Cricket

The Archive forum serves as a repository for topics that have been closed from the other forums. They serve as a database for future reference.
Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Re: Cricket

Post by Vyoman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:15 am

How is Axar Patel better than Sir Jadeja?

crams
Forum Moderator

Post by crams » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:53 pm

Yes, I agree that was an unnecessary comment from Ravi Shastri. Arm chair commentators always blow hot air, but I don't believe what Agarkar and VVS said were off the cuff at all. I will eat as much crow as as s thrown at me, but at 36, I doubt Dhoni can rejunivate his big hitting batting skills despite his agility behind the stumps. Of course, what Agarkar and VVSL didn't say is who should replace Dhoni.

Coming back to Ravi Shastri, no doubt he is a good coach, but I will reserve my judgement until I see how Indian team performs in SA, Aus, and Eng. Ditto prolific run getters like Kohli and current super stars like Pandya. I am certainly not trivializing our awesome victories to date, but too much off filed chatter is taking the sheen off IMO :-).

Coming to India SL series. I am not sure what is the point of this series? Is BCCI so cash stripped? I mean we just played SL just a few months ago. There was tons of cricket with Aus/NZ. Why can't BCCI just give the boys a break for 1-2 months before grueling international tours? Maybe just schedule some domestic cricket. I mean with so much cricket, I won't be surprised if players burn out. The SL series is a total waste of time IMO.

sbajwa
BGR Member

Post by sbajwa » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:19 pm

Kohli already complains that he also needs rest! That means Team India is ready to give Lanka their first win in Tests in India.

Dilbu
BGR Newbie

Post by Dilbu » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:19 am

Karthik wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:10 am
Just watched Sreesant's interview in republic. Anyone knows what happened there? He said there are many top players accused in some report. He didn't get any help from Indian senior cricketers. Was he made scape goat?
IIRC the commission which inquired into IPL match fixing had submitted a sealed envelope with many senior cricketers mentioned in it. It was rumoured that many national team players in CSK were involved in fixing. If none of them were investigated into or suspended from international cricket then why should only Sreesanth be banned for life, that too when he has been let off by the courts?

sbajwa
BGR Member

Post by sbajwa » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:53 pm

17 for 3 in Test match. See I told you it is all scripted!Just like the Champions Trophy. Kohli is now officially part of the Aman ka Tamasha type.

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:11 pm

sbajwa wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:53 pm
17 for 3 in Test match. See I told you it is all scripted!Just like the Champions Trophy. Kohli is now officially part of the Aman ka Tamasha type.
It's Sri Lanka sir, not pak for invoking aman ki tamasha.

sbajwa
BGR Member

Post by sbajwa » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:40 pm

BCCI behind the scenes is setting up AKT with ICC playing game too! BCCI knows that they can make the most money by playing Pakis.

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:07 pm

crams wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:53 pm
Of course, what Agarkar and VVSL didn't say is who should replace Dhoni.
This question will arise when every great player is close to retirement age, there can never be perfect replacements. The new guns have to thrown at the deep end to prove their worth, they may miss some, India may loose a few matches etc, but replacements are always a trial and error game. If this question persisted then Sachin and Dravid should never have retired as they are ireplaceable. Selectors would need to look at the top 3-4 wicket keeper batsmen in the country and give them more international exposure. Many players including Kohli lifted their game after they enetered the international arena.

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:47 pm

Murali Vijay and Pujara are the ideals.. we miss Vijay for this test

Peregrine
BGR Newbie

Cricket

Post by Peregrine » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:48 pm

Afghanistan embarrass Pakistan in final to make history

KARACHI: Afghanistan’s U19 cricket team made history as they won the Asia Youth Cup for the first time, trouncing Pakistan in the final at the Kinrara Academy in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on Sunday.

Pakistan lost to Afghanistan by a whopping 185 runs, with the unbeaten Ikram Ali Khelof making 107 runs. For Pakistan Muhammad Musa took three wickets to restrict Afghanistan to a gettable 248.

However, Pakistan’s batting collapsed in embarrassing fashion, being skittled out for just 63 in just 22.1 overs. Mujeeb Zadran was the star of the show, with figures of 5-13, as only two Pakistani batsmen managedto reach double figures — Muhammad Taha (19) and skipper Hasan Khan (10).

“It was just not our day,” a shell-shocked Hasan told The Express Tribune. “We had trouble dealing with Afghanistan when we faced them in the pool matches so it wasn’t a case of us being complacent. Their bowling attack is really good and it showed today. We tried our best to overcome the mistakes we made in previous matches but Afghanistan were by far better than us. They deserve all the credit for outplaying us. We will have to work hard in the future if we are to avoid losing buy such a huge margin.”

Cheers Image

Peregrine
BGR Newbie

Cricket

Post by Peregrine » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:07 pm

Test championship: Play Pakistan or lose points, Sethi tells BCCI

Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Najam Sethi has told Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI that either they will have to let their team play against Pakistan or forfeit in case the teams are drawn against each other in the International Cricket Council (ICC) Test Championship.

