Cricket

The Archive forum serves as a repository for topics that have been closed from the other forums. They serve as a database for future reference.
AmoghaVarsha
BGR Newbie

Cricket

Post by AmoghaVarsha » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:51 pm

India Crush Australia to Win Series 4-1 & Regain No.1 Spot in ICC ODI Rankings
Nagpur: Rohit Sharma struck a majestic century while Axar Patel starred with the ball as India crushed Australia by seven wickets to take the five-match series 4-1 at the Vidarbha Cricket Stadium in Nagpur on Sunday.

With this victory, the 'Men in Blue' leapfrogged South Africa to regain the top spot in the latest ICC ODI rankings.

Chasing a modest target of 243, team India got off to a steady start with Ajinkya Rahane and Rohit Sharma at the crease. Rahane started going for runs right from the word go, but his partner Rohit took 15 balls to open his account in the match.

But once both batsmen were set, they took the attack to the visitors in sublime style. Rohit was the first to complete his half-century and at one point he was only dealing in boundaries. Rahane soon followed suit and he notched up his fourth successive fifty of the series.

The 124-run partnership was finally ended by Nathan Coulter-Nile as the pacer trapped Rahane LBW for 61. Virat Kohli joined Rohit in the middle and the duo kept the scoreboard ticking comfortably.

Rohit Sharma then upped the ante and went onto to score his 14th ODI ton in stunning style. During the course of this innings, Rohit became the fastest Indian to score 2000 runs at home and he also became only the ninth Indian to cross the 6,000-run barrier in the 50-over format of the game.

Rohit continued to be Australia's nemesis as this was 6th ODI ton against them (also includes one double century). Rohit and Kohli put on 99 runs for the second wicket to propel India closer to the target

Adam Zampa finally removed Rohit (124) and Kohli (39) in one over but it was bit too late by then as Kedar Jadhav and Manish Pandey saw India home with 43 balls to spare.

Earlier, Axar Patel was the stand-out Indian bowler as the hosts restricted Australia to 242/9. The visitors once again failed to build on a promising start provided by David Warner (53) and Aaron Finch (32) to end up with a below par total.

Patel (3/38) bowled a tidy spell and managed to register his second best bowling figures in ODIs. Jasprit Bumrah (2/51) bounced back brilliantly in the death overs to finish with much improved figures.

After starting with a maiden, Bumrah was guilty of bowling either too full or too short as the dangerous duo of Warner and Finch took him to the cleaners. Bumrah ended up leaking 34 runs in his opening spell of four overs and was hit for as many seven boundaries.

Finch particularly punished the usually accurate pacer, hitting him for five fours, including three in a row in the eighth over. He pulled Bumrah towards mid-wicket and square leg when he was short and was equally quick to flick him when bowled into the pads.

The Australian's entertaining effort also included a sublime straight drive past the mid-on fielder. Such was Finch's onslaught that Australia reached 60 for no loss in 10 overs after they had scored just 21 in the first five.

The two big-hitters were once again successful in providing their team a good start after Steve Smith won the toss and opted to bat for the third game in a row. Finch and Warner's 66-run opening stand came after their monumental 231-run effort in Bengaluru.

Kohli had to do something to change the momentum of the game and he brought in Hardik Pandya as first change. The lanky all-rounder struck in his second over with Finch mistiming a full ball to Bumrah at mid-off. The spin trio of Patel, Kuldeep Yadav (0/48) and Kedar Jadhav (1/48) them came into play and were able to stem the flow of runs.

Part-timer Jadhav was impressive and besides keeping things tight, took the prized wicket of Smith, who missed a sweep shot to be plumb in front, leaving Australia at 100 for two in the 20th over.

Two quick wickets — Warner and Peter Handscomb — followed the skipper's dismissal, triggering a middle-order collapse for Australia and undoing the good work of the openers. Handscomb's failed sweep attempt put more pressure on Australia, who were now 118 for four in the 25th over.

Travis Head (42) and Marcus Stoinis (46) steadied the ship with an 87-run stand off 112 balls but got out just when they looked set to push the scoring rate. Australia were unable to break free at the death, scoring just 32 in the last six overs.
http://www.news18.com/cricketnext/news/ ... 33655.html

Gus
Forum Moderator

Re: The Cricket Corner Thread

Post by Gus » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:50 pm

Are Ashwin and Jadeja out of favor for ODIs?

Looks like Kohli prefers wicket taking wrist spinners, instead of run-containing finger offies - because runs cannot be contained anyways in ODIs these days and better to take wickets instead..

but with teams batting deep..not sure how effective it will be against some teams. plus, kuldeep is a bit of a mystery now and yet to be 'sorted'. Hopefully he stays unsorted, because it is very hard to tell by his wrist positions which way ball may go.

