Cricket

The Archive forum serves as a repository for topics that have been closed from the other forums. They serve as a database for future reference.
chetak
Forum Moderator

Re: Cricket

Post by chetak » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:40 am

twitter
@Under19WorldCup our Young #BoysInBlue waved the #BharatArmy”flag dedicating their win to Indian Army ! Awesome gesture! #WorldCupunder19 #deshKeYuvak kaise hon? Aise bano,Bhai,aise bano! “

Peregrine
BGR Newbie

Cricket

Post by Peregrine » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:16 am

Peregrine
BGR Newbie

Cricket

Post by Peregrine » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:39 pm

South Africa vs India, 2nd ODI - Series: India tour of South Africa, 2017-18 Venue: SuperSport Park, Centurion

RSA 118 (32.2 Ovs)
IND 119/1 (20.3 Ovs)
India won by 9 wkts

Cheers Image

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:21 pm

What promised to be a clash of titans has been deemed a total drab by the mighty MIB squad (men in blue). What a great feeling it is to see your country have opponents for break fast (The match was literally over before lunch) Jai Ho :D

Shakuni
BGR Newbie

Post by Shakuni » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:50 am

I woke up at 3AM EST to watch the match, and then since SA was batting thought I'd get back to sleep and wake up around 8:30 AM for the Indian innings. What a surprise to see the match over by then!

Peregrine
BGR Newbie

Cricket

Post by Peregrine » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:41 pm

As captain, Virat Kohli is still not at his best: Former SA coach Jennings

CENTURION: Former South Africa coach Ray Jennings feels that India captain Virat Kohli can be "intimidating in the dressing room" and it would be great if he gets a good guide, who can maximise his potential as a leader.

Jennings has witnessed Kohli progress from his days as an U-19 cricketer as he was associated as a coach with Royal Challengers Bangalore.

"As captain, I think, he is still not at his best. The Indian cricket system has to feed off Virat Kohli. Going from MS Dhoni to Kohli has been a drastic change. Dhoni is so calm and Kohli is the complete opposite. He can be intimidating the dressing room and sometimes his teammates can wonder who Kohli really is," Jennings told PTI during an interaction.

Kohli can instill "fear" in youngsters, is Jennings' observation and that's why a calm mentor is need of the hour.

"There can be a fear factor in the dressing room and you don't want that with so many youngsters coming into the side.
Indian cricket, thus, has to find people who can help and influence Kohli into ways of improving and becoming an even better leader," Jennings said.

But Jennings insisted that Kohli will get better with age.

"With age, Kohli will get better and calm down a lot naturally. He will not be so aggressive and in your face all the time. But in certain situations, when things are not so calm or even just to take that fear factor away from the dressing room, who will teach Kohli to become a better version of himself?

"He is smart enough and passionate enough to want to change. He wants to be the best, and he does have skills to be the best player in the world, yet he needs some assistance," he added.

Kohli scored his 33rd ODI hundred in the first match at Durban and followed it up with 46 not out in the second match at Centurion.

He has scored 3 hundreds in his last 5 ODIs as well as finished the top run-getter in the three-Test series against South Africa.

"At this age, he already has 33 ODI hundreds and he is in touching distance of the best-ever seen in ODI cricket (Sachin Tendulkar). He has another 10 years left in him, atleast, so there's no reason why in 3-4 years he cannot get better and better.

"I think 32 is the best age for any batsman and he is yet to get there, so you can add a few more hundreds to that 33 mark," said Jennings, who has seen Kohli from the opposition coach during the 2008 U-19 World Cup.

"I was the coach of South Africa Under-19s when he led India to the Under-19 World Cup win (2008). From that time itself, I thought he was someone who stood out in his age group in terms of batting."

"In all my experience, he is the best player against spin that I have ever seen. Is he better than Sir Don Bradman? I don't know, but he is definitely amongst the top-two batsmen in the world at the moment," declared the veteran coach.

"People talk about his overseas record, but in the Test series, he outscored Hashim Amla, AB de Villiers and Faf Du Plessis in their home conditions," he added.

Talking about the current ODI series, Jennings said that South Africa do not have a way back into the series.

He also believed that the Proteas' team management has got its strategy wrong, both in terms of team selection as well as picking Aiden Markram as captain.