There were reports in Indian media on Wednesday that BCCI representatives met Sports Minister Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore to discuss the possibility of resuming cricketing ties with Pakistan.

While talking to the media at the Gaddafi Stadium in Lahore after a six-hour meeting with the Board of Governors (BoG), Sethi said he has not received information regarding any progress made on the other side of the border.

“I’ve not received any official information but to be honest, I don’t think India have a lot of choices,” said Sethi. “Either they will play us or they will forfeit and we will get the points. I don’t think any team has a third option.”

Sethi then explained why the announcement of the schedule for the third edition of the Pakistan Super League (PSL) has been delayed. “The schedule was ready, but the delay took place because Dubai and Abu Dhabi want more matches in the third edition. Therefore, we had to withhold the schedule as our team is going to the UAE to discuss possible solutions.”

The 69-year-old also claimed that all players are willing to travel to Pakistan for the PSL matches taking place in the country. “All players have agreed to come to Lahore,” said Sethi. “There are a few who are reluctant about coming to Karachi so we have planned a second draft.”

Cheers Image

crams
Forum Moderator

Post by crams » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:25 pm

Guys, we discussed a while back whether the SL series is a waste of time or not, I think it is, at least the timing. Both Kohli and Ganguly are echoing the same. But I think a tad too late. Kohli should have come out way before to say what he just did, now it looks like he is whining

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/virat-k ... le-1779644

I don't know what compulsions BCCI was under, but my ideal scheduling past few months would have been this: India played Aus in 3 ODIs instead of 5, and completely blown away that garbage called T20. And instead of the useless ODI and T20 series against NZ, maybe a 3-test series against them instead. And I would have done away with the SL series altogether. This would have given our talented boys at least 45 days off to be with their families, girlfriends, wives etc.

And for both the series against Aus and NZ, I would have prepared green tops. I know every country prepares wickets that suits them, but in our case, since its high time we prove ourselves oversees, no harm in taking a bit of a risk in home series and preparing the boys for the conditions expected oversees in SA, Aus, and Eng. So while green tops give an advantage to Aus and NZ given that they have better quality pacers, but we have the home grounds advantage that could have offset the risk a tad. I mean one has to take risks, and this is a reasonable one for BCCI to have taken. Nothing gives me more pleasure than to beat the white Pakis: Aus and Eng especially in their own dens.

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:17 am

What boring batting display so far.

Peregrine
BGR Newbie

Cricket

Post by Peregrine » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:33 am

crams wrote:
Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:25 pm
Guys, we discussed a while back whether the SL series is a waste of time or not, I think it is, at least the timing. Both Kohli and Ganguly are echoing the same. But I think a tad too late. Kohli should have come out way before to say what he just did, now it looks like he is whining

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/virat-k ... le-1779644
crams Ji:

BCCI is actually spelt as M-O-N-E-Y!

Meantime : India vs Sri Lanka, 2nd Test -Venue: Vidarbha Cricket Association Stadium, Nagpur - End of Second Day

SL 205

IND 312/2 (98.0 Ovs) CRR: 3.18

Cheers Image

Peregrine
BGR Newbie

Cricket

Post by Peregrine » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:51 pm

BCCI set to snub Pakistan, correct flawed FTP at ICC Meet

NAGPUR: The BCCI is all set to have its way at the ICC Futures Tours and Programmes (FTP) Meeting as the Board will keep Pakistan out of the six nations it will play during the upcoming World Test Championship.

The two-day meeting is scheduled in Singapore from December 7.

Along with the Pakistan snub, the BCCI will also look to correct what current regime terms as a "flawed FTP" wherein they will have two dedicated home series slots every year in -February-March and October-November.

As per the schedules approved, starting 2019, nine top Test teams will play six series over two years (three at home and three away) in the two-year Test championship.

It has been reliably learnt that during the upcoming meeting in Singapore next month, BCCI will name Australia, England, New Zealand, South Africa, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh as their six opponents.

BCCI CEO Rahul Johri and acting secretary Amitabh Chaudhary are supposed to travel to Singapore for the meeting.

"The ICC knows the ground realities and especially chairman Shashank Manohar as he was BCCI president sometime back. We can't play Pakistan as it is Indian government's prerogative to allow us play them in a bilateral series," a senior BCCI official said.

"Our proposed opponent list is all set to be passed at the FTP Meet in Singapore. Also as per new World Test Championship rules, if the opposition is not in the proposed list, India will not have to forfeit points or pay penalty."

Apart from acting president CK Khanna, no other principal office bearers have come on record to support Virat Kohli's claims of fatigue, which many believe is due to flawed FTP calendar that was set earlier.

