The Great Indian Political Drama - 1 (Oct 2017 - Mar 2018)

The Archive forum serves as a repository for topics that have been closed from the other forums. They serve as a database for future reference.
JohnTitor
BGR Member

Re: The Great Indian Political Drama - Oct 2017

Post by JohnTitor » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:29 pm

Indrad wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:04 pm
An outrage started by ToI that dalit beaten in rural Guj has crashed within 2 days after police completed investigation and trashed the report. Guy did it to get media attention.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/india-new ... 97vbK.html

In another news VAT slashed in Guj
The issue with these fake stories is the lies they spread. Any subsequent corrections are all useless because the damage is already done. From the article, it says that there was a social media campaign. Now how many of those people would find out that it was staged.

Toilet paper and other "reputable" media houses should be heavily fined for fake news.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:41 pm

jamwal wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:48 pm
Why more tax on almonds ?
Perhaps because almonds are imported?

Neela
BGR Newbie

Post by Neela » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:24 pm

Elphinstone tragedy - The Hindu's Vedikachoubey started a rumor that a dying woman was being molested. They released a 8 sec video when a longer 40 sec clearly showed passerby was merely helping.

The HIndu has now been issued a show-cause notice.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:24 pm

Mallayya in news again. Seems like he peddled a lot of favors to the ecosystem

Vrish
BGR Newbie

Post by Vrish » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:55 pm

Singha wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:21 pm
another tiresome aadhar ritual - the corrupt dont bother with much with these small schemes, but we will have to do the dog work as usual
https://www.ndtv.com/business/aadhaar-l ... e-business

neither they will a low to send it online or post
singhasaurus, tiresome yes, but in its own way a huge change to affect indian habits.

i wonder how many NPAs are due to small loans taken by people who have no intention of repaying them. every other person is taking a loan of 1-2L and then disappearing and appearing elsewhere and starting new account. this way, if the aadhar becomes our SSN this sort of societal fudging and too clever by half crookedness will stop.

Vrish
BGR Newbie

Post by Vrish » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:56 pm

Gus wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:32 pm
I don't think it will be anything disruptive while system is recovering/adjusting from the twin shocks of demo and GST.

tests? in a way that's disruptive as well..not sure it will be that.

some major welfare scheme looks a good bet.
i bet modi will keep powder dry till 2018. i still wonder why he relies on jaitley to the exclusion of all others. some loyalty metric that.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:09 pm

I don't subscribe to the jetli hate here. Modi seems to be the type who doesn't trust easy but once he trusts, he's all in.

Neela
BGR Newbie

Post by Neela » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:14 pm

Morgan Stanley report.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKkdtSBB2W8[/youtube]

100,000 Sensex in 5 years possible.

achoudhury
BGR Newbie

Post by achoudhury » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:17 am

Gujrat election has lot of things being tried from opposition side. If you remember, Mandal was the answer for Kamandal in 90's which sort of stunted BJP's growth in Hindi Belt. A redux is being experimented in Guj. A wedge is being created in three, somewhat dominant, communities by squaring up Patidars , OBC and Dalits against each other. It will be test of BJP's organization ability and political acumen to not let it happen and retain its hold over USHV. Gujrat gaurav yatra is not so subtle response from BJP to remind Gujrat that post 2002 is not guaranteed if hindu unity breaks. Another hawa being created is "Economy khatrein main hai". Since discredited lutyen's elite can not do it by themselves, they have found a suitable ally in disgruntled Margdarshak Mandal. Modi's robust defence of economy has more or less punctured this but it cacophony is not going to die. I dont think lutyens think that they can win Guj but if they can even show respectable showing, they will declare victory and build on that for 2019. The whole charade seems to dent Modi enough to hobble him.

brad goodman
BGR Newbie

Post by brad goodman » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:24 am

Guys Dhoklam will be heating up soon

India, US boost ties as China puts on boots near Doklam
Recommended By Colombia

The back-to-back visits of the Indian foreign secretary and the US envoy to Thimphu came at a time when reports indicated that PLA’s soldiers had made at least three incursions into the t ..

