want to be seen as hindu. They are pussyfooting instead of embracing hinduism.

Fact remains, no matter what the seculars wint vote bjp in large numbers. Yet bjp continues to dream they will.

KJo
Forum Moderator

Post by KJo » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:01 pm

John is right. BJP is trying to become Congress. They are forgetting that it was the Hindus who put them in power and they better do something for the Hindus. Modi needs to get cracking and quick.

As far as Rajni goes, I don't see a problem as yet. I am a Hindu, but I like Jesus and his ideas too. I think he was a good man. His followers then went EJ and turned his name into a money making business we see today. Mighty Mo was a terrorist right from the start, so we see the effects of his terror cult too.

Let us see what he does. If he goes "sickular" then there is a problem.

kvjayan
BGR Newbie

Post by kvjayan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:13 pm

A detailed write-up, explaining, with a lot of clarifications, on the history behind the latest caste flare-up in Maharashtra:

'Battle of Koregaon : Lessons in Unity'

A telling comment: "The British did not give any Dalit such position. If Mahar foot soldiers being a part of the British side makes it a Mahar victory, then India has undoubtedly won both the world wars!"

http://www.opindia.com/2018/01/battle-o ... -in-unity/

Trilobite
BGR Member

Post by Trilobite » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:44 pm

hanumadu wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:00 am
Looking back at Gujarat, could the farmer's crisis have been handled better? BJP could have easily retained its seats if it performed well in rural areas. Who dropped the ball on this one? How did they miss the signs?

Is this the reason Nitin Patel was not given the finance ministry? A state like Gujarat could have easily handled the extra burden of providing relief to the farmers.
How did Amit Shah miss the signs of rural revolt?

A bigger defeat would have crushed the congress and demoralized the cadre. On the other hand, hopefully BJP learnt some lessons for the all important 2019.
IMO you are drawing wrong inferences. This was a closer election that the outcome conveys. Though BJP lost 15 seats narrowing with a margin of less than 2000 votes, but it also won nearly equal number of seats by a margin of less than 2000 votes, some with only few 100 votes!

Modi won the election for BJP in last 10 days of Hindutva style campaigning and latching on to self goals by MSY and KS.

The rub here is though that Hindutva won him the election it also exposed the diminishing return part of it, and this happened in Gujarat, the most Hindutva state of India.

All in all interesting time ahead, state election results of 2018 will provide pointer to 2019, but one thing we can conclude, it is not going to be easy.

Trilobite
BGR Member

Post by Trilobite » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:34 pm

hanumadu wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:00 am
Looking back at Gujarat, could the farmer's crisis have been handled better? BJP could have easily retained its seats if it performed well in rural areas. Who dropped the ball on this one? How did they miss the signs?

Is this the reason Nitin Patel was not given the finance ministry? A state like Gujarat could have easily handled the extra burden of providing relief to the farmers.
How did Amit Shah miss the signs of rural revolt?

A bigger defeat would have crushed the congress and demoralized the cadre. On the other hand, hopefully BJP learnt some lessons for the all important 2019.
IMO you are drawing wrong inferences, rural distress is not limited to Gujarat, yet different state elections have produced different outcomes. This was a closer election that the outcome conveys. Though BJP lost 15 seats narrowly with a margin of less than 2000 votes, but it also won nearly equal number of seats by a margin of less than 2000 votes, some with only few 100 votes!

Modi won the election for BJP in last 10 days of Hindutva style campaigning and latching on to self goals by MSY and KS.

The rub here is though that Hindutva won him the election it also exposed the diminishing return part of it, and this happened in Gujarat, the most Hindutva state of India.

All in all interesting time ahead, state election results of 2018 will provide pointer to 2019, but one thing we can conclude, it is not going to be easy.
Last edited by Trilobite on Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crams
Forum Moderator

Post by crams » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:39 pm

Udit Raj was boasting that but for him, Maharashtra will be burning. Tells you that having been in power, Congoons can muster street power. The kind of vile propaganda and hatred that Dalit "intellectuals", Muslim "intellectuals", pseudo secular elite Hindus, their western masters etc can heap on Hindu upper castes with impunity and put BJP on the defensive makes me wonder if BJP's meek reaction is a Chanakyan strategy or pusillanimous caving in. (Why can't BJP for example, put out one of its top gun so called OBC. Heck ModiJi himself is an OBC). One of Pappu's slaves. Pawan Khera was hammering away that RSS is a Brahmin org out to destroy every other caste. Wow. Look at the gall.

