Nukkad

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
Gus
Forum Moderator

Re: Nukkad

Post by Gus » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:42 pm

meh...it had it's heights and glory but the format depended a lot on really good analysts and thinkers providing quality output, a bunch of regulars to post relevant news and opinion to feed the above and help distill the wisdom, and an army of lurkers, occasional posters etc to disseminate that info to the www.

the quality output people dropped off/driven out. the regulars went into chitchatting and boys' club stuff. And nukkad was banned on top of that and regulars fled elsewhere. brf is dead except for some mil discussions and suraj in econ. and the US thread, where n3 is like that standup comedian who does not realize he's the only guy in the room, but imagines he's telling great jokes.

Rahul M
Forum Moderator

Post by Rahul M » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:50 pm

gakakkad wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:21 pm
I do miss the good old BRF days...
good to see you posting.
I keep wondering about a comment you made long back regarding how techno-medical equipment being very costly and how that it is a good idea for Indian co's to venture in that direction. has there been any progress on that front ?
feel free to answer in any appropriate thread in BRF/BGF.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:24 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY5oQOirve4

Watch this video. This is something new, generally unknown and purposeful in the breaking India narrative and it seems to have originated outside of India. It is also very specifically targeted.

Suraj
BGR Member

Post by Suraj » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:39 am

All this talk about BRF's demise is quite funny. Here's my perspective: BRF is sustained by the producers, not the consumers and bystanders.

I'm not an original member, having joined sometime in 2000, then lost my ID and registered again with my current stamp of 2002. The place was incredibly over-moderated then. Never mind having some idle talk, getting off thread topic invited immediate and harsh moderation. Entire topics of discussion (e.g. econ that every refers about me now - thanks!) basically did not exist. There was an econ thread, I think. But it was just news articles posted once a while, and barely moved. You thought very carefully before you posted, because if you posted something off topic or just stupid, your post disappeared, you got kicked out, or both.

My own role there to have built up and sustained the econ thread and various other TEF threads around it. I liked looking at forward projections. So ramana made me create PPTs (!!) from the original BRIC paper, and the NIC global trends documents . I went to BRF meetings, ramana, Arun_S, Kaushal, Acharya etc cross-examined me after that PPTgiri. Back then (2003-05) our economy was 1/5th of what it is now. We were puny by any measure you looked at. But there was a lot of change on the horizon.

Simultaneously, a few of us (e.g. Singha) went around taking pics of the the new Delhi Metro, and the Golden Quadrilateral in its early stages of construction. Infrastructure is key to development. We posted pics in various places. I was one of the founding participants of Skyscrapercity India forum. I couldn't sustain the kind of visual output that site has now, but you'll find my pictures and posts in the very earliest editions of the road and rail threads there.

What that effort helped me learn was inspiring. The research and digging was fun. It opened our eyes to what was about to happen with a great degree of likelihood. Not just 'ek din', but quite accurate projections we were able to track over the years, and find data supporting that growth level. Some of it sounded fantastic then. Our annual aggregate trade is north of $1 trillion now. Back then it was 10% of that, even our GDP was a loooong way from a trillion then. It was difficult to visualize evolving that much, just 3-4 cricket world cups cycles out.

This kind of effort sustains BRF. I've tried to impart this enthusiasm to others. It doesn't usually work. Some folks are particularly disappointing (I won't name names) I've gone so far as to encourage a track of research with what would take little more than entering offered search terms into googal chacha, to get some data to discuss. But no, people simply don't want to bother. It's not lack of time . There's plenty of time to be had when it's just posting weakly supported arguments and lots of emotion, that could be so much more focused if they take time to find support material .

Then there are those who aren't particularly keen on any serious posting, and are simply there for the community. That's fair enough, but rather sad. Yes, there was a big community for you to interact with. That community was *built* by the efforts of the producers, who created enough material of value to bring so many interested people to one place. So many like minded people didn't end up in one place by random accident.

Those who moan about what's been 'lost' , need to humbly consider some things for themselves. Were you a producer or mostly a consumer/community member ? Were you there just to vent and socialize, or to actually lead the place forward ? You don't *need* to lead. But are you keeping it easy for the place to maintain direction, focus and its reputation ? Were you aware that some folks were producing the bulk of the output that drove the forum's reputation, and ensured you either stayed out of their way, fed something useful, or at least avoided getting in the way, or even report or attempt to keep others from disrupting ? All of this is not 'somebody else's job'. It's everyone's job.

Having limitations in knowledge, interest or intent, in itself is not a problem. We all have limitations. Not being aware of your own limitations and consequences of actions, and disrupting the place is. BRF, like a company, has the 80-20 rule in operation, i.e. 80% gets done by 20% of active participants. When the remaining 80% progressively take up more moderation energy and disrupt rather that feed the work of the rest, what happens in companies also happens in forums - the high value folks leave. When that happens, the place withers.