brad goodman
BGR Newbie

Post by brad goodman » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:31 am

After spending thousand of crores on BD border fencing it is totally useless

Rohingya influx: BSF identifies 140 vulnerable spots along India-Bangladesh border

brad goodman
BGR Newbie

Post by brad goodman » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:35 am

BBC is competing with the wire in terms of race to bottom
India Dalit man killed 'for watching Hindu celebration'
A Dalit (formerly untouchable) man was beaten to death in the western Indian state of Gujarat allegedly for watching people dance as they celebrated the Hindu festival of Dussehra.
Eight men have been arrested for attacking the 21-year-old on Sunday, police told BBC Gujarati.
Some Dalits were beaten up for sporting moustaches in the state last week.
Despite laws to protect them, discrimination remains a daily reality for India's 200 million Dalits.
The victim, identified as Jayesh Solanki was watching a performance of Garba, a traditional dance, with his cousins, when a man approached them, according to the police complaint lodged by Mr Solanki's cousin, Prakash.
"He told us how dare you come here," Mr Solanki alleged in the complaint. "We told him that we came to watch the Garba because our sisters and daughters were participating. But he started abusing us."
Pretty soon this will turn out to be false same as the moustache episode

brad goodman
BGR Newbie

Post by brad goodman » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:39 am

Jairam Ramesh upto what he is best which is breaking India in ABC

Adani Carmichael coal mine: Former Indian minister sounds alarm on Adani's track record, mega-mine's viability
India's former environment minister Jairam Ramesh is "absolutely appalled" by the Australian Government's approval of the Adani Group's massive coal mine in North Queensland, which he says will threaten the survival of the Great Barrier Reef, "a common heritage of mankind".
Key points:
Australian politicians argued India needs Adani coal to lift poor out of "energy poverty"
Indians "cannot afford" Adani coal, former Indian Ministry of Power head says
Adani Group says it is an "absolute and religiously law-abiding organisation"

Mr Ramesh, an elder statesman of India's opposition Congress Party, also said the Federal Government and Queensland Government have failed to do adequate due diligence on Adani Group's environmental and financial conduct in India before granting environmental approvals and mining licenses.

Vrish
BGR Newbie

Post by Vrish » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:46 am

Gus wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:09 pm
I don't subscribe to the jetli hate here. Modi seems to be the type who doesn't trust easy but once he trusts, he's all in.
i just dont think jetli has the chops to run the FM. so far his record there has been dull and uninspiring. IMO his mishandling has been a reason for a lot of the middle class angst against modi so far.

Vrish
BGR Newbie

Post by Vrish » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:52 am

brad goodman wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:35 am
BBC is competing with the wire in terms of race to bottom
India Dalit man killed 'for watching Hindu celebration'

Pretty soon this will turn out to be false same as the moustache episode
bbc local stringer is another yinduphobic leftist type..nothing new

