Phone, Tablet & Gizmo Thread

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
Raja
Forum Moderator

Re: Phone, Tablet & Gizmo Thread

Post by Raja » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:59 pm

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/29/167 ... te-conduct

Going by this logic, why is Sergey Brin still associated with Google?? :?

Marten
BGR Member

Post by Marten » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:42 pm

Because Amanda is crazy hot but not crazy enough to bring about allegations against either Hugo or Sergei.

RB, what if a nanha or nanhi pulls this against you?

Raja
Forum Moderator

Post by Raja » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:55 am

Er...why would she bring any charges against Hugo? The fella was her BF. Brin Baba was the one abusing his position. And Amanda (or whatever her name is, all I remember now is she is a chew from UKstan) wouldn’t even qualify as pretty forget crazy hot. Marten mullah I thought you had better taste! :-P

Vayutuvan
BGR Newbie

Post by Vayutuvan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:13 pm

Raja wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:46 pm
We don’t have cable or dish. All our TV watching is via the internets onlee. Among the mesh routers I found the ones from Eero to work the best and they have been working wonderfully for us with no complaints though their price is on the steeper side.
Bought Google Mesh three points. One point on each floor. Not bad. They have upgraded their firmware on Nov 23rd after number of complaints that subnet cannot be chosen. The subnet they assign is 192.168.86.x and no reservations for static. That was problem and I was about to return those puppies and get Ubiquity. But before I could do that my sysadmin came to my place and setup all the network and stuff along with a virtual cluster on my desktop for MPI development. I am good.

Vayutuvan
BGR Newbie

Post by Vayutuvan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:23 pm

Raja wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:01 pm
Fruit’s FaceID uses structured light which is a old known technology used in the first generation Kinect (by the same guys who did Fruit’s camera) and their rear camera is still inferior to what GB’s top end camera phones used to have back in 2010 - 7 years ago. The camera hardware improvements now take a backseat to massive improvements in computational photography.
Remember many years ago I bought Xbox with kinect for my kid? I don't know what use this kinect crap. I spent $700 for that Pos.

Vayutuvan
BGR Newbie

Post by Vayutuvan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:28 pm

Gus wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:41 pm
thought of note8 or pixel 2xl ...but those things are so expensive and all i do is read stuff, tweet now and then and youtube / podcast for timepass. all these features and stuff take time to learn and i am no longer excited to do those things.

maybe just settle for op5t. ironically their logo is "never settle" :lol:
Still using Samsung Galaxy 5. Bought it used pre-certified for $250 two years ago. No issues. I will be using it till it crashes and burns. My princess changed her phone three times and broke the screen a couple of times. My prince is not that much into phones. He likes Dell/Alienware and Steam games. So i got a hand-me-down Mac which I don't use at all. Linux desktop.

Vayutuvan
BGR Newbie

Post by Vayutuvan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:36 pm

Raja wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:06 am
There is no explicit download limit but I am sure they will throttle if one exceeds a certain amount or they detect torrent traffic. We have never faced issue with download speeds and I have the basic 25MBps connection - never felt the need to upgrade.
I have 100 Mbps download. Not bad considering beta is on Steam most of the time. That reminds me, I have to get him to work on his homework and stop playing.

Vayutuvan
BGR Newbie

Post by Vayutuvan » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:40 pm

BhairavP wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:55 am
- I have a 4TB external drive connected, and all my BD rips are piped through it to the receiver.
Received two 8 TB external USB drives today. Best buy had them on sale for $139 a piece only for Thursday. Not for my peonal use though. I don't know how to use all that much of HDD space. I can get all the latest bestest blue rays from the local public library
on rent $2/week. Just too much choice - not enough time.

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:47 am

Vayutuvan wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:23 pm
Raja wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:01 pm
Fruit’s FaceID uses structured light which is a old known technology used in the first generation Kinect (by the same guys who did Fruit’s camera) and their rear camera is still inferior to what GB’s top end camera phones used to have back in 2010 - 7 years ago. The camera hardware improvements now take a backseat to massive improvements in computational photography.
Remember many years ago I bought Xbox with kinect for my kid? I don't know what use this kinect crap. I spent $700 for that Pos.
I did too and then got an XBoX One S in the summer of 2016 for him. The older XBoX 360 is now collecting dust.

Vayutuvan
BGR Newbie

Post by Vayutuvan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:51 am

Mort, we are all put on a treadmill by our progeny. My princess says "yeah it is only five dollah" for anything and my prince says "you guys are too cheap".

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:56 am

^^^Yeah. When my teenage boy was 8 he said it's only $100 note. Just a 1 followed by a couple of zeros.:)

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:59 am

My son used to think money was free in atm so would grab his choice of car toys in shops. When i said no money he says daddy you can always press buttons in atm to get money why you lying?

One time i gave him some flora camlin pencils the best we used to have in school, he says its a “cheap brand” and wanted staedler lol. I pawed him down and told him camlin and faber castell were all he would get and he could get staedler when he started earning his ow money

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:44 am

^^^Give the boy some credit. At least he likes pencils for writing and drawing which is really good.

If you want to spend some serious money on wood pencils, look at the Palomino Blackwing at over $2/pencil which is what Disney animators use or Mitsubishi HB about $1/pencil. Buttery smooth writing with both and excellent erasers. I bought the Mitsubishi HB in packs of 12 for $8.50 per pack for Diwali for my kids and one extra pack for myself.

