The Great Indian Political Drama - 2 (Mar 2018 - Oct 2018)

The Archive forum serves as a repository for topics that have been closed from the other forums. They serve as a database for future reference.
Yagnasri
BGR Newbie

Re: The Great Indian Political Drama - 2 (Mar 2018 - )

Post by Yagnasri » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:00 am

https://www.firstpost.com/india/lawyer- ... 42081.html

True of false will be known in time. But just see the line of reporting.

SSundar
BGR Member

Post by SSundar » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:00 am

Chandragupta wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:32 am
2015 graduate? That means what, 25 years of age? Idiot. :facepalm:
Not idiot, smart. He will make a lot more money and firanggi friends by the time he turns 27. One more in a long line of sold out Indians.

Sachin
BGR Oldie

Post by Sachin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:12 am

srikumar wrote:Actually, I am interested in knowing the answer to gablu's question- why is there opposition to the death penalty law by some folks.
The commies et.all are opposing death penalty just for the sake of opposing. They did the same when Shri.Yakub Memon was also being taken to the gallows. But in the case of rape of minor children, this law may actually become counter productive. The victims are any ways not of the age to offer any resistance, plus they can now also be murdered. What may have been better would be to add extra provisions in the POSCO Act, and setting up fast track courts with every thing including appeals etc. to be completed in a time bound manner. Harsh sentences like long prison terms without parole etc. or new stuff like being declared as a sex-offender etc. would also be a detterent.
KL Dubey wrote:I have not seen the full cast of characters of this outfit yet, but here are my predictions. Bliss to gombare with the gualifigations that are revealed later.
Don't the IITs also have some kind of "humanities" courses as well? Most likely these folks would have done such courses. Any way, don't think this IIT-IIM label is going to make an impact after people have observed the drama of Kejriwal for all these many years.
madhub wrote:Siddaramaiah is not loosing to BJP. he is loosing to JDS guy G T Gowda. he is pretty strong and whom ever i speak says he will win.
To be quite frank, I would be even more happy if JDS gets a good number of seats this time. Siddu & the INC gang has to be kept outside the ministerships, but BJP also needs to have some strong folks to keep them in leash. Given a free hand to KA BJP, I feel would cause immense heart burn to the party at the national level. KA BJP leadership is equally corrupt. So perhaps a hung assembly with JD(S) and BJP having to join hands to keep away INC.

Sachin
BGR Oldie

Post by Sachin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:23 am

Mean while, ATMs running out of cash problems now seems to have a very good (and obvious) reason to it.
Police size Rs 2.42 cr unaccounted cash
The report reads:A senior police officer said the vehicle belonging to an ATM cash management firm was stopped by police personnel on election duty near the OMR. When asked, the staff informed that they were heading towards Chintamani to replenish cash to ATMs. However, they failed to submit documents and substantiate their claim. The vehicle and the cash were seized and a show cause notice has been issued to cash management firm.

My only grouse is that Na.Mo and Co had trusted the corrupt and sleazy bank officials during De.Mo times. And most likely this ATMs running out of cash situation is now going to happen in any state which would face elections soon. Instead of printing more notes, GoI may perhaps try to come up with schemes to remain more vigilant.

Chief Justice impeachment: Kapil Sibal says will not appear in court of CJI Dipak Misra from today
:lol:. And the biggest loser due to this is none other than P.Chidambaram, as Sibal was defending him the Supreme Court.

pankajs
BGR Newbie

Post by pankajs » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:36 am

This is the time for the CJI to start hearing the most contentious case on a day to day basis and put the *ethics* of these legal luminaries to the test.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 877707.cms
Venkaiah Naidu has rightly applied his mind: Soli Sorabjee on CJI impeachment notice decision
NEW DELHI: Eminent jurist and former attorney general of India Soli Sorabjee on Monday welcomed Rajya Sabha Chairman M Venkaiah Naidu's decision to reject the impeachment notice against CJI Dipak Misra, saying he has "rightly applied his mind".
Sorabjee said the vice president has found no merit in the notice given by opposition parties led by the Congress for impeachment and has consulted legal experts before arriving at the decision.

"The vice president has applied his mind. He has consulted legal experts and has come to a decision. We did not want the matter hanging indefinitely.

"He (Naidu) has gone into the matter and has found no merit in it and no ground for impeachment, therefore, he rejected it," Sorabjee told a TV channel.

