Health and Fitness

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
Javee
BGR Newbie

Re: Health and Fitness

Post by Javee » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:48 am

Here is a short 1 min video of OMR commute by bicycle,

https://youtu.be/_wyDpjeRw2k

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:49 am

is that you or a friend? seems like a garmin 310XT or successor on wrist.

Javee
BGR Newbie

Post by Javee » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:16 pm

Its my video, I shot it this monday, got a new GoPro :)

Vyoman @saikanomie
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman @saikanomie » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:48 pm

cool.. bikes are faster in bengaluru roads.

KJo
Forum Moderator

Post by KJo » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:47 am

I did machines for a year and not much improvement. Did free weights for 2 weeks and I see some positive improvement.
Raja was right.

Raja
Forum Moderator

Post by Raja » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:06 pm

Of course I was. :-P

Raja
Forum Moderator

Post by Raja » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:35 pm

Yesterday, SHQ and me went for a short 1 mile-ish climb in the Taman Negara jungle in Malaysia and by mile 0.5 SHQ was reeling like a punch drunk boxer from the grade and the humidity and lay down right there. Finally our guide waited with her and I went up by myself to the top. Looks like Mt Kilimanjaro won’t be happening any time soon but at least she didn’t murder me like most SDRE SHQs would have after such an exertion. :lol:

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:58 pm

son dipped to 29:30 for first time in 5k, running with his class7 katpack in charity run. the winner was 22 mins. none of these kids are in run squad at school but play football few times a week and are fairly lean and thin. the general HM winner was a thin lad from vellore in around 1:30

a smallish 60+ yo gent won the veterans category of 10k in 40 mins!

so plump itvity munna like me is caught in middle, speed and youth behind and existential pattabhi jois/BKS type gurus ahead. one gets thrashed either way

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:27 pm

great film about timothy olsen and the hard rock 100.
its never about the medals.

Raja
Forum Moderator

Post by Raja » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:40 am

Billy Yang who created the above video, has become the de facto documentary maker for ultras. He himself is a solid middle of the pack runner (3:20-ish FMs, 25:xx Western States 100 finish). He started ultra running after his father was brutally shot dead in his LA liquor store by some thugs. I have posted his videos from time to time on BRF.

Tim Olson is the current Western States course record holder and is a great guy. He is an ex-drug addict who quit his addiction and became a top ultra runner. Joe Grant is another Zen master I admire. In ultras, it doesn't matter whether you are a pauper or a CEO - there is no cushy buffer between your body and reality, no amount of ppt-giri works, YumBeeAye giri falls flat on its face, no last minute cramming JEE kamandu style works, no call to action sloganeering or mind over matter speeches matter, as nature doesn't care who you are or who your father is, all that matters is how your mind and body work with nature.

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:41 am

kenenisa bekele takes the kolkata 25k on dec18 in 1:13:xy

sparse crowds as usual, people will come miles to see any bollywood type but true greats walk by unsung ... but great to see lot of common people participating rather than lecturing over cha and fish fry :D

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:18 pm

I want to write a few posts about health care in India and medical practice which thread is suitable, how do I create one if there is none?

Raja
Forum Moderator

Post by Raja » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:04 am

WTF?! Even pappu’s speeches get more applause than what Kenenisa got. Pathetic. People seriously are too much into chai biskoot Bollywood crap instead of appreciating true talent.

Tomorrow taking coach and gang on a tour of the southern part of Quicksilver mines. Coach is worried about the distance but I have no clue how much the distance is since I don’t use the gps on my watch for training runs except track and hill repeats. So I told him it’s 18 miles give or take a few miles. So now he is dhoti shivering onlee. :lol:

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:51 am

there is a new topic option in the forum main page on top left.

or you can write it here.

Vyoman @saikanomie
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman @saikanomie » Sat May 26, 2018 4:40 am

RB, ma pooch on nukkad

Misra
BGR Newbie

Post by Misra » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:29 am

it’s now been exactly one year since i started yoga. i’ve done it daily for 65-75 min with the main kriya being a 21-min series of breath exercises (as i mentioned on the first page of this thread). no complex asanas. just a series of simple warm up exercises/stretches before the kriya itself. no other form of exercise. i’m listing the physical results here. (other effects are not suitable for this thread but they are tangible enough for me to recommend classical yoga (as opposed to the studio kind) to everyone.)

resting heart rate down from 80’s to 58, blood pressure down from marginally high to normal, breath more regular, no chronic pain, no seasonal illnesses, cholesterol no longer high, better skin and teeth, body more flexible and stronger, better balance, better posture, increased endurance, improved sleep, more energy, alertness is up, freedom from old addictions, moods more stable, diminishing neuroses (stress, anxiety etc), more clarity, greater sense of well being

i will next include in my daily routine some additional hatha yoga to strengthen the body more systematically. and, after a year or so of that, will learn a more advanced meditation technique. i’m totally sold on it

Vyoman @saikanomie
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman @saikanomie » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:37 am

Now RB & Singha should do a bad water two times for this.

Primus
BGR Member

Post by Primus » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:36 pm

Misra wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:29 am
it’s now been exactly one year since i started yoga. i’ve done it daily for 65-75 min with the main kriya being a 21-min series of breath exercises (as i mentioned on the first page of this thread). no complex asanas. just a series of simple warm up exercises/stretches before the kriya itself. no other form of exercise. i’m listing the physical results here. (other effects are not suitable for this thread but they are tangible enough for me to recommend classical yoga (as opposed to the studio kind) to everyone.)

resting heart rate down from 80’s to 58, blood pressure down from marginally high to normal, breath more regular, no chronic pain, no seasonal illnesses, cholesterol no longer high, better skin and teeth, body more flexible and stronger, better balance, better posture, increased endurance, improved sleep, more energy, alertness is up, freedom from old addictions, moods more stable, diminishing neuroses (stress, anxiety etc), more clarity, greater sense of well being

i will next include in my daily routine some additional hatha yoga to strengthen the body more systematically. and, after a year or so of that, will learn a more advanced meditation technique. i’m totally sold on it
Fascinating stuff Misra Ji. Would you be able to share your breathing exercises? Would appreciate it.

