Cricket

The Archive forum serves as a repository for topics that have been closed from the other forums. They serve as a database for future reference.
Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Re: Cricket

Post by Vyoman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:33 am

Catch them young. It is hard to replace Dhoni, so better train Rishab Pant.

Now, make all pitches in India fast, seamy and bouncy

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:37 am

Pujara again run out. can you believe it.

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:09 am

Pathetic playing, no intensity, no desire to fight and win.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:40 pm

Well, we managed to take all 40 wickets credit for which must go to Kohli for the transformation he brought.
Its the batting that conked blame for which also must go to Kohli to some extent. He is trying to transform an odi batsman (Rohit, Dhawan) into a test batsman and a test batsman (Pujara) into an ODI batsman. To Kohli's credit, Pujara is already a much improved player striking much faster than before and rotating strike better than before. He is slow now only on tough pitches and when India loses quick wickets. He may have plateaued in his abilities and Kohli refuses to recognize that.

We have better batsmen than Rohit and Dhawan waiting on the bench.

KJo
Forum Moderator

Post by KJo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:36 pm

These losses should drill some humility in our "boys". :-D
They were getting too cocky with all these easy wins on flat local pitches. A bit of reality is always good.

Why is Rohit Sharma in the Test team? Is it because he is best buds with Kohli? Why was Rahane dropped?

Rishabh Pant should be inducted into the team. He is 20 but can even go as a passenger for one tour and play some smaller matches and then make him play in the next series. I think we sorely lack Test batsmen - we just have Pujara and Kohli who are consistent.

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:17 pm

Lets not forget this was no where a typical South African pitch on which the likes of Sachin and Dravid batted against Donald and Pollock. This was a flat track may be slightly faster than the Indian pitches so more than technique and practice it was a case of grit and application. This is the most worrying factor. So Kohli's 153 still does not put him into the great test batsmen league nor should Hitman's 47 by no means be counted as an overseas place saving knock for him, he ought to be replaced if need be. Thats why the ICC rankings are dubious. If you need to be ranked in the top 3 you need to win consistently both home and away. Rankings are just a maya for the players which hits them hard when they stand on a challenging wicket. There was a reason Lloyds windies and waugh's kangaroos were called the invincibles. They decimated oppositions as top test teams, here we are seeing the opposite :|

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:42 am

These are all products of flat pitch IPL bullies who are trying to show off in test matches. It is all about survival for Kohli now.. let him not think scoring a century in the first innings makes him safe. I say, drop him once, and check it out.

Let Kumble or Sewag or Rahul Dravid take over from that irritant Shastri. I repeat again, it is cheaper to rework on all our pitches to be speedier, bouncy, seamy and dangerous. Let them go full gear!

crams
Forum Moderator

Post by crams » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:34 pm

I see a lot of typical SDRE trait of excessive self flagellation. Its gets my goat when people poo poo India's wins at home. Remember, this same Duplex team was hammered 4-0 (or 3-0) when they came to India. I didn't see this kind of self flagellation among SAricans. Matter of fact, coupled with argumentative SDREs, the SAfrican were in fact critical of the wickets in India, as though when they win on their tailor made wickets to suit their strengths, the bouncy green top wickets are the Gold standard.

That said, there is no doubt that unless a team wins in all conditions, it cannot be considered a great team. Thats why all the hoopla when Indian team hammered the hapless SLankans, labeling Kohli & Co as the 'greatest Indian team' and crap like that was just that, hype. Everything is a learning experience, and these losses will make Kohli & co do some introspection. Certainly Indian cricket will do good with a little less hype and glamour.

In retrospect, everybody piling on Shastri and Kohli for team selection is not justified. A Dhawan here or a Rahane there would not have made a whiff of difference. Our batsman simply did not have the technique to bat in these conditions.

And I don't buy this BS that Indian batsman got out to rash strokes. That takes away credit from the SA bowlers. Guys like Pujara, Vijay etc were bogged down by the SA bowlers and at some point they were bound to get out playing shots or taking risks. Ditto Pandya.

Kohli as I said has this glaring weakness with balls leaving him. I would place him at best on par with "God" who piled up a lot of useless runs, but Kohli is still no all time great. In contemporary cricket, I would place Steve Smith ahead of him, although I will go to sleep at times watching SS, but Kohli is a treat to watch in full flow. But lets see what he does in Eng and Aus.

As for our bowlers, they come out ahead when compared with our batsman, but even they gave away too many runs at crucial moments. Both in the first innings of first test, India let SA get away after 220/7, and in the second innings of 2nd test, Duplex & Co managed to add 70 odd runs despite being 7 down. But then again, looking at the scale of the defeats, not sure these additional runs were all that important.

