The Great Indian Political Drama - 4

News and Discussions about politics, current affairs, international relations, economy, elections, state level politics etc.
This forum is strictly moderated.
chetak
Forum Moderator

Re: The Great Indian Political Drama - 4

Post by chetak » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:00 am

Aarti Tikoo Singh@AartiTikoo · Oct 10

Major setback to the Left liberal allies of jihadis in India. The US based Foreign Policy has published a piece on jihadism in South Asia, saying its roots are in the Deobandi movement. It says Indian Muslims joining ISIS abroad, are the new face of the Islamic State, globally!

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:51 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f51iAPa ... =emb_title

Selective Tolerance: Saga of Delhi Riots 2020 by Ms Monika Arora

crams
Forum Moderator

Post by crams » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:02 am

Forumites, this is CramS, many of you know me. I have not posted here in while. I used to, but then got used to posting on BR. I have decided to part ways with BR at least for the time being because I am a little puzzled by some the mods there who see me as troll or forum baiter. They must be living in an alternate universe for accusing me of all people. Of course, they have a right to detest my opinions, but to attack me as troll, give me break. I have never violated any forum rule. i don't have time for that kind of crap.

But before I post anything here, a question to Mods: Muns et. al: I wonder if the same set of moderators are admins here? Is there some strange rule here also, where someone doesn't like my opinion (even its articulated within forum rules), then it becomes trolling? If so, please feel free to advice me to stay away. I will abide by that. Many of you know where I stand on India, TSP, USA etc.

Muns
Forum Moderator

Post by Muns » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:47 am

CRamsgaru,

I definitely know where you stand. Like they say life is one of experience. Let me share a little bit of mine so that hopefully we may be able to relate a little bit. BR has been around for at least two decades. I spent the formulate of part of my life, growing up on the forums especially the military and strategic forums among others debating as well as learning I feel for many years. I even, organized one of the early meets in NJ as an early American immigrant over a decade ago. Many of the gurus there including yourself, I have come to appreciate. However there comes a time that I felt, I wasn’t really achieving much with regard to the status quo. Granted, all of us armchair generals can talk as much as we want especially with regard to news media, but on the ground level, I really felt that we weren’t taking BR message to the aam admi where it counts.

God knows how many state elections we have all had to watch with disdain and disbelief with regard to the outcome. Why? Because I realized, BRs message from Gurus such as yourself were just not making it down to those that mattered.
Out of such frustration I decided to do what I can with regard to creating India-aware which has since spawned to dharmnews, indianwares and now because of Dileep thankfully Bharatganrajya.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I’ve always seen BR as a launchpad. Many of us started with BR, before for whatever reasons we decided to make our ways. It is time to take BR’s message to those aam admi on the ground, and that’s what we have tried to establish here.
Moderator? You are a moderator here. We have now given you privileges. Please be welcome to post whenever you can and spread your message.

Best regards,

Muns

crams
Forum Moderator

Post by crams » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:08 am

Muns, thx for your kind words. You are in NJ? I used to be in NJ over a decade ago, left in 2009, and I attended at least 2 BR events and have fond memories of the same. Anyway, I could not take the crap from some of the mods there anymore, their wild fantasies about me being some kind of a troll was the last straw.

Wil post more later. I see something cooking in J&K and I am following closely. Will share my thoughts.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:04 pm

diyear tanishq :mrgreen:

Anindya@AninBanerjee·Oct 17

Look into the eyes of the family of that school teacher tonight and tell them benefits of multiculturalism.
#Paris

Lesson From Tanishq Flop Show: Focus On Customers, Not Unsustainable Virtue Signalling
Ganesh Arnaal
Oct 17, 2020

Lesson From Tanishq Flop Show: Focus On Customers, Not Unsustainable Virtue Signalling

Snapshot
The reaction of Tanishq brand managers has been elitist and reeks of snobbery.

