Cricket

The Archive forum serves as a repository for topics that have been closed from the other forums. They serve as a database for future reference.
Trilobite
BGR Member

Re: Cricket

Post by Trilobite » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:30 am

Pollution level in Delhi is genuinely high though, to give you an idea look at this. The Indian women in the pic. is covering her nose for a reason.

Sri Lankan are islanders and don't get pollution laden air trapped over their cities. Being an island the wind just blows over it. Lankans are not used to this level of pollution.

This picture really looks bad and is bad publicity:

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:54 am

Still playing for land marks, that too a 50. Could have declared 7 8 overs back.

Peregrine
BGR Newbie

Cricket

Post by Peregrine » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:20 pm

Sicanta
BGR Newbie

Post by Sicanta » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:38 pm

cricinfo - Nine cricketers of Sri Lanka's ODI squad were asked to disembark a flight to India on Monday after the country's sports minister, Dayasiri Jayasekera, stepped in and reprimanded the players and the board for failing to get his approval on the squad. Sri Lanka's three-match ODI series in India begins from December 10.

The unprecedented action was justified citing the country's sports law - which states that all Sri Lankan national squads are subject to the sports minister's approval - and highlighted the extent to which governmental oversight exists in the running of the sport in the country.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:59 am

Trilobite wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:30 am
Pollution level in Delhi is genuinely high though, to give you an idea look at this. The Indian women in the pic. is covering her nose for a reason.

Sri Lankan are islanders and don't get pollution laden air trapped over their cities. Being an island the wind just blows over it. Lankans are not used to this level of pollution.

This picture really looks bad and is bad publicity:
twitter
The last time Srilankans saw such poor air quality, Hanuman was in Lanka.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:55 am

The sense of entitlement is really wonderous.

Mani fears for India-Pakistan cricket ties
Mani fears for India-Pakistan cricket ties
KARACHI, DECEMBER 07, 2017

Mani also felt that N Srinivasan had a significant role to play in India not resuming bilateral cricket ties with Pakistan.

Former ICC president Ehsan Mani feels PCB’s decision to file a compensation claim against the BCCI will lead to bad blood and impact future cricket relations between the two nations.

The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) has filed a compensation claim of $ 70 million against Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) before the ICC for not honouring a bilateral cricket series agreement.

“I have concerns about the consequences of this case whatever its outcome. What I am concerned about is the affect it is going to have on cricket relations between the two countries in the long run,” Mani said on Geo Super channel.

“I just think all avenues of talks, discussions and back door diplomacy were not explored by the PCB before going ahead with its compensation claim in the ICC.

“I would have waited and first exhausted all options of trying to get something out of India for them not playing bilateral ties with Pakistan before opting for the compensation claim option,” he added.

Mani, who served as ICC president between 2003-2006, said even if Pakistan won its compensation claim what guarantee is there India would agree to pay out the amount.

“Say if Pakistan is successful in its compensation claim what happens if India holds back the money. Then Pakistan has to go to the ICC board and it will not help relations between both countries,” he said.

Mani said even though there was a clause that said the Disputes Resolution Committee’s decision was binding on both parties and could not be challenged in any other forum, but when it came to money things often get ugly.

“If India holds back on payment what does Pakistan do, does it ask the ICC to deduct India’s share of revenues from ICC events? Can the ICC do that?”

Mani said Pakistan would have filed the compensation claim after going through all legal aspects and there is a clause in the ICC constitution which said no government interference is tolerated in any member board’s affairs.

“India says it is not getting government clearance to play Pakistan and that clause will than become important in this case. But overall I think there will be bad blood and feelings and it will impact future cricket relations between the two,” he said.

Mani also felt that former BCCI president and ICC Chairman N Srinivasan had a significant role to play in India not resuming bilateral cricket ties with Pakistan.

“He was not good news when he was there at helm of affairs. He was anti-Pakistan and in his tenure all chances of India taking initiative to get government clearance to play regular bilateral cricket with Pakistan were non-existent.”

Mani said that India had become a difficult member to deal with in the ICC due to its stubbornness but felt that this was also because they were weak officials in the world body.

“India does contribute significantly to the ICC revenues but I don’t buy this 70 percent talk. The bottom line is ICC failed itself by not exploring the markets of USA and China.

“Even today there just has to be the right moves made to make India realize that it can’t operate independently in world cricket.”

V J
BGR Newbie

Post by V J » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:33 am

15/5
29/7
:facepalm:
Dhoni steadying the ship

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:30 pm

How come the pitch is good only for Dhoni and SL? None others can play seam and swing? The team is screwed if none has calibre.

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 am

After IPL happened when was the last time you saw Indian batsmen survive (forget Winning) against moderate swing/pace bowling or pitches?

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:07 pm

its not like we had good odi bats before who can counter swing. we depended on sachin to score and dravid to hold.

our batsmen have improved a lot in handling pace and bounce, but swing is something else.

