Nukkad

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
Mort Walker
BGR Member

Re: Nukkad

Post by Mort Walker » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:37 pm

Sad. She seemed to be fit and I wonder if she took drugs and alcohol?

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:41 pm

Mort sir this did cross my mind if there is foul play in her death. She was quite fit, shed lot of weight when she was 50.
Curiously Amitabh Bachhan tweeted hardly an hour before her death 'na jaane kyu bahut ghabrahat ho rahi hai'

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:47 pm

Arjun Kapoor was not at happy terms with Sri Devi and would hardly ever meet daughters of Sri Devi with Boney Kapoor https://tribune.com.pk/story/1417035/ar ... ont-exist/

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:20 pm

Mort Walker wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:37 pm
Sad. She seemed to be fit and I wonder if she took drugs and alcohol?
this came re Sri Devi in 2011 https://www.pinkvilla.com/entertainment ... eev-masand

This has-been female star (currently working on a comeback movie) is rumoured to be addicted to a lethal cocktail of alcohol and prescription drugs. Recently, when a member of her producer-husband’s family passed away suddenly, she was summoned downstairs to grieve, but she was reportedly in such an inebriated state that she couldn’t leave her room for hours.

When it began to look awkward that the lady of the house herself was missing at such a solemn occasion, her husband insisted that she drop whatever she was doing and join them in the family room immediately. When she did finally appear, close friends and family were taken aback to see just how buzzed she was so early in the day. The actress barely spoke; she stood silently in a corner trying to avoid all attention. Yet all eyes were on her.

Word from the sets, however, is that she’s extremely professional and committed. She’s mostly uncommunicative, but those who’ve known her over the years say that she has always been a woman of few words.

saip
BGR Newbie

Post by saip » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:52 pm

I heard sending a Telugu character ( I think it is JNA ) is crashing iphones (11.2.5). Anyone experience that?

srikumar
BGR Member

Post by srikumar » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:33 am

IndraD..this song is a Sridevi song composed by M. Keeravani...urf M.M. Kreem...this was his first hit songs movie. 1992 or so. Telugu.... Sravana Veena.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVxfklLI-rY

And here's another...she brings so many expressions to her dancing.....Mr. India. Hawa Hawaii....

(I heard in an intverview by Kavita Krishnamruthy this song had a 100+ instruments for recording; LP composition)...

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:11 am

thanks Sri Kumar such a lovely tune..pls share such lovely tunes on regular basis.

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:58 am

Indrad wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:11 am
thanks Sri Kumar such a lovely tune..pls share such lovely tunes on regular basis.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:00 pm

Tight security at ATM in Jaipur after #PNBScam .

Raja
Forum Moderator

Post by Raja » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:31 am

Suraj san, looks like I was caught on TV during live telecast of the Tokyo Marathon. :mrgreen: Some KB employees spotted me.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:44 pm

reverse parking camera redefined.

Can any CCTV camera match this all seeing camera in this bus of Rajasthan Transport Service?

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:44 pm

Thats a reverse barking camera

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:49 pm

Does ladies compartment/entrance thing exist outside India? I'd think countries which are predominantly Islamic, such practices may be followed. Do these things exist in Philippines, Thailand or Indonesia? I'd doubt such rules exist in Japan where platform authorities have to literally pack people inside coaches before departure.

Anyways, it seems like the usual issues in India like not fool proofing is creating confusions in BLR metro. They come up these rules but leave the details ambiguous, inviting individual interpretations on the rules.

A post on SSC by a commuter:
Ladies entry has become controversial with many ladies even claiming that seats are reserved for ladies. Last week, one middle aged lady quarreled and asked me to get up as I was sitting next to 3rd door from front.

Today morning one lady was warning other male passengers as not to sit in the ladies seat. Another lady clarified it is only entry and not seats, but the lady was not in a mood to agree in peak hour rush of 9am.

