Non-Indian Films discussion thread...

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
Vayutuvan
BGR Newbie

Re: Non-Indian Films discussion thread...

Post by Vayutuvan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:41 pm

shiv wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:12 pm
OK - that's a good list - should keep me going for a few weeks.
Try Pleasant Ville. Not easy to categorize it. It is part in B&W then B&W and color mixed, and finally becomes fully color. The B&W to color transition is linked to the plot itself. Nicely done and quirky movie. It has one of my favorite actors - William H. Macy. Tobey McGuire and Jeff Bridges are great too.

Vayutuvan
BGR Newbie

Post by Vayutuvan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:48 pm

shiv wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:39 am
My brain is as great as the movies I select. I wanted to watch D-Day but typed Normandy. Normandy is turning out to be a B-Grade movie..
Have you watched The Longest Day? That is a classic - B&W.

----

Opinions on "A Thin Red Line"? It came out at about the same time as Platoon and supposed to be better than Platoon. Platoon got all the attention though due to the cast.

(Added later: The Thin Red Line) Cast lineup is superb for this movie as well. From Wikipedia:

"It co-stars Nick Nolte, Adrien Brody, George Clooney, John Cusack, Woody Harrelson, Elias Koteas, Jared Leto, John C. Reilly, and John Travolta". Wowzy!

Vayutuvan
BGR Newbie

Post by Vayutuvan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:57 pm

Wild Wild West is a comedic steam punk western SF.

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:19 pm

From an old Zack Synder's interview:
"My mother saw I was into this comic called Heavy Metal magazine, so she got me a subscription. You could call it ”high-brow” comics, but to me, that comic book was just pretty sexy! I had a buddy who tried getting me into ”normal” comic books, but I was all like, ”No one is having $ex or killing each other. This isn’t really doing it for me.” I was a little broken, that way. So when Watchmen came along, I was, ”This is more my scene.”
WB thought, let us have this guy direct movies about some of our most iconic hopeful Superheroes. And in the meanwhile, they are carrying on with Flashpoint movie (Yes...it does provide DCEU/WB as a means of a soft reboot but the premise itself is so dark) and Suicide Squad 2 is still on slate (WB still hopes of packaging the concept of SS similar to MCU's GoGT...a bunch of loveable misfits/outlaws who will band together to save the day).

Meanwhile SW:TLJ is sitting on a 94% RT rating as I type.

Sicanta
BGR Newbie

Post by Sicanta » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:41 am

Since Disney is out for fox, we may well see x men with avengers in future. As for last Jedi, I really hope Luke Skywalker as a character is treated with respect and Disney does not run it's knives all over the prequels.

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:39 am

Certainly not in A4. Already too many characters and not enough time to properly introduce X-Men in to A4. Besides principal shooting for A4 to be wrapped by end of Jan 2018. What is more exciting is that MCU will have access to Fantastic Four & some good really characters (Silver Surfer) and villain (Galactus). He could be the next major villain in the next phase or so. With rumours of Adam Warlock being introduced in GoGT Vol.3...it will be interesting to see. What's more interesting will be how long will these comic book movies can ride on the BO wave.

Dude, from what I've read so far, SW TLJ is very a well executed on-screen but prepared to be disappointed on the story or characters growth front. Apparently, Disney has made a very good popcorn flick for the kids from which they want to make a Billion $ plus.

Spoilers: TLJ plot is a mix of ESB & ROTJ.

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:05 am

OK folks. Here it is...a good copy of JL's first 3 mins of opening sequence. My god that awful upper lip/chin CGI of Superman. I am pissed at WB for the needing the reshoots but I am equally pissed at Tom Cruise/Paramount for not allowing Henry to shave. I mean how hard it is not to add a fake mustache+beard vs the bubble gum lip we got at JL. Per a person who was part of the JL reshoots VFX, WB did runs of clean shaven Henry with CGI beard+mustache and showed it to Paramount that it works. Apparently, even WB was willing to foot the bill for extra CGI for MI-6 and Paramount said "Nope" due to pettiness. All of it could be his view of course and thus totally subjective...but still pissed off. Totally not watching MI-6.

