Phone, Tablet & Gizmo Thread

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
krisna
BGR Newbie

Re: Phone tablet gizmo thread

Post by krisna » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:33 pm

don't know how many use vaio computers. They are damn good ones.
I have mac laptop and vaio. Actually use vaio for many of my needs more than MacBook.
It is faster and more responsive than MacBook.

I paid more for MacBook with more specifications than the usual off the shelf vaio.

Javee
BGR Newbie

Post by Javee » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:56 pm

Agree, I still use a Vaio that I bought in 2012. Its quite fast and serves as my go to laptop and I have been using it in a daily basis all these years. The sheet battery it came with went kaput, but all the other things are in working order.

SRoy
BGR Newbie

Post by SRoy » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:14 pm

I think this fits here.

https://www.baldengineer.com/engineers- ... duino.html

Can't say about other, I have created and validated some IoT prototypes on Arduino in record time.

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:15 pm

Is Vaio still available ? They were the best 7-8 years back and more expensive than other laptops of same configuration.

aakashrj
BGR Newbie

Post by aakashrj » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:21 pm

Sony no longer makes it. I also have one since 2010-11, the only change I made was upgrading HDD to SSD

chilarai
BGR Newbie

Post by chilarai » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:17 am

Javee wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:56 pm
Agree, I still use a Vaio that I bought in 2012. Its quite fast and serves as my go to laptop and I have been using it in a daily basis all these years. The sheet battery it came with went kaput, but all the other things are in working order.
I had the some battery problem as well but after a bit of googling this worked
1. take the battery out
2. press the power button for about 5 seconds
3. put battery back in .

I however have some problem with the chassis. Seems there might be a small short circuit . So when I am using it anyone touching me gets a small tingling sensation :-D

The power adapter went kaput as well.. replaced with some cheapo chini maal .
Otherwise I agree with VAIO built .. using it since 2012 , was my work laptop and then when the company closed its office I offered to buy it for half the price and since then its my pesonal laptop.

krisna
BGR Newbie

Post by krisna » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:02 am

jamwal wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:15 pm
Is Vaio still available ? They were the best 7-8 years back and more expensive than other laptops of same configuration.
yes there are still available. check vaio website on internet.

superb laptops

BTW I have a 40 gb Vaio laptop from 2002- removed windows xp installed Linux and enjoying.
need to plug it directly to electricity. battery not working. some keys dysfunctional. use an extra keyboard.

BhairavP
BGR Newbie

Post by BhairavP » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:19 am

Vaio has been sold to a PE firm. They're still manufacturing in Japan. High priced, quality machines.

Marten
BGR Member

Post by Marten » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:27 am

chilarai wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:17 am
Javee wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:56 pm
I had the some battery problem as well but after a bit of googling this worked
1. take the battery out
2. press the power button for about 5 seconds
3. put battery back in .

I however have some problem with the chassis. Seems there might be a small short circuit . So when I am using it anyone touching me gets a small tingling sensation :-D

Otherwise I agree with VAIO built .. using it since 2012 , was my work laptop and then when the company closed its office I offered to buy it for half the price and since then its my pesonal laptop.
That tingling sensation could be caused by any of your cables. In my experience, it has been HDMI cables that are supposedly shielded. I got fooled by good marketing and ended up with some fine looking cables that were trying to get me to function as a fine conductor (and not of the orchestral variety). To overcome this, simply bought a wireless keyboard+mouse combo.

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:10 am

A lot of cheap HDMI cables are not shielded

chilarai
BGR Newbie

Post by chilarai » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:23 pm

Marten wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:27 am
chilarai wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:17 am

That tingling sensation could be caused by any of your cables. In my experience, it has been HDMI cables that are supposedly shielded. I got fooled by good marketing and ended up with some fine looking cables that were trying to get me to function as a fine conductor (and not of the orchestral variety). To overcome this, simply bought a wireless keyboard+mouse combo.
The only cable I use is the power cord and it is a cheapo power adapter I got from amazon. So that could be the culprit. All these while I was thinking it may be some small short circuit with the chassis (since it is metallic and not plastic)

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:55 am

not that it matters in these days of zero privacy....but just saying
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/technology ... 66115.html

only privacy is going dark and off-grid

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:09 am

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, boycott chinese made things

Marten
BGR Member

Post by Marten » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:47 am

jamwal wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:09 am
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, boycott chinese made things
+a million

We are a newly liberated economy. Everyone wants to get the fashtesht mostesht phunwa out there. No one wants to stop and think who has control over their data, because "data lena hai to loh, what will you do with it?"Only when we are swarmed and overwhelmed by bots will the realization sink (when it's too late).