There are several psychological studies on the power of belief and mindset even while doing routine work. The human body can achieve a lot of change even with every day work if you truly focus on the health benefits of it. Yoga if done well would work wonders.

Misra
BGR Newbie

Post by Misra » Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:43 am

yoga is the antithesis of belief

both how yoga is transmitted and how it is received are of paramount importance. so a) the guru and the method/tools he/she imparts/teaches must have great integrity and b) the seeker must be truly receptive for the methods/tools to work well. traditionally there are five centers of receptivity:
- sleep (nidra)
- memory (smriti)
- imagination (vikalpa)
- wrong knowing (viparyaya, includes misconceptions, perversions, distortions etc)
- right knowing (pramana)
which center is active when receiving yoga will make all the difference for the seeker

as i mentioned before i am a baby when it comes to yoga and not qualified to impart what i have received. indeed i will be doing you a great disservice by attempting to do so. i can say that i practice what’s known as the ‘shambhavi mahamudra’. i have found it to be a simple but powerful intro to classical/formal yoga. i do it every day without modification—usually at home but also at airports during extended travel, in hotels, in friends’ and relatives’ homes

some of the results i listed in the post above (like lower cholesterol, better skin/teeth) could be attributed to the diet i designed for myself based on the principle that anything i consume should make me feel active and energetic and not lethargic or dull. while this works great for me i will not recommend it to anyone else:
- two meals a day
- no snacks
- mainly fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, honey, beans, pulses, grains
- drink water only and only when thirsty
- strictly no alcohol/meat
- somewhat less strictly (since i have a family): no eggs (only in desserts), onions, garlic, sugar, tea, coffee, soda, potato, eggplant, other nightshades etc
my doctor is happy with my blood work. my wife, a physician herself, is much less incredulous now than a year ago :D

Primus
BGR Member

Post by Primus » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:58 pm

Misra wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:43 am
yoga is the antithesis of belief

both how yoga is transmitted and how it is received are of paramount importance. so a) the guru and the method/tools he/she imparts/teaches must have great integrity and b) the seeker must be truly receptive for the methods/tools to work well. traditionally there are five centers of receptivity:
- sleep (nidra)
- memory (smriti)
- imagination (vikalpa)
- wrong knowing (viparyaya, includes misconceptions, perversions, distortions etc)
- right knowing (pramana)
which center is active when receiving yoga will make all the difference for the seeker
I am sure the real Yoga is quite different from what we see advertised in the West and practiced by most people around the world, i.e. it is both physical and spiritual. I agree, the right teacher would make a huge difference as would the attitude of the student, which is usually what it is with most such disciplines.
as i mentioned before i am a baby when it comes to yoga and not qualified to impart what i have received. indeed i will be doing you a great disservice by attempting to do so. i can say that i practice what’s known as the ‘shambhavi mahamudra’. i have found it to be a simple but powerful intro to classical/formal yoga. i do it every day without modification—usually at home but also at airports during extended travel, in hotels, in friends’ and relatives’ homes
Thank you, I have very little personal knowledge of Yoga - have never studied it but I will look this up and see if I can follow it. I do a set of formal exercises twice a week but something that can be done during my travels (which I do a lot of) would be very useful.
some of the results i listed in the post above (like lower cholesterol, better skin/teeth) could be attributed to the diet i designed for myself based on the principle that anything i consume should make me feel active and energetic and not lethargic or dull. while this works great for me i will not recommend it to anyone else:
- two meals a day
- no snacks
- mainly fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds, honey, beans, pulses, grains
- drink water only and only when thirsty
- strictly no alcohol/meat
- somewhat less strictly (since i have a family): no eggs (only in desserts), onions, garlic, sugar, tea, coffee, soda, potato, eggplant, other nightshades etc
my doctor is happy with my blood work. my wife, a physician herself, is much less incredulous now than a year ago :D
I suspect your diet certainly would be contributing. I am at an age where I need a lot more protein and it is harder as I am largely vegetarian. Plus, over the years I've developed a fondness for good wine and whiskey. Loathe to give that up - after all, what do you live for ;)

However, as I was alluding to in my previous post, how you think and what you believe makes a big difference. The old saying, "eat with family and friends in a happy environment and walk/exercise for the sake of it and it will do your body good" has a lot of truth in it. The same work done as a mindless chore and done with an understanding of the benefits of exercise can make a significant difference in its effect on the human body.

Ellen Langer, a professor of psychology from Harvard is well known for her research on 'mindfulness' and her experiment with hotel maids is a classic study, among many others, including the much replicated and televised 'counterclockwise' experiment from 1979. Of course there are skeptics but I believe there is a large area in human physiology and psychology that is still unknown. The mind, which very few in the present scientific world really understand, is indeed a powerful thing.

Here is the hotel maids study from Langer's group which is quite fascinating: https://dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/hand ... sequence=1

Misra
BGR Newbie

Post by Misra » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:23 pm

Misra wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:29 am

started hatha yoga from yesterday—in addition to the kriya yoga i have been doing daily for 1.25 years. let’s see how this goes....

the postures are difficult for me at the moment but i expect them to become easier very soon. once that happens then the time it takes me to do the whole sequence of asanas will also reduce drastically. looking forward to that day!