MehtaRahulC
BGR Member

Post by MehtaRahulC » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:57 am

A general argument given by RSS-workers (RSS = BJP) is
(1) If nationalists / hindu votes divide then SoGa / ArKe will win (Hindu batega , hindu Ghatega)
(2) So nationalists MUST NOT vote for anyone except NaMo / RSS
The argument is right - if one assumed that NaMo, RSS-leaders, RSS-workers are TRUE nationalists and TRUE Hinduvaadies
But whole argument is FALSE - if NaMo , RSS-leaders and RSS-workers are PSUEDO-NATIONALISTS and / or PSUEDO-HINDUVAADIES
Because if NaMo etc are PSUEDO-NATIONALISTS and / or PSUEDO-HINDUVAADIES, then voting for them is SAME as voting for SOGa / ArKe and other anti-India forces
(I for one believe that NaMo , RSS-leaders and RSS-workers are PSUEDO-NATIONALISTS and / or PSUEDO-HINDUVAADIES. And I was banned on BRF precisly for believing and saying that. I dont know BRF2 policy about holding anti-NaMo views anti-RSS views).
So one needs to see laws that Modiji and RSS-leaders passed as CM / PM, and laws that Modiji did NOT pass as CM / PM
And one needs to TALK to RSS-workers and see their FD profiles to see which laws they support, demand and which laws they insisting on ignoring or which laws they oppose.
Only based on that, one should FIRST decide if NaMo, RSS-leaders, RSS-workers are TRUE nationalists and TRUE Hinduvaadies or psedoes.
Now RSS_leaders and RSS-workers have never lobbied for two child law !! Heck , they have even refused to give a SAMPLE proposed law-draft. And no law-draft to expel Bangladeshies. No law-draft to free Hindu temples from govt control. RSS election manifesto is always FULL of statements like "we will free temples from govt control" and all that. But they have never proposed / passed any law-draft to end govt control over temples. IOW, on each nationalist / Hinduvaadi issue, when it comes to printing necessary laws, Modiji, RSS-leaders and RSS-workers have pet argument "no new law is needed, no new law will not help , work within existing laws, existing laws are good" and so on
----
Also, if RSS-leaders and RSS-workers are so much worried about other nationalist political parties taking away votes, then they would have worked to bring INSTANT RUNOFF VOTING or PREFERENTIAL VOTING SYSTEM (in which case voter can vote for Real Nationalist party X and then as second preference vote for RSS, so if X looses, then his vote will be transferred to RSS = BJP and that wuill stop congress / aap from winning). But surprise, surprise !!! Modiji, RSS-leaders and RSS-workers have done ZERO work to even publicize preferential voting system or bring them even at local levels as trial !!
So , if Modiji, RSS_leaders and RSS_leaders are PSUEDO-NATIONALISTS and / or PSUEDO-HINDUVAADIES, then "dont vote for other nationalists, because that would divide nationalist vote and enable sonia to win" argument is ONLY to further damage real nationalist forces.. And following this argument will only damage India and help BIF.
So FIRST, pls decide if Modiji, RSS_leaders and RSS_leaders are PSUEDO-NATIONALISTS and / or PSUEDO-HINDUVAADIES , or they are REAL.
---
(a) RSS = BJP, just as Gangadhar = Shaktimaan
(b) on BRF, believing that Modiji, RSS-leaders, RSS-workers etc as PSUEDO-NATIONALISTS and / or PSUEDO-HINDUVAADIES was a sin , and people got banned for holding such beliefs. I dont know BRF2 policy on that.

Hari Seldon
BGR Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:01 am

Find a way to hobble if not shut down beeb from indian territory.

Their insidious anti-India and BIF campaign is toxic in the extreme. Even if their reach ain't v high, they serve as seed sources for fake news, malicious campaign, high goog page ranks on drain inspection reports on India etc.

Hope GoI will start with incrementally with a series of small show-cause notices (like to Chindu above) and snowball into a STFU order,legally baked and backed. Onlee.

Relatively, that other Brishit publication - the economist - comes across as hajaar balanced only.

Have only to see how much deference the same brish1t media walas show to PRC to see that these haughty busybodies are as vulnerable as anybody else to the danDa treatment. Only.

geeth
BGR Newbie

Post by geeth » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:48 am

Vrish wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:55 pm
Singha wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:21 pm
another tiresome aadhar ritual - the corrupt dont bother with much with these small schemes, but we will have to do the dog work as usual
https://www.ndtv.com/business/aadhaar-l ... e-business

neither they will a low to send it online or post
singhasaurus, tiresome yes, but in its own way a huge change to affect indian habits.

i wonder how many NPAs are due to small loans taken by people who have no intention of repaying them. every other person is taking a loan of 1-2L and then disappearing and appearing elsewhere and starting new account. this way, if the aadhar becomes our SSN this sort of societal fudging and too clever by half crookedness will stop.
I understand from not-so-reliable sources that once the people default, their adhar gets blocked and further movement in life becomes all that difficult. It needs to be verified how far it is true.