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:14 am

Straight pace bowlers can be hit out of the park by batsmen of any era - eg Shaun tait. Am talking about genuine quality pace bowling even with a bit of swing and seam. After Sachin Dravid Lakshman era its a complete zero from the Indian team so far. If Mohd Amir darts the ball around a bit even Kohli would dance. The sad part if that if the ball moves at medium pace or above the current indian team falls like a pack of cards even to bowlers like Lakmal or Mustafizur who get fame only after bowling to Indian batsmen :-)

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:34 am

Actually, no country has batsmen who can play swing bowling, with the exception of perhaps England. Look at how Australia has been shot out for low scores (including a 60 allout) even in test matches in recent years. They lost the ashes in England with some pretty poor scores. They won where the pitch was less helpful to the bowlers.

Also look at how all the teams have been struggling to find good openers. Cook had so many diff partners in recent years. Now he himself is doubtful. Same with australia. SA has been struggling for a long time with their batting order, especially openers. So is New Zealand. It's not just the openers, even the middle orders have been very brittle for all of these teams.

Suraj
BGR Member

Post by Suraj » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:31 am

One of those days when Rohit Sharma once again leaves you shaking your head in wonder. Just by himself he accounts for 3 of the 6 scores in ODIs above 200, including the record for the highest ever ODI inning.

Javee
BGR Newbie

Post by Javee » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:42 am

When he plays, it's a treat to watch - 13X4 and 12X6, he manufactured shots randomly as the play went, Lankan bowlers didnt know what hit them. I think Dhawan and Shreyas played their able part.

Marten
BGR Member

Post by Marten » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:46 am

This looks like a great lineup when Kohli is back. Karthik sadly will be out, as will Rahane. Happy to see Shreyas bear true to his promise (if anything, he looked so comfortable that it appeared he got casual with his approach after the initial nervousness.)

NoHit? HitMan... This was a revelation. Similar to when MI won under Rohit who did very well that series. Hitman bangs SL while VK <censored> AS.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:32 pm

that's the problem with rohit. its either below 30s or YUGE hundreds.

V J
BGR Newbie

Post by V J » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:54 pm

Marten wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:46 am
Karthik sadly will be out
why sadly? I don't really get why we're taking him. Should've given younger talent a chance instead of DK.
Gus wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:32 pm
Totally!

nachiket
BGR Newbie

Post by nachiket » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:02 am

Vyoman @saikanomie wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:30 pm
How come the pitch is good only for Dhoni and SL? None others can play seam and swing? The team is screwed if none has calibre.
I shudder to think of what will happen in SA.

Rohit Sharma has once again made everyone's jaw drop with an innings no one else is capable of. Now he will go into hibernation again since his place is secure.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:27 pm

I think we'll be fine in SA. In the past we got bundled out there due to pace and bounce. We've gotten better at that and the last test series there, Our batsmen did well for most of the two tests except the second innings in 2nd test that we lost. We lost it as our bowlers let SA score 500 in first innings. Vijay, Pujara and Kohli all scored a lot.

I am counting on the bowlers to come good this time.

nachiket
BGR Newbie

Post by nachiket » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:11 pm

Gus wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:27 pm
I think we'll be fine in SA. In the past we got bundled out there due to pace and bounce. We've gotten better at that and the last test series there, Our batsmen did well for most of the two tests except the second innings in 2nd test that we lost. We lost it as our bowlers let SA score 500 in first innings. Vijay, Pujara and Kohli all scored a lot.

Would have been better without this brain-dead scheduling. This whole Sri Lanka series was unnecessary. Our boys could have gone to SA earlier and played a few practice games instead. I am frankly tired of seeing India playing Sri Lanka all the time.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:00 pm

what to do..we have to fill our domestic calendar as well. with pak out of picture for bilateral, we have only sa, eng, aus for revenue generating series and we cannot keep them too close or else that will also be a fatigue.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:41 pm

anybody catching the slump of Cook?

a few years ago, the "wisdom" was that Cook will overtake SRT based on his then average.

then he lost captaincy and if he doesnt score, might be out of team as well.

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:05 am

nachiket wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:11 pm
Gus wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Would have been better without this brain-dead scheduling. This whole Sri Lanka series was unnecessary. Our boys could have gone to SA earlier and played a few practice games instead. I am frankly tired of seeing India playing Sri Lanka all the time.
;) not if you see the hitman get doubles. Its a special treat to watch someone bat like that, also does a lot to India's cricketing image and sending shivers down opposition spines

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:09 am

Gus wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:32 pm
Rohit is like a hyper sports car. You get what you pay for. The exhilaration, the drive and performance but not the mileage. Its not for getting a person from A to B but to get in on a weekend to beat the hell out of the tarmac. Players like him make cricket interesting, no doubt

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:15 am

Gus wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:41 pm
anybody catching the slump of Cook?

a few years ago, the "wisdom" was that Cook will overtake SRT based on his then average.

then he lost captaincy and if he doesnt score, might be out of team as well.
I am. And I was one of those who believed he has a real chance of overhauling SRT's aggregate. At a certain point, Cook had more runs than Tendulkar at the same age (I think by the 30th or 31st birthday). And England plays a lot more tests than India does and Cook being a opener gets to bat twice in almost every test. Cook scores a thousand runs a year even in a average. If he keeps playing for another 4 or 5 years - which means he is scoring runs - he might still overtake SRT.