Moderator Nominations

The Archive forum serves as a repository for topics that have been closed from the other forums. They serve as a database for future reference.
Gus
Forum Moderator

Re: Moderator Nominations

Post by Gus » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:22 am

More than general mods with shared responsibility, individual potentially contentious threads needs dedicated mods as well. You like L&M - YOU moderate it. (looking at you nayakuddin :) )

vinu
BGR Newbie

Post by vinu » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:25 am

Aman wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:20 am
My humble suggestion....our "Bheesm Pitamah" of BRF, Ramanna Sir, should also be made a senior admin. of this forum.
I heartfully second that.

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:38 am

vinu wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:25 am
Aman wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:20 am
My humble suggestion....our "Bheesm Pitamah" of BRF, Ramanna Sir, should also be made a senior admin. of this forum.
I heartfully second that.
+108

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:38 am

I have suggestion but would like to mail or DM is it possible?

Vnms
BGR Newbie

Post by Vnms » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:56 am

I have offered to moderate. But before we nominate and assign roles, please create a simple list of things folks are NOT supposed to do.

In the political thread, I listed a few rules. That could be a start.

AbhishekC
BGR Newbie

Post by AbhishekC » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:26 pm

Not making personal attacks would be the top of the list. If this alone can be maintained, the forum would be fine.

AdityaM
BGR Newbie

Post by AdityaM » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:32 pm

I refuse to participate in any forum that makes me it's moderator

KJo
Forum Moderator

Post by KJo » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:50 pm

I volunteer to do administration and also moderation.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:18 pm

Vnms wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:56 am
I have offered to moderate. But before we nominate and assign roles, please create a simple list of things folks are NOT supposed to do.

In the political thread, I listed a few rules. That could be a start.
We can look to borrow some concepts from elsewhere. This place has a lot of good definitions.

https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopi ... 6&t=260044

more on the 'extreme' side is quora's BNBR policy -which can become very contentious here

https://www.quora.com/What-is-Quoras-Be ... ful-policy

Primus
Forum Moderator

Post by Primus » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:41 pm

I humbly submit my offer of help in any capacity other than moderation, there are too many folks here with much better credentials. The forum I moderated was a closed one of my college where I knew every member, it was a nightmare trying to avoid offending friends and colleagues and yet keeping them in line. I am also the founder/moderator of my class FB and Yahoo groups, but those are nothing compared to what I hope BGR will become.

A moderator needs to be firm and yet fair, without any personal bias. Also needs to understand the forces at play within and outside the forum that influence or may be influenced by the content here. This requires a special set of skills. Linguistic excellence is not enough though very useful.

Ramana garu I believe is the most balanced of all and my vote goes to him for overall leadership - in whatever capacity he is able to.

Suraj Bhai is another very valuable person, his calm demeanor during the Demo crisis when there was so much dhoti-shivering and mudslinging going on was a sure sign of a very mature person and a logical thinker. I love his reasoned approach to most topics.

I also recommend Gus, I find his posts to be well balanced and thoughtful. Also not prone to picking up flame-bait.

I do hope Shiv joins up, his wisdom and experience is invaluable although I suspect he will not take up any 'officlal' position.

There are so many good people and no dearth of talent either, it is only a matter of 'resource allocation'.

MehtaRahulC
BGR Member

Post by MehtaRahulC » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:06 pm

A question to would-be forum-rakshaks aka admins aka mods
Is it "legal" to put links to ECO / POL articles posted on facebook and ECO / POL videos made on youtube by forum members?
On BRF, it was NOT legal. I got warned for posting link to my own eco / pol FB status.
The reason I put links is to avoid repetitions. Many times, I make long FAQ type status posts on eco / pol topics and post links along with para#
But BRF admin called it as blog pimping !!! It was quite sad because I have 4500 followers on FB (and 1000 friends) , and many pof my YT vidoes have crosses over 1 lakh views and I really didnt need BRF to increase the view count . But after the warning, I stopped posting links to my FB posts.
----
So is putting links to one's own FB status legal or illegal? Or yet undecided?

MehtaRahulC
BGR Member

Post by MehtaRahulC » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:07 pm

Any thread to put moderation POLICY related questions like above question?

Raja
Forum Moderator

Post by Raja » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:14 am

Singha wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:02 am
I will recuse myself from mod nominee for now due to changes at work. Will be in better posture to help out next year. Hope to be a active member for now
recuse??? That's a Tejpal tainted word onlee! :shock: If I am forced into bandobast duty by the DMA president, so shall you be! :evil:

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:28 am

Welcome Netaji!!!

Javee
BGR Newbie

Post by Javee » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:45 am

Welcome dill billi..

shiv
BGR Newbie

Post by shiv » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:55 am

As many of you will know I was BRF adminullah almost from the start for maybe a decade. I was a jihadi admin and developed some views about moderation which I will post here. Note that I do not want to be a moderator of any forum again.

I think BRF GDF was a problem from the start because BRF registration rules were stringent but once in there was no holding anyone back because GDF was private. It was almost like "Wear your burqa in the mil/strat/eco forums, but on GDF strip off show your boobs and underwear with crotch window."

