Gardening Thread

General nukkad-style discussions.
This forum is lightly moderated, and members are expected to moderate themselves.
Rakesh
BGR Newbie

Gardening Thread

Post by Rakesh » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:30 pm

This thread is for folks who love Gardening and everything that comes with it. I am hoping to find like minded individuals who share my love of getting their hands dirty in mud and dirt 8-)

I am interested in learning from all Gardeners, but I am especially interested in learning from Gardeners living in India. And if you have family who are interested in Gardening, please ask them to visit this forum...so I can learn from them :)

For starters (and I need to figure out how to post pictures in here) this is what I have in my backyard;

- Apricot Tree - planted in 2017
- Plum Tree (Two varieties on one tree) - planted in 2017
- Cherry Tree (Four varitieies on one tree) - planted in 2017
- Blueberry Bush - planted in 2015 and giving fruit, but not much
- Raspberry Bush - planted in 2017 and growing like a wild weed
- White Grape Tree - planted in 2015 and giving fruit, but not much
- Strawberry Bushes - planted in 2017 in two pots and giving fruit

For flowering trees, I have the following;

- Hydrangeas (five different kinds...but my prized one is the Strawberry Vanilla planted in 2017).
- Magnolia Tree - Planted in 2016 and just beginning to flower
- Cherry Blossom - Planted in 2015 and flowering like crazy
- Crabapple - Planted in 2016 and flowering like crazy
- Three Roses of Sharon trees - Planted in 2015 and gorgeous flowers
- Three Peonie bushes - planted in 2017 and flowered only once
- Three sets of Hens & Chicks planted in 2017

And a request for folks reading this. If you can tell me how to get my hands on this, I would truly be in debt to you ---> https://hedgerowrose.com/rose-gardening ... bing-rose/

I live in Canada and hard to get this plant shipped here from the United States.

Dileep
Site Admin

Re: Gardening Thread

Post by Dileep » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:11 am

I have a vegetable garden growing on my 'open terrace'. I used to run a blog on it, and post on BRF long time ago. We do not buy fresh vegetables anymore for a long time now.

Rakesh
BGR Newbie

Post by Rakesh » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:33 am

Can you please provide link? I have a pair of raised vegetable garden beds that I started this year. Not a good yield, because I did not mix peat moss into the soil. The soil is thus dense and thus not enough space for the roots to expand. As a result a poor yield. Lesson learnt and will revamp next season.

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:27 am

I am trying to start a roof top garden but monkeys and pigeons are an issue. Strong sun of delhi dries out all plants unless watered everyday

sbajwa
BGR Member

Post by sbajwa » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:58 pm

If you get Epsom salt one tablespoon mixed in one gallon (3.78 liters) of water and then sprayed on the leaves of any plant the fruits will grow larger!

https://www.harvesttotable.com/epsom-sa ... r-growing/

sbajwa
BGR Member

Post by sbajwa » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:04 pm

by Jamwal
I am trying to start a roof top garden but monkeys and pigeons are an issue. Strong sun of delhi dries out all plants unless watered everyday
Can you do it inside the house in small pots? Also vegetables like Gourds (bitter and bottle) aka Kaddu, Karela, Tori and some vegetables like Bhindi are probably safe outside as no animal would touch them. Also all type of peppers are safe outside. Most herbs like Pudina (Mint), Dhaniya (Coriander), Sarson (Mustard) and Palak (Spinach) are safe outside. If you have a Dog he/she will keep all the monkeys and pigeons away from plants.

Gerard
BGR Newbie

Post by Gerard » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:48 pm

Poor yield may indicate an issue with soil nutrients.

shravanp
BGR Member

Post by shravanp » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:25 pm

jamwal wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:27 am
You can try out drip irrigation technique so that you don't lose out too much water, at the same time, the soil remains moist.

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:20 pm

sbajwa wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:04 pm
by Jamwal
Can you do it inside the house in small pots? Also vegetables like Gourds (bitter and bottle) aka Kaddu, Karela, Tori and some vegetables like Bhindi are probably safe outside as no animal would touch them. Also all type of peppers are safe outside. Most herbs like Pudina (Mint), Dhaniya (Coriander), Sarson (Mustard) and Palak (Spinach) are safe outside. If you have a Dog he/she will keep all the monkeys and pigeons away from plants.
I am growing some plants on 2 balconies right now. Back One is covered with mesh and does not get much sun anyway. Other is open and gets lots of sunlight from mid morning till sunset. I have managed to create an automated water supply system in the back balcony and i think it is possible to scale it up with little effort.

Some plants absolutely refuse to grow in covered balcony and others wilt in 2 days in other. So it is a bit of experiment to see which plant is suitable. Once I get the hang of it, i will try to start a small rooftop garden. I had 2 different mints, one died for some reason. Another grew fine if placed in mostly shaded part of front balcony. I placed it in back balcony for 6 days while i was out of city and it was dead.

To be honest, I dont mind any animal or bird eating fruits or vegetables or flowers I grow unless it is pigeon or monkey. I absolutely despise them now.

BTW, 2 Hibiscus plants are infested by a small white insect. I pruned leaves, sprayed insecticide but it didnt help. What is a good way to remove them without killing tje plants ?

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:57 pm

Try growing okra (bhindi) they bloom really well and an endless supply even with a few plants. Very easy to grow with only regular watering required. Trick is to pluck them when they are tender and little. I had a few plants reaching ten feet high. They have papaya plant like leaves and grow straight. For veggie manure, mix of cow and horse manure worked for me with some chicken powder and compost for top ups. The chicken needs to be used discretely though as it can be very strong for a few varieties.