Vikas
BGR Member

Post by Vikas » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:16 pm

You win some, you lose some and Life goes on...Lets arrange one more series with SL to feel good :)
So India lost in another away test series, "Yawn"

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:57 am

crams wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:34 pm
And I don't buy this BS that Indian batsman got out to rash strokes. ....
Kohli as I said has this glaring weakness with balls leaving him. ...
..t.
Kohli was out in the second innings with a ball that was an in-cutter [plum!]. committed to playing forward even before the ball was delivered. the same weakness is seen in many batsmen, and among them are highest in Indic team relatively speaking with SA.

You can be right on getting used to the pitches., and for the very same reason we must have 50% of our pitches like in SA.

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:16 pm

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... -test-team

Safe pair of wicketkeeping hands missing from India's Test team

crams
Forum Moderator

Post by crams » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:35 pm

Actually, if you notice Steve Smith's technique, he moves across as bowler is about to deliver. (I used to do something similar when I was playing cricket during college days and got scolded many-a-times by my coach). Which means if he is struck on the pad, it leaves very little doubt on LBW, either he is plumb or its obvious of the ball would not hit stumps. Even Kevin Peterson had a similar technique. And does anybody know SS's weakness against moving deliveries? Is he a sitting duck like Kohli and the "God" before him? Other greats are also sitting ducks as far as I can tell. Alistair Cook for sure, I've seen him caught behind with ball leaving him short of good length and teasing him to play. Ditto Hashim Amla. Not sure about that class NZ batsman Kane Williamson. AB Devilliers looks rock solid and full of class presenting the straight bat. Of course, I'd like to see how he does against the likes Mitchell Starck on bouncy tracks like Melbourne, Perth, Cape Town etc. And I don't give a s!it wither way for terrorists, great or not, from TSP.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:00 pm

Steve Smith didn't do well on wickets that offered movement in England. Steve Smith's technique works because pitches and balls are being prepared without any movement. That being said, he must have extraordinary eye sight and hand eye coordination to be able to put bat to ball with his technique.

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:00 am

It is all about seeing the ball to the last fraction of second, especially chasing it outside the off/leg and swinging/cutting. And if you are committed to playing forward, you are screwed if you don't have this capability.

Peregrine
BGR Newbie

Cricket

Post by Peregrine » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:32 pm

Cheers Image

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:31 pm

^^ Thats why initial foot movement (just enough) is important rather than committing fully forward or back. I started my cricket in school back in des on Indian wickets. Post uni and even at professional club level there were hardly any bowlers taller than 6 feet with high swift actions which naturally leads to most batsmen to become committed front footers. One can only imagine the likes of kohli and sharma being born and brought up on this kind of bowling will find it difficult to cope with any changes to their core technique. Adaptability has never been a feature of indian cricket. Playing swing is difficult even for current English batsmen, cannot imagine a young indian team countering this. Not possible realistically, at least anytime soon

Peregrine
BGR Newbie

Cricket

Post by Peregrine » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:19 am

PAKISTAN VS NEW ZEALAND FIRST ODI SCORECARD

New Zealand beat Pakistan by 7 wickets

PAKISTAN 105/10 (19.4 OVERS) - Only Two Terroristanis Scored in Double Figures - Remaining 10 Terroristanis i.e. including Mr. Extras Scored in Single Figures

NEW ZEALAND : NEW ZEALAND 106/3 (15.5 OVERS)

Cheers Image

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:40 pm

What was the point in retaining bumrah or ishant or shammi and rest Bhuvi after branded a big L on Kohli's forehead?

This guy is whimsical at best. If things go well anyone can be a gooid captain. And what did Rahane or Rahul bring in?

We totally lack batsmen prepared for SA. No home is like SA pitches. None bothers after a loss too. Cricket was the only sport we played now... and history soon is the feeling.

These guys don't learn. Somethings are drastically wrong with the team since Kumble exit.

Peregrine
BGR Newbie

Cricket

Post by Peregrine » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:45 pm

Once fearless and bold, Pakistan has now become the lost child of the cricket world

Batting collapse, batting collapse, batting collapse, batting collapse, batting collapse, and batting collapse – no, this isn’t my failed attempt at rapping, but rather, an apt summary of Pakistan’s performance against New Zealand thus far.

Pakistan have indeed upset many fans as the series progressed, but their unwillingness to learn from their mistakes makes it easy to summarise their performance in one breath. We all saw what happened; therefore, dissecting their batting troubles is like beating a dead horse at this stage – it won’t help.

