Nukkad

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
Shakuni
BGR Newbie

Re: Nukkad

Post by Shakuni » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:51 pm

Zynda wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:04 pm
The male engineer who got fired by Google for sending out a memo detailing how gender affects programming or tech ability is now suing Google. But his lawsuit goes off the track by including allegations that Google practices discrimination policies during hiring which are specifically again White male folks; Google encourages or creates an environment which is hostile for conservative white males (he alleges that While males who have conservatory views are booed at meetings, company retreats) etc. So far just one more former Google employee has been part of the party that is suing Google. Their lawyer hopes that more will come out in the open and join the lawsuit.

If his lawsuit was against wrongful termination, perhaps he could have some good grounds but with the above it appears frivolous.
I have a feeling he might have got carried off by the popularity in the conservative circles (Milo/Breitbart/The Rebel Media etc).

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:06 pm

That guy Milo riles me up and I don't even support all liberal policies. Anyways, apparently Robert Downey Jr. is pocketing a cool $100 mil per movie for Avengers 3 & 4...this is his acting fee alone. I believe his contract also includes a part of the total merchandise sales as well. Heck, apparently he charged $15 million for cameo appearance in Spiderman: Homecoming. Outside of Sherlock Homes series, the only notable movies he has done post Iron Man is 'The Due Date' & 'The Judge'. I guess after he is done with Marvel, he would have had close to $300-$400 mil pre-tax. If he chooses he can do all his passion Indie movie projects.

The other A list cast of Avengers must be charging anywhere between $5-$15 mil. So the casting cost alone for A3 & A4 will run in to $200+ million per movie. I am sure Marvel/Disney will be expecting A3 & A4 to break $2 Billion BO World wide individually.

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:36 pm

Zynda wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:04 pm
The male engineer who got fired by Google for sending out a memo detailing how gender affects programming or tech ability is now suing Google. But his lawsuit goes off the track by including allegations that Google practices discrimination policies during hiring which are specifically again White male folks; Google encourages or creates an environment which is hostile for conservative white males (he alleges that While males who have conservatory views are booed at meetings, company retreats) etc. So far just one more former Google employee has been part of the party that is suing Google. Their lawyer hopes that more will come out in the open and join the lawsuit.

If his lawsuit was against wrongful termination, perhaps he could have some good grounds but with the above it appears frivolous.
As a father of daughters who are on the track for engineering in high school and college. I have noticed the following:
Girls will take a systematic approach to solving math and engineering problems and get to the results. They stay on task until completed. This is ideal for completing coursework. One of my daughters has become good at circuit analysis through this type of rigor. Boys may become distracted within the subject they are given and can go off on a tangent toward an alternate solution. Occasionally these alternate solutions becomes quite fruitful. The girls don't question academic or professional opinions and will accept to find a solution within the confines of these authorities, but boys will more often ask why do we things this way and is there a better or faster way? I would say in society there is a place for both.

What does affect females more than males are hormones. Women tend to be more vindictive and hold a grudge for long periods of time for being wronged or what they perceive as being wronged. That can have all sorts of negative repercussions in the work place.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:15 am

Gus wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:13 pm
sith lord steve bannon...out of breitbart.
Deep state didn't rest until they turned him into a buffoon. Now he has to run for president himself but can't do until another seven years. I think he has a good chance. Rightwing is already rallying behind him and it will be complete when they discover Trump is a sell out.

Marten
BGR Member

Post by Marten » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:21 am

Karthik wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:08 am
Don't see any advantage of having double decker stacking. It pushes up CoG, wont have ground clearance where you have electrical lines overhead.
For the road area covered, you can carry nearly twice the load. Electrical lines cannot be laid that low. Besides, not all routes will have such buses. Mumbai had lovely DD routes. These days, I am not quite sure if there are any such buses or routes at all.

Rvishwakarm
BGR Newbie

Post by Rvishwakarm » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:10 pm

Guess the only one running is 332 connecting Andheri and Kurla
Marten wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:21 am
Karthik wrote:
Don't see any advantage of having double decker stacking. It pushes up CoG, wont have ground clearance where you have electrical lines overhead.
For the road area covered, you can carry nearly twice the load. Electrical lines cannot be laid that low. Besides, not all routes will have such buses. Mumbai had lovely DD routes. These days, I am not quite sure if there are any such buses or routes at all.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:53 pm

Rvishwakarm wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:10 pm
Marten wrote:
Karthik wrote:
In bombay, its not easy to find overhead power cables, unless there are some in some suburb where I have not been and so don't know. I am sure that from dadar all the way to colaba, all cables are below ground.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:37 pm

Adult diapers are made for times like this. :wink:

twitter
Turkish Air News

@AnalystTK 7h7 hours ago

Pegasus Airlines skidded out of the runway at Trabzon Airport. New photos in daylight shows Boeing 737 next to the sea. Photos from different Turkish media.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:04 am

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:19 am

Am I the only one getting the feeling that the number of total BRF+BGR posts have dropped compared to the pre-break up BRF posts

Shakuni
BGR Newbie

Post by Shakuni » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:07 am

No, I was wondering the same, frequency has gone down, but that might also be due to many active posters not really migrating (yet).