geeth
BGR Newbie

Post by geeth » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:11 am

MehtaRahulC wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:54 pm
GST flip flops
(1) RCM aka reverse charge mechanism suspended till some date --- so now many with GST numbers will apply for cancellation of GST number !!! Because if they have GST, then they have to pay GST and charge it to customers. But they can call themselves and registered, and use family members' names and eben employees' names , so that revenue per person is below Rs 20 lakhs !!! Their clients will find such "registered sellers'" goods and their services 20% cheaper !! So we will see a "GST number cancellation spree" now. And then all will run again for GST registration when RCM become re-effective
(2) Without eWay bill, GST will collapse. People will simply create END TO END "no bill no gst 20% cheaper" chains !!! eWay bills (and checkposts to check eway bills) were specifically created to stop such end to end top to bottom "no bill no gst 20% cheaper". So if eway bills are kept, then small / medium sellers collapse. And if eway bills are removed, then GST collapses !! The best part about eWay bill is --- they have to be filed over internet !! And at drop of hat, when there are riots or demonstrations, Govt suspends internet, sms and even landline internet (so far cell / landlines phones are not suspended). So I wonder how eway bills will be generated when Govt has shut down net !!!
(3) Quarterly return will enable "Missing Trader Fraudsters" i.e. "sellers , who collect GST from buyers and dont deposit with govt", to dupe more clients , as now they have 90 days to 120 days to 180 days window to cheat and buyers wont even know. And if returns are made monthly, then small / medium sellers collapse due to compliance burden.
So I request pro-GST folks to print the solutions to GST mess they propose. I wont and shud not bother myself with solving this mess. Because I have proposed that GST is beyond repair since year 2012 (yes, 2012 !!). And I had proposed that wealth tax on land is far far better i.e less bad way to collect taxes. But pro-GST were all ga ga over GST. (And all partyies such as congress / rss / aap have supported GST). So pls propose WRITTEN LAW DRAFTS now to deal with GST mess.
----
JohnTitor wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:04 pm
Lol jetli tweaked the rates a bit.. Now cashews at 5% and almonds at 12%.. if you sell a mix with both you tax at 12%... even if that mix contains 1 almond. Looks like they really haven't thought about the practicality of these things. Someone sitting in an office has decided these numbers.
But I'm glad they are listening. Looks like they will try to tax all restaurants at 12%. But only if the gst committee agrees.
Dear all,
It is time Modiji and ONLY Modiji is "praised" for all things we see "goods and simple tax". It is sad to see that people "praise" some clerk in Ministry or Dept and dont give "credit" to Modiji for GST's "monumental achievements".
So pls "praise" Modiji ONLY for all GST "achievements"
And yes, as such, SoGa / ArKe too can be praised, as both had supported GST. But final credit should go to Modiji, because finally, it was his decision to use GST and not wealth tax

(1)

What you said is wrong. If the trader dont register, he wont get input. His supplier also wont get input. His supplier's supplier also will not get input. The chain goes back. That is why is is called self policing. Whereever the chain gets interrupted, that is taken as the final consumption point. Further sales wont generate revenue for the govt. No sensible trader will indulge in that, because, in GST it is more profitable trade with bills (both purchase ans sale) than without it. Yes, there are trades who dont register, but charge GST from customers. For them , the arm of the law is long, and once caught, they are at the mercy of the taxman..naa.. Govt, taxmen cant do any help at that stage.

Take this eg., - Under GST, people can claim excise duty refund for purchases before 01 july 2017 also. Many have applied for excise duty input credit..not all them have got notice for scrutiny from central excise...these chaps now wish they hadn't applied for the input credit onleee!!! What to do.

To continue....

