Nukkad

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
chetak
Forum Moderator

Re: Nukkad

Post by chetak » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:49 am

Vyoman @saikanomie wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:24 am
Singha wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:07 am
Vyoman @saikanomie wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:52 pm
Track circuits and GPS based collision detection isn't hard. Wonder why they would not have prevented such collisions. It could be the algorithm learning process that needs to redo the learning, to reduce speed and come to a stop much ahead. Otherwise, I can't think why this happened.
pure GPS (10meter) accuracy is not accurate enough for adjoining tracks differentiation. some other means are used.
I doubt anyone would want to take chances even with 1m CEP mil-channel GPS.
No, GPS alone doesn't work. GPS is ballpark approximation say if two trains are like on the same spot (You need some broad logic to trigger a track check routine). Mostly it is the "Track circuits", that will sense two trains on the same track heading towards each other. Track circuits will scan for RFID or tags or pressure sense under the trains and it would be piece of cake logic to tell disaster to happen miles ahead

AGPS gives a much better accuracy and is really not that complicated. It does not require anyone to decode the inbuilt jitter to extract the much more accurate MIL GPS signals

from wiki
Standalone/self-ruling GPS devices depend solely on information from satellites. A-GPS augments that by using cell tower data to enhance quality and precision when in poor satellite signal conditions. In exceptionally poor signal conditions, for example in urban areas, satellite signals may exhibit multipath propagation where signals skip off structures, or are weakened by meteorological conditions or tree canopy. Some standalone GPS navigators used in poor conditions can't fix a position because of satellite signal fracture and must wait for better satellite reception. A GPS unit may need as long as 12.5 minutes (the time needed to download the GPS almanac and ephemerides) to resolve the problem and be able to provide a correct location.[2]

An assisted GPS system can address these problems by using external data. Utilizing this system can come at a cost to the user. For billing purposes, network providers often count this as a data access, which can cost money, depending on the plan.[3]

To be precise, A-GPS features depend mostly on an internet network or connection to an ISP (or CNP, in the case of CP/mobile-phone device linked to a cellular network provider data service). A mobile (cell phone, smart phone) device with just an L1 front-end radio receiver and no GPS acquisition, tracking, and positioning engine only works when it has an internet connection to an ISP/CNP, where the position fix is calculated offboard the device itself. It doesn't work in areas with no coverage or internet link (or nearby BTS towers, in the case on CNP service coverage area). Without one of those resources, it can't connect to the A-GPS servers usually provided by CNPs. On the other hand, a mobile device with a GPS chipset requires no data connection to capture and process GPS data into a position solution, since it receives data directly from the GPS satellites and is able to calculate a position fix itself. However, the availability of a data connection can provide assistance to improve the performance of the GPS chip on the mobile device.

Assistance falls into two categories:

Mobile Station Based (MSB): Information used to acquire satellites more quickly.
It can supply orbital data or almanac for the GPS satellites to the GPS receiver, enabling the GPS receiver to lock to the satellites more rapidly in some cases.
The network can provide precise time.
Mobile Station Assisted (MSA): Calculation of position by the server using information from the GPS receiver.
The device captures a snapshot of the GPS signal, with approximate time, for the server to later process into a position.
The assistance server has a good satellite signal and plentiful computation power, so it can compare fragmentary signals relayed to it.
Accurate, surveyed coordinates for the cell site towers allow better knowledge of local ionospheric conditions and other conditions affecting the GPS signal than the GPS receiver alone, enabling more precise calculation of position.
As an additional benefit, in mobile station assisted implementations, the amount of processing and software required for a GPS receiver can be reduced by offloading most of the work onto the assistance server.

A typical A-GPS-enabled receiver uses a data connection (Internet or other) to contact the assistance server for aGPS information. If it also has functioning autonomous GPS, it may use standalone GPS, which is sometimes slower on time to first fix, but does not depend on the network, and therefore can work beyond network range and without incurring data-usage fees.[3] Some A-GPS devices do not have the option of falling back to standalone or autonomous GPS.

Many mobile phones combine A-GPS and other location services, including Wi-Fi Positioning System and cell-site multilateration and sometimes a hybrid positioning system.[4]

High-Sensitivity GPS is an allied technology that addresses some of these issues in a way that does not require additional infrastructure. However, unlike some forms of A-GPS, high-sensitivity GPS cannot provide a fix instantaneously when the GPS receiver has been off for some time.