"People are talking about two India versus Sri Lanka series inside four months but that's only a part of the issue. Sri Lanka last played a Test series in India in 2009 so they have not played here for eight years. At some point in time, they had to come to India for a Test series. However, the earlier regime while deciding on FTP never looked at the balance," the influential official said.

"We played 13 home Tests in 2016-17 season and the whole of 2018, we will be playing abroad. Now what kind of FTP scheduling is this? This is where the problem is and no wonder Virat is annoyed.

"For proper balance, we will now have these two slots - February-March and October-November for home cricket. The December-January is a slot where we can go for away tours," the official explained.

BCCI CEO Rahul Johri was in town to watch the second day's play of the second Test between India and Sri Lanka. He also met ICC chairman Manohar, who came to watch the proceedings for some time with close friend and Maharashtra CA president Abhay Apte.

Cheers Image

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:35 pm

Jinx is on consistent performance of test failures.
Ashwin needs to swap his batting position with Jadeja.

Peregrine
BGR Newbie

Cricket

Post by Peregrine » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:30 am

Pakistan-India cricket

INDIA’S persistent failure to honour its cricket commitments with Pakistan for a bilateral series could see the Pakistan Cricket Board file a case in the International Cricket Council in January 2018 to settle the long-standing dispute. The PCB is seeking compensation from the BCCI, the Indian cricket board, for not honouring an MoU signed between the two boards in 2014 under which Pakistan and India were to play six bilateral series from 2015 to 2023. Unlike his predecessors, PCB chairman Najam Sethi has pursued the matter and is confident about getting a favourable verdict from the ICC. He recently said that lawyers were giving final shape to the case against the BCCI. The PCB is confident of success; since 2015 it has offered the BCCI multiple options including playing at neutral venues because the Indian government does not want to send the team to Pakistan or to invite the Pakistanis over, for security reasons. The PCB appears to mean business this time as it has allocated $1m for contesting the case in the ICC and other courts if it fails to get a favourable decision.

However, given the Indian government’s propensity to mix politics with sports, and the ICC’s reputation as a toothless tiger in such cases, many here aren’t too optimistic about the PCB’s success. Besides, the ICC’s currently being headed by an Indian, Shashank Manohar, does not help either. Although Mr Manohar, during his tenure as ICC chief, has largely been impartial in matters involving his native country, he has been a bystander in crucial matters such as India’s defiance of the ICC’s future tours programme or its continued refusal to make use of the decision review system. Both apply strictly to all other cricket-playing nations. If the deadlock persists, it would be detrimental for the game since there are few contests in cricket that are as exciting or financially viable as a Pakistan-India match. The stupendous monetary and viewership success of the Champions Trophy final in England last June was just one example of this.

Cheers [img]http://www.skyscrapercity.com/images/smilies/beer.gif[/img

Peregrine
BGR Newbie

Cricket

Post by Peregrine » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:36 am

India vs Sri Lanka, 2nd Test
Venue: Vidarbha Cricket Association Stadium, Nagpur

IND 610/6 decl

SL 205, 166-all out (49.3 Ovs) CRR: 3.35

India won by an innings and 239 runs

Cheers Image

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:00 pm

Players like Sanju Samson and Rishab Pant can't be ignored for test team reserves.

We have a shaky middle with Rahane and Ashwin. Too much caressing for these two while KL Rahul got the boot. Shreyas Iyer is another candidate.

KJo
Forum Moderator

Post by KJo » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:27 pm

I'm beginning to think that Virat Kohli is greater than Sachin Tendulkar. :shock:

Time to bring in Rishabh Pant in gradually without ruining him and discarding him like our selectors have done so often.

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:13 am

Should have shifted venue from Delhi. It's embarrassing.

V J
BGR Newbie

Post by V J » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:26 pm

Karthik wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:13 am
Should have shifted venue from Delhi. It's embarrassing.
Completely agree, unprecedented stuff this http://www.hotstar.com/sports/cricket/s ... 2002002703

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:11 pm

Well India dropped 5 simple catches.. air quality? Or Kholi's double ? Air quality? Stupidity. Ravans failed and used air quality as reason to save the test. The pisskology worked that Ashwin got frustrated , kaptaan declared in irritation, brilliant opening bowling due to air quality? Only for those who got pissked.. lost their minds and catches.

And the actual fact.. how Indics get psyched up.. get embarrassed only after.. not before. Like they all know Khujli will embarrass you all but still give him thumping majority.

Sheesh.

Sicanta
BGR Newbie

Post by Sicanta » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:25 pm

Truly, the act by sri lankans is lolworthy.

BTW,
Is Kohli up there with Tendulkar and Richards as an ODI batsman?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/ ... di-batsman

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:21 am

The GREAT Sanjay Manjrekar was vomiting in the commentary box of how embarrassing the whole situation (air quality non-issue) is to the whole city, to BCCI and to the whole country as whole. How it is such a let down to India's image internationally..blah blah blah...These guys in their desperation to show how intelligent and socially aware will eat horse $hit if need be.