Indian Movies Thread

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
Vikas
BGR Member
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:31 pm

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by Vikas » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:25 am

IMO, Urdu is more expressive and easier when it comes to writing songs for Hindi Movies. Like Hindi, I claim complete ownership of Urdu too as this too is a Hindustani language. But like someone pointed out, Urdu has Islamic leanings and most of the analogy is driven from Islam.

Primus
BGR Member
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:20 am

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by Primus » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:45 am

Vikas wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:25 am
IMO, Urdu is more expressive and easier when it comes to writing songs for Hindi Movies. Like Hindi, I claim complete ownership of Urdu too as this too is a Hindustani language. But like someone pointed out, Urdu has Islamic leanings and most of the analogy is driven from Islam.
Urdu is used in Hindi songs because the majority of Bollywood songwriters of the 'golden era' wrote in Urdu and/or were muslims themselves. Yet there are beautiful songs in Hindi too, for example the national poet Pradeep's works. In the end very few songs have totally Urdu or 'shuddh' Hindi lyrics.

However, in my lifetime I am seeing a big change. There is an increasing trend for 'kavi-sammelans' to have poetry in pure Hindi whereas in the past you would hear both Urdu and Hindi on the same stage. If you've ever heard the amazing Kavita Tiwari you would be blown away by her use of pure Hindi/sanskrit words that to my ears sound just as beautiful if not more so than anything I've heard in Urdu - and just as difficult to understand fully :)

I speak Hindi very well and Urdu too, but cannot understand classic Urdu shayari because it is mostly derived from Farsi. That is what, IMHO does not make it an 'Indian' language. It's script and source vocabulary is not based on any 'native' Indian language. Said to be a mixture of Persian, Arabic and Turkish, there is some controversy even in Pakistan about where Urdu comes from, and there are lengthy articles in the media discussing its sources, some going on to say that most of the words come from 'Indo-Aryan' languages of 'Vedic times'. This of course suggests an agenda of a different nature :)

Chandragupta
BGR Member
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:49 am

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by Chandragupta » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:13 pm

Has anyone seen Parmanu? I want to go asap but just not getting the chance.

sbajwa
BGR Member
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:49 pm

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by sbajwa » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:05 pm

Vikas wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:25 am
IMO, Urdu is more expressive and easier when it comes to writing songs for Hindi Movies. Like Hindi, I claim complete ownership of Urdu too as this too is a Hindustani language. But like someone pointed out, Urdu has Islamic leanings and most of the analogy is driven from Islam.
Have you read Munshi Premchand's (Dhanpat Rai) novels (Godaan, etc). Before 1947 movies, literature, etc were totally Urdu/Farsi in urdu script. We have actually moved away from Urdu in last 70 years.


https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premchand

Hindi title Urdu title Publisher Date Length (pages) Description
Devasthan Rahasya Asrar-e-Ma'abid Awaz-e-Khalk (serial form) 1903 (8 October)-1905 (February) English translation of the title: "The Mystery of God's Abode"

Prema Hamkhurma-o-Ham Sawab Indian Press/Hindustan Publishing House 1907 Amrit Rai overcomes social opposition to marry the young widow Poorna, giving up his rich and beautiful fiance Prema. (Penned under the name "Babu Nawab Rai Banarsi")

Kishna Medical Hall Press, Benares 1907 142 Now lost; satirises women's fondness for jewellery

Roothi Rani Zamana (serial form) 1907 (April–August) Soz-e-Watan Publishers of Zamana 1907,1909 Banned by the British Government in 1909

Vardaan Jalwa-e-Isar Granth Bhandar and Dhanju 1912 128 Vardan ("Boon") is about Pratap Cahndra and Brij Rani, two childhood neighbours who like each other. Brij gets married to another man and becomes a famous poet after being widowed. Her friend Madhvi starts liking Pratap after hearing about him from Brij. Pratap becomes a sadhu, and Madhvi becomes his devotee.


Seva Sadan Bazaar-e-Husn Calcutta Pustak Agency (Hindi) 1919 (Hindi); 1924 (Urdu) 280 An unhappy housewife first becomes a courtesan, and then manages an orphanage for the young daughters of the courtesans.

