Nukkad

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
Indrad
BGR Oldie

Re: Nukkad

Post by Indrad » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:35 pm

Saudi Arabia has publicly beheaded a woman after dragging through streets for killing her step daughter.
Barbaria said punishment must be commensurate with crime.

Raja
Forum Moderator

Post by Raja » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:11 am

Purchased a used copy of the book Yoni’s Last Battle from Amazon. Opened it to realize it has Iddo’s autograph - apparently he had gifted it to someone. :mrgreen: For those who don’t know, Iddo and Yoni are Benjamin Netanyahu’s brothers and all 3 served in Sayeret Matkal. Yoni died leading the raid on Entebbe.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:16 am

Indrad wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:24 pm
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/cit ... 594538.cms

Tiger Labrador dog buried with full state honour wrapped in tricolour for outstanding services to UP Police. He cracked over 150 cases over 15 years.
He is the first dog to have risen to the rank of DSP.
and undoubtedly, the most honest!!!

Suraj
BGR Member

Post by Suraj » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:57 pm

Yoni’s Last Battle
That sounds like the story of a group of feminists re-enacting the movie “300”, not one about Yonatan Net&Yahoo .

Raja
Forum Moderator

Post by Raja » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:54 am

Apparently Yoni was quite the worshiper of the Yoni. :mrgreen:

saip
BGR Newbie

Post by saip » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:45 pm

I landed in Vadadora yesterday and oh God what I would do for bottle of beer. To get a liquor permit the many hoops you have to jump through is mind boggling. I tried to get a so called ePermit but gave up in the middle when I realized it is not worth the paper it is printed on as you have to take the printout and go to an idiot babu with all the original docs for getting it stamped (you might as well go to that idiot and fill out the forms and give him copies of the docs which is simpler. Then why call it an ePermit if it is worthless?) I could not find how much I have to pay (could be Rs5000/) and if I am even eligible to get a permit as I am here only for two days (looks like you may not get permit if stay is less than a week) . Next time, if there is one, I will try to smuggle a bottle (Ten years jail and 5 lakhs fine be damned)

saip
BGR Newbie

Post by saip » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:47 pm

Dupe

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:07 pm

saip - don't. unless you have 'background' , don't mess with law in India.

saip
BGR Newbie

Post by saip » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:34 am

I was just kidding. No way, i am going to take THAT risk. I am NOT a 'Drunkard' (another way of getting the permit, if certified as such by a 'Doctor')

Chandragupta
BGR Member

Post by Chandragupta » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:37 am

Stand outside any college in Gujarat and ask someone to arrange a bottle for you, will be there in your hand within 30 minutes. My personal experience with IIM Ahd & MICA.

srikumar
BGR Member

Post by srikumar » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:46 pm

An example of how little attention is paid to getting facts right....

A death in an MRI room in a hospital in Mumbai.

This NDTV report says that the victim was carrying an oxygen cylinder into the MRI room and the machine 'got activated' (really) and he was 'sucked into the machine' and he died.
https://www.ndtv.com/mumbai-news/man-ca ... -topscroll
A man got sucked into an MRI machine at a Mumbai hospital and died minutes after he walked into the room carrying an oxygen cylinder. The family says it was a case of massive negligence, since the machine was turned on when it was supposed to be switched off
This other report of the same event from 'Deccan Herald' says that an oxygen cylinder leaked liquid oxygen which is poisonous and he died because of inhaling liquid oxygen.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/656 ... itals.html
The victim, as directed by the doctor, took the patient to the MRI ward for the scan. There an oxygen cylinder leaked, he said.

The oxygen was in liquid form which is poisonous. The victim inhaled it in an excessive amount and died on the spot, another senior police official said.
One cannot trust anything...

Schmidt
BGR Newbie

Post by Schmidt » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:21 pm

RIP Mort Walker ( creator of Beetle Bailey
comics )

shravanp
BGR Member

Post by shravanp » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:02 pm

srikumar wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:46 pm
Getting 'real' and credible news is next to impossible these days.