Raja
Forum Moderator

Post by Raja » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:12 pm

This time I took a SW munna with me to a very large Japani OEM's HQ. After watching him silently take in the drab HQ building with equally drab rooms, corridors and no Silly-con valley type luxuries, I asked him if he wanted to move here - the look of utter horror on the Silly-con valley munna's face was :rotfl:

Shakuni
BGR Newbie

Post by Shakuni » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:03 pm

I think for a lot of SW munnas, the benchmark has been set by the likes of WeWork. I have beer on tap available, part of my subscription. Very chalaak strategy!

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:07 pm

dheerga ayusu.

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:31 am

chetak wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:53 pm
Rvishwakarm wrote:
Marten wrote:

In bombay, its not easy to find overhead power cables, unless there are some in some suburb where I have not been and so don't know. I am sure that from dadar all the way to colaba, all cables are below ground.
Doh! wasn't he talking about railway electrical lines?

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:55 am

Vyoman @saikanomie wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:31 am
chetak wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:53 pm
Rvishwakarm wrote:

Doh! wasn't he talking about railway electrical lines?
DDs and railway electrical lines??

Marten
BGR Member

Post by Marten » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:17 am

Chetak saar, who said there are overhead lines in Mumbai? However, there are cables and wires running across several roads. In any case, DDs were pulled out due to maintenance/wear and tear issues. They would have been useful in places like Bangalore if we didn't have wires running overhead or low underpasses or road-over bridges.

Marten
BGR Member

Post by Marten » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:27 am

Raja wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:12 pm
This time I took a SW munna with me to a very large Japani OEM's HQ. After watching him silently take in the drab HQ building with equally drab rooms, corridors and no Silly-con valley type luxuries, I asked him if he wanted to move here - the look of utter horror on the Silly-con valley munna's face was :rotfl:
Was it in Tokyo? If so, was it in on top of a subway station?

Narasimha
BGR Newbie

Post by Narasimha » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:05 am

The Rahul Mehta pages long rants are enough to immediately close BG. If I see last post as RMC I close the page. That's one reason why BG has decreased readership.

KJo
Forum Moderator

Post by KJo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:26 pm

Raja wrote:
I might be way off here, but my impression of Silicon Valley is that it very glamorous (to the outside world) to work there, the pay is high but the cost of living is high too, you can't save much unless you hit it rich (better chance than other places), and people live in matchboxes paying $2M+ prices and marinate in traffic all the time.
For someone coming in from outside with a family of 4 and used to bigger spaces, how do they adjust? I don't think I would want to live in an apartment again. Townhouse is okay as long as it is decent.

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:46 am

yup.. it is not the pay or cost of living that matters for a maturity. It is the type of job, and what you want to do.

Raja
Forum Moderator

Post by Raja » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:02 am

Marten wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:27 am
Raja wrote:
Was it in Tokyo? If so, was it in on top of a subway station?
No it is in the boonies in Aichi prefecture so take a guess ;) For a nation with such attention to detail and refined art form in everything, their cities and towns can give Howrah and Kanpur a run for their money in turns of drab ugliness and untidy looks. Never ceases to amaze me. On the bojitive side I am thinking of getting a N scale N700 Shinkansen set from the Kato HQ store in Tokyo. And maybe a Rokuhan Z Scale 500 series Shinkansen (my personal favourite coz the N700 looks like a duck billed platypus). They are cheaper here than in massa.

Raja
Forum Moderator

Post by Raja » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:23 am

KJo wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:26 pm
I might be way off here, but my impression of Silicon Valley is that it very glamorous (to the outside world) to work there, the pay is high but the cost of living is high too, you can't save much unless you hit it rich (better chance than other places), and people live in matchboxes paying $2M+ prices and marinate in traffic all the time.
For someone coming in from outside with a family of 4 and used to bigger spaces, how do they adjust? I don't think I would want to live in an apartment again. Townhouse is okay as long as it is decent.
Housing prices are astronomical but its also a popular myth that people live in $2M+ matchboxes. :lol: Sure there are areas where $2M will get you a 12-1500 sq ft matchbox right now (example, Palo Alto) but Palo Alto is not representative of the entire Bay Area and not the only nice area in the Bay Area either (in fact, most of Palo Alto except Professorville and Mahdi's neighborhood is not that nice of an area with high density, next to 101 and E. Palo Alto and stinky marshes bordering it). Let's take you as an example. What type of house do you live in currently (Townhome, Single family, Condo?) and what is the size of the house and size of the lot. Since I know what you do, I can provide you an estimate of what kind of house you can live in here if you worked here.

As far as saving goes, it all comes down to personal spending habits and your family situation. If you are a single earner with a SHQ who never worked + 2 x kids, that is definitely going to be tough vs the mid west if you have less than 10 years of work experience, no question about it. Then there are places in US which are even cheaper than where you are but may not be as nice. It all comes down to you pay for what you want. I have no special attachment to the Bay Area and there are many things I like and dislike about it so I doubt I will retire here anyways. But then same goes for all other places I have lived in or visited - TX, IL, FL, OR etc. etc. If the situation stabilizes in Darjeeling, that's where I want to be eventually.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:07 am

twitter

Where else in the whole world can we find this type of well metricalised Poetry sung in to perfection on rock.
1212 pillars meet in one point. Built by legendry Bharatiya Engineers 1740 yrs ago at Rameswaram Temple.

AdityaM
BGR Newbie

Post by AdityaM » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:55 am

Has the Repoublic Day chiefguest been announced..Any or all ASEAN coming?
Hope india parades all Agni missiles in multiple numbers to drive home a message