Also the Gotham scene is pretty good except for the back flip.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6bmr5m

Sicanta
BGR Newbie

Post by Sicanta » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:12 am

Boring to a huge extent, except for some pieces is TLJ. You were totally right about it being a popcorn flick only. And as I feared, no respect for Luke's character

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:05 am

I think I will pass on watching this movie at theatre and just wait for the Bluray to drop. My cousin is a big SW fan and unless she sponsors a ticket for me :)

But what a let down on Luke's character. I don't have a problem with his outcome but what bothers me is the way that outcome came about. Literally it was like what one person said "battery drain". Supreme Leader Snoke was not developed...so was not Capt. Phasma. What about Knights of Ren? Many fans are upset with Disney ruining the SW brand...making it more kid friendly. I wonder what the critics saw to give it such a high RT rating*. The fans/audience are less enthused and are giving less rating compared to JL :))

And that brings me to the official announcement of 52B $ acquisition of Fox by Disney. I bet we will never see another R-rated brilliant movie like Logan. Also the upcoming New Mutants movie in 2018 will be the last before Disney/MCU/Kevin Fiege decides that future of X-Men will be based on what they imagine as. Supposedly, Deadpool will continue to remain R-rated for the near future. It will be more important for Deadpool 2 to make a ton of money in June 2018 to show Disney that they still got it. One aspect I am genuinely excited about is the MCU treatment of Fantastic Four.

Around 40% of Star Network in India will be part of Disney. Also Avatar franchise will now be in hands of Disney. They may not mess around with James Cameron as his movies brings in loads & loads of money.

But the main reason for this acquisition was to get more content for streaming services as a rival against Netflix. Apple is entering streaming services next year.

I do hope that Disney will maintain an adult content arm alive and not make everything kids or G oriented.

*: Disney will own apparently 40% of Domestic BO share with the acquisition of FOX. What it means is more giant corporations and more domination wrt to rules etc. If Critics piss off Disney, it will be easier for these corporations to start making them irrelevant in future. Similar thing with theatres or any services associated with them. But as a consumer the future will be interesting.

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:02 pm

One of the most stupid scenes has to be of SuperLeia (Leia flying using the "force"). I don't know what Rian was thinking. It seems like no character development takes place wrt Rey apart from a brief mention of her parentage (which in retrospect could be a ruse to mess up her judgement). Unless in Ep 9 which as of now is slated to be directed by RJ again; plans to explore some of them questions in detail, Ep 8 was poorly conceived.

No wonder initial reports mentioned that Mark Hamill was no happy with the direction his character was taking. Also per leaks, a scene involving Knights of Ren along with Kylo visit Ahch-To & Luke kicks a$$ sending them retreating...it seems like that scene did not make the movie. Would have been so cool to watch Luke the Jedi master in action.

As it stands now, review score on RT stands at 66% (JL stands at 80%).

Sicanta
BGR Newbie

Post by Sicanta » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:22 pm

65% now. Wow. May very well have a rotten score from public. For me everything else was pardonable but not what they did with luke. It was a total letdown and i guess hamill was right for airing his doubts about this, as you pointed out.

That bit about yoda telling luke about still looking to future instead of concentrating at present, from ESB, may have had a different purpose to disney but it ended up showing as luke having not grown at all from his time in ESB , or rather go back since i used to think, rather naively now, that luke had learned his lesson and succesfully applied in ROTJ.

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:12 pm

One hilarious comment:
Considering Force ghosts can now interact with the environment, a short film should have ended this useless trilogy before it began:

Anakin and Yoda visit Kylo and Snoke, Yoda lights Snoke on fire while he's sleeping, Anakin pulls the tantrum thrower by the ear and drags him home.

The End.

ricky
BGR Newbie

Post by ricky » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:20 pm

Watched Netflixs dark,a German original with English subs about time travel, similar to stranger things in the beginning but is treated differently, excellent cinematography, nice music, good acting. though writing is loose in a couple of places.extremely bingeworthy.

