Car and Bike thread

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
Sridhar k
BGR Newbie

Re: Car and Bike thread

Post by Sridhar k » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:39 am

Vehicles with turbo lag, the 2mins rule is important for the life of the turbo. Mahindra vehicles don't have much turbo lag and hence may not be applicable. Guess you should sell it off soon as these vehicles start giving trouble post 100k

AdityaM
BGR Newbie

Post by AdityaM » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:22 pm

Sachin I drive the Quanto daily. I don't think any car can have as many issues as my Quanto had. i had bought the top end Q8.
luckily I had paid 18,000 for extended 2 years warranty. Recovered it when the twin-Turbo started whistling. Otherwise it would have cost 70,000 Rs!
In 4 years i too never had the confidence of going on long trips with family. I never know when something will go bad.

All sorts of things go bad with it:
Coolant leaks, and the temperature gauge went faulty. I never got to know that i was driving without coolant and discovered it by chance
Gear-Clutch had a problem from day 1. Second gear is always a pain. Cluch drum was changed 3 times in the hope of fixing it.

Even mundane stuff like indicator, inbuilt reverse sensor alarm, power windows controllers have been changed, some multiple times

latest issue is that i hear bubbling noises when i increase the RPM or the car goes on an incline

Many serious issues later, I have decided never to buy a Mahindra again.

Sachin
BGR Oldie

Post by Sachin » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:10 pm

Sridhar k wrote:Vehicles with turbo lag, the 2mins rule is important for the life of the turbo. Mahindra vehicles don't have much turbo lag and hence may not be applicable. Guess you should sell it off soon as these vehicles start giving trouble post 100k
This is the advice I have been getting from any body who has some clue on automobiles. I am just trying to use it for another two more years, so that I can at least clear off the loan. My own cousins who are crazy about cars, friendly mechanics (who do not wish to see me lose money), all were asking me to chuck of the vehicle for what ever amount it gives.
AdityaM wrote:Recovered it when the twin-Turbo started whistling. Otherwise it would have cost 70,000 Rs!
In 4 years i too never had the confidence of going on long trips with family. I never know when something will go bad.
Cluch drum was changed 3 times in the hope of fixing it.
Even mundane stuff like indicator, inbuilt reverse sensor alarm, power windows controllers have been changed, some multiple times
Many serious issues later, I have decided never to buy a Mahindra again
Yeah, the infamous "intercooler" was the first to give me trouble (this was like around 8 months after purchase). The entire assembly had to be replaced, but under warranty. The inlet pipe to this same device came off when driving in KL (right at the time of WhatsApp harthal), and I was stranded on the road.

My first set of clutch drum change happened 2 years back, when vehicle had crossed around 60,000km. Now I had it changed again (assuming that would fix the current problem - low pulling power), and this is at around 1,23,000kms. The problem of low pulling power has been attributed as to a faulty pump. The mechanics (not a branded garage) has promised to get the pump replaced tomorrow. But he too constantly complains about spare parts not being available.

A simple spare part - the A/C vent fixed onto the dashboard - has been unavailable for the past 2 years. Every mechanic promises to get it, but later says the part is not available. Now I have pretty much given up on that (just like minor dents etc.). Maruti Sales & Service was much much better.

Yes, me too have lost the trust which I have on Mahindra & Mahindra vehicles. Their vehicles look bulky, and gives the driver a view from high above. This is what I liked in Quanto also. But looks like the internal components are all sourced from the cheapest component providers, with the overall product quality coming to extreme low levels. And the way M&M discreetly pulled out this model from the market, gives me a feeling that this was a shoddy product from day one and they knew it and wanted to quickly get away from the scene.

Sridhar k
BGR Newbie

Post by Sridhar k » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:15 am

Is the pump from Lucas or Rhane? Same problem on my friends Indica which no one was able to diagnose. Finally, it was traced to fuel pump. Investigation into it revealed that these buggers in order not to loose against fake copies, flood the market with their own lower quality fakes and even authorized service centers are part of the scam. Once the car manufacturer selects the vendor on lowest cost, oem supplies low quality stuff. They don't do qc on incoming components as it costs. Tata and Mahindra are notorious on this front. Tatas are improving but the issue is still not gone

Muns
Forum Moderator

Post by Muns » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:12 am

Any electric vehicle drivers here? I think once you drive electric vehicle you probably won't drive a gas vehicle ever again. There's just something about the immediate torque and the technology involved in driving electrical vehicle as well as the satisfaction that you have in knowing that you have zero emissions. Coupled with if you have a Solar electrical system then you really can enjoy the rewards.

Fantastic thing about the Leaf electrical vehicle is that it is capable of bidirectional charging something known as V2G. This means vehicle to grid. You charge the Nissan leaf of electrical power and drive around on it. When you come back home during the night when you need to power, you can then use the Nissan leaf to then power your home.
There are a lot of companies trying to create the right charger to take the potential of such a car in this matter. Tesla, of course we won't do any such thing because they actually producer battery pack that they would like to run. However the same battery pack known as the powerwall costs as much as a secondhand Nissan Leaf!

Kumar
BGR Member

Post by Kumar » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:36 pm

Around 1.5 lakh deaths in road accidents in 2018 and 4.6 lakh accidents.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ind ... 383679.cms

In 2012, the International Road Federation (IRF) estimated that traffic collision results in an annual monetary loss of $20 billion (INR 1 trillion (short scale)) in India. This figure includes expenses associated with the collision victim, property damage and administration expenses.[12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_a ... s_in_India