The Great Indian Political Drama - 1 (Oct 2017 - Mar 2018)

The Archive forum serves as a repository for topics that have been closed from the other forums. They serve as a database for future reference.
Primus
Forum Moderator

Re: The Great Indian Political Drama - Oct 2017

Post by Primus » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:39 pm

Why is it that some people can only post negative comments or only gloom and doom stories. Is there no silver lining anywhere at all?

Never mind, the agenda is obvious......... should have known better.

fanne
BGR Member

Post by fanne » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:45 pm

Primus, it means if you are north Indian and since the Goan minister is from BJP (or ally), you should not vote for BJP. Is that so tough? I am north Indian but in spite of the news I will vote BJP. Thanks

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:30 pm

Trilobite wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:35 pm
This is shocking, the goan minister call north Indian tourists "scum of the earth". This is gonna piss off a lot of north Indians!

"North Indian Tourists Want To Create A Haryana In Goa": Minister
It's from ndtv. I will wait for confirmation.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:35 pm

fanne wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:45 pm
Primus, it means if you are north Indian and since the Goan minister is from BJP (or ally), you should not vote for BJP. Is that so tough? I am north Indian but in spite of the news I will vote BJP. Thanks
Trollbaits always come in as subtle posters, with a big ego that they can outsmart the entire forum membership and convert them into BJP haters. After hitting a wall unable to make any progress, their masks fall off and they become more and more desperate. This is repeated ad nausea by the next troll bait in line.

Raju
BGR Newbie

Post by Raju » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:45 am

So Nehru has qualifications in drafting financial instruments, what about IG?.
Nehru & IG had a team whom they entrusted this work. Sometimes the team members did it well and in some cases they enriched themselves. They were image conscious leaders but were not strung up about it.

Either ways I am not saying one way was better than the other but just pointing out a few obvious facts for comparison. So even if Modi is well-intentioned I would be surprised he can get much work done in this style.
U must also be batting for RG. I am sure he has a lot of experience in Govt accounting, Just tell everyone how much you lost during demo and we can then adjust our baseline bullshit meter for you
these accusations speak more about you than about me. Isn't it. Also didn't know you had built-up a corpus to refund those who had 'lost during demo' and the amount of which was determined as per the swings on your 'baseline bullshit meter". Bullshit is still used in India for various purposes and it doesn't bear well for an Indian to casually fling about american jargons without realizing its role in our context.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:06 am

Trilobite wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:15 pm
Supratik wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:28 pm
Tribolite,

Scroll is a Maoist website. Even then I started reading it as you are claiming the Ujjwala scheme to be a failure. After a few paragraphs I stopped as there were many fallacies. Bottomline is that similar claims were made for Jan Dhan accounts which was touted as failure. Today they have 70000 crores plus deposits. The fundamental issue is that the scheme is meant for the poor. So paying for the refill is going to be an issue but will ease with time as incomes rise. Similarly they are giving free electricity connections to households that don't have it. Initially people will struggle to pay for the electricity. None of this means the schemes are failure as the purpose is to bring services to the poor. With time and rising incomes these issues are going to go down.

Can you the catch 22 in your logic?

Rise in income will push them above BPL line then they won't qualify for the scheme which is meant for poor! Failure of the scheme is actually built in, a person living below BPL income obviously can not afford to spend the money needed to buy another cylinder after the free one runs out. That is what has mostly happened in the rural areas.
Nothing happens overnight.

These commie rotters have run KER , WB and Tripura into the ground with their "scam schemes", over the decades, while assiduously lining their own pockets, rigging elections, capturing booths, running their own local version of license permit raj, a lesson well learned from the gandhi legacy.

So, in a country with over a billion people, these guys are complaining that some unfortunate people are not able to garner the full extent of govt benefits??

So what?? Is the govt discriminating against these people?? excluding them?? They have been missed out due to some systemic inefficiencies and it is being corrected on a daily basis.

No need to fear, the govt will get there, sooner rather than later.

And this is their great fear.

Deans
BGR Newbie

Post by Deans » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:29 am

Trilobite wrote:
This is shocking, the goan minister call north Indian tourists "scum of the earth". This is gonna piss off a lot of north Indians!