According to me it was the part privacy-part public business that was a problem

My views:
  • Please decide whether this forum will be completely public for all to see or completely private.
  • Heavy Moderation is definitely needed to keep focused discussions focused
  • People who get warned/locked out are going to hate it but admins will have to be ruthless
  • If there is no moderation there will be a free for all. That is OK but then, in my opinion - the people should simply be allowed to fight it out in public, hate each other. But that often derails threads and eventually puts a very heavy load on admins - such as happened with the Out of India thread on BRF
  • One option is to have an "open forum" of low moderation and focused threads with heavy moderation. BRF had open forums with moderate moderation and closed forum with no moderation.
Just my initial thoughts
PS- I was one of the pre-internet "beings" in India and I eventually ended up being part of a list where the basic rule was "Assume goodwill" from any member who posts. But them membership was restricted and despite that the "assume goodwill" part collapsed. With Facebook, Twitter and Whatsapp allowing anything and everything there is no reason to have a forum that tries to do that IMO

Aman
BGR Newbie

Post by Aman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:19 am

Here's my two pence once again....

A new forum also means a new set of Mods. The very fact that Bharat Ganrajya was formed was coz some threads on BRF were locked and some members chose to leave to form a new forum. Getting all old the Mods. from the BRF would mean 1. the same style of functioning (as in BRF) and 2. anytime in the future even some threads in this forum may get locked.... We should preferably have a new set of Mod. here (with a fresh way of thinking as to how to interact with the members). Having the same set of Mods. (as in BRF) would just mean this new forum becomes a clone of the BRF (hence will face the same issues, as in the BRF sooner or later).

Aman
BGR Newbie

Post by Aman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:22 am

self-deleted.
Last edited by Aman on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aman
BGR Newbie

Post by Aman » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:29 am

Dileep,

Let as many people register right now, as possible, without a very tough screening process. The reason I see this is coz once the initial euphoria dies down (people registering and posting a few times initially), very few members take the initiative of posting regularly in the forum in the long run. So numbers are also important to keep a forum going (otherwise after a few days, most forums wear a deserted look).

Also, a good idea to have 1-2 Mods. who are not perceived to be close to the founding members of a forum/group.

Dileep
Site Admin

Post by Dileep » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:03 am

1. Linking to own blog/FB/other content is not allowed if the said content is propagating a view point or gain more eyeballs. Rahul Mehta being a known entity, NO. You can't link your content here.

2. RB, Rahul and Singha are literally 'ordered' to help out for the first couple of months. I believe it will do good for the forum. BGR is indeed a spinoff family branch of BRF, so some form of continuity is desirable. This thread was opened while I believed that they may not join.

3. I want to focus on resolving the technical issues and bring the forum to smooth operation. We will worry about mods after that.

brad goodman
BGR Newbie

Post by brad goodman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:56 pm

I vote for the forum to be private. We need to have good screening process for new members but once in there should not be any taboo's on discussions. Free speech can only generate great ideas. Definitely no personal attacks on any members but attack the views with facts and logic and keep emotions home. Some people get emotions when public figures are discussed and that to me is just immature behavior. I know some one on a WhatsApp group who is fine when RaGa is trolled but any Joke on NaMo and he starts fuming. We don't need that immaturity how much ever we like someone or some idea. Only no is vulgar / crass language and digressing from discussion where Mods need to step in
Last edited by brad goodman on Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:58 pm

Forum should be open and source of information and views for everyone. What is point of a closed forum . Just have a private email group then.

brad goodman
BGR Newbie

Post by brad goodman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:01 pm

jamwal wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:58 pm
Forum should be open and source of information and views for everyone. What is point of a closed forum . Just have a private email group then.
To the Point that Shiv made earlier of BRF which was part open and part private. Once you are open you have to throw talibanic restrictions on FOE. How will be make sure we don't end up becoming another GDF on which the plug was pulled

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:28 pm

Making it private will not "protect" it either. Moderate it better without restricting freedom of speech.

Open part of brf did not have such controversial topics either.

shiv
BGR Newbie

Post by shiv » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:00 pm

IMO if this forum is closed it will die. It must be open. Mods will have a tough time initially but it will develop a character of its own. That is vital. It must attract new people and not the dregs from BRF. There need not be competition with BRF and people can be sent to BRF for mil discussions. But a military discussion here would depend w=on whether people want it or not.

One thing to remember is that no matter how much anyone howls and thrashes about regarding freedom of expression - ultimately only Facebook and Twitter (and Whatsapp) are relatively unmoderated. All forums such as this will inevitable HAVE TO force ALL members to conform by some rules that are arrived at by mod consensus.

On BRF people may have found me attacking mods on and off and that was when I felt that mods were not doing what they had to do and kicking the butt of certain people. Unfortunately that is the difficult bit and one must go by gut feeling. I personally found the new mod rules in BRF too "pseudodemocratic" where incorrigible trolls were given a warning and another chance and another chance after 1, 3 etc month bans. Strict moderation is not great for popularity, but those who want popularity should keep off moderation. Mods were "being nice" when they should have taken the route taken by Rakesh (and later by me) - in a ruthless "Veer Madrasi Adi Kollu" attitude. (Veer=hero, Madrasi , Adi=hit, Kollu=kill)

Just my view.