But the silver lining I see, thx to BJP in power, is that these caste fault lines are out in the open and not bottled up through pseudo secular pluralism under Congoons. Its better people vent steam and hopefully, there will be an equilibrium reached somewhere.

Trilobite, if what you are saying is true about Gujarat, namely, that it was ++ Congoons all the way until last 10 days, then where from did BJP's optimistic 150+ projection come from? Was it just empty boasting and Amit Shah knew he was day dreaming? My understanding has been that BJP was realistically going to get 125 -135 up until Pappu and his slaves lined up Dalits and farmers and skillfully exploited the caste fault-lines. And rural distress made this possible.

theeran
BGR Newbie

Post by theeran » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:01 pm

MehtaRahulC wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:15 am
And its not one video - there are several such videos. Its is more that clear to me, that Rajini sir is under influence of Missionaries for reasons I will later speculate.
I registered just to counter this post. Mr. Rahul Mehta is disingenuous. One of the videos he posted was culled from a longer video of a felicitation for a writer. You can see that Rajini talks about spiritualism and what he has learnt from it. He cites the Mahabaratham a few times. Even the creationism he talks about is not in the context of christianity but just the existence of god.

Funny thing is the culled video is usually used by new converts for propoganda. No wonder our esteemed member has fallen for it.

crams
Forum Moderator

Post by crams » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:45 pm

Guys, I was just ruminating over the events past 2 days or so, and I just want to highlight some of the most extreme, vile, hateful rhetoric:

1. Jignesh b@stard's call for street riots (republic TV video). I am sorry he may be a Dalit, but the scum bag I am sure has a much better life than many so called upper castes. I have sympathy for poverty stricken Dalit brothers and sisters who have to suffer additional indignities because of their caste, but I have no sympathy for the likes of elite Dalits like Jignesh, Kancha Illiah etc who dance to somebody else's tune to break India.

2. Pappu clown's tweets calling RSS and BJP as fascists

3. Pakis in India like Umar Khalid taking advantage of Dalit anger to instigate riots

4. The pervasive Brahmin and upper caste hatred being spewed by Congoons and leftists and remote controlling Dalit unrest

Now imagine if the tables were turned. If BJP or anyone remotely connected with BJP, real or imaginary had even indulged in a fraction of the hate as I highlight in #1 - #4, can you imagine how BJP would have been pummeled and demonized both domestically and internationally? And people say so called 'lower casets' are supressed in India. Give me a f!king break. And what to speak of BJP response. Pathetic, to say the least.

JohnTitor
BGR Member

Post by JohnTitor » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:08 am

Once again BJP/fadnavis and modi (to an extent) have proven that they are incapable of holding onto power. they punch well below their weight because they don’t want to offend the sickular gang lest they be called unspeakable terms like “hindutva”

It’s silly how they think all his Vikas will change ground realities. Fact, Hindus aren’t willing to go beyond caste because there is no incentive to do so. As we get closer to 2019, this will only increase further and all the vikas modi has done will fade into the background

crams
Forum Moderator

Post by crams » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:28 am

John, completely agree with you. Look how Congoons managed to change the narrative in Gujarat and make a mockery of all the good work BJP did in Gujarat. It was only hard counterattack by ModiJi towards the end that saved BJP and helped it squeak through.

Hari Seldon
BGR Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:08 am

^ Easy on the dumping on Modi sarkar, saars.

It would be unfair to burden them with papal infallibility. Give them time to respond, in all fairness. P.S. admittedly, moi too had unloaded on them for inaction on Hndu identity goals, but in my defence, 'twas after 3+ years of waiting, observing, hoping, writing and sort-of-campaigning.

Here's some positive news to brighten up the mood on the political front and it's from (where else but) UP. Only.

Highlights borrowed from a tweet: https://twitter.com/DivyaSoti/status/948759770516799488
Divya Kumar Soti Verified account @DivyaSoti 30m30 minutes ago
CM @myogiadityanath delivers on @AmitShah's promise of stopping Hindu exodus from Kairana. Gangsters Naushad, Sarvar and Saabir eliminated. Notorious Furqan captured. Mukim Kala gang on run.

Yogi is the Modi we wish we had. Sure, having a brute 3/4th majority helps...

srikumar
BGR Member

Post by srikumar » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:26 am

The only plus I see of all this is they've played this caste card early in the game. Gives the other side a chance to plan for it before 2019. The next question is whether they have any other cards to play that have not been shown yet.

