Nukkad

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
Singha
Forum Moderator

Re: Nukkad

Post by Singha » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:54 am

africa - the last frontier ... continues to be devastated by greed and weak governance
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/04/worl ... v=top-news

Raja
Forum Moderator

Post by Raja » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:52 am

Singha wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:54 am
africa - the last frontier ... continues to be devastated by greed and weak governance
Several years ago, the Indonesian police rescued a female orangutan who had been shaved and was being used as a prostitute at a brothel. :shock:

srikumar
BGR Member

Post by srikumar » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:36 am

Raja wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:54 pm
Even Jernail Singha’s dreams are more vivid and coherent than my conscious thoughts :oops: :oops:
Indeed. They are also technically correct :lol: The sound was heard a second after the flash, in the dream !! It must have been about 330 m away, haha. BTW, first time I'm reading a description of a missile attack with missile counter-attack, at night when all you see are burning bits of flame in the night-sky. Dramatic.

sum
BGR Newbie

Post by sum » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:02 am

Raja wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:52 am
Singha wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:54 am
Several years ago, the Indonesian police rescued a female orangutan who had been shaved and was being used as a prostitute at a brothel. :shock:
The strange twilight zone where truth is stranger than fiction :o :shock:

srikumar
BGR Member

Post by srikumar » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:56 pm

For singha (and any animalo-phile)....Nice article on a person who can 'communicate' with elephants. From his description, they are very similar to humans in emotion, family/intra-herd bonds and intelligence.

http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/energy ... epage=true

From the artile-“They have genetic memories: route maps are imprinted in their minds and they come back to a place visited by their ancestors. Now humans are eating into their habitat, and blaming them for straying.”

As an aside, there is this railway line somewhere in Orissa that goes through an elephant santuary/jungle. Every 2-3 years you read of an incident where 5 (or 10) elephants are mowed down by a train killing half of them. I hope they reduce the speed of the train in that zone. But one cannot stop elephants from migrating around.

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:36 am

Apparently, Thor Ragnarok had the 2nd best opening weekend in India this year raking in around $5 Million...compared to $56 Million from Chinese BO. No wonder, India is very low on sights of most Hollywood studios. Probably not a bad thing or earth shattering loss.

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:52 am

other than tired old nPr and nCr of the marvel and dc comics universes and disney/pixar stories i see nothing coming out of hollywood mainstream these days. actors are unwanted and not apply, voiceovers and green screening is the norm now.

smaller studios somethings do good work like "free state of jones"

Mort Walker
BGR Member

Post by Mort Walker » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:22 am

Zynda wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:36 am
Apparently, Thor Ragnarok had the 2nd best opening weekend in India this year raking in around $5 Million...compared to $56 Million from Chinese BO. No wonder, India is very low on sights of most Hollywood studios. Probably not a bad thing or earth shattering loss.
Bahubali made $12 million opening weekend in 2015. In April 2017, Bahubali 2 made $65 million within India by the end of the third day. So the argument that Indian movie audiences won't spend the money on films falls flat.

What this means is that Thor Ragnarok had nothing compelling for Indian audiences. I saw the movie and found nothing compelling to it, but it fits in to the Marvel Comics Universe (MCU) culminating in Avengers Infinity War.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:33 am

it is an overload of superhero and sequels/franchise movies..

i sometimes watch the same movie again and have no recollection of plot and it's almost like seeing it for first time..the retention and impressions are so low...

Marten
BGR Member

Post by Marten » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:56 am

Gus wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:33 am

i sometimes watch the same movie again and have no recollection of plot and it's almost like seeing it for first time..the retention and impressions are so low...
Why not enjoy the feeling Saar?

Imagine GHQ ka mazaa from SHQ! :lol:

Zynda
BGR Member

Post by Zynda » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:37 pm

Gus saar, like Marten has mentioned, why not savour the experience like viewing for the first time. But it is true for GA, superhero fatigue has been setting in.

Marvel like clockwork has scheduled 3 movies per year. I may actually start withdrawing from MCU movies after Avengers 4 (when current crop of A-list actors/characters i.e. Iron Man, Cap, Thor are scheduled to depart MCU).

