Indian Movies Thread

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
Vayutuvan
BGR Newbie

Re: Indian Movies Thread

Post by Vayutuvan » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:34 am

srikumar wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:41 pm
... Given that she represents GOI (in some manner of speaking), this is shameful.
srikumar ji, how so? She is a UN ambassador of peace or whatever they call these kaThputlee actresses/actors, but what is her locus standi as a representative of India?

Am I missing something obvious here?

morem
BGR Newbie

Post by morem » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:05 am

Primus wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:51 pm
Anybody seen 'Sacred Games'? It's out on Netflix, a full season of it, with Saif Ali Khan as an honest Sikh cop in Mumbai and a character playing Gaitonde, a criminal mastermind.
And the villian will be a hindu guru planning a nuclear explosion in mumbai. I read the book in 2006 but only now can see how far out the planning of BIF is.
This is the same as Priyanka Chopra and hindu terror.

Chandragupta
BGR Member

Post by Chandragupta » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:07 am

morem wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:05 am
Primus wrote:
Anybody seen 'Sacred Games'? It's out on Netflix, a full season of it, with Saif Ali Khan as an honest Sikh cop in Mumbai and a character playing Gaitonde, a criminal mastermind.
And the villian will be a hindu guru planning a nuclear explosion in mumbai. I read the book in 2006 but only now can see how far out the planning of BIF is.
This is the same as Priyanka Chopra and hindu terror.
Few bits and pieces -
Gaitonde not only relishes murder and destruction but also dabbles in filmmaking, works closely with Indian intelligence, and gets involved in a Hindu extremist plan to detonate a nuclear bomb in Bombay and provoke India into a suicidal war with Pakistan.
In India, Hindus demolish
Muslim's masjids in riots. Muslims are very few in India, so to take the revenge they
explode the bombs in crowded cities in which the children, women and innocent
people become the victims. In Sacred Games, the Hindus demolish the mosque of
Muslims and it takes the place of great communal riot.
The book (and series) not only do a India==Pakistan but also justified Muslim terrorism by saying 'oh the muslims are so few so how will they avenge the brutalities of the evil hindus'.

I have not seen the series mainly because I got to know it was written by Vikram Chandra and that that buffoon Radhika Apte was in it. But it goes way deeper.

Many people I know are lapping it up and will go around town doing nonsensical equal-equal.

Primus
Forum Moderator

Post by Primus » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:11 am

^ and I guess having Saif Ali Khan (of the infamous Taimur fame) playing a Sikh cop gives it legitimacy.

Shakuni
BGR Newbie

Post by Shakuni » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:52 am

Primus wrote:
I saw the whole first season. Without saying it, the implication is that of Hindus conducting a false flag operation.
The guiding hand behind the attack that is being alluded to, is a Guru of some sort, whose end time rhetoric is more apt coming from a Shia Cleric or a Pat Robertson wannabe than a Hindu guru. This series, along with that stupid harlot Priyanka Chopra's Quantico representation is setting us up for a massive "Hindu Terror" campaign.

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:05 pm

another upcoming film based on 'not all muslims are terrorists' and terrorism has no religion. For sure there would be hidden nuggets in the film like farzi encounter of a muslim, a fraud pandit...check this out....

Chandragupta
BGR Member

Post by Chandragupta » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:57 am

All these female actors have already done halala with powerful Muslims in Bhaiwood and owe their careers to them. The only thing they see that will take their careers higher if the continue Mullah appeasement and toe the line of the 'Idea of India' crowd. Now it is upto us if we want to put our hard earned money into the pockets of these Hindu hater bastards.

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:59 pm

i often ask friends who goes to cinema hall to watch these movies...

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:14 pm

scene from sacred games

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:09 pm

only in India a non Hindu can mock Hindus like this and get away...^!
Acc to narrative, Shah Bano was given justice by court, reversed by Rajeev Gandhi, this was criticized by Hindus, to keep them quiet Govt got Ramayan started on TV and Hindus got hooked to religion(!)...
har tareeke se galti Hindu ki hai!

ParGha
BGR Newbie

Post by ParGha » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:25 pm

The book was good, but the Netflix series was weak and cowardly. Two of the most interesting characters in the book are the mentor/mentee pair of KD Yadav and Anjali Mathur (played by Radhika Apte on TV), but half the pair was dropped and the other half warped badly.

FWIW Yadav's story starts with the Chinese betrayal of Nehru, and KD's three decades of shadow wars to protect and preserve Nehru's ideals (including the Khalistan insurgency where Anjali's father is killed, and Mumbai gang wars). Without that background, Anjali's character is reduced to constantly whining about sexism and bureaucracy. In the book, there was no bureaucracy before 1963... and she is a PhD in History and the only one intellectually capable of piecing together Yadav's memory / secret history of modern India.

The Netflix series makers, no doubt scared $#!+less of Chinese reaction to their "global debut" and swift retaliation if they called out the Chinese betrayal of the Panchsheel, dropped KD's story completely and reduced AM to a joke. Net result (pun intended) = an unnecessarily drawn-out Mumbai gangland flick with delusions of grandeur, forgetable in comparison to "Ab Tak Chappan", "Satya", "Company" etc of that genre.

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:55 pm

Indrad wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:05 pm
another upcoming film based on 'not all muslims are terrorists' and terrorism has no religion. For sure there would be hidden nuggets in the film like farzi encounter of a muslim, a fraud pandit...check this out....
pliss to share that the film doing equal equal between India & Pk and holding India responsible for lack of piss process has been banned in Pakistan.

Primus
Forum Moderator

Post by Primus » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:45 pm

Anybody seen Uri? Is it too much jingoism or is it realistic? I loved Border and then LOC, but thought they had too much sentimentality and unnecessary songs and such.