MehtaRahulC
BGR Member

Post by MehtaRahulC » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:55 am

geeth wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:11 am
If the trader dont register, he wont get input. His supplier also wont get input. His supplier's supplier also will not get input. The chain goes back. That is why is is called self policing. Whereever the chain gets interrupted, that is taken as the final consumption point. Further sales wont generate revenue for the govt. No sensible trader will indulge in that, because, in GST it is more profitable trade with bills (both purchase ans sale) than without it. Yes, there are trades who dont register, but charge GST from customers. For them , the arm of the law is long, and once caught, they are at the mercy of the taxman..naa.. Govt, taxmen cant do any help at that stage.
If it was self policing, then eWay concept would have never come
Lets say supply chain is A to B to C to D to E
Now E being user gets NO input credit - he is final buyer who pays GST of say 20%
So E will ask D "I dont want bill , give me goods at 20% less price". Now of course, some E may want bill while some wont. But many would prefer "no bill no GST". So now D will tell C "some 50% (or 100% or 25% as may be case) of my customers E dont want bill and dont want to pay GST. So give that % of goods without bill and without GST". And so C will start selling on "no bill no GST" basis. And so on
Finally, we have whole chain which is "no bill no GST"
---
Now say a professional has all white income as fees. He sees two ac resturants
Unregistered , price Rs 100
Registered with 20% GST , price = Rs 100 + Rs 20 = Rs 120
Now he CANNOT claim GST on resturant food as input credit !! (yes, pls ask any CA --- many GST paid is NOT claimable as input credit like GST paid on resturant food, GST paid on meals, GST paid taxi fares etc. ).
To force that professional to pick registered resturant, RCM i.e. revsere charge mechanism was introduced. in RCM, that professional will have to pay Rs 20 GST on food he bought from unregisreted resturant !! And he cannot claim that as credit in both cases. But his paperwok shot up if seller is unregistered.
Now RCM has been suspended
So professionals will start preferring "no GST" suppliers in cases where input credit cannot be claimed like resturant
Now many resurtant owners and food suppliers like meal suppliers applied for registration because their clients told them that "we dom want RCM paperwork headache and so pls get registration or we will change". And so meal suppliers etc got registered. They food consumers do NOT get input credit on GST paid food anyway. And now RCM has been suspended. So many food etc suppliers will run to deregister so that they dont have to pay 18% GST !!
IOW, we will soon see LAKHS and LAKHS of deregitsrations within weeks !!! And all these will run for registration when RCM etc starts in 1-apr-2018 !!!

===============
In large large number of cases, end users want "no bill no GST" type deals. And that forces all suppliers to operate "no bill no GST". eg in excise days, factory owner will send goods with bills to super=stores and same factory owner will sell goods without bill to small shopkeepers. On bill amount, he will pay excise. And rest, he wont.
To stop that, eWay bill concept was designed. So that when goods are transported, if eWay bill is not there with truck driver, then truck and goods can be confiscated !! This will force sellers to print eWay bil. And so seller will be forced to pay GST. Now eWay has been suspended. So many many sellers will take "no GST no eway bill , no bill" mode of selling on part of their goods.
----
SOLUTION? Solution I propose is to end GST. And instead have wealth tax

JohnTitor
BGR Member

Post by JohnTitor » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:23 am

RM, what is this wealth tax you keep speaking about? If I have 1 crore in my account I need to pay tax on it every year?

I agree there are issues with GST but I don't think the solution is to dump it. The system for the first time ensures compliance of a society that is used to not paying any tax.

Vrish
BGR Newbie

Post by Vrish » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:11 am

rahul mehta can you start a thread only for yourself called rm ki vishesh baatein. and spare this one? you are drowning us in the cacophony of your long, bhashangiri.

la.khan
BGR Newbie

Post by la.khan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:35 am

Vrish wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:11 am
rahul mehta can you start a thread only for yourself called rm ki vishesh baatein. and spare this one? you are drowning us in the cacophony of your long, bhashangiri.
:lol: :P