I have tweeted twice to CPRO for a clarity and display it or announce it.

chilarai
BGR Newbie

Post by chilarai » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:09 pm

Zynda wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:49 pm
Does ladies compartment/entrance thing exist outside India? I'd think countries which are predominantly Islamic, such practices may be followed. Do these things exist in Philippines, Thailand or Indonesia? I'd doubt such rules exist in Japan where platform authorities have to literally pack people inside coaches before departure.
It does exist in Phillipines. Unaware I once tried to get inside the first coach of the metro, the ladies inside looked at me strangely but I was fine with it but soon there was lot of whistling ( the security guard whistle kind :rotfl: ) and 3-4 security guard came rushing shouting "ladies only" !
In fact Manila felt like what I thought Columbia would be like. Security guard with big ass gun at the entrance of Mac Donalds of all places ! like what will they rob ? burgers ?

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:05 pm

Posted by a person on TBHP forum about his experiences in BLR morning traffic :)
With my brother out of town for a week, I have been dropping my nephew off to school every day in the morning at 9am. Over the last week, I noticed that the maximum number of traffic violations at this time is done by parents dropping their children off at school. Rash driving, driving on the wrong side, jumping traffic signals, not wearing seat belts or helmets - every single violation imaginable seems to have been pulled off. The final straw today was this guy driving on the footpath and yelling at me for not jumping a red light and giving him space to get back on the road from the footpath

Makes me wonder. What sort of an example are we setting our kids? Where they don't think traffic rules are something important that needs to be followed. We are training another generation of rule breakers right from the tender age when we should actually be teaching them to be patient and following rules
I see parents with their kids driving on wrong side, waiting on the wrong side of the road at traffic signals, riding in middle of the road at slow speeds, of course many of them gunning & jumping red lights with impunity. Honestly, the kids will grow up thinking these are normal because they see their parents & many adults do these activities with no penalty for non-compliance.

I (We) had a special subject called Moral Science when we were studying. I hope they have removed that now because it would present a dichotomy to kids...follow rules the book says while the society gives a rats a** about the same. My recommendation, BLR traffic police should say on sign boards that red light rule is the only rule that needs to be followed on BLR Roads (& that too during 9 AM to 9 PM and for two wheels/autos, the red light rule is optional).

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:25 pm

An article in Deccan Herald clarifies the ladies entrace vs. reserved seats confusion on BLR's Namma Metro trains.

Women riders happy with reserved doors on Metro
Namma Metro's initiative of allocating the first two doors of every train for women has clocked a week. The response has been encouraging, but confusion reigns.

When women demand seats near the two doors, men passengers react by saying 'announcement only says two doors are allocated for women and not any seats'.

The men are right. The idea is just to give women easy access to the coach, and not to reserve the coach for them, Metro officials say.

U A Vasanth Rao, Chief Public Relations Officer explains, "The entry into the train is itself a challenge for most women."

A regular commuter, Keerthana Prakash says, "I don't understand the rationale behind reserving doors for women and not an entire coach."

For her, travelling in packed compartments with men is definitely an uncomfortable experience.

"This new initiative does not bring about a change in this situation," she says.

Jasmine Varghese, another regular on the Metro, says, "Since I change my train at Majestic, I have to walk back a longer distance from the first coach to catch my next train."

She says she is now missing her train, and waiting a good seven to eight minutes for the next train.

Sensitising men is what the Metro authorities are suggesting.

Vasanth Rao says, "We have not blocked seats, but we have allocated the first two doors to women. If a man or a senior citizen come and sit, we cannot stop them. Perhaps what women should do is to sensitise men."

Hey coach!

Each Metro train will have a coach exclusively for women once more coaches are introduced. Officials expect the coaches to arrive by May.
I hope they have one coach reserved for men as well...

KJo
Forum Moderator

Post by KJo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:06 pm

This is sexism against men. Why is that okay?

saip
BGR Newbie

Post by saip » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:14 pm

Because the Indian Constitution says so. If you do not like it change it.

Chandragupta
BGR Member

Post by Chandragupta » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:40 am

Indian roads are beyond saving now. Everyday I drive in Delhi-NCR I curse the gods why was I born here. Sorry but thats the truth. Road rage, no discipline, intimidation, its like going for a war not drive.