I am curious though. Even if rNDTV report is false, is it possible for MRI machines to generate this levels of magnetic fields to kill a human?

shravanp
BGR Member

Post by shravanp » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:11 pm

Gus wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:07 pm
saip - don't. unless you have 'background' , don't mess with law in India.
Last month, attended a wedding in Mumbai on a beach side. We lighted up a few fireworks and immediately cops came around demanding to know who did this. Didn't know they made it illegal to burst firecrackers on beach.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:15 pm

can they have it both ways??

Apparently, they can.

twitter

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:21 pm

shravanp wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:02 pm
srikumar wrote:

I am curious though. Even if rNDTV report is false, is it possible for MRI machines to generate this levels of magnetic fields to kill a human?
forget the MRI machine.

just how the hell does anyone inhale 'liquid" oxygen??

It would cause IMMEDIATE third degree burns wherever it made contact.

Narasimha
BGR Newbie

Post by Narasimha » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:22 pm

You dont use liquid oxygen except in the osygen capsule which will be outside the hospital in a enclosed structure for piped oxygen.

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:06 pm

^^^^^

for most of the traffic violations, one-way is the best way out. when people see that traffic is blocked one way, it gives a lot of data. but, it could be time-bound as well.

the blame is on traffic mgmt, city planning, and people maturity

srikumar
BGR Member

Post by srikumar » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:40 am

shravanp wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:02 pm
srikumar wrote:
True, but that is usually because a lot of news is on political topics, and therefore the bias and spin. The above is of a medical accident and no political aspect to it, and yet the facts are so darn off. This is crazy.

Oxygen liquifies at very low temperature and the cylinder would have been too cold to touch (air moisture would have frozen on it). Oxygen cylinders in hospitals (as I understand) are at room temperature. poster simha has chimed in already. I dont believe there was any liquid oxygen in the cylinder (which means that the Deccan Herald report's cause is made up).

Per NDTV report, the person was killed because his hand was pinned between the machine and the metallic cylinder that was attracted to the magnet, and he suffered mechanical trauma to the arm. The human body itself is fine with such magnetic fields...that's the reason MRIs can be done in the first place.

saip
BGR Newbie

Post by saip » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:07 am

Liquid oxygen? Something is fishy. Can you really liquefy Oxygen and put it in a cylinder? Its critical temperature is -118 C.

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:32 am

it seems heat maps of activity released by Strava the popular running and cycling app is possible to make out military bases, patrol and exercise patterns and lay ambushes and pinpoint living areas for mortar or vbied attacks

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/us-sold ... eststories

the age of everything having a IP address and connection to cloud has its downsides...

errant husbands flying off on business trips but landing up in another ladies place for a spot of decompression therapy might also take note :twisted: - "the cloud watches, the cloud knows" ... a new fitness band product niche could be called "border patrol" - geofences the hubby within bounds and locations set by the suspicious wife and if crossed, delivers a buzz, followed by the electric shock and a SMS to the wife :D

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:35 am

the TN and KL evangelists are fond of absorbing hindu memes into their playbook, yoga is one, the design of some new churches having the KL temple style circular pillar in front is another, depictions of christ in a indianized way is another...

the Naga church does not need to do this, because people are already converted long ago, so its not like they have to don any user friendly garb to "wean" people into the fold. they can afford to be as crude and dismissive as they want and it shows.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:47 am

Singha wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:35 am
the TN and KL evangelists are fond of absorbing hindu memes into their playbook, yoga is one, the design of some new churches having the KL temple style circular pillar in front is another, depictions of christ in a indianized way is another...

the Naga church does not need to do this, because people are already converted long ago, so its not like they have to don any user friendly garb to "wean" people into the fold. they can afford to be as crude and dismissive as they want and it shows.
On some of the hoardings put up by the EJs, I am now seeing a new ranking structure in place to describe their seniority in this dubious trade.

i see "evangelist", "apostle" before their names.

makes me wonder how many popes there are among this predatory lot.

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:51 am

vodafone has out a IVR system in place to link aadhar to mobile using OTP. other providers would have done so too.
https://www.vodafone.in/discover/get-st ... ile-number

Vikas
BGR Member

Post by Vikas » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:40 am

^See how Naga Baptist blah blah has taken up itself responsibility of all Naga students instead of just Naga Baptist students.
Which Idiot came up with 'Naga-Land' instead of Nag-Pradesh as name for a Indian state (I hope not JLN once again).