geeth
BGR Newbie

Post by geeth » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:33 am

MehtaRahulC wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:55 am
geeth wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:11 am
If the trader dont register, he wont get input. His supplier also wont get input. His supplier's supplier also will not get input. The chain goes back. That is why is is called self policing. Whereever the chain gets interrupted, that is taken as the final consumption point. Further sales wont generate revenue for the govt. No sensible trader will indulge in that, because, in GST it is more profitable trade with bills (both purchase ans sale) than without it. Yes, there are trades who dont register, but charge GST from customers. For them , the arm of the law is long, and once caught, they are at the mercy of the taxman..naa.. Govt, taxmen cant do any help at that stage.
If it was self policing, then eWay concept would have never come
Lets say supply chain is A to B to C to D to E
Now E being user gets NO input credit - he is final buyer who pays GST of say 20%
So E will ask D "I dont want bill , give me goods at 20% less price". Now of course, some E may want bill while some wont. But many would prefer "no bill no GST". So now D will tell C "some 50% (or 100% or 25% as may be case) of my customers E dont want bill and dont want to pay GST. So give that % of goods without bill and without GST". And so C will start selling on "no bill no GST" basis. And so on
Finally, we have whole chain which is "no bill no GST"
---
Now say a professional has all white income as fees. He sees two ac resturants
Unregistered , price Rs 100
Registered with 20% GST , price = Rs 100 + Rs 20 = Rs 120
Now he CANNOT claim GST on resturant food as input credit !! (yes, pls ask any CA --- many GST paid is NOT claimable as input credit like GST paid on resturant food, GST paid on meals, GST paid taxi fares etc. ).
To force that professional to pick registered resturant, RCM i.e. revsere charge mechanism was introduced. in RCM, that professional will have to pay Rs 20 GST on food he bought from unregisreted resturant !! And he cannot claim that as credit in both cases. But his paperwok shot up if seller is unregistered.
Now RCM has been suspended
So professionals will start preferring "no GST" suppliers in cases where input credit cannot be claimed like resturant
Now many resurtant owners and food suppliers like meal suppliers applied for registration because their clients told them that "we dom want RCM paperwork headache and so pls get registration or we will change". And so meal suppliers etc got registered. They food consumers do NOT get input credit on GST paid food anyway. And now RCM has been suspended. So many food etc suppliers will run to deregister so that they dont have to pay 18% GST !!
IOW, we will soon see LAKHS and LAKHS of deregitsrations within weeks !!! And all these will run for registration when RCM etc starts in 1-apr-2018 !!!

===============
In large large number of cases, end users want "no bill no GST" type deals. And that forces all suppliers to operate "no bill no GST". eg in excise days, factory owner will send goods with bills to super=stores and same factory owner will sell goods without bill to small shopkeepers. On bill amount, he will pay excise. And rest, he wont.
To stop that, eWay bill concept was designed. So that when goods are transported, if eWay bill is not there with truck driver, then truck and goods can be confiscated !! This will force sellers to print eWay bil. And so seller will be forced to pay GST. Now eWay has been suspended. So many many sellers will take "no GST no eway bill , no bill" mode of selling on part of their goods.
----
SOLUTION? Solution I propose is to end GST. And instead have wealth tax
You should have waited till I complete.

This talk of "I dont want bill..So I will pay 20%less" is not going to work. If 'A' has to sell without bill, he has to purchase without bill from 'B'. For that, 'B' has to purchase from 'C' and so on... At some point along the chain, someone is going to refuse and the chain will be broken. They will refuse because they can claim input for ALL (almost!) Taxes paid. Why should they suffer? Even if the buyer is willing to compensate, accounting and stock keeping is going to be difficult because the seller one step above may declare the sale/purchase. If the chain is broken, authorities will know..how? Because a registered trader is purchasing goods for sale and not for his consumption. He can't write it off also.

The e-way bill is to enable tracking of majority of the goods. I agree, people are innovative and they may find ways to avoid taxes. This is sort of a double check. The checking will be by specific squads and at random. So there is an element of surprise as well.

But I know you will again come back saying GST is bad. I have not written anything to change your view. Continue...afterall you have to contest an election as opposition candidate..so, do oppose. I wont respond anymore.

Yagnasri
BGR Newbie

Post by Yagnasri » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:30 am

http://www.opindia.com/2017/10/what-med ... nya-in-up/

Looks like YA is doing a good job at least in health care area.