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:04 pm

I've said the above but people ask what is the difference between Beijing having details instead (or along) with Washington. Google (and hence NSA/GOTUS) may have access to data of all phones running on Andorid/iOS and if a phone is of Chinese, along with Washington, Beijing will have access as well. Privacy is dead anyways...might as well have the ability of getting good phones at cheaper price read Chinese models. Most tech savvy folks will say this.

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:06 pm

Only the stupid ones.

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:13 pm

Yeah...but an Indian citizen how does it make a difference between Beijing vs Washington on having access to data? I can understand given our hostility with China, encouraging to avoid Chinese products from denying a market segment POV.

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:15 pm

Expert Shows It’s Incredibly Easy to Steal the Apple ID Password of iPhone Users
Stealing the Apple ID and password from an iPhone is not really rocket science despite Apple’s obsession for security, and developer Felix Krause has proved that it takes only 30 lines of codes to complete the first step of a phishing attack.

Basically, Krause has demonstrated that it takes only a couple of minutes to recreate the Apple ID password prompt that’s shown on iOS devices, making it super-easy for attackers to create a phishing attack that can then steal the credentials from an iPhone or iPad.

The developer explained that the malicious code could be injected into legitimate iOS apps, which allows an attacker to bypass the App Store security shield and reach thousands of devices.

“Showing a dialog that looks just like a system popup is super easy, there is no magic or secret code involved, it’s literally the examples provided in the Apple docs, with a custom text,” the dev explained, adding that he hasn’t published the code to recreate the popup because he’s now working with Apple to have this problem solved.

It can bypass 2-step verification

A pop-up dialog asking for Apple ID credentials can be further enhanced with other requests, including for a 2-step verification code should such an option be enabled on a specific account.

This basically means that no account is safe unless Apple blocks these attempts from taking place outside the App Store and Settings. In fact, this is one of the ways Apple could easily prevent phishing scams from happening, Krause pointed out, though there are several ways for users to protect themselves until the company comes up with a fix.

For example, the developer recommends users to simply press the home button on the iPhone to see if the app quits, and if it does and the password request is gone as well, then it was most likely a phishing attack. Furthermore, users could always avoid entering credentials in such popups, but instead go to the Settings app manually and log in with their Apple ID and password there.

As with everything Apple, Cupertino hasn’t yet provided a statement on this, so we can’t tell for sure if an update is coming or not, and this is why the tips mentioned above come in so handy.

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:15 pm

China is existential enemy of India. How're US and China the same type of threat to anyone except the profoundly retarded ?

SRoy
BGR Newbie

Post by SRoy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:57 pm

US is a greater threat.

Marten
BGR Member

Post by Marten » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:28 am

Amazon released an updated 10" Fire Tablet. Any insights into this one? I won't buy a Chini brand and want to get a replacement for a Nexus 7 that got chipped at an edge (glass is splintered there but does not affect the actual screen itself). However, it is unsafe to continue using (despite the nice tech armor screen guard).

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:36 pm

I have been using samsung for years.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:08 pm

Marten wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:28 am
Amazon released an updated 10" Fire Tablet. Any insights into this one? I won't buy a Chini brand and want to get a replacement for a Nexus 7 that got chipped at an edge (glass is splintered there but does not affect the actual screen itself). However, it is unsafe to continue using (despite the nice tech armor screen guard).
Amazon's 8 inch seems to be real value for money.

PS. I don't have it and never used it.

Marten
BGR Member

Re: Phone, Tablet & Gizmo Thread

Post by Marten » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:23 pm

Thanks Sir. Bought one for mom last year. It's worth every cent. It's underpowered when compared to the where the nexus was. I might wait for Asus to up their game.

Zynda
BGR Member

Re: Phone, Tablet & Gizmo Thread

Post by Zynda » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:46 pm

I am sure people here have watched videos on Youtube where there will be a voice narration while the text is presented on a scroll/paper animation at the same time, the text is being auto-scrolled and bolded to match the sentences in the voice narration. Folks here with video editing experience, can you please let me know or find out which software is being used to create such effects? A friend wants to create such videos but unable to find out good video/image editing packages.