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:17 am

:lol: My wifey is a Jain. I don't think she will be thrilled if I usw chicken powder.

sbajwa
BGR Member

Post by sbajwa » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:18 pm

You can make compost on your own in the home. I have used the following.
From here

http://www.bhg.com/gardening/yard/compo ... o-compost/
Composting is a great way to use the things in your refrigerator that you didn't get to, therefore eliminating waste. Keep a container in your kitchen, such as a tin bucket or crock, to accumulate your composting materials. These materials to start off your compost pile right:

Fruit scraps
Vegetable scraps
Coffee grounds
Eggshells
Grass and plant clippings
Dry leaves
Finely chopped wood and bark chips
Shredded newspaper
Straw
Sawdust from untreated wood

Composting Tip: Think twice before adding onions and garlic to your compost pile. It is believed that these vegetables repel earthworms, which are a vital part of your garden.

and these things are not allowed in your composting bin
Anything containing meat, oil, fat, or grease
Diseased plant materials
Sawdust or chips from pressure-treated wood
Dog or cat feces
Weeds that go to seed
Dairy products

To create your own organic hot-compost heap, wait until you have enough materials to make a pile at least 3 feet deep. You are going to want to combine your wet, green items with your dry, brown items. Start building your compost pile, alternating brown and green items. If your compost pile looks too wet and smells, add more brown items. If you see it looks extremely brown and dry, add green items and water to make it slightly moist.

Sprinkle water over the pile regularly so it has the consistency of a damp sponge. Don't add too much water, otherwise the microorganisms in your pile will become waterlogged and drown. If this happens, your pile will rot instead of compost. Monitor the temperature of your pile with a thermometer to be sure the materials are properly decomposing. Or, simply reach into the middle of pile with your hand. Your compost pile should feel warm.

During the growing season, you should provide the pile with oxygen by turning it once a week with a garden fork. The best time to turn the compost is when the center of the pile feels warm or when a thermometer reads between 130 and 150 degrees F. Stirring up the pile will help it cook faster and prevents material from becoming matted down and developing an odor. At this point, the layers have served their purpose of creating equal amounts of green and brown materials throughout the pile, so stir thoroughly.

When the compost no longer gives off heat and becomes dry, brown, and crumbly, it's fully cooked and ready to feed to the garden. Add about 4 to 6 inches of compost to your flower beds and into your pots at the beginning of each planting season. With just a few kitchen scraps and some patience, you'll have the happiest garden you can have.

Gerard
BGR Newbie

Post by Gerard » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:48 pm

BTW, 2 Hibiscus plants are infested by a small white insect. I pruned leaves, sprayed insecticide but it didnt help. What is a good way to remove them without killing tje plants ?
Mealybug?
There are specific insecticides that work on them. Soap water removes their waxy protective coating. They have natural predators.
They are sometimes spread and protected by ants, who herd them like cows and 'milk' their nectar secretions..

Javee
BGR Newbie

Post by Javee » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:56 am

Aphids are one of the most difficult to kill in home settings. Coating the under part if the leaf with plant soap water can slow it, try the neem oil route, but neem oil has to be used carefully or it will in itself kill the plant. Natural predator for aphids are ladybugs, you can buy ladybug eggs off Amazon and grow it.

jamwal
BGR Member

Post by jamwal » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:38 pm

Yes mealy bug, I poured some insecticide powder on the planter like suggested in some websites Keeping fingers crossed. Didn't knew about the any connection. I thought they were just there for the sweet juice from flowers.

Ladybugs on balcony garden ? How'll that work ?

Compost can also be made in a simpler way using indoor compost makers like Trustbin. It makes more compost than I can use though,

sbajwa
BGR Member

Post by sbajwa » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:40 pm

I think Delhi has a very good weather to grow anything Citrus on terraces., outsides.

not sure about dwarf bananas but which could be grown in other places (Humid and hot)

Here in east USA I do have Orange and lemon trees (from last 10 years). I move them outside during summer and bring them inside home during winter.

sbajwa
BGR Member

Post by sbajwa » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:44 pm

This summer I had a bumper crop of bitter gourd (Karela), bottle gourd (Kaddu of both chappan and long varieties)., at least 20 plants of tomatoes, 10 plants of brinjal, 10 plants of beans, about 25 plants of assorted type of peppers (Bhoot Jhualakia, thai pepper, indian long mirch, bell peppers (Shimla mirch or capcicum) , red onions, etc.

We have frozen most of it to be used during winter. Next year I am definitely going to grow more Onions. There is a huge difference between organic onions (that I grow) compared to the grocery store onions.

Javee
BGR Newbie

Post by Javee » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:46 am

jamwal wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:38 pm
Yes mealy bug, I poured some insecticide powder on the planter like suggested in some websites Keeping fingers crossed. Didn't knew about the any connection. I thought they were just there for the sweet juice from flowers.
Ladybugs on balcony garden ? How'll that work ?
Use mosquito net and release the lady bugs..also grow some of the flowering shrubs that ladybugs frequent, but in a balcony its always a hit or miss. Also, red ants spread these bugs, so use chilli powder in the base of the plant to prevent that.

chetak
Forum Moderator

Post by chetak » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:24 pm

Does any guru have some advise on growing kale in pots??

Rakesh
BGR Newbie

Post by Rakesh » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:19 pm

Yes saar, I do. I grow them every year in pots. What do you want to know?

Vyoman
BGR Newbie

Post by Vyoman » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:56 am

which type of kale? lacinato (cool for hot sandwiches), king, red russkie, scotch, and many other kinds.

slice lacinatos like think noodles, and tava fry them with serano peppers. sandwich them with your favoirte cheese. don't forget to sip your favorite scotch in between.