They appear to be angry that their customers are not able to appreciate their 'finer' sensibilities.

The Ekatvam product range advertisement by Tanishq depicting a Hindu girl in an inter-faith marriage with a Muslim had to be hurriedly withdrawn after being severely criticised in social media by many Hindus for promoting one-sided secularism. The ‘wokes’ and the liberals are angry that an advertisement promoting amity and love between communities is being criticised. They are upset that Titan is bending to appease the majority community.

The Tanishq episode raises important questions. What kind of advertising works? Should brands stick to celebrity endorsements highlighting just the product qualities? Should advertisers stay clear of social messaging? If they do want to comment on social issues, what are the boundaries?

All advertisements should pass the dharmic test.

Before the left liberal bigots start fuming, let me explain dharma.

Dharma is not about right and wrong, good and bad, moral and immoral. Dharma is that which upholds, that which sustains. And adharma is that which is not sustainable.

One may ask why should advertisements pass the test of dharma?

Advertisement is a tool used by the producer to communicate with the public at large. Through the advertisement the producer seeks to inform, entertain and cajole the unsuspecting public to pay money to buy her product. Once an advertisement is released and is in the public domain, it becomes public property. The advertiser must be prepared to face the consequences of her communication. It may be met with appreciation, hostility or indifference.

The aim of every advertiser should be to avoid generating hostility among the audience. No advertiser would want to hurt or upset his audience, even inadvertently, as it is unsustainable. It will only lead to an inevitable pushback and diminution in brand value. Hence, every advertiser should ensure that his communication passes the dharma test.

Successful brands use advertisements over an extended period of time, to build a narrative around the core values of the product. Some brands get celebrities who are supposed to embody certain values to endorse their brands. Other brands use social messaging to promote sales.

While celebrity endorsements are reliable, they tend to be predictable. Tedium sets in fairly quickly forcing the advertiser to either change the advertisement or the celebrity or both regularly. There are very few celebrity endorsements which have succeeded over a long period of time.

In the 1980s, the Thums Up brand relied heavily on the larger than life persona of Sunil Gavaskar. With the advent of Gavaskar, India had shed its losing streak and started to win a few matches. The brand started showing Gavaskar playing his glorious cover and straight drives with the jingle, ‘Happy Days Are Here Again – Thums Up’.

After a precipitous loss of form when Gavaskar made his famous comeback, the brand came up with ‘ Sunny Days Are here Again – Thums Up’ which was an obvious play on Sunny, Gavaskar’s pet name. Over the years Thums Up had so closely identified itself with Gavaskar that when he went past Don Bradman’s 29 Test centuries, it was just sufficient to say ‘Thums Up Makes It Great’.

The social messaging approach to advertising is very exciting and is a very high-risk, high-reward game. There have been some extraordinary successes and some spectacular failures.

That adorable little girl won a million hearts with ‘I Love You Rasna’. HMT watches had a great tag line, ‘If You Have The Inclination, We Have The Time’. LIC got it so right with ‘Zindagi Ke Saath Bhi, Zindagi Ke Baad Bhi’. I wonder if the last one will ever require to change. ‘India Comes Home In A Maruti Suzuki’ and ‘ Amul - The Taste Of India’ are other examples of brilliant copy writing.

While the above are examples of stellar successes, we have several social message advertisements which had to bite the dust because of wrong or indifferent messaging.

Sometimes, a product fails to deliver on the promise made by the endorsing celebrity. MS Dhoni had endorsed Amrapali real estate. When Amrapali cheated thousands of home buyers, it was not just the real estate developer who was sought to be punished. People raised questions on the responsibility of the celebrity before endorsing a brand. As a result, MS Dhoni’s brand image did suffer.

Pulling out its Ekatvam campaign, Tanishq issued a statement saying, "The idea behind the Ekatvam campaign is to celebrate the coming together of people from different walks of life, local communities and families during these challenging times and celebrate the beauty of oneness. This film has stimulated divergent and severe reactions, contrary to its very objective. We are deeply saddened with the inadvertent stirring of emotions and withdraw this film keeping in mind the hurt sentiments and well-being of our employees, partners and store staff."