Basic concepts

Standalone GPS provides first position in approximately 30–40 seconds. A standalone GPS needs orbital information of the satellites to calculate the current position. The data rate of the satellite signal is only 50 bit/s, so downloading orbital information like ephemerides and the almanac directly from satellites typically takes a long time, and if the satellite signals are lost during the acquisition of this information, it is discarded and the standalone system has to start from scratch. In A-GPS, the network operator deploys an A-GPS server, a cache server for GPS data. These A-GPS servers download the orbital information from the satellite and store it in the database. An A-GPS-capable device can connect to these servers and download this information using mobile-network radio bearers such as GSM, CDMA, WCDMA, LTE or even using other radio bearers such as Wi-Fi. Usually the data rate of these bearers is high, hence downloading orbital information takes less time

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:41 am

that would need IR to build dedicted signaling stations all along its railway lines because there are many dark zones in rural areas and even in urban its hard to get a proper data connection often. the days of 4G pervasiveness and reliability in indian density are not there yet.
plus what to if towers are down (power failure and genset ran out of fuel or refuses to start) or under maintainence.

I dont think that AGPS is hence a soln

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:14 am

Singha wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:41 am
that would need IR to build dedicted signaling stations all along its railway lines because there are many dark zones in rural areas and even in urban its hard to get a proper data connection often. the days of 4G pervasiveness and reliability in indian density are not there yet.
plus what to if towers are down (power failure and genset ran out of fuel or refuses to start) or under maintainence.

I dont think that AGPS is hence a soln
I read somewhere that someone (govt) in HYD is working on this AGPS thingee.

It did not have railway applications, IIRC.

Best to outsource this to an experienced cell phone company on a BOT basis with stringent agreements for delivery service levels

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:50 pm

Catholic Archbishop Says Pedophilia Is ‘Spiritual Encounter With God’
Catholic Archbishop Says Pedophilia Is ‘Spiritual Encounter With God’

February 12, 2018 ,Baxter Dmitry, News, World 77.

A high-ranking Catholic Church archbishop says sexually abused children can experience "a spiritual encounter with God through the priest".

One of the highest-ranking officials in the Catholic Church says sexually abused children can experience “a spiritual encounter with God through the priest” while being molested.

Australia’s most powerful clergy, Archbishop of Melbourne Denis Hart, says the Catholic practice of confession is satisfactory for dealing with pedophilia in the church as it helps priests absolve “their own guilt” after sexually abusing children.

Asked whether he was prepared to be jailed for failing to report child sex abuse by Catholic pedophile priests, Archbishop Hart confirmed he was willing to serve prison time. He also claimed the right to cover for pedophiles in the church is an “absolutely sacrosanct communication of a higher order.“

He made the shocking statement in response to the Australian Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse which stated there should be “no excuse, protection nor privilege” for Catholic clergy who failed to alert police of abuse within the church.

But Archbishop Hart disagreed and insisted that sexual abuse was “a spiritual encounter with God through the priest” and was “of a higher order” than criminal law.

A new report by the commission proposed 85 sweeping changes to the criminal justice system and recommended that priests face criminal charges for failing to report serious crimes such as sexual abuse to the police.

As the law currently stands, clergy are not legally obliged to report crimes to the police and disciplinary proceedings for criminal activity by members of the Catholic Church are handled internally by Canon law, which operates independently of the regular legal procedure.

RELATED: Judge Cuts Pedophile’s Prison Sentence Claiming 3-Year-Old Child ‘Asked To Be Raped

Following an investigation by the commission, officials believe that the Catholic Church is using “confessional confidentiality” as a cover for not reporting child sex abuse by active pedophiles to the authorities.

“We understand the significance of religious confession – in particular, the inviolability of the confessional seal to people of some faiths, particularly the Catholic faith”, said the report. “However, we heard evidence of a number of instances where disclosures of child sexual abuse were made in religious confession, by both victims and perpetrators.

“We are satisfied that confession is a forum where Catholic children have disclosed their sexual abuse and where clergy have disclosed their abusive behavior in order to deal with their own guilt.”

Asked on Tuesday if he would rather go to prison than breach the seal of confession, he told ABC Radio Melbourne:

“I’ve said that I would. I believe that this is an absolutely sacrosanct communication of a higher order.”