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:26 pm

Chandragupta wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:40 am
I curse the gods why was I born here.
You could do what this girl did! :)

Why an Indian girl chose to become an American woman

Posting in full...But first, behold the American girl in her glory
I was born in India. What can I say about India that hasn’t already been said about this big, beautiful country, where the culture and history run so deep that the people there have been killing each other for centuries and centuries? India is the most interesting, smelly, soulful melting pot of too many things and too many people I have ever seen. And the food is so good, the people so kind.

But India failed women and India failed me.

When I moved to the United States on a scholarship to go to Bard College in upstate New York in August 2009, I still had my high school hair (bangs) and my high school boyfriend. I did not know anything about AMERICA. When I arrived at JFK, I was alarmed and traumatized to learn that you had to “rent” the luggage carts for US$5. At the time, this converted to about 250 Indian rupees, and luggage carts were My parents had saved up for years so that my brother and I could pursue this life, and I couldn’t even drag two suitcases around on my own. I felt guilty as well as poor.

When I arrived at Bard later that same week, I found myself confused about whether I was under-dressed or over-dressed. Hipsters were trending that year, and I looked around the campus and thought to myself, “they must all be here on scholarship.”

In my first class at Bard, First Year Seminar, or FYSEM, we talked about Hegel. I had not done any of the reading, because I had started to and then didn’t understand a word of what Hegel was trying to say. All I could think, as my peers used big words to discuss and refute Hegel’s ideas, was Hegel rhymes with Kegel. It was going to be a long four years.

In the years following my not learning anything about Hegel in FYSEM, many things changed for me. I studied math and also became a convincing BS-er. Every semester I signed up for as many classes as I could fit in my schedule. I learned how to sit at a big round table and say things in a way that made it seem like I knew what I was talking about, and soon enough I was able to make a convincing argument about pretty much anything. I also learned how to drink irresponsibly and still live to experience the hangover the next day. In other words, I became college educated.

What changed the most for me, though, was how I thought about my own country. I was about eight thousand miles away from my parents, from the house that they had moved to in Mumbai that had never felt like home. Every time I flew back in college—a total of three times—I started to feel more and more isolated from my country. I felt anxious when I flew in that direction, and relieved when I flew back. When I made it past the mean but mostly bored Customs and Border Protection employees at JFK, I breathed. I felt free.

The last time I flew back to India, almost six years ago now, I was a senior in college, about to graduate. When I stepped out of Mumbai’s international airport, into the humid but cool “winter” air, my father did not recognize me. My mother would later joke but not joke that my father had pointed at every young woman walking out of the arrivals area, except me, and enthusiastically exclaimed, “there she is!”

When I sat in my parents’ shiny new Honda that they were so proud of, they asked me about my flight, and then asked me if I was ready to get married. They were joking, but I told them no, I was not.

Then what was my plan? they wanted to know. I was about to graduate from college, what was next? How was I going to survive? I’ll be fine, I said, you watch. I didn’t know that I was going to be fine, but found myself saying so in a small voice anyway. They relented, I relented.

I looked out of the window, onto the familiar streets of the city I was born in, a city I once loved.

I spent much of that winter break in my parents’ apartment, in the bedroom that was only mine when I was there. I volunteered with Teach for India during the day, but spent the evenings in my room. My parents didn’t allow me to leave the house alone after dark, because India was not safe for women, and I didn’t know my way around the city. Sexual assault and violence against women was a well-known fact in India, and it was about to become a world-famous fact too.

I felt oppressed. Not by my parents, but by the weight of being a female in a country that didn’t know what to do with its women. I wondered what it would be like if I ended up having to move back. But if I had to, I would be able to do it, I told myself. India wasn’t made for women, so what, I had to live, right?

On Dec. 16, 2012, a girl who became known as Nirbhaya, meaning “fearless,” was gang-raped, tortured and beaten by six men on a bus in South Delhi. She was twenty-three years old, a physiotherapy intern, and was coming home from watching a movie with her friend on the night of her assault. I watched with the rest of the country, and soon enough the rest of the world, as the gruesome details of the incident unraveled. When Nirbhaya died a few days later in a hospital in Singapore, we were all stunned into silence, but only for a minute. Then there was anger, and grief, and protests. People took to the streets across the country and asked the bigger questions—how could we live in a place where the circumstances allowed something like this to happen? How could this happen? How could men do this to women?

