Indian Tax Laws - Current & Future

News and Discussions about politics, current affairs, international relations, economy, elections, state level politics etc.
This forum is strictly moderated.
MehtaRahulC
BGR Member

Re: Indian Tax Laws - Current & Future

Post by MehtaRahulC » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:27 am

It is customary amongst apex leaders of all parties , all political party workers and all SALARIED people to brand all SMMTO = small medium manufacturers and traders owners as tax evaders , criminals , chor ( = thieves) etc. And in contrast, these leaders , salaried people etc project LMBO = large manufactures traders owners as good guys, people who pay all due taxes and so on.
Much depends on what one wants to see and what one does NOT want to see.
The small / medium company owners evaded excise by (1) under reporting sales by 40% to 80% by doing that business in "no bill, no excise all cash" basis and (2) split company into 2 or 3 or 10 companies, each company showing on-paper revenue beloe Rs 1.50 crore. The large could NOT have split company into 500 units and so they paid excise
Likewise, service tax had rule that a firm with service below Rs 10 lakh will be taxed at 0% and 15% thereafter. So many service providers did company splitting
Now lets see the benefits that large owners get over small owners
(1) Large manage to get natural resources at pittance price - eg Tata pays Re 1 per year per ACRE royalty from his coal mine in Jharkhand. It went on from 1946 till 2015, and dont know current status. Whereas small / medium have to pay Rs 2000 per tonne of coal to Rs 10000 per tonne
(2) Most large got huge amount of plots from British before 1946. eg Godrej has 3400 ACRES = about 1.3 crore square meter of land in Mumbai alone, which it got from British before 1946. And same for about 200 families who were loyal to British
(3) Even after 1947, large continued to get huge amount of land from pittance from ALL Govts -- no matter which party was ruling. eg ABV sold PSU Modern Food to Hindustan Lever for Rs 200 crore , while MF owned land worth Rs 2000 crore market price of THAT day in Delhi alone !! And MF owned huge plots across India. So Hindustan Lever got all that land for pittance. And Congress govt too has a LOOONG list
(4) Most small/medium dont get bank loans and depend on private loans where interest is 2% to 4% a month. Many small even end up paying 5% to 10% (and very small end up paying 30% a month !!) . While large get loans for 1% to 1.5% a month from PSU banks and they have option not to repay by creating NPA !!
(5) apex-Ministers, apex-IAS, apex-judges all prefer to favor large over small
(6) Foreign large were one step ahead --- thru Mauritius treaty they got tax exemption on income, capital gains and what not
Now small / medium manufacturers have to compete against large.
And so they exploited whatever loopholes they can --- cash sales, company splitting etc
----------------
Now why did leaders across parties, and IAS / judges gave such nefarious benefits to large? Obviously, because these Nbj got nefarious favors in return.
Now many salaried people insist that ONLY the tax-evasion that small-medium do should be seen and the nefarious favors that large are getting and nefarious favors that leaders/IAS/judges got should NOT be discussed !!! And this is particularly true for those who get hefty salaries and are associated with large company owners
And thats precisely the logic behind "no discuss wealth tax, focus ONLY on GST vs excise comparision" !!
And salaried people have a great argument in favor of large --- see , the large are NOT breaking any law by not paying wealth tax on their miles of plots. Because there is no wealth tax on trusts !! The arguments looks like "see, British never broke any law in India" !!!
-----------
But when national interest are to be seen, one should see that nefarious favors that large get are doing far far more damage then cash sales and company splitting. And cash sale and company splitting increased because of laws like excise , CST, vat, service tax and NOT LESS due to income tax. And wealth tax prompts ZERO cash sales and company splitting. The pro-GST people at the end of the day ONLY want to curb tax evasion and not fix the fundamental flaws that tax system has "dont tax land, tax goods heavily and moderately tax income" where as it should be opposite-- "land should be taxed more, income as moderate rate, and goods at lowest or zero rates".

MehtaRahulC
BGR Member

Re: Indian Tax Laws - Current & Future

Post by MehtaRahulC » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:39 pm

from GST thread,
SRoy wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:18 am
Rahul Mehta Ji,

I would personally not like to pay a single penny extra over my regular taxes for road use and continue to drive my car. If it sounds selfish let it be.

The reason? Vehicular traffic is one aspect of road. The government having taken the tax monies of mine, my father's and my grandfather's have not shown even a minuscule intent to make the road usable for me. I can't walk on the sidewalks, because it has been encroached upon. By whom? By those that don't pay taxes. Hawkers spill over on main carriage way? They are again non-tax payers.

My vehicle undergoes unnatural wear and tear and yet the government misuses my tax monies to do a hogwash of repair by awarding the job to shoddy contractors, the repair which washes away with first shower. Are you done with your fake concern for pedestrian?
Show me your DRAFT to evict encroachments and to ban of roadside hawking. Be done with that. Pedestrians will have lot of space for themselves.
If people in Govt are bad, then well, change the people in Govt, and change laws including tax laws. If you think that national or state level or local Nbjprie are wasting away your tax money, then change them and find better ones. And replace law-A by law-B, and rteplace tax-law-C by tax-law-D. But beyond a point, tax amount cant go down from what is "minimally" needed. Not payinbg tyaxes weakens military, poicemen, courts etc and so not paying taxes is open invitation to external enemies and internal corruption.
And what is minimally needed tax depends on how much is enemy is spending. If enemy spends tons on Military, then we need to spend tons and so taxes go up. And if enemy or rival nation makes better roads etc, then we also need to make good roads or else efficiency ratios will worsens. If enemy nation or rival nation spends tons on maths / science education, then we need to spend too or else their engineers will be better than ours. So to a consideble extent, "minimally needed taxes" depend on much is enemy spending
As per roads, I only want vehicle users to bear all costs and want non-vehicle-owners to bear zero costs of roads, footpaths, traffic police, unchargeable parking sports etc. I want max amount to fall on petrol and less on excise of vehicle because expensive car or cheap cars --- burden on road is almost same. The duty can depend on length / width / height of car, but not much on car cost.
For footpatyh encroachment, pls see thread on footpaths