What Indian tourism should introspect on is that Sri Lanka attracts more International tourists than all the beach destinations of India combined.
Goa is over-hyped as a destination. A lot of tourists are `white trash'. North Indian tourists probably spend more in Goa.
Kerala might have been a better destination for discerning tourists, but for the alcohol ban and militant labour. No all tourists can afford to go to
a 5 star, if they just want to relax over a beer on a hot afternoon.
We have failed to develop other beach destinations (which is ironical because tourism is the best way to create low end jobs). It is easier and cheaper to fly from India to Phuket, Bali or Sri Lanka and stay there, than in the Andamans. (I started Go Air's first flight to the Andamans in 2011).

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:09 am

Foreign tourists are afraid of getting sick in India. India is very dirty in comparison to even Sri Lanka. Even though there are a lot of videos from back packers saying it's not at all as bad as made out to be and how they got through the trip fine, there are still concerns about cleanliness and falling sick.

Also, there are (unfounded) concerns about safety. The highly publicized rape cases by libtard media is the reason for baseless fears about safety in India.

Also there is not much awareness of cleanliness and appearances among food vendors in India, especially street food. The govt. must issue some guide lines to maintain some standards for cleanliness. While being clean is important, appearing clean is also important. A coat of paint once or twice near the black sooted near the stoves, replacing the vessels dented beyond recognition, wearing clean pair of clothes instead of being half naked in chaddi, banian will help.

Some things that foreigners avoid in India
1. cold foods. They only eat cooked foods
2. Meat. Some how they think meat is not clean in India because it does not come out of assembly line factories with govt. inspectors and certification
3. Of course, ordinary water. They drink only bottled water

Countries like vietnam which is not much richer than us have better cleanliness than us since many years. I am sure Indian food vendors make much more money than vendors in those countries. They should invest some of it back to attract more customers.

Supratik
Forum Moderator

Post by Supratik » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:13 am

Tirbolite,

As the income of the country increases the poverty line also increases. So what you are saying is wrong.

hanumadu
BGR Oldie

Post by hanumadu » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:51 pm

https://twitter.com/sastrychada/status/ ... 4265109504
LOOTED INDIAN చాడా‏
@sastrychada
Follow Follow @sastrychada
More
I am a Modi fan. After recent budget my son asked me what yr Modi did to our salaried class. Just i made a rough calculation of his monthly savings comparing 2013 n 2018 budgets. Now he is convinced.
@muglikar_

Primus
Forum Moderator

Post by Primus » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:57 pm

hanumadu wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:09 am
Foreign tourists are afraid of getting sick in India. India is very dirty in comparison to even Sri Lanka. Even though there are a lot of videos from back packers saying it's not at all as bad as made out to be and how they got through the trip fine, there are still concerns about cleanliness and falling sick.

Also, there are (unfounded) concerns about safety. The highly publicized rape cases by libtard media is the reason for baseless fears about safety in India.

Also there is not much awareness of cleanliness and appearances among food vendors in India, especially street food. The govt. must issue some guide lines to maintain some standards for cleanliness. While being clean is important, appearing clean is also important. A coat of paint once or twice near the black sooted near the stoves, replacing the vessels dented beyond recognition, wearing clean pair of clothes instead of being half naked in chaddi, banian will help.

Some things that foreigners avoid in India
1. cold foods. They only eat cooked foods
2. Meat. Some how they think meat is not clean in India because it does not come out of assembly line factories with govt. inspectors and certification
3. Of course, ordinary water. They drink only bottled water

Countries like vietnam which is not much richer than us have better cleanliness than us since many years. I am sure Indian food vendors make much more money than vendors in those countries. They should invest some of it back to attract more customers.
As 'foreigners', those of us living abroad are highly susceptible to Delhi-belly and such. You lose your immunity within months of leaving India. Those born outside the country (and therefore never having lived there) are even more at risk. Typically most tourists are very careful and avoid uncooked foods and tap water.

In all my years of visiting India, I never fell sick until two years ago on a trip to Rajasthan where I was violently ill with fever of 104, etc, all from eating fish kebab at a high end place. It may have been the one piece that was bad but that was enough.

We tend to forget that the food in 5-star places is actually prepared by the lowest paid mundu in the kitchen who is tasked with chopping the dhaniya/pudina and his personal hygiene may be questionable. Of all the culprits, it is the chutneys and raw condiments that carry the highest risk for this very reason and also because they sit around for hours or days in the heat of the kitchens.

In that context, street food is probably safer. I've eaten many times in Chandni Chowk, at the famous Paranthe Wali Gali and surrounding places, right off the vendor's cart at times. If your plate is clean, the food is well-cooked and you avoid raw stuff, you will be OK most of the time. As a rule, you NEVER drink water that is not from a sealed bottle you have opened yourself.