MehtaRahulC
BGR Member

Post by MehtaRahulC » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:29 am

Maharashtra riots - what started it

(1) in the night of 29-dec-2017, some unknown "activists" had rampaged and damaged the samadhi of local dalit icon Govind Gaekwaad. No one knows to which group these "activists" . It could be congress, could be rss, could be aap , could be me, could be you folks --- can be anyone. But due to corruption in policemen and judges, the trouble makers across India are becoming bolder and bolder
(2) on 1-jan-2018, dalits were celebrating event in Bhima Koregaon as they do every year. This time, crowd was much much bigger

(3) There, many "activists" with bhagava flat , allegedly belonging to outfits of two local RSS-leaders - Sambhaji Bhide and Milind Ekbote - entered the event ground and started shouting Bharat Mata ki Jai, VM etc . And policemen did NOTHING for several long minutes. Then verbal abuses, fist fights and stone throwing started. Only after that, policemen asked these "activists" to leave

(3) The activists left the ground, but stood near by outside and kept shouting BMkJ and VM etc for long time. Policemen did NOTHING to remove them

(4) And then actions escalated on both sides
Now Jignesh Mevani has worked as journalist, and is also LLB and has worked as assistant to lawyers for several years. So I decided to see his 25 minute speech TWICE to see what crime he committed or how he exploited loopholes in law. In the speech, he abuses many folks, like Modiji, BJP leader Sri Mohan Bhagwat, Mukesh Ambani etc but none have time to file a defamation case against him. He talks about "fight on streets" but labels it as "jan andolan" !!! So except defamation, no clause can apply !! All in all, he has mastered the art of Modiji. His speech will NOT be provocative, but give some hints. And later, a whole cadre of activists will take parts of speech to commons, add spice to it, and make it a gunpowder. So feel free to see his 25 minute speech. You wont find anything illegal except defamation.

Whats funny is that 25 minute speech of Jignesh Mevani has been blamed for provocation. But PHYSICAL disruption caused by "activists" with bhagava flags on event ground makes no mention in bikaumedia such as bikau republic channel etc.

============

AAP sold away 2 out of 3 RS seats. Well, that was expected. I have always called AAP as congress3 and rss2 (rss is congress2). OSF solution is to have direct election of RS seats by states' voters. Thats what USA does. Well, USA too had MLAs' electing Senators and corruption was norm. So activists in USA started agitation to remove procedure of indirect election of Senators with direct elections by voters. Sadly activists in India focus more on slogan shouting, character building, cap wearing, morning walks etc and not focus on law-drafts. So USA continues to better than India.

AAP needed to sell RS seats, because AAP needs money to fight loksabha-2019 elections against congress and rss. rss owns central govt and many state govt and so can generate hundred of crores of bribes to contest elections, and so can congress thru past savings and karnataka govt. But AAP has only 1/4 state govt. The biggest bribe generating state govt depts - police and land - are with center and NOT with ArKe. So AAP is cash starved and so ArKe decided to sell away 2 out of 3 RS seats.

The only good thing I see in Delhi RS election is that Kumar Bakwas got slaughtered. The guy is the best earning Hindi poet in India - may God give him more earnings. He is very intellgent. He had cracked IIT JEE but left IIT midway to become poet. He is very cunning. And he is excellent at misguiding activists and thats why ArKe took him. But now ArKe doesnt need him and so ArKe has kicked him out. Basically, one crook slaughtered another crook - why bother. Looks like, Kumar Bakwas may join rss now.
============

Rajini sir has been in media business for over 1000 years now. He knows that people will take parts of his video and use them. He knows what effect his sentences may cause on some minds. So whatever effects videos of Rajni sir may cause on commons are the effects that Rajni sir intends to create. So when he says that "Jesus is the highest guru", he knows that effect it can create on many commons' minds is - "convert thyself". And thats the effect imo he does create to intend. Pardon my tiny brain - but I see things as they are, and the way most common Indians may be seeing, and I an unable to see deep spiritual otherwise meanings that may be in speeches.