Baxter Dmitry
Baxter Dmitry is a writer at Your News Wire. He covers politics, business and entertainment. Speaking truth to power since he learned to talk, Baxter has travelled in over 80 countries and won arguments in every single one. Live without fear.
Email: baxter@yournewswire.com
Follow: @baxter_dmitry

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:31 pm

Rick Gates - a campaign advisor might become the third guy to cooperate with Mueller.

Mueller also indicts 13 Russians for interfering with elections.

rsingh
BGR Newbie

Post by rsingh » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:23 pm

Zynda wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:51 pm
Sachin wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:30 am
Managed to read a book completely Thug: The True Story of India's Murderous Cult
Thanks for summarising the above Sachin saar. I got to know them i.e. Thuggies after Indy Temple of Doom movie. Very interesting...

Wish somebody had given the book to Mr. Spielberg so that he could avoid the "Kali maa" chanting by Amrish Puri.
Had posted about this book in 2010 (IIRC), in book section. Some other details are very interesting. They would never touch a traveler who had a cow with him. In fact efforts were made to buy that cow first ( not steal). Girls were often spared and married -off to the sons of thugs.In one incident a traveling party was massacred barley few hundred yards from Sleeman's camp. This book has many other informations about that period. Marwari baniyas had bank branches as far as Japan.Good read.

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:20 am

Is that Piece of $hit Salman Rushdie a UK Citizen? Was watching the recent Bill Maher show and they were talking about gun control in US based on the recent high school event in Flordia & this bozo Salman Rushdie says "In most countries it is very hard to get guns. For example, a $hithole country like India, which is where I come from...even in that $hithole it is very difficult to get a gun". He could have used just India and not the adjective.

I do hope that someone throws a big bag of human crap on his face the next time any Indian citizen sees him in real.

I realize we have bigger issues including border & internal security, various financial frauds which really harm Indian citizens in a tangible way compared to the remark made by the SOB Rushdie, but I do hope that some one at GoI sees his comment and put a note to deny him entry in to India. If he has such disdain about India, better off he not visiting here.

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:37 am

he comes regularly for jaipur litfest type matters.

better to deny him entry and kick him out.

srikumar
BGR Member

Post by srikumar » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:10 pm

Zynda wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:20 am
Is that Piece of $hit Salman Rushdie a UK Citizen? Was watching the recent Bill Maher show and they were talking about gun control in US based on the recent high school event in Flordia & this bozo Salman Rushdie says "In most countries it is very hard to get guns. For example, a $hithole country like India, which is where I come from...even in that $hithole it is very difficult to get a gun". He could have used just India and not the adjective.
I agree. There was no reason to use that adjective, especially and edumacated and literate person like Rashdi. Zynda, please see if can save a clip of that comment. Post the interview link here if you can.

If I am not wrong, he was a citizen of India at one point (he shuttled between Pakistan and India a while ago, before he went to UK). Denying him a visa would have the usual intellectual crowd howl about 'phreedom of speech' and with the usual sophistication and sophistries. But there is no reason to let others know of his -hithole comment.

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:48 pm

^^I think Bill Maher's show stream is officially restricted to US region (IP address) only.

The streaming link which I used earlier is now broken.

I found a link which streams only the audio of the show

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/real-t ... oplay=true

Anyways, I found out that even within US, I think one needs to have a subscription with HBO. If any BGR member has it and is interested in recording the clip, the show name is Real Time with Bill Maher and the show air date is Feb 16th.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:01 pm

ease up on the outrage..

rushdie was referring to trump's 'shithole' comment.

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:18 pm

Gus saar, did you watch the show? I don't think he used the word wrt Trump's comment. IMO, he clearly meant what he said. I saw no air quotes or whatever to indicate the reference. I was not happy with his usage of the adjective.

Anyways, it is up to GoI to decide on what needs to be done (if it ever reaches that level). Like I mentioned in my original post, we have issues which are bigger & more pressing which actually affects ordinary Indian citizens than his comment...no more from me on this.

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:50 pm

very interesting....malya compares himself with trump wayback in 1998...

srikumar
BGR Member

Post by srikumar » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:57 pm

Gus wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:01 pm
ease up on the outrage..

rushdie was referring to trump's 'shithole' comment.
Zynda, found it....

Listen at 21:20....about 30 seconds or less; Rushdie says:

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/real-t ... oplay=true

"Even in most countries in the world....in shithole countries like India where I come from, even in the shithole part of the world it is quite hard to get a gun". He used it twice.'

