How to reduce / end cow slaughter in India?

News and Discussions about politics, current affairs, international relations, economy, elections, state level politics etc.
This forum is strictly moderated.
MehtaRahulC
BGR Member

How to reduce / end cow slaughter in India?

Post by MehtaRahulC » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:45 pm

Pls share you views on what laws can be printed at State or National or both levels to reduce or better end cow slaughter in India.

KJo
Forum Moderator

Re: How to reduce / end cow slaughter in India?

Post by KJo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:38 pm

My questions:

1. Why should cow slaughter be reduced or stopped? Many Hindus eat beef themselves.
2. How to reconcile this with our "secular" constitution?
3. Should beef ban be equated with doing something that is supposed to match with the majority community (like in Islamic countries)?

dsreedhar
BGR Newbie

Post by dsreedhar » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:25 pm

How about -
- Cow slaughter ban to respect and protect the culture/religious belief of the majority,
- Allow import of cow beef from outside for those who love to eat it

Would that be a good compromise and mutually respectful?

KJo
Forum Moderator

Post by KJo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:58 pm

dsreedhar wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:25 pm
How about -
- Cow slaughter ban to respect and protect the culture/religious belief of the majority,
- Allow import of cow beef from outside for those who love to eat it

Would that be a good compromise and mutually respectful?
Some mid ground would work I think.
I eat beef and don't feel guilty about it. In my way of thinking, there is no difference between chicken and beef. If I quit, then I will quit all meat. Maybe some day in my old age. But I have no problems to give up beef if I was living in India because of cultural reasons. However, many might not agree.

Islamic countries have killed/converted all non Muslims so I guess it's not the same situation. What would a practical next step in India?

Maybe to start with, shut down all illegal slaughterhouses and allow only the legal ones. I think Yogi is doing this right now. Then put other restrictions gradually.

To really ban beef, we have to declare India officially as a Hindu nation. I am all for it. I don't have any pretenses of wanting to be "secular" any more. But I don't think it is practical.

Your solution of banning all beef and then only exporting may be a good plan too. It will be more expensive, but that is the price that beef eaters have to pay.

krisna
BGR Newbie

Post by krisna » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:59 pm

beef means any of cattle forms.
Hindus eat non cow cattle forms.
when one says Hindus eat beef-- does not always equate with cow slaughter and eating.

Traditionally Hindus do not eat female forms of animals also for sacrifices etc. This includes cow.

dsreedhar
BGR Newbie

Post by dsreedhar » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:18 pm

The controversy is around cow and not buffalo (cara beef) I think. So the buffalo meat continues.

KJo
Forum Moderator

Post by KJo » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:59 pm

I think there is a lot of confusion around "beef ban" and what beef means. And "Hindus" assumes it is monolithic. I don't think that's the case.

MehtaRahulC
BGR Member

Post by MehtaRahulC » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:52 am

Many people DELIBERATELY mix cause of cow slaughter ban with "beef" to create confusion. Those who want LEGAL ban and imprisonment on cow slaughter have NEVER EVER demanded legal ban on buffalo beef, goat meat, lamb meat etc. Despite this, some people mix "cow slaughter ban cause" with buffalo etc meats
The majority Hindus in most states across India do support imprisonment on cow slaughter. So without listening to bhashans of "liberals" and "progressives" on "right to choose food", the "regressive" Hindus (like myself) , who want ban on cow slaughter, should print laws to imprison those who slaughter cows (NOT buffalo) for say 5 years.
Using statewide referendum, imo, it is possible to get imprisonment laws in ALL states except JK / NE and perhaps Kerala. Even in WB, anti-cow-slaughter laws will pass. In Kerala too, many Muslims and Christians may support cow slaughter ban, and so referendum may pass in Kerala as well, but yes --- Kerala is a doubtful borderline case.
And states which are banning cow slaughter should imprison those who take cows to slaughtering states. This will force slaughtering states like JK / NE to raise their own cows. Raising cows in JK / NE is too expensive compared to goats, buffalo etc due to rains, terrain, forests etc. These stats mostly slaughter cows that they buy from other states. So once interstate cow sales regulated, defacto, cow slaughter will stop in JK / NE states as well.
Interstate trade is in union list. So Loksabha can print a money bill to ban movement of cows from non-slaughter states to slaughtering states. And imprison those who move cows interstate for slaughtering purpose.

MehtaRahulC
BGR Member

Post by MehtaRahulC » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:59 am

Indian express, 16-oct-2017
http://indianexpress.com/article/explai ... y-4892081/
Beyond The News: What rising imports at a time of declining manufacturing indicate

Data sets read together suggest demonetisation broke domestic supply chains, and disruption caused by GST compounded problems; meanwhile, with remonetisation, demand rose, and was met by imports. .....