If Pakistan’s performance in ODIs was a video tape being played at normal speed, then the first T20 was the video played in fast forward. Nothing changed, except that the Pakistani team found even faster ways to throw wickets and end the misery of the fans sooner rather than later.

I am equally hurt by Pakistan’s losses and am not taking this as an opportunity to apply salt to our wounds. However, I am not here to provide a list of the usual excuses either – different conditions, bouncy pitch, weird weather, new country, long flights, and so on. New Zealand has thus far dominated us fair and square. Our batting has been horrendous and our bowling has been average in both formats. It is as simple as that.

Now, we may choose to learn from our mistakes to avoid such losses in the future, or continue to paint the wrong picture to deceive ourselves. The problem lies in the approach we now take towards the game, which at the moment is unclear and ineffective.

Pakistan was once known for its bold moves. We unleashed Shahid Afridi at a time when T20s didn’t even exist; it made little sense but we did it anyways. Wasim Akram was given the new ball at an adolescent age, and we watched him create magic with it. Waqar Younis and Shoaib Akhtar were ordered to go for the kill, while Javed Miandad was trained to be a fighter each time he went out to bat.

We were different back then. We were fearless back then.

Fast-forward to 2018, and now Pakistan has become the lost child of the cricket world. We are timid, we are shy and we are afraid to try something new. We have been slapped with humiliating defeats in Australia and New Zealand within the past 12 months, but instead of learning and growing better, we have grown immune to the pain and offered excuses to get away.

Pakistan, what has happened to you?

We want to play aggressive like we once used to, but then we burden our batting line-ups with inning builders and low strike rates. We desperately look up at Fakhar Zaman to provide our batting some impetus, but we are too afraid to induct more Zamans in the line-up.

Sarfraz Ahmed is our latest star, with the Champions Trophy title under his belt. However, why he is hiding so low in the batting order is anyone’s guess. He has the ability, skill and talent to open for Pakistan and lead from the front, yet he chooses to sit back and watch his team lose in the same fashion, day in and day out.

Even when Ahmed showed a moment of bravery by trying Faheem Ashraf as an opener in the fourth ODI against New Zealand, he was quick to doubt himself and sent Ashraf back down the order after one failure. Imagine if Imran Khan had lost trust in Akram’s ability and had done the same after one poor spell!

The Champions Trophy was a fairy tale, something conjured right out of Disney world. It was spectacular and will always be cherished by the nation. However, it doesn’t hide the flaws that we have been developing over the years, including a defensive mindset and a lack of ability to make bold decisions.

Ahmed cannot change the fate of the team by yelling excessively behind the stumps. He can only change the fate of the team by learning from their earlier mistakes and making the hard, yet necessary decisions. He can even use England as a case study. England completely transformed their team when Eoin Morgan took over, because they realised their old approach was outdated and a new approach was a must if they were to progress as a team.

If I could suggest anything to Ahmed, I would advise him to have a clear vision and make the tough call to drop players that start a dot ball marathon in the middle of the innings. Given that we have already hit rock bottom, with a whitewash in ODIs and a humiliation in the first T20, how can trying a new approach and new players be any worse?

Cheers Image

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:59 pm

^^^^^

I read your few posts. When you get angry with yourself or desh beat and thrash the heck of Pakistan.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:15 pm

the top 6 have collectively failed again and again, with only one century to show for.

rabada and lungi look real good. SA pace attack is in safe hands after the ageing morkel and steyn..

Trilobite
BGR Member

Post by Trilobite » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:49 pm

hanumadu wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:00 pm
Steve Smith didn't do well on wickets that offered movement in England. Steve Smith's technique works because pitches and balls are being prepared without any movement. That being said, he must have extraordinary eye sight and hand eye coordination to be able to put bat to ball with his technique.
You are off the mark, he has a decent average of 47+ in England. Certainly less than his overall average but still a decent average for England.
Last edited by Trilobite on Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:51 pm

I am not talking about average. I told how he did on seaming wickets. He made up with a double century in one of the matches.

Trilobite
BGR Member

Post by Trilobite » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:59 pm

You are talking about "specific swinging" pitches, that is a bogus criteria. Test stats are not categorized by specific pitch conditions. Steve Smith has a average of 47+ in England, that is pretty decent average.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:34 pm

Cook averaged 45 or so in the just concluded ashes. It's a pretty decent average. But the English don't seem to be happy with his performance nor was it helpful to reduce the margin of defeat.