"Well Rushdie, you got a cheap laugh at the expense of calling a country 'shithole'. Yes, you came from India and that makes it OK. And yes, Mumbai is your city and has the largest slum in Asia, and yet you love Mumbai, I am sure".

GoI probably will not get involved....but people should definitely be made aware of it. I think he felt it would play well on a western audience.

As an aside, I used to watch Bill Maher's show a lot when it was on open TV, and then he got into trouble for saying something that was construed as him calling US military cowards. Advertisers started withdrawing annd that was the end of the show and he went to HBO. It seems the HBO show has the same format, 4 guests and Bill Maher.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:46 pm

you maybe right...I am not going to stick my neck out for Rushdie - a pretentious fellow. I just felt that an admittedly progressive show which took issue with Trump calling developing nations as shithole, would endorse such a view towards India, unless it was referring to what Trump said. Imagine if it was said in Trump's voice/mimicry and you would think differently, right?

anyways, did you see how Mueller is making moves? now rick gates is cooperating and will testify against manafort. classic fbi techniques of moving up the chain. And he pre-empted claims of witch hunt etc by only pointing to irrefutable activities by Russian agents. Trump is caught now as he cannot refute that, but accepting that will always lead to more questions.

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:00 pm

Yaar....No one cares about Trump and white Russian racists colluding. They deserve each other. As long as India’s interests are served is all that matters. Both Rethuglicans and Homocrats hate SDRE.

Rushdie is a piece of sh1t and has always used some public forum to trash India.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:10 am

i do care if things lead to political instability in the US. and his base becomes restless and feels cheated. It is headed that way.

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:55 pm

Pre-Summer weather has already started in Bengaluru. Dunno how bad the water situation will get around May-June when the temperatures will hit 38-40 C.

During last year rains when many parts of Bangalore were innundated, BWSSB could have implemented measures for water retention to mitigate water scarcity situation...

Bangalore was mentioned as the 2nd city which would run out of water or have severe water issues.

Will be interesting & probably hellish in coming years with global temperatures getting hotter & hotter by each year...

I have already started conserving water...no unnecessary car washes (will get dirty anyways due to rampant dust)...

KJo
Forum Moderator

Post by KJo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:55 pm

I usually send cakes to my parents on their birthdays in India. I place the order from the US and someone delivers. I have been using Taj India
http://www.tajonline.com/gifts-to-india/cakes-127/
The selection to Mysore is diminishing and now it is just down to 11 and I have used them all.

Does anyone know of a good reliable cake service which I can pay from the US and have them deliver (to Mysore)? I went with Winni.in and after selecting it and at the area to put in my credit card, the morons say they don't accept international cards. :))

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:59 pm

KJo wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:55 pm
I usually send cakes to my parents on their birthdays in India. I place the order from the US and someone delivers. I have been using Taj India
http://www.tajonline.com/gifts-to-india/cakes-127/
The selection to Mysore is diminishing and now it is just down to 11 and I have used them all.

Does anyone know of a good reliable cake service which I can pay from the US and have them deliver (to Mysore)? I went with Winni.in and after selecting it and at the area to put in my credit card, the morons say they don't accept international cards. :))
Have you tried India Gift Portal (igp.com)? I haven't used them for cakes, but they do have some. I've used them for delivery to 2nd tier cities in Maharashtra and MP, and they've been good for payment from the US by credit card (Amex didn't work too well though).

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:57 am

twitter

The Saudi Prince arrived with 10 airplanes packed with an entourage, furnitures and luxury goods for his own personal use. The Japanese Emperor met him in an empty room with the simplest setting, giving a message that greatness lies in knowledge and higher values and not in …

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:40 am

In cricketing terms,

imran khan's brides have also evolved according to cricket field placements.

The first one had a slip, the second one had cover and the third one has extra cover.

chilarai
BGR Newbie

Post by chilarai » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:34 pm

chetak wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:57 am
twitter

The Saudi Prince arrived with 10 airplanes packed with an entourage, furnitures and luxury goods for his own personal use. The Japanese Emperor met him in an empty room with the simplest setting, giving a message that greatness lies in knowledge and higher values and not in …

some say such a big empty room in Japan is vulgar display of wealth :D

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:21 pm

Looks like culturally Japan is close to India, not just being a Buddhist country, but such cultural practices indicates so.

Indrad
BGR Oldie

Post by Indrad » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:21 pm

Sri Devi has passed away in Dubai from a massive heart attack. Om Shanti!