Moaning about BRF here is like a bunch of folk sitting around moaning about Kodak or Polaroid or some other entity. Except that in this case it's well within every involved person's ability to help keep the forum pointed the right way and to let it grow.

ParGha
BGR Newbie

Post by ParGha » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:45 pm

Suraj wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:39 am
I liked looking at forward projections.
I particularly enjoyed the early PIMS posts by Singha (and earlier avatar), YI Patel and Sunil. It was later completely given over to Vivek, and now lies almost dead.

My occasional half-@ssed attempts at breathing life into it is going nowhere, and the apocalyptic conclusion of the last thread heavily constrains what others can do with it.

Methinks Singha-ji needs a more free-form framework to unleash his creative energies -- projections not just into the purely military space, but also ecological, political, social, economic and sci-fi realms. This may be the perfect place to do it. Others will surely ride the wave. -JMTC, etc.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:51 pm

social media

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:18 am

twitter

The last time someone boasted of their spurious wares this much was when they set up a roadside shack claiming to cure Bawasir and Gupt rog.

Shakuni
BGR Newbie

Post by Shakuni » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:43 am

This mohtarma reminds me of the abdul who came to BRF and claimed to have an upper hand on things.

nachiket
BGR Newbie

Post by nachiket » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:23 pm

Shakuni wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:43 am
This mohtarma reminds me of the abdul who came to BRF and claimed to have an upper hand on things.
There is a simple line in Game of Thrones which perfectly describes people like her:
"Any man who must say, "I am the King", is no true king."

srikumar
BGR Member

Post by srikumar » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:27 am

WIth all the rain in Kerala and dams getting record water levels, how is the situation at Mullaiperiyar dam?

I am assuming Dileep mian has a special interest in this particular damn.

Sachin
BGR Oldie

Post by Sachin » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:27 am

srikumar wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:27 am
WIth all the rain in Kerala and dams getting record water levels, how is the situation at Mullaiperiyar dam?
:) From what I could make out from the main stream media; Mullaperiyar dam is still holding strong. Nobody even talks about it. And cynics say that Mullaperiyar Dam safety issues would miraculously reappear during Sabari Mala pilgrimage season. Com. Dileep may see some impact because some of the rivers near his area are flooded. The water from the dams opened also goes through the same river channels.

shravanp
BGR Member

Post by shravanp » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:11 pm

New Jersey too had floods this week. SUVs were literally floating.

https://abc7ny.com/weather/states-of-em ... y/3954647/

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:16 pm

A fascinating article about evolution of Bangalore to its current horrible state.

Bangalore, before the dystopia: The birth, life, and death of India’s most liveable city

Per the article, one IISc publication makes an alarming claim that BLR will be unlivable by 2025 :) Jai ho onlee...

ricky
BGR Newbie

Post by ricky » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:45 pm

https://www.nybooks.com/daily/2018/08/1 ... displaced/
Naipaul was nothing if not self-aware. In his first travel account of India, An Area of Darkness (1964), he describes a visit to his ancestral village in a poor, dusty part of Uttar Pradesh, where an old woman clutches Naipaul’s shiny English shoes. Naipaul feels overwhelmed, alienated, presumed upon. He wants to leave this remote place his grandfather left behind many years before. A young man wishes to hitch a ride to the nearest town. Naipaul says: “No, let the idler walk.” And so, he adds, “the visit ended, in futility and impatience, a gratuitous act of cruelty, self-reproach and flight.”
Naipaul’s fastidiousness had more to do with what he called the “raw nerves” of a displaced colonial, a man born in a provincial outpost of empire, who had struggled against the indignities of racial prejudice to make his mark, to be a writer, to add his voice to what he saw as a universal civilization. Dirty towels, bad service, and the wretchedness of his ancestral land were insults to his sense of dignity, of having overcome so much.
In The Loss of Eldorado (1969), a short history of his native Trinidad, he describes in great detail how waves of bloody conquest wiped out entire peoples and their cultures, leaving half-baked, dispossessed, rootless societies. Such societies have lost what Naipaul calls their “wholeness” and are prone to revolutionary fantasies and religious fanaticism.

Wholeness was an important idea to Naipaul. To him, it represented cultural memory, a settled sense of place and identity. History was important to him, as well as literary achievement upon which new generations of writers could build. It irked him that there was nothing for him to build on in Trinidad, apart from some vaguely recalled Brahmin rituals and books about a faraway European country where it rained all the time, a place he could only imagine. England, to him, represented a culture that was whole. And, from the distance of his childhood, so did India.