Then there were the anti-protesters, the ones who blame women, the ones who think nothing is wrong. That’s a lot of people in India, and the world, unfortunately. I guess this is what happens when a country is shaken like this, we become polarized. But, at least we see each other.

My departure day for the United States was fast approaching. I counted down the days, because my anguish had turned into sickness and anger. I hated India. Nibhaya’s death represented something bigger, for me and the rest of the country. I grew up accepting that I would have to adjust my lifestyle around men, their advances, their violence. It happened every day in India. Women were brutally raped, assaulted and killed on a daily basis, sometimes in cities, many times in remote, isolated villages and towns. Those incidents, we would never find out about.

The police and government participated and enabled. It was terrible, but no one wanted to become a statistic. So we went on.

After Nirbhaya’s death, there was a public outcry for change. And there was, in fact, some change. The maximum punishment for rape became the death penalty, instead of life imprisonment. The leaders acknowledged that the government and the police had failed. Some of the things we already knew were spoken out loud. This was hardly compensation, but it was something, a dialogue, at least. Finally.

But, the issue with systemic oppression and cultural bias is that change is not enough. You have to un-do the damage already done. You have to look inwards, and ask the harder questions. What were the messages Bollywood had been teaching us for decades? What had our history taught us about men, and women? What were our own biases?

Driving to the airport in Mumbai in January of 2013, I decided not to come back. I didn’t know how I was going to do it. Immigration, especially for Indians in the US was an uphill journey. Every year thousands of Indians, and other immigrants returned to their home countries who did not want to return.

But I was going to find a way. If not the United States, somewhere else. I could never again live in a country where, to some, to many, I was less than a human.

My resolve to stay out of India ruined my psychological well-being for a few years, as these things go. I would not go back. But now, instead of being up against potentially violent Indian men, I was up against the United States Customs and Immigration Service and the Department of Homeland Security.

After graduating from Bard later that year, I went on to work at a private boarding school in a small city in New England as a high school math teaching fellow. The program was a two-year fellowship, through which I earned a master’s degree in Education from the University of Pennsylvania. My coworkers were smart and kind, my students bearable on most days, and the opportunity almost too good to be true. The school worked with me to extend my visa, and I was grateful, as this meant that I was not buying that one-way ticket to Mumbai. Yet.

But I was unhappy. The truth was that I had accepted this job because it kept me out of India, not because I wanted to teach. When it came time to apply for jobs the fall of my second year, I applied for teaching jobs again, because this just made sense. On interviews, the people on the other end of the phone asked me why I wanted to teach. I told them about that time that student who hated math discovered that she loved math in my class, or how I enjoyed teaching my students about Graph Theory in a Geometry class, and how teaching math had taught me to look at math differently. I became pretty good at my “why I want to teach” speech.

But I didn’t want to teach. I just wanted to stay the hell out of India.

I eventually accepted a job teaching high school math at a private school in Minneapolis. When I flew into Minneapolis for the interview, it was early February. I had never been that cold in my life, but looking around the city, the lakes, the tall, bundled-up people, I thought, “sure. Why not?”

The school in Minneapolis invested thousands of dollars into hiring lawyers who put my packet for the H-1B visa together. The H-1B is a work visa that American companies apply for every year to hire foreign talent. The applications go through a lottery, and every year 65,000 applications are accepted for review.

In 2015, the year that my application was sent in, USCIS received 172,500 applications for the 65,000 slots. Mine, of course, didn’t make it through the lottery. I suppose sometimes the universe steps in.

The day I received the news, I went to my long block class in the afternoon and taught something about vectors, maybe.

I had applied to graduate programs in computer science on the side, being the type of person who covers her bases. I was not a good candidate, since I hadn’t studied computer science as an undergraduate. I had written a small program in Java for my senior math project at Bard, and knew a thing or two about web development. I wouldn’t have accepted me.

The only school I was accepted to in the end was the University of Southern California. It was the only way I would be able to stay in America, so I moved to California.