An obviously incensed Tanishq needs more time to introspect and to understand what went wrong with its campaign - why emotions were stirred and sentiments hurt. The bland statement is not an apology.

Tanishq appears to have been baffled by the reactions its advertisement triggered. The inability of Tanishq’s brand managers to comprehend negative sentiments is only to be expected. The brand managers at Tanishq and the advertisement agency handling the creative of Ekatvam product range are alienated from the ground reality of Hindu-Muslim relations. Their reaction is elitist and reeks of snobbery. They appear to be angry that their customers are not able to appreciate their finer sensibilities.

We have been fed with this nonsense of ‘all religions are the same’ for far too long. The elite among us have imbibed the idea of sameness. The sameness theory needs a reality check.

Discussing sameness, Rajiv Malhotra once famously asked Mark Tully, “do you want me to be same as you or will you be same as me?” While the elite believe in the sameness of all religions, the common man is only too aware of one-sided sameness. While a Hindu will readily accept the divinity of Jesus or Mohammed, no Muslim or Christian will ever accept the divinity of Krishna or Rama. The best offer so far is that Rama is Imam-e-Hind. Mind you Rama is not even a prophet to them, leave alone an avatar.

The Quran [2.221] requires a woman marrying a Muslim man to convert to Islam, while a Muslim woman marrying a Hindu man is not required by any Hindu shastra to convert to Hinduism. In the perverted Nehruvian Idea of India, it is the inherently liberal Hindu who must prove his secular credentials every day by accepting the false equivalence between Hinduism, Christianity and Islam.

Till 2019, yes surprisingly even between 2014 and 2019, Hindus had to accept the Nehruvian Idea of India. Now that the New Idea of India is slowly finding expression post-May 2019, the essentially liberal Hindu is refusing to accept one-sided sameness. She is now refusing to accept sole responsibility to keep India secular. She has started demanding mutual respect in inter-faith matters.

Muslims and Christians have a historic opportunity to reassess their relationship with Hindus. They can either openly acknowledge the differences and stop claiming minority benefits under the idea of sameness, or reform and accept mutual respect as the founding principle of New India.

The elitist and essentially ignorant brand managers working for large corporates should desist from venturing into the inter-faith domain. Their ekatvam is unsustainable and hence represents an adharmic worldview. In the New India, all are equal, so long as they are able to accord mutual respect to each other.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:35 pm

Don’t Fret About India’s Global Reputation; The West Is Queuing Up at India’s Door

Don’t Fret About India’s Global Reputation; The West Is Queuing Up at India’s Door

Minhaz Merchant
Oct 18, 2020

Snapshot
In popular Western narrative, India wasn’t expected to make it in one piece, much less emerge as the world’s fifth largest economy.

Today, unemployed public intellectuals and angry activists in India provide the material that tries to salvage or justify that assumption for Western editors.

There is a particular kind of Indian that cares deeply about India’s image abroad. He watches the BBC and CNN, reads The New York Times and The Guardian and worries how India’s global reputation has been muddied by rapes and riots, casteist and communal violence, the erosion of dissent and the threat to democracy.

One Sunday newspaper columnist wrote sadly how NRIs cringe when reports in The Guardian and The Washington Post call India the rape capital of the world.

Indians are obviously right to worry about every rape, every caste or communal riot, and every action that suppresses dissent. But we are wrong to worry about what foreign media thinks about India. Here’s why.

India is a complex country. Nowhere else in the world do you find dehumanising poverty, social discrimination and casual violence co-existing with world-class entrepreneurs, outstanding scientists and dedicated social workers.