Premashram Gosha-e-Afiyat 1922

Rangbhoomi Chaugan-e-Hasti Darul Ishaat (Urdu, 1935) 1924

Nirmala (novel) Nirmala Idaara-e-Furoogh-Urdu 1925 156 English title: The second wife. About the dowry system in India (serialised in the magazine Chand between November 1921 and November 1926, before being published as a novel)


Kaayakalp Parda-i-Majaz Lajpat Rai & Sons, Lahore (Urdu) 1926 (Hindi), 1934 (Urdu) 440

Pratigya Bewa 1927 Deals with widow remarriage

Gaban Ghaban Saraswati Press, Benares; Lajpatrai & Sons, Urdu Bazaar 1931 248

Karmabhoomi Maidan-e-Amal Maktaba Jamia, Delhi 1932

Godaan Saraswati Press 1936 344 English title: The Gift of the Cow. Themed around the socio economic deprivation as well as the exploitation of the village poor.

Mangalsootra (incomplete) Hindustan Publishing House Premchand completed only first four chapters (around 70 pages) of this novel.

Vikas
BGR Member
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:31 pm

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by Vikas » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:58 am

SBajwa ji, I am not into reading Urdu fiction or even Hindi novels except for what I read in the school and in School, everything looks so boring. So Munshi Premchand was one of those whose value was in scoring marks.
I can't read Urdu properly anymore and anyways I am no longer active on Literary scene.

back to topic, Things have moved a lot from earlier Urdu days in Bhaiwood movies to more Hindianised version. While earlier movies used to have court scenes peppered with Urdu/farsi terminology which no one understood, Jolly LLB had nothing of that sort.
Remember Maktool, Muddai-ala, Taj-e-rat-e-hind dafa 302 etc.

So money brings out the real character of our fake-Lib movie stars. Swara Bhaskar who was so much in love with Law-hore till last month felt Pakis are a failing state and we should not pay any attention to it, why you ask ? Because they banned a recent movie in which she was one of the actor.
Pakis got taste of Indian Taqqiya this time....lol

vishvak
BGR Newbie
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:53 pm
Location: Mumbai

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by vishvak » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:42 am

Don't forget lovefest movies like .PK bankrolled by Pakis. The 'world' religions got a line or two worth criticism in the whole movie.

Or that matter movie like Thug etc which is what a gora overlord wannabe wrote listening to arbitrary criminals ie gutter inspection of unorganised type.

Indrad
BGR Oldie
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:37 pm

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by Indrad » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:27 pm

Priyanka Chopra has courted fresh controversy. She has portrayed Hindu terrorism through Quantico script. here is snippet



An outrage followed forcing channel to apologize, 2 days later PC has apologized as well:
http://indianexpress.com/article/india/ ... e-5210489/

what has left Indian audience stunned is how non nonchalantly she agreed to this script: apparently show runner is an Umma lady for whom M terror doesn't exist.

PC is brand ambassador for Swach Bharat and on occasions has been seen with namo

She is also Padma Shree.

crams
BGR Member
Posts: 407
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:28 am

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by crams » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:23 pm

This is no CT, but that script, Pakis are so innocent onlee, and baad Hindus did it themselves to defame Pakis and ‘fredom struggle’ is a standard ISI line endorsed by US deep state and Bollytards ( now a slave of whites) like Priyanka Chopra and the ‘South Asian’ gang. This tells you that when it comes to India and Paaakistan, how closely US media is in synch with their govt

Primus
BGR Member
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:20 am

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by Primus » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:53 pm

Very few media personalities or politicians anywhere in the world are willing to call it 'Islamic Terrorism'. After Charlie Hebdo, some British news persons openly admitted they were afraid for their own lives and therefore would not . It is not just about getting the votes or tolerance. It is about staying alive.

srikumar
BGR Member
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:38 am

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by srikumar » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:41 pm

Indrad wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:27 pm
Priyanka Chopra has courted fresh controversy. She has portrayed Hindu terrorism through Quantico script. here is snippet



An outrage followed forcing channel to apologize, 2 days later PC has apologized as well:
http://indianexpress.com/article/india/ ... e-5210489/

what has left Indian audience stunned is how non nonchalantly she agreed to this script: apparently show runner is an Umma lady for whom M terror doesn't exist.