Vikas
BGR Member

Post by Vikas » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:56 am

So now Raju Hirani gets accused of sexual misconduct. This #MeToo is slowly swallowing all and one.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:07 pm

Vikas wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:56 am
So now Raju Hirani gets accused of sexual misconduct. This #MeToo is slowly swallowing all and one.

these creeps see it as a natural perk of their profession.

Mostly, they pimp and procure for the malsi bhais from across the border financing them and maybe, occasionally, partake of a snack themselves, every now and then.

this desperado must have either tried to partake the wrong snack or most probably, someone else's snack.

what does not surface is the rampant exploitation of the poor "extras", both male and female by lower level filmi hierarchy.

these poor and unfortunate "extras", both male and female, simply do not have a voice to speak out.

Vikas
BGR Member

Post by Vikas » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:20 am

^After PK, I had no respect left for Raju Hirani.
That women are sexually exploited/raped/molested in Bhaiwood is given and not surprising. Surprise is when someone speaks about it.
If one believes the account of all #MeToo survivors, it feels like as if top layer of Indian Socio-Cultural-Entertainment ecosystem is just a huge orgy with men trying to screw anyone with breasts and vagina. How much of it is sour grapes or sleeping with the wrong guy or making noise gets you 15 min of fame is yet to be ascertained.

Those who got lucky slept with the right A-lister on their way up while the failed ones could not even get the right person to sleep with.

You are absolutely right about exploitation at the lower rungs. No one talks about the background dancers and junior artists on how they are sexually exploited from the top dog to low level hanger-ons of Hero/director.

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:24 pm

Primus wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:45 pm
Anybody seen Uri? Is it too much jingoism or is it realistic? I loved Border and then LOC, but thought they had too much sentimentality and unnecessary songs and such.
Uri film is at another level and getting rave reviews from sane people. As far librandus r concerned they watch swara bhaskar.
Uri setting tone for new India
https://www.mynation.com/entertainment/ ... har-pfrai2

even fence sitters and non motivated types (NOTArds) r shaken by shock & awe of the film, its rush of adrenaline type sleek army action movie which are hard to come by in India.

Im travelling 100 miles this weekend to see this film.

Primus
Forum Moderator

Post by Primus » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:39 pm

Indrad wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:24 pm

Im travelling 100 miles this weekend to see this film.

Thanks Indra Ji

It is running in our area - only about 20 miles away, just have to convince SHQ to see it with me. Difficult task as she knows I never see Hindi movies in theaters generally, and she ends up going with her girl friends, so the boot is on the other foot now ;)

fanne
BGR Member

Post by fanne » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:26 am

I saw the movie twice (First Friday and 2nd Friday), both time by US standard the crowd was good. Even the second time, I was at the edge of my seat, same suspense, only that second time I found my self praying that one tragedy does not happen (please do not fall in the booby trap). It is intense and great movie (dare I say better than zero dark thirty). You do not have to be BR or Inidan or a Jingo to like it, but if you are, and not seen it, you are missing BIG!!
Ps - I do not see movie twice. Last time it was Bahubali 1, only because first version was in Telgu and later one was in Hindi (and I do not speak Telgu)

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:18 pm

Uri will cross 100 Crore at Box Office by EOD. First block buster of 2019 which does not feature any of the khans or Kapoors...

The amount of burnol it is creating at liberal quarters is evident by this comment at NDTV's article:
Uri: The Surgical Strike opened to mixed reviews at the box office. In his review for NDTV, film critic Saibal Chatterjee gave the film 2 stars out of 5 and wrote: "But for the presence of Vicky Kaushal... Uri: The Surgical Strike would have been a complete washout. It gets two stars - one for its technical sheen, the other for the male lead."

Sridhar k
BGR Newbie

Post by Sridhar k » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:42 pm

I saw Uri in Chennai today with members of my family who don't understand Hindi. They all loved the movie more than me. The hall was full but the emotion was lower in Chennai, perhaps due to not knowing Hindi and the rest of the Hindi speaking crowd was more DCH types. Should have been dubbed in all Indian languages or at least have sub titles.

vinod
BGR Newbie

Post by vinod » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:25 pm

Saw "Andhadhun" on Netflix. Its brilliant movie.. First half is superb, second half gets a bit lost. Nevertheless excellent movie.

Anshuman's other move.. Badhai Ho is also very good. He seems to be on a roll now.

Primus
Forum Moderator

Post by Primus » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:11 am

Finally managed to see Uri today with SHQ, it was sold out in our area for the weekend.

Very slick movie, well acted, well directed, great cinematography and action sequences though could have been a bit more tensely scripted. What is amazing is that even though it comes across as fiction - none of the soldiers were killed - we know it is all factual and true. That in itself is mind boggling. The movie has just the right amount of sentimentality, brought a tear to my eye many a time, SHQ admitted afterwards that she cried - she never does, so that is another amazing thing from my pov.

All in all, worth seeing, especially for all of us jingos. Those who are panning this are clearly either Pakis or politically opposed to the BJP.

BTW, anybody seen the other one - TAPM? Heard it has received many bad reviews.

PS. This is the first Hindi movie I have gone to a theater to see in over 15 yrs, we all need to do our bit guys.

Schmidt
BGR Newbie

Post by Schmidt » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:38 am

Uri - was the 72 hoor dialogue included in the movie ?

Am scheduled to watch it on Feb 1st at my club

Couldn't get tickets at cinemas before that anyway

Vikas
BGR Member

Post by Vikas » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:38 am

Schmidt wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:38 am
Uri - was the 72 hoor dialogue included in the movie ?

Am scheduled to watch it on Feb 1st at my club

Couldn't get tickets at cinemas before that anyway
It was altered to 'Bhaiyo' instead of hoor.
Only if they had kept reference to 72 :)