I wrote a guide to avoiding food-poisoning that I give out to my family and friends, most of it is simple common sense.

As for India vs the rest is concerned, I agree, we have a long way to go. I've traveled to many countries that are poorer, like Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Peru, Ecuador and the food hygiene is much better. Having said that, travelers' diarrhea in resource-limited countries is a real problem and it is best to observe the same precautions everywhere.

Primus
Forum Moderator

Post by Primus » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:59 pm

hanumadu wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:35 pm

Trollbaits.............
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Primus
Forum Moderator

Post by Primus » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:28 pm

Deans wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:29 am

What Indian tourism should introspect on is that Sri Lanka attracts more International tourists than all the beach destinations of India combined.
Goa is over-hyped as a destination. A lot of tourists are `white trash'. North Indian tourists probably spend more in Goa.
Kerala might have been a better destination for discerning tourists, but for the alcohol ban and militant labour. No all tourists can afford to go to
a 5 star, if they just want to relax over a beer on a hot afternoon.
We have failed to develop other beach destinations (which is ironical because tourism is the best way to create low end jobs). It is easier and cheaper to fly from India to Phuket, Bali or Sri Lanka and stay there, than in the Andamans. (I started Go Air's first flight to the Andamans in 2011).
Two of my classmates in college were from Sri Lanka and I had several other friends from there, from the Maldives, Malaysia and Mauritius.

One of the things that was obvious was that all these places seemed to be 'better developed' in terms of ease of travel, tourism, access to consumer goods etc. What they lacked in of course was high-end education which is why they all came to India. At that time travel in India was a nightmare and tourism was hardly on any agenda.

Things have changed a lot in all these years, but I am sure they could be better. In the world of leisure-travel, it is all about perception. You build it and sell it, they will come.

One of my first memories of England was how much they manage to sell themselves despite being so limited in natural beauty. We lived in Somerset initially and there were ads on TV and in the local papers about 'Wookey Hole - Dont go there alone". Basically it was a small cave that had stalagmites and stalactites in it, they had lit up the interior and were charging a huge entrance fee. I was aghast.

India is a thousand times more abundant and yet the only thing we manage to sell is the Taj Mahal and Rajasthan. People think of these two when India is mentioned as a tourist destination, the thousands of miles of coastline, the mountains, lakes, valleys and rivers are all side-lined.

I am a wildlife enthusiast and have traveled extensively in search of beauty in the wild. My single experience at Nagarhole two years ago left me very disappointed. There is so much more that can be done. People are willing to pay top dollar for a good viewing experience. Londolozi in South Africa charges $1500 per person per night, there are other private concessions in Africa that charge even more. What they offer is something unique although the animals are still the same. Indian tourism could do well to learn from such places.

We have a lot more going for India than just Yoga retreats and Taj Mahal.

Trilobite
BGR Member

Post by Trilobite » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:50 pm

Supratik wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:13 am
Tirbolite,

As the income of the country increases the poverty line also increases. So what you are saying is wrong.

Sutrapik,

you do have a point, but when the income rises prices also rise, especially in India where average inflation rate is very high almost same rate as the real growth rate.

Trilobite
BGR Member

Post by Trilobite » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:57 pm

hanumadu wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:30 pm
Trilobite wrote:

It's from ndtv. I will wait for confirmation.
Well here you go, now the question is why is this asshole not been fired yet?

Domestic tourists are scum of the earth: Goa minister Vijai Sardesai

fanne
BGR Member

Post by fanne » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:16 pm

Because the anti-Modi faction within BJP wants him to continue, so that BJP loses NI votes and loses election. Why aren't you happy?

Trilobite
BGR Member

Post by Trilobite » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:33 pm

So what do you guys make of first Indian PM visit to Palestine? What is the purpose? Tampering down the domestic muslim anger towards BJP before the 2019 election? Seeking muslim vote for 2019? Appeasement?

Modi by being the first PM to visit Palestine has bowled a googly! Hard for his supporters and detractors to make out what he is upto!

Sachin
BGR Oldie

Post by Sachin » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:46 pm

Trilobite wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:33 pm
Modi by being the first PM to visit Palestine has bowled a googly! Hard for his supporters and detractors to make out what he is upto!
And we must remember he also visited Israel some time back. That visit had upset lots of "seculars", and now he goes and makes a visit to Palestine confusing the "communals".