This paradox is difficult for foreign correspondents to understand. They pick up their material from watering holes in Delhi filled with unemployed public intellectuals and angry activists who say exactly what Western journalists want to hear: India is in deep crisis; dissent is dead; democracy is in danger.

Western journalists – at least the brighter ones among them – see through this poppycock. They know rapes and violent crime are as prevalent in their affluent countries as they are in India. They read strong daily criticism of the Narendra Modi government in Indian newspapers like The Hindu, The Telegraph and The Indian Express. They watch beady-eyed prime time TV anchors on India Today and NDTV mocking Modi’s economic policies (often justifiably).

They surf news portals like The Wire tearing apart the government’s foreign policy. And they see fact-checking sites like AltNews constantly attacking the government.

Not one of these media organisations has been censored by the government – even though several deal in fake news.

Foreign correspondents see through the fiction. Dissent in India isn’t dead, it’s alive, well and kicking. India’s democracy has so many octopus-like arms among the bureaucracy, Opposition-ruled states, the police and op-ed public intellectuals that it is in no imminent danger.

But the editors back in New York and London want stories that work on the principle that bad news makes good editorial copy.

Indian journalists writing for American and British newspapers give their editors what they want: stories of rape, riots, casteism and communalism. Much of this is legitimate journalism. Where it is not is in the failure to construct a balanced narrative.

Indians, however, are wrong to worry about what foreign media writes. For a wealthy democracy, America has intractable problems of its own – racial violence, police brutality and fatal inner-city shootings. India’s problems therefore need to be contextualised.

India annoys many in the West: here’s a country that was not expected to make it. India was supposed to balkanise after Independence. How on Earth could post-Independence India with a teeming population impoverished by 190 years of British rule, a toxic caste system and simmering Hindu-Muslim tension become the world’s fifth largest economy?

The West, thoughtful foreign journalists know, grew rich after the 1750s on the back of the brutal transatlantic slave trade from Africa to America and invasive, exploitative colonialism in Asia which fuelled the Industrial Revolution.

Poor, colonised, benighted India in 1947 had a literacy rate of 12 per cent, an average lifespan of 32 years and a GDP of Rs. 2.70 lakh crore.

Today literacy in India is 76 per cent, lifespan 70 years and GDP nearly Rs. 200 lakh crore, larger than, at current exchange rates, the GDP of former colonial power Britain.

It wasn’t meant to quite work out that way, write bemused foreign journalists. Western businessmen now line up in Delhi with billions of dollars in foreign direct investment (FDI) in the world’s fastest-growing consumer market bursting with world-class tech startups.

But what about dissent and democracy? Angry activists and op-ed public intellectuals have multiple eager media platforms to vent their ire in India as well as in New York, Washington and London. And they all miss the point.

Indian politics and society are undergoing a metamorphosis. The old elite with its ossified colonial mindset is being challenged by a rising new elite. The old elite embraces dynasty, practises nepotism and works in closed, incestuous circles. It clambered up the socio-economic ladder, rung by slippery rung, through the 1970s and 1980s.

The old, entitled elite looks at India with the eye of the intellectually colonised. It is invariably on the wrong side of history – eulogising Pakistan-funded terrorists like Burhan Wani, being apologists for China and undermining India at international conclaves.

India is a noisy, open democracy. It gives everybody an opportunity to defame it. That is as it should be. It is India’s true strength.

saurabh
Forum Moderator

Post by saurabh » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:31 pm

Amit shah On fire back to back interviews on Bengal

https://twitter.com/ZeeNewsEnglish/stat ... 65160?s=20

saurabh
Forum Moderator

Post by saurabh » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:35 pm

Rajsthan recording highest numbers of rape of Hindu girls. But Rahul and Priyanka is going for Castism fights.

https://twitter.com/iDinesh_Chawla/stat ... 82304?s=20

crams
Forum Moderator

Post by crams » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:56 pm

Did you guys notice that disgusting tweet by Pappu on the eve of ModiJi's address to the nation today? What a childish scum bag