Cricket

The Archive forum serves as a repository for topics that have been closed from the other forums. They serve as a database for future reference.
Tanaji
BGR Newbie

Re: Cricket

Post by Tanaji » Sun May 27, 2018 9:47 pm

Aaaaaaand CSK wins predictably. Watson was on a roll today and SRH lollipops when bowling after 8th over did not help....

RajaRaja
BGR Member

Post by RajaRaja » Mon May 28, 2018 11:43 pm

Tanaji wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:47 pm
Aaaaaaand CSK wins predictably. Watson was on a roll today and SRH lollipops when bowling after 8th over did not help....
Credit goes to M S DHONI for his leadership.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Tue May 29, 2018 12:59 pm

Tanaji wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:47 pm
not that predictable..

their record prior to this is 2 wins and 4 losses in finals.

and couple of them were quite one-sided..so it was not a given. but this time the entire team did show a MS like better understanding of who to play out and waited for the easy overs, instead of panicking and throwing wickets.

his words of "if it's hard to bat for you, it's very likely the guy after you is also going to find it hard"...is so true. batters throwing their wickets away need to keep that in mind.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Wed May 30, 2018 1:40 pm

twitter
Not many of us know, motto of IPL is in Sanskrit; same is inscribed on IPL trophy as well. #IPL 🏆
It is "Yatra Pratibha Avsara Prapnotihi", means "Where talent meets opportunity". Hindi - जहां प्रतिभा अवसर प्राप्त करती है ।

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:15 pm

bd lose to afg ..all three.

fantastic cricket from afghans. watch the highlights folks, you will enjoy it.

the last match was thrilling with last ball win. it was odd to see the bd fellow doing nagin dance in first innings...after getting thrashed in first two matches. and they proceed to lose third one and the afghans do it right back IN YOUR FACE style. :rotfl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0qZDZAq36U

Tanaji
BGR Newbie

Post by Tanaji » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:01 pm

^^^This was glorious... I never did understand why Bangladeshis are so cocky. Their whole attitude is about how their team is being discriminated against by BCCI and if it wasn't for BCCI they would have won the WC instead of losing to India. Their defeating India in WC during Chappell days is their crowning glory moment.

V J
BGR Newbie

Post by V J » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:43 pm

Hindustan's biggest-ever win in Test cricket: http://www.hotstar.com/sports/cricket/s ... 2001614884

Dismissed the entire Afghani team twice today. Good this was only a one-off test.

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:55 am

Tanaji wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:01 pm
^^^This was glorious... I never did understand why Bangladeshis are so cocky. Their whole attitude is about how their team is being discriminated against by BCCI and if it wasn't for BCCI they would have won the WC instead of losing to India. Their defeating India in WC during Chappell days is their crowning glory moment.
Its the classic small neighbor syndrome, blame the mother country for everything wrong that happens and everything right that doesn't. Now how many times have we seen that before

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:10 pm

good bowling and batting from India.

kuldeep was unreadable from hand and pitch by english middle order..only butler had certainty in his batting.

kl carries on his form from ipl..

good that we are playing shorter form before the tests. gets us acclimatized for the tests.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:34 pm

it was funny to hear the english commentator keep saying 'england is ahead' when kohli fell and equation was 44 in 24, and then 29 in 18.

with a set batsman, and proper batters still to come - 40 in 3 overs is a par score these days.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:38 pm

India should not play Kuldeep Yadav in this series anymore. He should be kept as a surprise for the world cup, especially against England.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:13 am

Rohit Sharma's last 7 t20 international scores.

89, 56, 97, 0, 32, 5, 100.

Yet people call for his head every time he fails a few matches.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:58 pm

i will keep calling for his head until he wins a knockout match for us.

i can't remember any important knockout/final match he won for us.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:03 pm

Gus wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:58 pm
i will keep calling for his head until he wins a knockout match for us.

i can't remember any important knockout/final match he won for us.
World Cup, India vs Bangladesh.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/8039 ... p-2014-15/

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:30 pm

you found a QF of a 50 over match against BD.

it's ko, but barely so...

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:08 pm

Well the goal post keeps getting pushed from one knock follwed by 5 failures, to knock out, to knock out against a better team.
Bangladesh defeated England in that world cup.