Supratik
Forum Moderator

Post by Supratik » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:09 pm

Tribolite,

In a growing economy everything will rise i.e. GDP, income, inflation, cost of living, poverty line. A country becomes rich when GDP and income rises faster than inflation and poverty line. This is high school economics. So your original argument suggests a lack of understanding of basic economics. There are two options. The country becomes richer. Which means many people are no longer BPL and they can afford to buy gas. The country does not become richer and people continue BPL. In the second case they don't loose out if the get free gas connections. Either way this does not prove your claim obtained from a Maoist website that the scheme is a failure.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:26 pm

Trilobite wrote:
So what do you guys make of first Indian PM visit to Palestine? What is the purpose? Tampering down the domestic muslim anger towards BJP before the 2019 election? Seeking muslim vote for 2019? Appeasement?

We have vital interests to protect in the gulf region.

We have millions of people of Indian origin working there and Modi does not want any backlash from fanatic gulf muslims against the Indian workers.

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:40 pm

chetak wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:26 pm
Trilobite wrote:

We have millions of people of Indian origin working there and Modi does not want any backlash from fanatic gulf muslims against the Indian workers.
Good chanakiyan theory, so if NM hadn't visited palestine and araphat's burial place, "our people" will face backlash?
Or just because he visited palestine in Feb 2018, there won't be any backlash in the future? KSA, Egypt themselves have relations with Israel and you can hear people in subcontinent complaining that they don't care for palestinians. Why should we show love to them to brown nose arabs?
KSA, UAE visits are fine from business and economic investments POV. Palestine is nothing but "internal politics."

Should have atleast visited when those guys stopped supporting pakis on kashmir. Govt and rest of India can't suck upto or bow down to arabs just coz Indian people are working there.

JohnTitor
BGR Member

Post by JohnTitor » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:01 pm

I have to agree. Modi visiting or not makes little difference to the workers there. I have lived in the Middle East and the only reason Indians, Bangladeshis, Philippinos are allowed to work there is because they will do it cheaper. Has nothing to do with love for India or anyone else. Nor will Modi’s Palestine visit change anything for these workers.

As long as there is work to be done and Indians can do it for cheaper they are allowed to stay. Having said that, neither Indians nor any non-white are treated with great respect. The respect hierarchy goes like this: local arabs, followed by other Arabs, then whites and then everyone else. Everyone who has lived there will tell you the same

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:11 pm

Karthik wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:40 pm
chetak wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:26 pm
Trilobite wrote:

Good chanakiyan theory, so if NM hadn't visited palestine and araphat's burial place, "our people" will face backlash?
Or just because he visited palestine in Feb 2018, there won't be any backlash in the future? KSA, Egypt themselves have relations with Israel and you can hear people in subcontinent complaining that they don't care for palestinians. Why should we show love to them to brown nose arabs?
KSA, UAE visits are fine from business and economic investments POV. Palestine is nothing but "internal politics."

Should have atleast visited when those guys stopped supporting pakis on kashmir. Govt and rest of India can't suck upto or bow down to arabs just coz Indian people are working there.
Just public relations. Nothing else.

He is not one to pander to muslims which is their major grouse against him anyway, no??

Supratik
Forum Moderator

Post by Supratik » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:16 pm

The reason why India still engages with the Muslim world inspite of change in govt and opposition to it from within the Sangh/nationalists is three fold. First, is to protect the nearly 10 million Indians employed there. Second, they don't want to put the entire Arab/Muslim world "totally" on Pakistan side and want to get their support for various international causes e.g. entry into UNSC. Third, to keep the Left-INC in India at bay. Palestine visit is only for optics while we do real business with Israel.

Trilobite
BGR Member

Post by Trilobite » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:04 pm

Supratik wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:09 pm
Tribolite,

In a growing economy everything will rise i.e. GDP, income, inflation, cost of living, poverty line. A country becomes rich when GDP and income rises faster than inflation and poverty line. This is high school economics. So your original argument suggests a lack of understanding of basic economics. There are two options. The country becomes richer. Which means many people are no longer BPL and they can afford to buy gas. The country does not become richer and people continue BPL. In the second case they don't loose out if the get free gas connections. Either way this does not prove your claim obtained from a Maoist website that the scheme is a failure.
Come on it is not rocket science and it is not hard to understand that BPL poor making under RS 32/day in rural area and making Rs 47/day in urban area simply can not afford refills with that kind of income. Labelling Business-standard ( yes they sourced the article from Scroll, but once they decide to publish it, they own it) a Maoist site is pointless. Argue with the facts.

In India poor people come in all shapes and sizes and a lot of them do use gas for cooking but these are not your BPL poors.