JohnTitor
BGR Member

Post by JohnTitor » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:44 am

Modi isn’t responsible for the mess in MH. Fadnavis is. Modi is only responsible for his part in the appointment of the crypto EJ.
Hari Seldon wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:08 am
Here's some positive news to brighten up the mood on the political front and it's from (where else but) UP. Only.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DSqr9z8UMAA1oz0.jpg
Pliss to translate for the illiterate
Yogi is the Modi we wish we had. Sure, having a brute 3/4th majority helps...
Agreed in principle, but I’m more cautious now than when modi was rising. Best to defer the judgment until Yogi becomes PM in 2024

krisna
BGR Newbie

Post by krisna » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:01 am

Wrt caste
Caste never a word in any Indian languages including Sanskrit fir centuries
It is a portuguese word. Caste common in europe for centuries. It is based on birth right. A noble remains noble, a poor remains poor irrespective of wealth in europe.

Europeans came to India. They being christians could not understand the myriad customs and beliefs of Indians.
Named them caste etc for jaati varna etc. Made mush mash of it.

To better understand Indians, british did census to capture this element. Created caste based census. They legalised "caste by birth right".
They simply divided Indians into 1000s of castes which morphed x3 times post Independence for political reasons.

First time in centuries of Indians, some outsider legalised as birthright.

Previously we only had profession based varna on the work one did. Jaati is conglomerate of similar profession based families.

The new govt under JLN took lock stock barrel everything from british including caste census.
Unfortunately JLN and his advisors probably did not know the story of Hinduism. Believed the European nonsense and foisted on India esp Hindus.

------------
During census collection data by british, even muslims and christians got included. Hence they got caste just like Hindus.

---------------
Indians who were taken as slaves by british to their far flung territories do not have this caste problem.
Hindus living in other parts of world in those times were untouched by caste as seen in India.

-----------

Lot of research has been done which says the above.

Simple internet search for british census and caste system is a starter.

krisna
BGR Newbie

Post by krisna » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:27 am

Nicholas Dirks mentions that british writings till late 18th century virtually made no mention of caste in India.
He has written a book called castes of mind. Available in Amazon

Colin mackenzie a British historian says that many Indian sources prior to 28th century had no mention of caste. Virtually caste system.

Cynthia Talbot professor of histiry and Asian studies mentions that in Andhra pradesh even varna was rarely mentioned in extensive Indian medieval records. In fact says probably even varna not significant in daily life of Indians.
Jaati rarely mentioned prior to 13th century.

Richard Eating prof of history says evidence is clear in kakathiya population 11-14 century records that shudra were part of nobility. It was earned not birthright. Many Indians in same family father sons uncles etc were of different professions hence varnas etc.

Susan Bayly writes that even in northern India people were unconcerned regarding caste issues. It became solidified in British times.

Peter Jackson prof of medical history and muslim India debunks the hypothesis that caste made Hindus turn to islam in medieval era.

krisna
BGR Newbie

Post by krisna » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:29 am

Nicholas Dirks mentions that british writings till late 18th century virtually made no mention of caste in India.
He has written a book called castes of mind. Available in Amazon

Colin mackenzie a British historian says that many Indian sources prior to 28th century had no mention of caste. Virtually caste system.

Cynthia Talbot professor of histiry and Asian studies mentions that in Andhra pradesh even varna was rarely mentioned in extensive Indian medieval records. In fact says probably even varna not significant in daily life of Indians.
Jaati rarely mentioned prior to 13th century.

Richard Eating prof of history says evidence is clear in kakathiya population 11-14 century records that shudra were part of nobility. It was earned not birthright. Many Indians in same family father sons uncles etc were of different professions hence varnas etc.

Susan Bayly writes that even in northern India people were unconcerned regarding caste issues. It became solidified in British times.

Peter Jackson prof of medical history and muslim India debunks the hypothesis that caste made Hindus turn to islam in medieval era.

Aditya_V
BGR Member

Post by Aditya_V » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:22 am

Lets be clear, what we have seen in Mumbai and Pune is the consequences of creative History of Left-INC combine and level of apparatus they have. It is important to make INC Left completely irrelevant for at least 10 years in politics before any progressive action in this country can take place.

Hari Seldon
BGR Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:10 am

Its not hard to see that Pappu's handlers are orchestrating a small-scale pilot first prior to nationwide deployment.

Started with the 'farmer protests' in Mandya, MP. But even before that with Jat agitations in HR, perhaps. Then Vemula, Una and now this. Every-phaking-where the media morons have faithfully broadcast BIF messages and narrative all around. Where INC was in power (KA), they tried using govt machinery to widen divisions (Lingayat & veerashaivas as separate 'religions').