How many finals India played? There's only one major tournament every two years or so. India doesn't even get into the final in all of those.

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:08 pm

MS has become a dead weight while batting, completely and utterly useless, he is in his own world even when chasing high scores. Only in the team because of past glory. He must be removed immediately and youngsters must be given a chance.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:41 pm

hanumadu wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:08 pm
Well the goal post keeps getting pushed from one knock follwed by 5 failures, to knock out, to knock out against a better team.
Bangladesh defeated England in that world cup.

How many finals India played? There's only one major tournament every two years or so. India doesn't even get into the final in all of those.
meh..if your high water mark is a QF against BD while batting first..

i'll let that speak for itself.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:11 pm

We lost to the same BD team in a one day series after the world cup. We lost to them and did not reach the knock outs in an earlier world cup. We nearly lost a t20 to them but saved only by a lucky stumping by Dhoni, we nearly lost a t20 recently and saved only by a blitzkrieg by Dinesh Karthik. BD hasn't been a pushover for a long time.

What is your watermark? How many in the current Indian team reached your watermark?

Coming up with some arbitrary criteria shows you have nothing against Rohit Sharma.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:47 pm

Karthik wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:08 pm
MS has become a dead weight while batting, completely and utterly useless, he is in his own world even when chasing high scores. Only in the team because of past glory. He must be removed immediately and youngsters must be given a chance.
After his IPL performances and in a recent t20 against England, I had hopes he regained at least some of his previous prowess. I am still hopeful.

RajaRaja
BGR Member

Post by RajaRaja » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:39 am

Karthik wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:08 pm
That is bit uncharitable given that his recent ODI's and T20 performance has been very good. On top of that he had a great IPL season with a whopping average of 75+ @150+ SR and won the IPL for CSK.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:09 pm

hanumadu wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:11 pm
We lost to the same BD team in a one day series after the world cup. We lost to them and did not reach the knock outs in an earlier world cup. We nearly lost a t20 to them but saved only by a lucky stumping by Dhoni, we nearly lost a t20 recently and saved only by a blitzkrieg by Dinesh Karthik. BD hasn't been a pushover for a long time.

What is your watermark? How many in the current Indian team reached your watermark?

Coming up with some arbitrary criteria shows you have nothing against Rohit Sharma.
what is win loss against BD in ODIs?

you are citing t20s. they are not the same. a weaker team can have better chances in t20 than odi. and odi compared to test.

irrelevant to ask about others. as i said, if all you can cite is a QF against BD while batting first ...I'll leave it at that. that makes my point more than anything i can say.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:47 pm

Gus wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:09 pm
hanumadu wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:11 pm

what is win loss against BD in ODIs?

you are citing t20s. they are not the same. a weaker team can have better chances in t20 than odi. and odi compared to test.

irrelevant to ask about others. as i said, if all you can cite is a QF against BD while batting first ...I'll leave it at that. that makes my point more than anything i can say.
Win-Loss from the beginning? Obviously it will be skewed in our favour as any new entrant to international cricket will be weak for the first several years. But we lost 3 out of the last 9 completed ODI matches against BD. We lost 2 out of the last 5 matches.

So t20Is do not count because Bangladesh is weaker even if it beats us or nearly beats us. So you have already concluded that BD Is a weak team irrespective of results.

As comparing with others, selection is based on relative performances only. If (according to some) a sub par Rohit is still in the team, its because others are even below par.

What is your criteria for a good team and a good knock out match?
Does t20 world cup count?
Does a tri series count?
You tell me your criteria and I will see if I can find a knock that matches your exalted standards.

First you said the QF is a one day match and the scores I listed are for t2oIs. Then you said I am citing t20Is, upsets are common are t20s. Isn't it all the more reason consistency and a match winnning knock in a t20i is more important?

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:13 pm

He is ok/above par in t20.

I don’t remember him winning important odi matches while chasing.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:29 pm

This innings is a god sent for Dhoni. He has a perfect excuse for dibble dabble, make an half century and say he is still the best.
I haven't seen a single Indian batsmen come down the pitch for the spinners and hit them out of the ground to upset their line and length.