Phone, Tablet & Gizmo Thread

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
BhairavP
BGR Newbie

Re: Phone, Tablet & Gizmo Thread

Post by BhairavP » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:08 pm

Nice! We're running the free Jio broadband trial, must say it is quite fast even when downloading through Steam and Netflixing.

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:03 am

trump tricks works! appil to pay $38b taxes and still go for another campus open to 25k jobs. man! what will they do?

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:51 am

Desis are Xiaomi lovers.

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:04 am

Vyoman @saikanomie wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:03 am
trump tricks works! appil to pay $38b taxes and still go for another campus open to 25k jobs. man! what will they do?
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/04/28/compani ... rseas.html

of this 2.6 trillion if he can shake the tree and make corporates bring back 1 trillion, and reinvest in america, it will create lakhs of good quality jobs for sure. the proposition should be simple enough - either die under chinese boots with no gotus protection or come back to fortress america where the chinese will be kept out of critical sectors so you can continue to make money in bags and we will back you global business to the hilt.

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:54 am

Trump security team sees building U.S. 5G network as option

This is really unheard of in the US. Government building infrastructure that it controls? Presumably to lock out the Chicoms. If this is so, the contracts to US companies exclusively may be a boon.

arshyam
BGR Member

Post by arshyam » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:02 am

^^ Aren't there WTO restrictions on blocking countries? If the US can fight India on solar panels, why couldn't the Chinese do the same w.r.t. US telecom policy?

ArjunPandit
BGR Newbie

Post by ArjunPandit » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:25 am

i am thinking of buying a home theater system in the range of $1500 in US. two options caught my eye
1. Bose lifestyle 135 and
2. Combination of bose soundtouch 300, acoustimass 300 and invisible rear speakers (not a proper home theatre)
I will be taking that back to india later in the year as well, but finding the connectivity issues in bose really bad. They do not have FM (which in india is very helpful to stay up to date on music), and non bt connectivity to other devices

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:13 am

ArjunPandit wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:25 am
i am thinking of buying a home theater system in the range of $1500 in US. two options caught my eye
2. Combination of bose soundtouch 300, acoustimass 300 and invisible rear speakers (not a proper home theatre)
I will be taking that back to india later in the year as well, but finding the connectivity issues in bose really bad. They do not have FM (which in india is very helpful to stay up to date on music), and non bt connectivity to other devices
Home Theater and Home Automation are going to merge in a few years. HT is based upon properly decoding the Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound. For $1500 USD you may not find what you really desire and speaker systems such as Apple's Home Pod or Google Home or Home Max don't decode surround sound.

I think what you're looking for is something like a HT system in a box. Budget of $1500. I would look at Onkyo, Pioneer and Denon. If you're taking it back to India, see what is involved to operate the receiver at 220V/50Hz.

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:16 am

arshyam wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:02 am
^^ Aren't there WTO restrictions on blocking countries? If the US can fight India on solar panels, why couldn't the Chinese do the same w.r.t. US telecom policy?
A 5G network built upon the need for national security and then spectrum leased to wireless carriers. I don't think there would be any WTO restrictions.

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:56 am

Sammy is thinking about foldable phones.. I'd say, if they focus on getting fingerprint anywhere on the front screen, they would do a great service to mobile computing and security 2FA security. They did float the idea, but better get it out before appil does.

And this >1000 bucks phone are insanity. no phones should exceed 500 bucks

V J
BGR Newbie

Post by V J » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:08 am

V J
BGR Newbie

Post by V J » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:25 pm

CIA, FBI, NSA and several other intelligence agencies caution against buying Huawei & ZTE

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/13/chinas- ... -away.html

Raja
Forum Moderator

Post by Raja » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:08 pm

Vyoman @saikanomie wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:56 am
Sammy is thinking about foldable phones.. I'd say, if they focus on getting fingerprint anywhere on the front screen, they would do a great service to mobile computing and security 2FA security. They did float the idea, but better get it out before appil does.

And this >1000 bucks phone are insanity. no phones should exceed 500 bucks
Having fingerprint sensing everywhere on the screen is probably not as useful as it sounds. Based on ergonomics studies on finger reach, they can perhaps provide an in-display fingerprint sensor in 5 places under the display so that you can hold and authenticate using one hand onlee. That is already possible today but its expensive so its restricted to 1 x in-display fingerprint sensor onlee like the Vivo phone. And that works quite well in practice for most grips.