"Kohli is so aggressive that he will not let the 2-0 advantage slip away. South Africa are missing AB and Faf, and their middle order is so inexperienced. Maybe one game will get washed away, though I am not sure. Maybe South Africa will win one game. But to my mind, the series is already lost," said Jennings.

Cheers Image

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:07 pm

^ kohli looks aggressive, but also looks like some one who will stand up for his team mates and stand behind them at all times.

saip
BGR Newbie

Post by saip » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:25 am

India-W 213/7, SA-W 125.
IND Women won by 88 runs

Trilobite
BGR Member

Post by Trilobite » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:50 am

More misery for SA, now de Cock out of ODI and T20.

Vikas
BGR Member

Post by Vikas » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:38 am

^Are these people saving themselves for IPL hence injury claims ?

Shakuni
BGR Newbie

Post by Shakuni » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:47 am

There seems to be a concerted effort to portray Kohli as an inferior captain.

Suraj
BGR Member

Post by Suraj » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:26 pm

Inferior captain ? There's been a consistent characterization of Kohli as 'bad mannered' in general. Particularly ironic when the Brits or Aussies say it. 'He doesn't behave genteel like Sachin or Dravid' they say. They don't like Indians acting like Kohli does, and there's a segment of the Indian population that readily backs them and acts outraged at Kohli's 'misbehavior'.

The guy's 29, has 54 international centuries including 33 ODI tons, the best chaser in world cricket, averages above 52 in every form of the international game, and is across all formats the best player in the world, unlike Steve Smith who's just a great test player. People bleating about his behavior don't have a toe to stand upon.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:31 pm

That guy Ray Jennings saw Kohli as captain for one IPL, for a period of 1.5 months in his first year as captain for RCB. With what authority is he speaking on Kohli's dressing room behaviour?

Shakuni
BGR Newbie

Post by Shakuni » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:19 pm

Suraj wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:26 pm
Inferior captain ? There's been a consistent characterization of Kohli as 'bad mannered' in general. Particularly ironic when the Brits or Aussies say it. 'He doesn't behave genteel like Sachin or Dravid' they say. They don't like Indians acting like Kohli does, and there's a segment of the Indian population that readily backs them and acts outraged at Kohli's 'misbehavior'.

The guy's 29, has 54 international centuries including 33 ODI tons, the best chaser in world cricket, averages above 52 in every form of the international game, and is across all formats the best player in the world, unlike Steve Smith who's just a great test player. People bleating about his behavior don't have a toe to stand upon.
Only SDREs that are the subservient kind are good. The rest need to fall in line and get on with the program.
I find it especially annoying when Indians repeat that nonsense. This is why I love Srini Mama. He might have been corrupt, but when he was around, he knew how to make the gora sahebs come with a begging bowl in hand.

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:13 pm

Suraj wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:26 pm

The best part is that Kohli baba gives a rodent's bottom about people's opinions especially goras :D

saip
BGR Newbie

Post by saip » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:29 am

Who is Ramachandra Guha (another Kohli basher)? What is his background in cricket? Is he the same guy who got tarred by SS?

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:58 am

Injured SA team should be minced! I want someone to hit 6 sixes off rabada

Suraj
BGR Member

Post by Suraj » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:09 pm

Nice 124 run win there. Up 3-0 with three comprehensive wins on top of the Wanderers test win.

I wish we'd gotten to SA a week or two sooner to acclimatize, or the test series could also have gone our way.

160* from Kohli for big white bwana Jennings baba to pisko dissect further and provide greater nandi droppings of whizz-dumb for us unwashed natives.

saip
BGR Newbie

Post by saip » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:15 pm

India - W (302/3) beat SA - W (124) too
Congrats to both the teams

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:43 pm

Rohit, Hardik and Jadav can be rotated now.

We have Shreyas, Jadeja, Manish, Shardul in the reserves. It is time Kohli takes some tuff action which he is known for to be a brute.

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:23 pm

I hope Rohit is dropped from overseas tours. If we have different players for different formats why not for different conditions, makes sense onlee

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:13 am

Rohit has been very consistent overseas in one days since the tri nation series down under in 2014. Failure in three matches is too less to drop him.

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:12 am

imagine Kohli in the next game going low scores.. our team will not cross 150-175. It is better to strengthen batting by dropping Jadav and roping in Shreyas. Pandya may be rested if Axar can be better on the averages. I'd choose Jadeja over Axar.

V J
BGR Newbie

Post by V J » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:35 pm

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:27 am

No poiint in pesrsiting with nohit