When asked about the procedure ahead if the opposition moves the apex court to challenge Naidu's decision, Sorabjee said he did not see the petition succeeding.

"I don't see chances of the writ petition (challenging the VP's decision) succeeding," he said.
I hope the CON mafia does challenge the VP's decision in the Supreme Court and get the rightly deserved tongue lashing but my bet is on its backing away and go to the peoples court crying foul.

pankajs
BGR Newbie

Post by pankajs » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:24 am

https://www.firstpost.com/india/cji-dip ... 42075.html
13:39 (IST)
Vice-president only statutory authority to reject impeachment notice: Fali S Nariman
Eminent jurist Fali S Nariman Monday said the issues raised in the impeachment notice against CJI Dipak Misra were not of "sufficient gravity and rightly rejected" by Vice-President M Venkaiah Naidu. Nariman said Naidu, the chairman of the Rajya Sabha, was the only statutory authority to take the decision on the notice.

"When you have a man like the chief justice of the Supreme Court, it (impeachment notice) has to have something that is far more important than just saying he did not do this or that. The vice president has the statutory authority and he has rightly rejected the notice," Nariman told a TV channel. He said this move by the Opposition led by the Congress was only to demean the institution of the Supreme Court and it was not about Justice Misra. - PTI
I so want the CON mafia to challenge the VP order in the Supreme Court and get trashed but I am afraid they will back out. Fingers crossed.

pankajs
BGR Newbie

Post by pankajs » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:27 am

13:50 (IST)

Opposition can't succeed in Supreme Court against Naidu's decision on impeachment: Soli Sorabjee
Eminent jurist Soli Sorabjee on Monday said the Congress-led Opposition had no chance to succeed in the Supreme Court against Vice-President M Venkaiah Naidu's decision rejecting impeachment notice against Chief Justice of India Dipak Misra.

When asked about the procedure ahead if the Opposition moves the apex court to challenge the decision of Naidu, Rajya Sabha chairman, Sorabjee said "I don't see chances of the writ petition (challenging the Naidu's decision) succeeding," he said. - PTI
Peeleezee don't discourage the CON mafia.

pankajs
BGR Newbie

Post by pankajs » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:36 am

BTW, I hope the CON mafia realizes the following ...

1. While the threat hangs over the head it has some deterrence value on the intended subject. Once you use it you loose it and the subject is freed from any future threat. If he is vengeful and powerful and you are unable to take him down in the first strike you leave yourself completely at his mercy after having exhausted your only leverage.

2. The rest of the *neutral* judges will see the power-play and its failure and draw quick lessons. These are after-all smart folks for having reached thus far. If the CON mafia fails to take down the CJI, their threat will from now on carry no weight with others too. OTOH, GOI will get full marks for having nullified the threat in a day.

The CON mafia shouldn't have unsheathed the sword. It was much more potent that way. The justices will not be intimidate anymore by subtle and not so subtle threats of the CON mafia. From now on it is loose-loose wonlee for CON mafia.

pankajs
BGR Newbie

Post by pankajs » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:23 am

Looks like I am going to get my wish.

14:45 (IST)

Congress to move Supreme Court after Naidu rejects impeachment motion

The Congress party will move Supreme Court for a judicial review of the Rajya Sabha Chairman’s order rejecting the impeachment motion against CJI Dipak Misra. Meanwhile, the party questioned how could the vice president decide such a matter within hours.

"Within hours of 64 MP’s submitting the impeachment motion, Leader of Rajya Sabha (FM) had expressed naked prejudice by calling it a ‘revenge petition’ virtually dictating the verdict to Rajya Sabha Chairman on that day. Has ‘Revenge Petition’ now become ‘Rescue Order’?,” Randeep Surjewala said.

Sachin
BGR Oldie

Post by Sachin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:27 am

pankajs wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:23 am
Looks like I am going to get my wish.
But who is going to hear this petition? It cannot be the CJI himself. It may be the other four "press-conference" judges. Or can the CJI (as the master of the roster) decide who would hear the petition?

pankajs
BGR Newbie

Post by pankajs » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:36 am

Either the full court / constitutional bench including CJI + the 4 rebel

OR,

Full court / constitutional bench - CJI - 4 Rebel

The rebel cause is mentioned as part of the impeachment charge sheet. That make the 4 rebels as much an "interested party" as the CJI. Should be fine either ways.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:06 am

abhijit wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:46 am
chetak wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:12 pm
gablu wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:44 pm
What may be real reason why liberal gang is opposing death penalty for child rapists?

