Nukkad

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
Singha
Forum Moderator

Re: Nukkad

Post by Singha » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:29 pm

If history and food are desired i believe some old teak houses in chettinad are now luxurious hotels. Same near thanjavur i think the chola lands

saip
BGR Newbie

Post by saip » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:26 pm

Raju wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:05 am
I called him and did some chit-chat, he picked up the phone and confirmed he wrote the mail to PMO as well as sent mail to BBC, who have him on a panel of ESP experts.
Obviously the ESP he talks about does not teach him English. Why did he not have visions about English spelling and grammar?

Aditya_V
BGR Member

Post by Aditya_V » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:43 pm

Been scanning Google maps want to see if there is something I can get.My son has mentioned can we go camping? And my wife is against driving more than 300km so was just looking for options.Brat has 6 days leave from tomorrow

Sridhar k
BGR Newbie

Post by Sridhar k » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:36 am

Aditya_V wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:43 pm
Been scanning Google maps want to see if there is something I can get.My son has mentioned can we go camping? And my wife is against driving more than 300km so was just looking for options.Brat has 6 days leave from tomorrow
How about Pondy, Pitchavaram, Poompuhar, Tharangambadi

Senji, TV Malai, Sathanur dam, Vellore Chennai

Aditya_V
BGR Member

Post by Aditya_V » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:34 am

Thanks Sridhar K

Mahakala
BGR Newbie

Post by Mahakala » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:51 am

Not sure how religious you are but even from a history/architecture pov, doing a temple tour is a good idea. It isn't too hot right now either, unlike summer. Either Kanchi or Thanjavur/Madurai/K'konam belt will be a good base to scout out tons of big, medium and small temples.

Raju
BGR Newbie

Post by Raju » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:30 am

saip wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:26 pm
Raju wrote:
I called him and did some chit-chat, he picked up the phone and confirmed he wrote the mail to PMO as well as sent mail to BBC, who have him on a panel of ESP experts.
Obviously the ESP he talks about does not teach him English. Why did he not have visions about English spelling and grammar?
I don't know why you feel so strongly about his english speaking skills, which is not the focus here. English is not his first language and India is not a colonial subject where citizens have to speak 100% shuddh english.

In fact Indians are doing a favor by speaking in English and popularizing a foreign language.

But if on other hand if one has wilfully subjected oneself to dictates of anglo-saxon world by becoming a citizen of an anglo-ruled english speaking country then you need to speak good english lest one make a joke of oneself over there. Different country, different rules.

Javee
BGR Newbie

Post by Javee » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:48 am

Aditya_V wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:43 pm
If you slightly stretch, even Salem and Trichy are in the 350km range. You can cover about half of TN with that radius 8-)

There are some tent hotels in Yercaud, that might give you a camping experience, but generally, this time of the year is iffy for camping as the rains are going to set for the most part of TN.

Sridhar k
BGR Newbie

Post by Sridhar k » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:16 am

Aditya

Found this on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/tentntrek/

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:38 am

Raju wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:30 am
saip wrote:
Raju wrote:
I don't know why you feel so strongly about his english speaking skills, which is not the focus here. English is not his first language and India is not a colonial subject where citizens have to speak 100% shuddh english.

In fact Indians are doing a favor by speaking in English and popularizing a foreign language.

But if on other hand if one has wilfully subjected oneself to dictates of anglo-saxon world by becoming a citizen of an anglo-ruled english speaking country then you need to speak good english lest one make a joke of oneself over there. Different country, different rules.
Exactly

Aditya_V
BGR Member

Post by Aditya_V » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:11 am

Sridhar k wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:16 am
Aditya

Found this on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/tentntrek/
Thanks had seen thier website

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:52 am

I am seeing newer threads including MIL & World Political ones on this forum. Isn't this forum supposed to not compete with BRF?

Raju
BGR Newbie

Post by Raju » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:35 pm

I was feeling that if everything was clubbed together in one sub-forum nukkad will get more footfalls. :mrgreen:
BRF was a big forum with 5751 members on last count, but this is a small forum with just 250 members, so multiplication of sub-forums will lead to sparse activity because people will not click into each and every sub forum at one go and this forum still has to share mindspace with BRF. So folks who log in here will also log into brf to check whats going on there.

Schmidt
BGR Newbie

Post by Schmidt » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:47 pm

Deepavali Lighting 2017 - Little India , Singapore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE7EvGcI5hE

The SG govt puts up these decorations every year in time for Deepavali in Little India

And here our Honbl SC pours cold water on gaeity and celebrations but is seemingly pained about communal colour when people raise concerns about this assault on Hindu traditions

Hinduism and Hindus will continue to flourish - in safe environments OVERSEAS

Schmidt
BGR Newbie

Post by Schmidt » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:02 pm

Just to add to above point , Singapore has a complete and TOTAL ban on all processions ( of any kind ) since inception

The only exception to this ban is the annual Thai Pusam festival where they allow the procession along Serangoon Road ( part of Little India ) upto the Srinivasa Perumal Temple , as this was a tradition going back nearly a century and they have graciously allowed it to continue

They could have cited secularitis and equal treatment of religions and discontinued this also , and nobody would have even murmurred

KJo
Forum Moderator

Post by KJo » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:46 pm

Raju wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:35 pm
I was feeling that if everything was clubbed together in one sub-forum nukkad will get more footfalls. :mrgreen:
BRF was a big forum with 5751 members on last count, but this is a small forum with just 250 members, so multiplication of sub-forums will lead to sparse activity because people will not click into each and every sub forum at one go and this forum still has to share mindspace with BRF. So folks who log in here will also log into brf to check whats going on there.