When he finally managed to go to India, he was disappointed. India was a “wounded civilization,” maimed by Muslim conquests and European colonialism. He realized he didn’t belong there, any more than in Trinidad or in England.
If raw nerves made him irascible at times, they also sharpened his vision. He understood people who were culturally dislocated and who tried to find solace in religious or political fantasies that were often borrowed from other places and ineptly mimicked. He described such delusions precisely and often comically.
The second part of Finding the Center, called “The Crocodiles of Yamassoukro,” is a perfect example of his methods. It is a surprisingly sympathetic account of a messed-up African country, filled with foreigners as well as local people wrapped up in a variety of self-told stories, some of them fantastical, about how they see themselves fitting in. African Americans come in search of an imaginary Africa. A black woman from Martinique escapes in a private world of quasi-French snobbery. And the Africans themselves, in Naipaul’s vision, have held onto a “whole” culture under a thin layer of false mimicry. This culture of ancestral spirits comes alive at night, when the gimcrack modernity of daily urban life is forgotten.

Being in Africa reminds him of his childhood in Trinidad, when descendants of slaves turned the world upside down in carnivals, in which the oppressive white world ceased to exist and they reigned as African kings and queens. It is an oddly romantic vision of African life, this idea that something whole lurks under the surface of a half-made, borrowed civilization.

saip
BGR Newbie

Post by saip » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:02 pm

In google I typed:
How many seats did JI WIN in Pakistan
Google corrected me with:
Did you mean: How many seats did JI WON in Pakistan

Now I am totally confused.

Dilbu
BGR Newbie

Post by Dilbu » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:36 am

Situation in Kerala is grim. We need more assistance from military NOW.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:56 am

and the ignoble prize goes to...........

and yes this is real. https://www.pluralist.com/posts/1824-mi ... ners/44197

Raju
BGR Newbie

Post by Raju » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:14 am

Sachin wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:27 am
srikumar wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:27 am
:) From what I could make out from the main stream media; Mullaperiyar dam is still holding strong. Nobody even talks about it.
:roll:

Sachin
BGR Oldie

Post by Sachin » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:16 am

KL is witnessing a massive rain fall this time. And also widespread flooding and land slides. As an environmentalist joked; "Mother nature is evicting the encroachers without even giving them a notice and a provision to appeal at the judicial courts".
* Kerala Floods 2018
* Rain weakens in North Kerala: Anxiety persists......
* Pinarayi calls up PM again, seeks central assistance......
* IMD predicts heavy rainfall, gusty winds in Kerala today...

srikumar
BGR Member

Post by srikumar » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:29 pm

^^ I think Comrade Dilip must be taking personal stock of the situation and monitoring water level at Mullaiperiyar (or evacutaing his relatives above his predicted waterline). Pinarayi pinged TN govt from what I hear. But if water was released from this dam there will be mmore flooding along the river). But one assumes/hopes that there will be no catastrophic development.

Raju
BGR Newbie

Post by Raju » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:44 am

I think area dileep has house is low lying area and flood prone. Maybe he is busy shifting family.

anishns
BGR Newbie

Post by anishns » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:50 pm

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Is that Hajam Sethi?

Sachin
BGR Oldie

Post by Sachin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:26 am

Raju wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:44 am
I think area dileep has house is low lying area and flood prone. Maybe he is busy shifting family.
Com. Dileep is safe and is also giving updates in BRF. But yes, KL is witnessing a very bad time at this point.

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:40 am

There seems to be messages like this doing rounds in WhatsApp:

"Modi's Foreign Trip Cost: <x,000> crores
Shivaji Statue: <x,000> crores
Sardar Patel Statue: <x,000> Crores
<Some other trivial expense>: <x,000> Crores

Relief to Kerala Floods: 100 Crores Only"

I am sure there are many more like these.

Sachin
BGR Oldie

Post by Sachin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:00 am

Zynda wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:40 am
There seems to be messages like this doing rounds in WhatsApp:
Relief to Kerala Floods: 100 Crores Only"
Honestly, sir. This is actually blowing my fuse. Led to lot of raves & rants on the Kerala Floods thread on BRF. Even in this time of disaster there is political agenda which is being carried out :facepalm: . The kind of venom which is getting spread on social media by "peacefool" gangs is seen to be believed. Kerala should get what ever funds it asks for, should get every single soldier and military equipment out there and once that is done Modi should get off Kerala and immediately resign". It kind of takes away any sympathy we have for the people in genuine distress when many are playing political games with this.

Let me tell you, once the whole calamity is brought under control please await the financial requirements which KL state would put upto GoI. Their Okhi cyclone relief estimates itself was an indication (it was as if the entire state was hit by cyclone, where as only the coastal area was hit). And you know what the KL Govt. had one grand plan to get some relief funds; by raising the excise duty on liquor from 23% to 27%!!.