PC is brand ambassador for Swach Bharat and on occasions has been seen with namo

She is also Padma Shree.
PC doing this episode is only half of the issue. She clearly milked her Indian credentials, Hindu heritage to give credibility to this episode pointing to 'Indian nationalists' wanting to place a nuke!! Given that she represents GOI (in some manner of speaking), this is shameful. Maybe she values her career more.

The main blame should go to ABC for running with this script. They pulled a real dirty trick on Hindus by airing this as their last (or is it last-but-one?) episode. I was looking for a list of advertisers for this show to contact, and guess what, the show was already cancelled and so no advertizers. This was a parting shot.

They managed to connect the rudraskha mala to terrorists in the minds of the couple of million who would have tuned in to see the episode. Any outrage should be targetted at ABC, I say. (The swastika sign that many Hindus put up in their houses/porches/restaurants as an auspicious sign had to be explained/prefaced with a ton of explanation that is not a Natzi sign and that it predated Hitler by 2000 years. ABC took a tiny Hitlerite step in the same direction by pulling in the rudraksha mala in their stupid episode on Indian terrorism. Great going ABC!).

As for PC, she might yet be able to milk this 'social media attack' on her for additional publicity (and sympathy) and perhaps land another role in Hollywood.

Indrad
BGR Oldie
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:37 pm

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by Indrad » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:26 pm

Indrad wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:27 pm
Priyanka Chopra has courted fresh controversy. She has portrayed Hindu terrorism through Quantico script. here is snippet



An outrage followed forcing channel to apologize, 2 days later PC has apologized as well:
http://indianexpress.com/article/india/ ... e-5210489/

what has left Indian audience stunned is how nonchalantly she agreed for the script: apparently show runner is an Umma lady who doesn't believe M terror exists.

PChopra is brand ambassador for Swach Bharat and on occasions has been seen with namo.

She is also Padma Shree (Awarded in 2010).

Supratik
Forum Moderator
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:50 pm

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by Supratik » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:00 pm

Should watch Parmanu. Good fictionalized account of Pokhran 2.

Vikas
BGR Member
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:31 pm

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by Vikas » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:53 pm

If you see Priyanka or Deepika in Hollywood movies/TV series, They come across as mildly brown looking Indian beauties which probably is the true color of their skin, but when you see them in Hindi movies like in Bajirao Mastani, They are as fair as Kashmiri beauties. Same is true for some of the actors that I happen to see in real life on Airports.

So in Bhaiwood, everyone stinks.

Indrad
BGR Oldie
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:37 pm

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by Indrad » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:34 pm



pls check this song out ...this is shot in China. Locations are stunning with dramatic landscapes, exotic and surreal. Heard Cheena is allowing muft visa for shooting cos it gives them publicity.

Image

red beach china: colour is due to sea weed sueda.

Indrad
BGR Oldie
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:37 pm

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by Indrad » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:20 pm

Love Jihadi Sanjay Dutt: How he managed to bed 308 women
filmmaker Rajkumar Hirani revealed how Dutt actually conned several women by escorting them to his mother's fake grave.

"He would start dating a girl and take her to this graveyard. He would say, 'I have brought you here to meet my mother.' After this unusual meeting, the girl would feel emotionally attached to Sanju. The reality was that the grave was not his mother's," said Hirani.

Not only would Dutt lie to score emotionally with his girlfriends, he was vindictive as well and couldn't get over girls who dumped him. "A girl broke up with him. So, Sanjay took his friend's new car and smashed it into another car parked outside his ex-girlfriend's house. Later on, Sanju found out that the car he rammed into belonged to his ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend. Both cars were severely damaged," Hirani recalled
https://www.indiatoday.in/movies/celebr ... 2018-06-23

Supratik
Forum Moderator
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:50 pm

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by Supratik » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:43 pm

Who in his right mind will be interested in Sanjay Dutt's life and how many women he laid?