Thanks for your input Raju, we will consider it.

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:36 pm

Unfortunately, this is becoming a major issue for Bangalore. Years of unchecked urban growth along with bad practices (like disposing of garbage/inorganic stuffs like plastic bags etc. in to drainage/storm water drains and resulting in clogging) coupled with unusual heavy rains have resulted in tragedies like these.

Eight killed due to heavy rains in Bengaluru
Friday the 13 was bad for Bengaluru. Eight people were killed due to heavy rains, a man was severly injured as a wall collapsed on him while he was on his bike.

The city was almost flooded causing traffic snarls all over besides inundating thousands of houses.

Four people including a mother and daughter, a priest and another person washed away in the rain as water levels raised to dangerous proportions while four others including a couple died due to wall collapse caused by the downpour.

With this, the total number of deaths caused by rains in the city this monsoon has gone up to 14.

Water level rose upto 20 feet in Laggere storm water drain as against a 8 feet retaining wall causing flooding on the road and into houses nearby. Meenakshi (57) and her daughter Pushpa (22) came running out of their home when storm water gushed into their building. But both got washed away as water levels raised and gained force.

Similarly in Kurubarahalli Junction, Vasudev, a priest of Ganesha temple in Kurubarahalli Junction in Basaveshwara Nagar washed away in a storm water drain. Another person who was with Vasudev is also suspected to have washed away.

Fire personnel and the police are making efforts to trace those washed away

In Kurubrahalli 18 cross, a couple Shankarappa and Kamalamma died on the spot when wall collapsed due to heavy rain. The couple was clearing off their water logged in their compound by fetching it in buckets and throwing it away outside, the police said.

Similarly in Laggere, two persons Rudra and Mahendra died on the spot when wall collapsed on them.

The police along with Fire and Emergency Services and ambulances have been stationed near the temple and search for Vasudev is underway. The police are also making announcements on loud speakers not to venture outside.

The rain coupled with thunder storm and lightening struck all across the city causing inundation. In a few areas like Yeshwantpur BMTC bus terminal, Shivananda Circle and many low lying areas like Chandra Layout, Nandini Layout, Hosaguddadhalli, the water level was upto four feet submerging sever vehicles.

Mahakala
BGR Newbie

Post by Mahakala » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:50 pm

If you need a quick list of temples, just take a look at https://www.instagram.com/sunglowcrayon/

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:46 am

Blr is a plateau but the plateau had 100s of lakes big and small of which the then 2000 acre bellandur kere was the largest.
Lakes were joined by streams and wetlands

Post 1947 the population influx and decision by govt not
To respect this but develop colonies in lowlying areas like btm layout, put govt project like majestic bus stand and kanteerva stadium atop lakes set the tone

After 1990 the pvt colonies and more pop influx added to this trend

After 2005 it became free for all as nothing was considered sacred

Today the rmz ecoworld and intels new buildings coming up stand on what were extention of devarabisnhalli lake for eg.

Having let created a tokyo and hong kong type urban high density zone with 4th world support infra in water and roads the satraps are sitting back counting their good fortune .
Build first plan later

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:49 am

A blr in massa would have roped off all lakes and wetlands as conservation areas and developed the rest

Due to politics perhaps there are no sez office zones off each exit of the nice road and nor has it been extended into a full hyd style orr so that ppl can get into ring road then go swiftly to offices off planned exits

Dileep
Site Admin

Post by Dileep » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:27 am

Zynda wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:52 am
I am seeing newer threads including MIL & World Political ones on this forum. Isn't this forum supposed to not compete with BRF?
Let me put it this way.

BRF is a serious military/strategy platform, with an under-burqua GDF, which was reluctantly allowed due to public demand.
BGR is a GDF, with a few other categories which are reluctantly allowed due to public demand. I am not going to make any post there myself (except wielding danda for rule violations)

About competition: It is the declared policy not to compete with BRF. It is 'tharavaad'. These threads are permitted with a few strict rules:

1. Never criticize or make fun of BRF, its members, or posts. Instant ban shall result.
2. No cross discussion / overflow between the two.

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:47 am

Moon of Alabama‏ @MoonofA Oct 12
More Moon of Alabama Retweeted Dan Lamothe
New Puerto Rico stats from Pentagon:
- 89.4% of people have NO power, - 36% have NO water.
- NO power up 5% because s/o screwed up.

saip
BGR Newbie

Post by saip » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:55 pm

Raju wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:30 am
saip wrote:
Raju wrote:

Then why write in a language that is foreign to him? If I do not know have command over a language I will not try to communicate in that language (like Hindi for example). He is the one who tried because of his own foreign baggage not me. He could have easily communicated in Hindi.

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:00 pm

Brown Sahibi is strong with this one !

Raju
BGR Newbie

Post by Raju » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:50 pm

saip,

maybe because he doesn't know hindi well, yet wants to reach a wider audience.