Is it just opposition for sake of opposition or trying to save their fellow brethren?
There is a practical reason here.

More raped children will be murdered by rapists to destroy evidence and eliminate witnesses if they know that they will be hanged for their crimes.

Just pointing out onlee.

Personally, I support the harshest of punishments for all rapists because it is a crime against humanity. A child being raped is heartbreaking and such a crime can be committed only by the depraved.
It is rock and hard place type situation. Argument is if we gonna kill rapists, they will kill victims. And without severe punishment they will rape.

There is no perfect solution for problems. All solutions work on probability. How can we decrease the probability of child rape? I don't think 100% child rapists want to kill victims or psychologically prepared to kill victims. Lust is one thing but killing human being is another level of cruelty. If this law deters say even 50% of rapists then the probability of child rape will come down drastically. This is exactly what law intends to achieve and not a 0 probability of crime.

Some may argue what if a rapists and killer who was earlier going to rape and leave the kid alive, now will definitely kill. Well, thats the bullet we have to bite. There is no perfect solution.
As long as it's not our kid, we will bite the bullet, no??

Hari Seldon
BGR Oldie

Post by Hari Seldon » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:06 am

Press Trust of India

Verified account

@PTI_News
Following Following @PTI_News
More
If I am allowed to speak for 15 minutes in Parliament, PM @narendramodi will run away: Rahul Gandhi

Aditya_V
BGR Member

Post by Aditya_V » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:09 am

This is getting more and more ridiculous, his MP's disrupts parliament and he claims this - wow

Sachin
BGR Oldie

Post by Sachin » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:10 am

pankajs wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:36 am
The rebel cause is mentioned as part of the impeachment charge sheet. That make the 4 rebels as much an "interested party" as the CJI. Should be fine either ways.
The "charge sheet" itself has lots of "may be", "could be" kind of statements is what I read from other news papers. So the heroes who submitted the "charge sheet" have no evidence on their charges. Even a police sub inspector filing a "charge sheet" at the magistrate court generally gets some evidence ready and record it in the Yadasth. But for Congress nothing like these stuff matter.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:19 am

pankajs wrote:
Either the full court / constitutional bench including CJI + the 4 rebel

OR,

Full court / constitutional bench - CJI - 4 Rebel

does the next CJI have to be "recommended" by the outgoing incumbent or does the next senior most automatically succeeding to the chair, and it happens by mere default??

Just shows you how politicised the entire rotten system is, much more than parliament even or more than the most rabid of casteist political parties.

And the very people who set up this system, chose the members and populated it very selectively over a period of over 70 years are now struggling to get it to behave as they need it to, even going up to the point of trying to impeach the sitting CJI.

It does not say too much about the institutions in our sorry "democracy", no??

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:28 am

Sachin wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:10 am
pankajs wrote:
The "charge sheet" itself has lots of "may be", "could be" kind of statements is what I read from other news papers. So the heroes who submitted the "charge sheet" have no evidence on their charges. Even a police sub inspector filing a "charge sheet" at the magistrate court generally gets some evidence ready and record it in the Yadasth. But for Congress nothing like these stuff matter.
IIRC, there is some SC judgment about how the VP/Speaker should satisfy themselves about the veracity of the charges made before sending it to the 3 member committee to investigate. If the VP/Speaker is not convinced, the case for impeachment is dead in the water, even before the involvement of the 3 member committee.

The case is being pushed by people like yechury, who have no influence or even status in the parliament, so who is the puppet master?? the chinese and/or the pakis??

Chandragupta
BGR Member

Post by Chandragupta » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:30 am

Is there any chance of the 4 scoundrels becoming CJI after the current one retires?

pankajs
BGR Newbie

Post by pankajs » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:35 am

Only one has the chance provided there is no upset like a death or a resignation but I guess it is still by recco of the collegium including the CJI.

Don't know if the CJI can overrule the collegium recco but it does not seem to be automatic though one can hardly expect an out of turn recco by a collegium. What games get played we will have to watch.

pankajs
BGR Newbie

Post by pankajs » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:44 am

16:00 (IST)

Will ensure CJI Dipak Misra has nothing to do with review petition against Venkaiah Naidu's order

Congress leader Kapil Sibal said that the Congress party will ensure that there is no involvement of Chief Justice of India in the hearing, or listing, of their review petition.
Looks like the ball will be set rolling soon. The highlighted portion sounds ominous. Perhaps the 4 rebel will make some kind of a synchronized move to further discredit the CJI.