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:22 am

SW TLJ was boring. Poor character development and ruined everything developed from The Force Awakens. RT has it at 57% now. So far it has been a stinker for the last several big films. Ragnarok was setup like a comedy when it had the potential to do so much more. JL was a turd and seemed to be a plot copy from the first Avengers, and now SW TLJ. 0/3.

Spiderman Homecoming was the last good big budget special effects film.

shiv
BGR Newbie

Post by shiv » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:13 am

Vayutuvan wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:48 pm
shiv wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:39 am
My brain is as great as the movies I select. I wanted to watch D-Day but typed Normandy. Normandy is turning out to be a B-Grade movie..
Have you watched The Longest Day? That is a classic - B&W.
:lol: I watched it when it was originally released - in the 60s. Didn't understand a word. Tried again in the 80s . Will try yet again.

Speaking of movies that I did not understand as a kid but enjoyed greatly later - Dr. Zhivago was one.

Shandilya
BGR Newbie

Post by Shandilya » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:46 pm

In Pursuit of Honor

Based on a true story. In 1932 with the WW2 looming on the horizon the great amrikhan wanted to transition his gengiskhanish cavalry to tank battalion. Envious of german, eatlee, and japani tank battalion numbers, general macarthur ordered the shooting of 500+ healthy horses in order to prepare the army for upcoming war. greatkhan did not want to pay for the feed and upkeep of the said horses who fought alongside soldiers (against mehecans and other injuns, and also historically in ww1, etc) and saved many a lives. So some cavalry soldiers risked their lives and career for the respect to the horses who fought with them in their battles, and defying orders make a dash with them with the only tank battalion (in 1932 amerikhan had only 8 tanks) in hot pursuit with orders to now also kill this men along with the horses if they resisted capture.

Vayutuvan
BGR Newbie

Post by Vayutuvan » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:23 am

shiv wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:13 am
Speaking of movies that I did not understand as a kid but enjoyed greatly later - Dr. Zhivago was one.
Yet to watch Dr. Zhivago. Both - The longest day and Dr. Z - were my dad's favorites. I saw TLD only after my dad passed away. B&W but as you say, did not understand why it was such a big deal for my dad. Probably it is because it is to distant in time for me where as the cold war era is what I lived through and hence I like Le Carre, Helen MacInnes, Ludlum (iffy), Clancy, et al. both the book and the movie form.

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:17 pm

It is amazing how b**thurt the low audience scores of the recent SW TLJ has been. Disney has attributed it to trolls creating fake accounts and giving low scores. Critics who gave a high praise for the movie are now having to justify their choice and in-turn put down the audience. Some low starred comments contained or expressed displeasure with Disney being more inclusive (read more women and diversity folks in SW universe) and thus ruining the OT mostly White men canon and now libtards are accusing myopic crazy right wingers of giving low scores. SW fans are accusing DCEU fans down voting SW as a way of getting back to Disney.

While it is possible for trolls to create fake RT accounts and give negative reviews, it could of numbering a few thousands. As it stands now, there are approx 128K audience votes/reviews and avg is around 3.2/5.0 with a score of 54%. Most of hardcore folks who like this movie do not want to accept that it is a bad movie with little or no character development, completely disrespects the previously established SW principles & characters and overall generally "Disneyfi" (add humour where it is not necessary and generally tone the movies towards kids) Star Wars.

The first time you watch the movie, the visual splendour, CGI, score (although generic in this one and nothing outstanding), action scenes will captivate the audience. Once those sheen wear off and on the 2nd watch, you think about character arcs and start noticing the severe plot holes & some of the aspects that are mentioned above.

Anyways, Rian Johnson says that BR release will have additional around 25-30 minutes of additional footage...nothing that will add significant to the plot but Disney felt it would serve as slowing down in a theatrical cut. The BR should drop around April end.