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:46 am

saar staedler here is also around 40-60 per pencil. looks like mitsubishi owns the uniball brand.

mitsu pencils cost 100/piece here it seems
https://www.amazon.in/Mitsubishi-Pencil ... shi+pencil

palomino f22 pencils at 300/p
https://www.amazon.in/Blackwing-Palomin ... ng+pencils

I have recently started using a classmate smoothie fountain pen and had my son use it to improve his variable handwriting in the subjects like geo, history, eng1, eng2, bio, chem,phy which involve a good amt of writing. will see this week once his unit test papers come back if it helped. the usual pilot tecpoint v5 and v7 and roritos he uses are small ball points and not amenable to the fine art and craft of good cursive writing. there is something about the feel, weight, balance and nib of a good fountain pen that is timeless - like a well made sword, bow, single malt, shotgun...it just feels right in the hand.

BhairavP
BGR Newbie

Post by BhairavP » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:02 am

Vayutuvan wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:40 pm
BhairavP wrote:
- I have a 4TB external drive connected, and all my BD rips are piped through it to the receiver.
Received two 8 TB external USB drives today. Best buy had them on sale for $139 a piece only for Thursday. Not for my peonal use though. I don't know how to use all that much of HDD space. I can get all the latest bestest blue rays from the local public library
Haha, send me one in India. I've been drooling over those damn things, no one in the US right now to bring them back.

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:55 pm

Singhaji,

Yes, Uni is Mitsubishi. Mitsubishi does sell pencils under its own name as Mitsubishi Pencil Company and has model 9850 HB made in Japan. Which is why it is expensive in India probably due to import duties.

For pens I am using Japan made Uni Jetstream Standard Ballpoint pen 0.7 mm. These are about $15 for a 10 pack. Excellent for kids in high school and college and yourself if you do writing. I pass them out to colleagues around Christmas time.

My next gadget purchase is going to be a slide rule for my high school kids. A retro purchase.

Marten
BGR Member

Post by Marten » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:03 am

BhairavP wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:02 am
Vayutuvan wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:40 pm
BhairavP wrote:
Haha, send me one in India. I've been drooling over those damn things, no one in the US right now to bring them back.
A week ago, if you had spoken up Saar, would have brought it along. Am heading out this week so it might not be possible to pick it up. :(

BhairavP
BGR Newbie

Post by BhairavP » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:23 pm

Oh man.
No worries, if you're able to get it, I'll take it off you.
Also, if someone else is returning anytime soon, do let me know, would be grateful.
Cheers.

Vayutuvan
BGR Newbie

Post by Vayutuvan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:51 pm

Cupertino rulez

RB and vina, narayana narayana.

If vina is not here then requesting Mort to pick up the gauntlet.

Vayutuvan
BGR Newbie

Post by Vayutuvan » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:54 pm

BhairavP wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:23 pm
Oh man.
No worries, if you're able to get it, I'll take it off you.
Also, if someone else is returning anytime soon, do let me know, would be grateful.
Cheers.
Non-sale price is ~$300 per 8 TB. So I am not sure whether it is worth it at that price. Wouldn't you be able to get 2x4 TB in India for that kind of money?

V J
BGR Newbie

Post by V J » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:12 pm

https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_confirm_ ... -28812.php
Rumors suggested Apple intentionally turned down the clock speed in order to prevent the battery life of the phones from decreasing over time.

Today the company confirmed those allegations and said the practice will continue with other products in the future.

In a message to TechCrunch, Apple said it released a feature for iPhone 6, iPhone 6s and iPhone SE to maintain battery life over time and also prevent the phone from shutting down in cold conditions. The company also confirmed that the iPhone 7 got this feature with the iOS 11.2 update with more devices to follow.

Replacing the battery might be a solution for some iPhone users who don’t want to buy a completely new device. The bigger problem stays though - Apple should have been clear about the feature beforehand and probably even let users opt out.
Here's the detailed article on TechCrunch: https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/20/apple ... ng-slower/

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:56 am

there is no bigger problem. any phone battery will go down after 2 yrs of nearly constant use. people replace it in android also - the trend of non-removal batteries started in android also with the likes of nexus, moto, pixel and now followed by most. so everyone just has to hand it in and get the battery replaced. the samsung note4 was probably the last android flagship with a removable one.

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:35 pm

Vayutuvan wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:51 pm
Cupertino rulez

RB and vina, narayana narayana.

If vina is not here then requesting Mort to pick up the gauntlet.
AAPL is all about maximizing share holder profit. Like MSFT they've gotten their hooks into the corporate world. This is through their iDevices. If you don't believe me, fly around the US and see business travelers using iPhones and some iPads configured by their KB IT depts. These iDevices account for > 90% of mobile business devices.

The recent base of AAPL dedicated users came from those of us who went to Mac once they switched to Intel architecture in 2005. There was great support for application packages for photo (Aperture) and video (Final Cut) that was second to none. AAPL doesn't care about those customers since they don't buy all the time and know full well there is no alternative besides MSFT Surface products which are just as costly. The Mac is still great, but in many cases they've been making it where they solder in the memory and SSD/HDD. Mac OS is simply not getting the attention it deserves and AAPL is resting on its laurels - it is still a great Windows machine. As far as iOS is concerned, that too has been very sloppy, we deserve better and a less buggy UX.

What I can say is that using an i7 iMac and i7 Surface Book that both are quite good and comparably pricey.

BhairavP
BGR Newbie

Post by BhairavP » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:29 am

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:24 am