The master’s program at USC was my biggest failure to date. The program had been marketed toward people who didn’t have a background in computer science—me. When I arrived on campus, I found myself surrounded by mostly Indian and Chinese people who had studied computer science or worked in technology for years. I knew why they were there; it was the same reason I was there. I passed my classes, but barely, even though I studied every day, all day. This had never happened to me before. A couple months into working for my boss John at my campus job, I quit, holding back tears of shame. I would have to drop out and go back to India. I had failed in my own mission. That fall, the only thing I looked forward to was the moment I could fall asleep every night.

In the meantime, the US Army had opened up a program enabling non-US citizens and non-permanent residents to naturalize through the Army.

I joined the United States Army at 23, feeling that I was out of options. It was the toughest decision of my life, but I made it overnight, me on this side of the world, my family on the other side, all of us apprehensive, but somehow sure. I enlisted in the Army Reserves in November 2015. I dropped out of USC in December.

A few months later, having completed basic training, I swore in as an American citizen in the uniform of my newly adopted country’s army, in front of a couple thousand soldiers and civilians. I wondered what lay ahead of me. New struggles, probably. Better struggles, in my mind. Struggles I could handle.

I’m an American now. But America has problems too. I worry for people of color, for women, for people in the LGBTQ community, for people who find themselves in the line of fire of a psychopath’s gun on a Sunday night at a concert, or at a church, or at a club, or on the street. I worry for people who have been systemically oppressed, people who are up against forces greater than them. I know what this is like.

But, if I need to leave my house at 3 in the morning to drive to drill 100 miles away, I do. When I am out late at night, I don’t worry too much about coming home alone. I forget to text my mother sometimes that I am okay, but when I forget, she forgives me, because I live here, and not there.

I have not returned to India since the winter of Nirbhaya’s death. I will go back someday soon, so I can see my parents and my four-foot-11-inch-tall grandmother. But I will be coming back, to where I can breathe. Even if it’s just LA’s dry, dusty, smoggy air.

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:03 pm

Video of the fight between a Tiger & a Sloth Bear. Really amazing how the Sloth Bear was able to fight back...Tigers have been known to kill & eat Sloth Bears. Even the biggest of us would not be able to stand a chance against these animals.

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:07 pm

IMD's forecast for Summer 2018 in India says that we should brace ourselves for a pretty harsh one. An image published by IMD showing expected increase in temperatures this year. Peak in BLR region will probably hit 40-41C...

Was listening to BWSSB official this morning on radio station. He was saying that current population estimates in BLR is around 13 million+! I really think BBMP/Karnataka State Govt. should stop issuing corporate office parks permits in BLR and should encourage them to seek lands elsewhere in state...perhaps around Tumkur or Mysore region. They were interviewing him on the basis that Bangalore is listed as #2 city which is at risk of running out of drinking water. Main issue is severe pollution/contamination of existing lakes which precludes their water usage. Further, erosion of water table due to rampant construction...the usual problems.

arshyam
BGR Member

Post by arshyam » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:19 pm

^^ Yeah, and the easy award from the hon SC for BLR's drinking water means no incentive for BBMP to develop alternate/water sources. More lakes will perish to the builder mafia, after all Kaveri thai is there to keep giving. This also means no incentive to develop other cities in hinterland KA, so Tumakuru, Mysore and Hassan will continue to plod along. I can't imagine what this city will be like come 2025/30. Twenty million souls still trying to negotiate Silk Board, Corporation and Tin factory. Shudder!

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:00 pm

^^ Yes sir, perhaps many of us BLR residents should sign up with US Army in hopes of receiving US Citizenship soon enough just like the girl in an article I posted a couple of hours ago did :lol:. Then we can experience the drought conditions & heat waves in SoCal, Arizona, Nevada or even Texas (if we chose to end up there) instead of in BLR among 20 million plus souls.

Chandragupta
BGR Member

Post by Chandragupta » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:23 pm

Zynda wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:26 pm
Chandragupta wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:40 am
I curse the gods why was I born here.
You could do what this girl did! :)
Thanks! Since you're so helpful, can you also post a link for the application form for the TFTA US Army? Will they accept a SDRE? I think I must now learn the Murican national anthem too, right? And wear star spangled chaddis, ofcourse.