Indrad
BGR Oldie
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:37 pm

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by Indrad » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:21 pm

is any one keeping eye on films coming out in Bwood. All of them are full of peacefuls, it is difficult to find a Hindu, even if he is there chances are it wld be Anil Kapoor type!
Look at the production house, direction to star cast of race 3!
Upcoming awaited film Soorma based on true story is directed by another Shaad Ali.
Not long ago we had Raazi! there seems to be disproportionate representation of peacefuls in Bwood and they seem to be exerting their presence.
Mahesh Bhatt gives music job to unheard Toshi Saabri & who not..
Recall Chak De ..how SRK was shown as a victim peaceful (Gaddar!).

Supratik
Forum Moderator
Posts: 466
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:50 pm

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by Supratik » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:59 pm

There was always heavy Muslim presence in Bollywood right from the 1930-40s.

Primus
BGR Member
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:20 am

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by Primus » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:44 pm

Supratik wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:59 pm
There was always heavy Muslim presence in Bollywood right from the 1930-40s.
I believe it maybe partly due to the North Indian Hindu's aversion to the arts, especially the performing type. Growing up it was considered to be unbecoming of a 'respectable' family to learn music or dance. Completely opposite to the culture in Bengal or Tamilnadu where most well to do families would encourage their young, especially the girls, to learn music or singing. Muslim families had no such hangups.

What is interesting though is that although the actors were muslim they sometimes adopted Hindu names to become popular. Dilip Kumar being the classic example.

There were many other reasons I am sure, including the influence of Urdu as the dominant language of the era.

Sachin
BGR Oldie
Posts: 634
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:25 pm

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by Sachin » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:53 am

Primus wrote:I believe it maybe partly due to the North Indian Hindu's aversion to the arts, especially the performing type. Growing up it was considered to be unbecoming of a 'respectable' family to learn music or dance.
More than aversion to art, I feel that Hindus of those times considered movie acting to be a disreputed art-form. Drama (especially the roving theatre types) also had such a disrepute. With men & women moving around together a lot of time, and being in close contact with each other (as part of the acting), they were considered to be having loose morals.
Completely opposite to the culture in Bengal or Tamilnadu where most well to do families would encourage their young, especially the girls, to learn music or singing. Muslim families had no such hangups.
This may be true, but the arts taught to the girls have always been more "classical" (Carnatic music, or Indian dance forms like Bharatanatyam etc.). The "movie acting" etc. was considered to be too low an art, just like acting in dramas. Even to this day drama artists do have a slight stigma attached to their jobs; and the notion that they are a bit loose on their morals. Movies today due to the money and glamour some times will be able to take way the stigma.

In Kerala the first talkie "Vigathakumaran" had its first theatre actually burnt down. The heroine who finally was willing to act in the movie was a X'ian convert (from SC/ST community). She was ostracised and finally was said to have eloped with a truck driver. Muslim community mainly involved in business etc were smart to know that movie-world is going to be the next money making industry. And they were smart enough to invest the money there. And since they were the pioneers naturally they have the advantage of calling the shots.

sbajwa
BGR Member
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:49 pm

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by sbajwa » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:41 pm

Indrad wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:21 pm
is any one keeping eye on films coming out in Bwood. All of them are full of peacefuls, it is difficult to find a Hindu, even if he is there chances are it wld be Anil Kapoor type!
Look at the production house, direction to star cast of race 3!
Upcoming awaited film Soorma based on true story is directed by another Shaad Ali.
Not long ago we had Raazi! there seems to be disproportionate representation of peacefuls in Bwood and they seem to be exerting their presence.
Mahesh Bhatt gives music job to unheard Toshi Saabri & who not..
Recall Chak De ..how SRK was shown as a victim peaceful (Gaddar!).
Waiting for the 3 movies currently being build on Saragarhi battle.
Padmavat was a good Dharmic movie.