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:51 pm

Saw Dag 2. Pretty good watch. Compels me to watch Dag (part 1) as well

Vayutuvan
BGR Newbie

Post by Vayutuvan » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:09 am

SW has run out of steam looong back. Why are they beating this dead horse? Still it is impressive that Lucas can squeeze a $1 billion from the suckers. Reminds of the PT Barnum's quote "There is a sucker born every minute" (or something to that effect).

ricky
BGR Newbie

Post by ricky » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:45 am

The fifth or sixth sw had a planet full of f@cking teddy bears, we are long past the "kiddification.
Even gems such as missa jar jar, the annoying dimwit turned senator representative(?) have been long present.

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:43 pm

Man, gotta hand it to Mark Hamill. What a class act...even though he was not happy with the character arc of Luke in SW TLJ, he was a thorough professional and provided his best. He did not phone-in his acting at all...

Saw TLJ for the 2nd time earlier today. Second time in, I felt like the movie had its moments. I think there are a lot of similarities between Zack Synder & Rian Johnson (RJ directed the awesome Looper though...can't say anything similarly great about Synder). I think both directors are more visual in nature...SW TJL was a visual spectacle...but the pacing was off.

How I wish Capt. Phasma had more than 5 min screen time. During the promos, they hyped up her character so much by bringing in Gwendoline Christie along and what a disappointment. That entire use laser axe thing was so unnecessary. I think JJ will find a way to bring her back in during Ep 9.

The entire act of Finn-Rose was not necessary. Severe plot holes issue...Gen. Holdo character (not sure if her character exists in the large SW comics canon) was entirely not necessary.

Of course, the biggest disappointment is the way they ended Luke's character. This Luke is not the Luke we know. Yes, it has been 30 years or whatever and people can change. I get what RJ was trying to do...to show a more realistic character portrayal of various characters i.e. deconstruct them and show that they have their flaws as well...but the execution was shoddy & somehow it is more off putting then accepting. Still wish Luke would have gone a big light sabre fight (even though his disappearance would mimic that of Old Ben)...that would have been a satisfying, justified & dignified departure for his character (as a person).

The scene where Luke sees R2 and R2 plays the clip of the Young Princess Leia asking for help from Old Ben, man that scene tore me up. R2 & Luke have been through together right from the beginning...it was almost a coincidence that young Luke purchased R2D2 back in ANH. Similarly, the scene where Luke winks at C3PO before walking out of the base had a similar effect.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:31 am

Watched “the conspiracy” and despite knowing most of what’s to know, it was chilling to watch.

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:06 pm

Watched Bright on Netflix. Movie is directed by David Ayer, same one who directed Suicide Squad and the brilliant End of Watch. Man...I still can't take my eyes off from End of Watch even during reruns. So well directed movie. The camaraderie between Jake Gyllenhaal & Micheal Pena is riveting.

Bright follows similar narrative...a LAPD buddy cop movie. Premise is that humans are co-existing with Orcs, Elfs, Dwarfes & even Dragons in the current time and Bright follows the sequence of events between a human cop & LAPD's first Orc cop. The human cop is played by Will Smith & Orc by Joel Edgerton. IMO, Joel Edgerton portrays the Orc character really well...so believable that he is actually an orc. Will Smith is OK.

The movie is good but not riveting. Does not have the tempo of End of Watch. Apparently, the movie is adopted from a comic book. Seems like the writer decided to hold off on some major reveals for a sequel if given a GO.

The critics did not like the movie...one critic mentioned that since Netflix made the critics watch the movie in a theatre instead of the Netflix's Prime Critic page, somehow it put that individual off. Again the divide between critics & fans are showing just like TLJ. Most people like Bright and consider it as a well done movie.

I don't think the critics have sold themselves to Disney but I do think that critics go easy on Disney productions...probably because Disney now accounts for 30% of US Box Office and it is easy for Disney to start making critics irrelevant.

Shandilya
BGR Newbie

Post by Shandilya » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:37 pm

I found Bright a total waste of time, with usual bladderdash of fantasy, magic, and make-belief. Like you said it was not riveting. I think it turned out to be total crap because lot of verbal references to historical events made without giving the viewer any visual insights. It ended up being very confusing to watch. Netflix is trying to do a Devgan riding two fast moving cars with one foot on each roof. They should stick to their more money making format of 10 episodes per season with several seasons to keep the money flowing, opposed to step into movie making business with flops.