DCEU has "plans" for string of releases but it seems like some of the plans panning out will depend on how well JL does. With Jeff Johns at the helm of DCEU now (just like Kevin Fiege at MCU is), WB/DCEU will try to distant itself from Synder/Nolan type Dark-serious tones and try to Marvelise themselves...ugh!

Apparently, Disney is gonna release a Star Wars movie each year for the next 10 years...LOL. Definitely will take the charm out of Star Wars with that move.

abhik
BGR Newbie

Post by abhik » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:56 pm

Was watching videos on youtube, and I get this ad by apparently by the australian government in tamil along the lines of "Dont try to illegally immigrate to Aus by boat, its dangerous etc.". :?

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:54 pm

Watch "Kaun Afzal Guru ? A Reply from Soldier to Anti-Nationalists"

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/836248866504622080

nachiket
BGR Newbie

Post by nachiket » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:52 pm

Singha wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:37 pm
have been having another recurring dream lately , hopefully not another premonition.

place - night at jodhpur. i am having dinner with family in some restaurant atop the fort and looking down at the pleasing lights of the town below.

The war has began

I hurriedly grab my wards and make my way down the stairs to see about buying a bus ticket or renting a taxi back to delhi since I assume civilian flights will cease now
Wow! Singha saar, your subconscious is prodding you to get back to developing scenarios.

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:52 am

Gus wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:33 am

i am fuzzy about the transfomers, fast & furious and avengers movies. there have been so many.
Thor too now. the new thor is smaller physically vs the old one.

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:56 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/06/worl ... sContainer

details of US HQed cos stashing revenue abroad incl channel islands

in all this ecosystem you will see that london pays a central role. its truly the center of the alternate universe. its feeders are various tax havens across the world incl the channel islands

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:59 pm

err..what's going on in KSA

Mahakala
BGR Newbie

Post by Mahakala » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:01 pm

Housekeeping :D

chilarai
BGR Newbie

Post by chilarai » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:04 pm

Indigo personnel pins a passenger to the ground ..apologises once the video is public . The employee who took the video is fired !
IndiGo staff manhandle passenger, airline apologises

Singha
Forum Moderator

Post by Singha » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:17 am

another turko persophile ashrafi mansabdar line comes to its logical end ... the House of the nawab of awadh is no more

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/prince- ... eststories

Marten
BGR Member

Post by Marten » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:40 am

chilarai wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:04 pm
Indigo personnel pins a passenger to the ground ..apologises once the video is public . The employee who took the video is fired !
IndiGo staff manhandle passenger, airline apologises
Saw the video last night. Thugs were itching for a fight. There is some kind of covert op against Indigo, but their ground staff are doing their best to screw up. What happened with Sindhu was inexcusable. One spokie actually implied she was lying! Plain and simple, they were chucking the kit bags around like they do for cricket kits. And when confronted, started getting aggressive and hostile. And the Co actually stood by the chap even though they knew he was at fault. Same thing happened to a friend of mine. His mom was physically pushed out of the queue despite being a very quiet and introverted person. He got someone high up to call and talk about bring video evidence about the staff being hostile (flight was full and they were trying to offload folks based on who could protest or not). Even then the Stn Manager was defensive and threatened to blacklist the passenger!

Imagine the guts.

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:19 am

Any suggestion for air purifier ?

Marten
BGR Member

Post by Marten » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:02 am

jamwal wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:19 am
Any suggestion for air purifier ?
I have a Moonbow at home and bought a Honeywell for my relative.
Avoid Philips or Mi.

Honeywell at 9k is a great value. Go with that!

gauravsh
BGR Newbie

Post by gauravsh » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:41 pm

Lots of restaurants are deducting tax without having GST number. Nothing is specified on the bill.
I recently ordered something using Zomato and was charged with corresponding tax.
However, on the bill there was no GST number. When i inquired, usual talk of getting it in 2-3 days. How do i report them ?
Shouldn't Zomato be held responsible for this too ?

Dileep
Site Admin

Post by Dileep » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:18 am

An eatery here got caught for charging 18% "GST" without registration. The Legal Metrology folk are the authority for this, not sure on what principle.

You can check the GST ID here: https://services.gst.gov.in/services/searchtp