I don't watch movies of any Khan's unless they are free on TV and I have nothing to do.
I also do not watch movies of many directors (Bhardwaj, Bhansali (his padmavat was good))
Any movies that are written by this traitor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basharat_Peer

Vishal Bhardwaj was born and brought up in Western UP (Najibabad) So he probably grew up among the pissfuls.

sbajwa
BGR Member
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:49 pm

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by sbajwa » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:02 pm

Sachin wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:53 am
Primus wrote:I believe it maybe partly due to the North Indian Hindu's aversion to the arts, especially the performing type. Growing up it was considered to be unbecoming of a 'respectable' family to learn music or dance.
More than aversion to art, I feel that Hindus of those times considered movie acting to be a disreputed art-form. Drama (especially the roving theatre types) also had such a disrepute. With men & women moving around together a lot of time, and being in close contact with each other (as part of the acting), they were considered to be having loose morals.
Completely opposite to the culture in Bengal or Tamilnadu where most well to do families would encourage their young, especially the girls, to learn music or singing. Muslim families had no such hangups.
This may be true, but the arts taught to the girls have always been more "classical" (Carnatic music, or Indian dance forms like Bharatanatyam etc.). The "movie acting" etc. was considered to be too low an art, just like acting in dramas. Even to this day drama artists do have a slight stigma attached to their jobs; and the notion that they are a bit loose on their morals. Movies today due to the money and glamour some times will be able to take way the stigma.

In Kerala the first talkie "Vigathakumaran" had its first theatre actually burnt down. The heroine who finally was willing to act in the movie was a X'ian convert (from SC/ST community). She was ostracised and finally was said to have eloped with a truck driver. Muslim community mainly involved in business etc were smart to know that movie-world is going to be the next money making industry. And they were smart enough to invest the money there. And since they were the pioneers naturally they have the advantage of calling the shots.
Punjabis, Marathis and Bengalis were always part of drama, music, literature, etc. One of the earliest music and movies was upper caste punjabi (Kundal Lal Saigal)., so were the upper caste Kapoor's, Khanna's, Malhotra's etc, Sikand's (Pran).

I think british influence in Calcutta and Lahore made these centers as major movie centers before 1947. After 1947 movie industry was shifted to Mumbai with almost all Punjabi's of Lahore movie industry shifting over to Mumbai. Many muslim music/movie actor/singers/etc also decided to stay at Mumbai (Dilip Kumar, Mohammad Rafi, etc).

Jaddanbai (Nargis's mother) was a classic tawaif (singer dancer) and one wealthy punjabi named Mohanchand Uttamchand Tyagi alias Mohan Babu), was originally a wealthy Mohyal Brahmin from punjab converted to islam to marry Jaddanbai and Nargis was their daughter.

So! and then later Sunil Dutt marries Nargis.

Indrad
BGR Oldie
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:37 pm

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by Indrad » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:24 am


upcoming film Soorma is based on Sandeep Singh's life. Seems to be interesting...was reading Sandeep was able to generate 150 kmph in his flicks often hence was called Flicker Singh.

Shankar Ehsaan Loy are doing wonderful job!!
Keeping political idea of film aside even music of Razi was class apart!

Soorma has catchy power packed anthem with good melody.

Indrad
BGR Oldie
Posts: 725
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:37 pm

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by Indrad » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:28 am

actually i had chance to interact with SEL recently on google hang out...that guy Ehsaan Noorani is the powerhouse of talent and brings a lot of ideas to the trio...just to name a few ....Mitwa (KHNH) was actually composed based on his guitar riff and many other songs...Loy Mendosa is they punch behind many songs like its the time to disco et al...he is very talented.
But Shankar Mahadevan with his vocals and dominating presence gets away with all the accolades.

sbajwa
BGR Member
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:49 pm

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by sbajwa » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:01 pm

Indrad wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:24 am

upcoming film Soorma is based on Sandeep Singh's life. Seems to be interesting...was reading Sandeep was able to generate 150 kmph in his flicks often hence was called Flicker Singh.

Shankar Ehsaan Loy are doing wonderful job!!
Keeping political idea of film aside even music of Razi was class apart!

Soorma has catchy power packed anthem with good melody.
Even as Sandeep Singh came back from injury but earlier a much better drag flicker named Jugraj Singh (younger Brother of Rajbir Kaur who used to play hockey for India) was much better player. He was driving in his maruti trying to save a rickshaw went into a wall. He is some sort of defensive coach now.

Post Reply