With time, some of the momentum died down (Una, vemula etc) but the faultlines remain available for later, more calibrated activation.
Anshul Saxena Verified account @AskAnshul 1h1 hour ago
Dalits in Gujarat came out on streets to protest Violence that erupted in Maharashtra. Seems Congress plan disturbance in all India. Jignesh Mevani & Umar Khalid looking for Nationwide agitation to divide Hindus & Indian Society
https://twitter.com/AskAnshul/status/948824469245607936

Like somebody said on twitter, when Jihadidi can ban Amit Shah from entering WB ostensibly to maintain order, why doesn't DF kickout Umar Khalid for visibly disturbing the peace? Just asking.

Or maybe turtle speed is the default, rather than delibrate when it comes to BJP govts taking action?

Anyway, good thing is the BIF gameplan is partly exposed and Shah + Nagpur can no longer be blind to it.

Meanwhile, INC did an about turn in RS where UPA has the numbers to stall the TT bill. Such shamelessness in realpolitik can sometimes be admirable only. Sigh.
Last edited by Hari Seldon on Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hari Seldon
BGR Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:15 am

Chalo, some vikas-related good news as well..

Aadhaar uncovers around 130,000 ghost teachers in colleges (mint)

The sheer scale of loot in every single sector is mind-boggling. Can only hope the use of tech to stop such rampant abuse is irreversible (given INC shamelessness, can't be really sure unless 2019 is won decisively).

Also puts focus further on the decripit state of GoI's edu policy.

Freeing the Hindu community to start its own schools and colleges unburdened by RTE etc (just like the mainority ones) would go quite some way in rectifying part of this as well, IMHO. Heck, let our temples start and run schools free from state interference and then see the competition corrupt govt schools would have! Well if wishes were horses etc...

Hari Seldon
BGR Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:23 am

Narendra Modi government has refuses to send the controversial Bill outlawing instant triple talaq to a Select Committee (India Today)
The Bill outlawing instant triple talaq, or the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Marriage) Bill, 2017, has driven relations between the Narendra Modi government and the Opposition to a point of zero chances of reconciliation.

The government moved to introduce the Bill in the Rajya Sabha today. There were sharp exchanges between top leaders from both sides, and the Upper House of Parliament was adjourned till Thursday morning.

United behind the Congress, the Opposition sang in a loud chorus: Send the bill to a Select Committee (a parliamentary panel which looks specifically at a particular legislation).

The Opposition expected that the Modi government, which didn't have enough numbers to pass the Bill, would give in. But the NDA administration had different plans.

As nearly 50 Muslim women in the House's guest gallery watched on, the government rejected the Opposition's truce offer.
Modi sarkar suddenly chaging gears? Or is it merely the storm before the calm when some back-room compromise will be worked out? I'd bet on precisely that outcome given Jaitley is piloting the bill in RS.
Top government sources say there is no possibility of a change of stand on the issue. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will meet top ministers on Thursday morning to thrash out the next strategy before start of proceedings.

Top sources say the government, having realised the Congress' discomfort, isn't planning to relent - as each moment spent demanding that the Bill to be sent to a select panel will go down as opposition to a Bill whose mandate is welfare and justice for Muslim women victims of instant triple talaq.

A senior BJP leader's words reflected the party's aggressive intent. "It's not the end of the road. The Opposition may send the Bill to a panel but the government has other constitutional means. A joint session to pass the bill is something the government may explore if the Opposition doesn't back down," this leader said.
A joint session called specifically to pass the bill would be great for optics, besides. I recall the then NDA sarkar calling for a joint session to pass POTA.

Here's Kanchan da on Twitter:
Kanchan Gupta Verified account @KanchanGupta 4h4 hours ago
More Kanchan Gupta Retweeted India Today
Excellent. Stay the course PM @narendramodi , if Triple Talaq Bill falls in Rajya Sabha, so be it. Let mullah-appeasing Congress, Communists, ADMK, DMK, SP, BSP, BJD, RJD, TDP, TRS and their cronies stand exposed for denying Muslim women dignity and rights. Or call Joint Session.
https://twitter.com/KanchanGupta/status ... 1767912448

Hari Seldon
BGR Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:32 am

There it is - Mevani in trouble, asking Ghulam Nabi to bail him out. MH can charge him for sedition for the provocative speeches made.

suryag
BGR Newbie

Post by suryag » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:05 am

Hello BGRites,

RajaRam garu from BRF has requested promotion of "Swatantra TV" channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChP7mn ... g/featured