Face ID should be the natural way to authenticate inside a car (Fruit developed it originally for the Fruit gaddi) but the UX flow for mobile is very clunky right now. And in mobile you can't have the VCSEL turned on all the time either even if gated by a longer range proximity sensor due to battery life concerns. But you can do that in a car.

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:03 am

ArjunPandit wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:25 am
Sir why not consider separate components like a pre-power amp combo and speakers. $1500 to $2000 can give you the invisible look and sound with separates too. Bose build and sound quality has gone down since the 90s. I guess the 301s were their last master piece. Barring the QC headphones, sound link and a handfull of portable sound options Bose hasn't delivered on its brand name apart from some DSP gimmicks. May be go for a comparison between the separates and Bose before you finalize.

V J
BGR Newbie

Post by V J » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:13 pm

V J
BGR Newbie

Post by V J » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:20 pm

V J
BGR Newbie

Post by V J » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:33 pm

iPhone SE 2 to come in May with A10 Fusion chipset

https://www.gsmarena.com/iphone_se_2_to ... -30647.php

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:34 pm

help me pls
I am looking for a 14 in laptop
-with i5 processor
-long battery life
-decent speed
-wifi compatible

this is for reading articles at work place. One I carry from home is big and heavy. I intend to leave a laptop for use at workplace in locker.
any suggestions?

Ashish Raval
BGR Newbie

Post by Ashish Raval » Mon May 07, 2018 9:00 pm

Why do you need laptop to read articles at workplace? Unless you obviously not want to give away that you are reading articles at workplace :twisted: :facepalm:

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Mon May 07, 2018 9:21 pm

these are articles from professional journals and we are supposed to spend professional sessions for development at work place, so far I was dependent on print outs, with your note book you can make notes or presentations for teaching as well.
Question is past expiry as one laptop is in.

Ashish Raval
BGR Newbie

Post by Ashish Raval » Sun May 13, 2018 6:44 am

Ok. In that case you can simply use a tablet isn't it? Using word and Excel is possible but if you want latex to write papers then you will need a light laptop. Back in days when I developed neck pain by carrying huge dell laptop; I brought IBM x40 which was lightest thing I could find 15 years back. I am sure there plenty good stuff now out there. Lenovo does not make very rugged laptops like IBM did since the acquisition I must admit.

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Wed May 16, 2018 4:15 am

Redmi has captured the low end of the smartphone market by offering good fit n finish and good RAM + ok processor Snap 4xx/6xx at the 7k-12k band.
from Redmi Y upto the Android1 Redmi A1 there is hardly any credible contender offering similar soothing glass and metal combos.

micromax, lava, xolo etc seem to have vanished....they are seen nowadays only in retail shops in low income areas :facepalm: its game over for them ?

vivo and oppo are giving a tough fight to samsung in the midrange phones upto 25k.

only in the above 25k segment where people are more brand conscious and want a durable piece do apple, samsung, oneplus have a somewhat free playing field. this segment imo is where apple has made deep inroads among elite women and itvity munnas, with a rebel faction going for one+ .... samsung is suffering due to the high cost of its galaxy S line and very high cost of the new galaxy note. they should intro a value priced product for 30k based off the old successful note3 and note4 :oops:

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:38 am

anyone here working on NER & semantic relation extraction ? would be glad for a few pointers towards open applications/libraries I can play with.

P.S not sure if this is the correct thread through. didn't we have a dedicated SW thread on GDF or am I getting old ? :oops:

arshyam
BGR Member

Post by arshyam » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:09 pm

Just found out that the Nokia smartphones being sold in India (3,5,6,7 and 8 series) are all "Made in India". Pleasant surprise.

Something to keep in mind if anyone is looking to buy a new device.

Triank
BGR Member

Post by Triank » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:00 am

arshyam wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:09 pm
Just found out that the Nokia smartphones being sold in India (3,5,6,7 and 8 series) are all "Made in India". Pleasant surprise.

Something to keep in mind if anyone is looking to buy a new device.
even the xiaomi phones are same. I think they were the first to start making/assembling (whatever) their phones in India. its said that their chennai factory has more than 90% of its manufacturing staff as women.