CJI as the admin head will at the very least be involved is selection of the bench if not beyond.

Primus
Forum Moderator

Post by Primus » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:32 pm

Scathing attack by Patra on RaGa. Never seen such strong statements, right from the grandfather onwards. The war for the soul of the nation has begun, the first salvo has been fired.......

See the responses to the speech, will give you a good idea of the mood of the public.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:48 pm

pankajs wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:44 am
16:00 (IST)

Will ensure CJI Dipak Misra has nothing to do with review petition against Venkaiah Naidu's order

Congress leader Kapil Sibal said that the Congress party will ensure that there is no involvement of Chief Justice of India in the hearing, or listing, of their review petition.
Looks like the ball will be set rolling soon. The highlighted portion sounds ominous. Perhaps the 4 rebel will make some kind of a synchronized move to further discredit the CJI.

CJI as the admin head will at the very least be involved is selection of the bench if not beyond.
What if he convenes the whole court and recuses himself but attends as an observer only??

CJI in court but without a vote or voice, that way no one can act as the "CJI" in his place and all judges are then equal??

SSundar
BGR Member

Post by SSundar » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:58 pm

Utterly pukeworthy article in my Google feed. USA Today article on Indian Dalits' plight where they are being killed for aspiring to ride a horse during their own wedding ceremonies. Apparently, the April 2nd protests we're for restoring their rights for basic needs like these. :roll:

BIF have zeroed in on Dalits' for 2019.

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:11 pm

that is why Modi ji is see putting chppals in feet of a dalit woman in bastar and many other programme initiated/ aimed at them...he knows very well, its not Muslims but dalit who hold the key to 2019.

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:43 pm

Center turns down recommendation of collegium in first of its kind https://theprint.in/governance/modi-gov ... ssion=true
New Delhi: For possibly the first time since the collegium system was introduced, the Centre has unilaterally amended the recommendation of the judicial appointments body to apply its own writ, considered a violation of settled law and procedure.

Last month, the Supreme Court collegium had recommended that Punjab and Haryana High Court additional judge Ramendra Jain be made a permanent judge, but the Centre has only given him a six-month extension.

Jain was appointed as additional judge on 20 April 2015 for a two-year term and given a year’s extension last year.

The latest decision may further open the Modi government to allegations of overreach in matters of judicial appointments.

According to settled law as well as the Memorandum of Procedure (MoP), the set of rules that guides appointments to the higher judiciary, judges of the Supreme Court and the high courts are appointed by the President on the recommendation of the Supreme Court collegium.

“This is unconstitutional and highly arbitrary since the government has, in this case, virtually assumed the role of the collegium,” said a former Chief Justice of India about the Justice Jain episode.

“How could the government issue such an order when the Supreme Court collegium said he should be made a permanent judge? I don’t think the collegium met again, before the appointment was notified by the President, to amend its recommendation,” he added. “This is a very worrying sign and the Chief Justice of India and senior Supreme Court judges who constitute the collegium should have taken strong exception to such a blatantly unconstitutional diversion by the government.”

A senior SC judge expressed surprise over the move, saying, “How can the government on its own decide such a matter? As per settled law, the recommendation of the Supreme Court collegium, if it has been reiterated, is binding on the government.”

“I don’t think there is any confusion that unless the Supreme Court collegium amends its recommendation, the Centre has no choice but to go by it. I hope the chief justice will do something to check this arbitrary action, possibly take it up on the judicial side suo motu,” the judge added.

A former secretary in the department of justice was also unequivocal. “I don’t understand how the collegium accepted this and allowed this to happen. This is patently unconstitutional,” the former secretary said.

“There must be some push-back from the Supreme Court because, in my view, this is just the beginning. The government is testing waters and unless the Supreme Court collegium puts its foot down, you can expect more of such things to happen,” the former bureaucrat added.

To emphasise the lack of precedent for the move, a former CJI recalled how, when a Constitution bench of the Supreme Court was hearing the National Judicial Appointments Commission (NJAC) case, the tenure of several additional judges was about to end. “The government requested the bench to pass some interim order so as to allow these judges to continue, and the bench did so. The government didn’t go and extend their tenure on its own – it required an order on the judicial side to do so,” he added, “What has happened now is very surprising and unconstitutional, in my view.”