Ashwin and Jadeja can bat as well - potentially match saving / match winning knocks. chahal and kuldeep can't bat. Plus bumrah. that gives no margin at the top and middle. batting revolves around Kohli's consistency. If that ever breaks down, we are in trouble.

V J
BGR Newbie

Post by V J » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:35 pm

Steve Smith visits the New Balance bat factory on his India Tour 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OaSQeLx3qQ

Marten
BGR Member

Post by Marten » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:47 am

Team selection for India A and Board President XI is very interesting. They have pitched Iyer vs. Pant as if these are two chaps identified as future leaders. Surprised because Iyer or Pant are not yet even vice kaptaans. Both though do have that aggressive streak that will help in both T20s and ODIs.
India A team for first three one-day games
Prithvi Shaw, Mayank Agarwal, Shreyas Iyer (capt), Deepak Hooda, Shubman Gill, Shreevats Goswami (wk), Shahbaz Nadeem, Karn Sharma, Vijay Shankar, Shardul Thakur, Siddarth Kaul, Mohammed Siraj, Basil Thampi.

India A team for last two one-day games

AR Easwaran, Prashant Chopra, Ankit Bawne, Shubman Gill, Baba Aparajith, Rishabh Pant (capt & wk), Shahbaz Nadeem, Karn Sharma, Vijay Shankar, Shardul Thakur, Siddarth Kaul, Mohammed Siraj, Basil Thampi.

Board President's XI team
Prithvi Shaw, Shivam Chaudhary, Shreyas Iyer (capt), Karun Nair, Gurkeerat Mann, Milind Kumar, Rishabh Pant (wk), Shahbaz Nadeem, Deepak Chahar, Dhawal Kulkarni, Jaydev Unadkat, Avesh Khan.

Sridhar k
BGR Newbie

Post by Sridhar k » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:58 am

From that team, not sure how many are future TI material and hence they may have picked the aggressive, more famous two as captains. Perhaps its the the thought that giving them responsibility will make them better players

Javee
BGR Newbie

Post by Javee » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:32 am

Looks like Washington Sunder was considered for reserves, but dropped as he couldn't pass his yoyo test (scored 15.7 instead of the requisite 17.1), he is just 17 so I'm sure he will get his stuff straights and don TI colors.
Crucially, this off-spinning all-rounder has shown the mental toughness to complement his skills, grabbed opportunities. His 11-wicket match haul in the Duleep Trophy final –Washington also notched up scores of 88 and 42 – was as match-winning as they come in a big game. Washington told Sportstar on Sunday, “I don’t put pressure on myself even during crunch matches. I just want to enjoy the game and the challenge. If I do that I can think rationally. Once that happens, you can find the right answers.” He added, “In the Duleep final, there wasn’t much margin for error. There was help from the pitch but it was a slow turner.”

...The last few days have been eventful for Washington. He took out Steve Smith and Glenn Maxwell during the one-day tour game in Chennai, was called up to bowl at the Indian batsmen in the nets, impressed the team management and now come his heroics in the Duleep summit clash.

With the willow, the fluent southpaw with a straight back swing has made a mental switch. “In the Duleep Trophy I was up against Ishant Sharma and Pankaj Singh, two fine pacemen. But I decided before the season that if a delivery was in my zone, I would go for the shot. You need to show respect to good balls but make the most of the other ones.”
http://www.sportstarlive.com/cricket/th ... 782363.ece

sudhan
BGR Newbie

Post by sudhan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:27 pm

Just realized the Lankans are touring India next month :shock:

This is becoming too freaking much. This is being done to death :evil:

sudhan
BGR Newbie

Post by sudhan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:32 pm

Mean-e-while.. I hear wimmen umpires will soon start officiating in Men's cricket matches..

KJo
Forum Moderator

Post by KJo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:58 am

sudhan wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:32 pm
Mean-e-while.. I hear wimmen umpires will soon start officiating in Men's cricket matches..

Wait till they start complaining about how misogynistic the players are and how rudely they talk :twisted:

Kabir
BGR Member

Post by Kabir » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:27 am

There will be a day when there will be International cricket matches for LGBT cause.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:32 am

KJo wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:58 am
Wait till they start complaining about how misogynistic the players are and how rudely they talk :twisted:
do you know that there are already women cricket jornos, women cricket commentators and panelists in IPL etc. If they can survive that, they can survive being in the middle.

oh and just because you can preface an argument with 'they are going to call it misogynistic' does not mean you haven't said something misogynistic. it is no better than a "i am not a racist but..." type statement.

Nayak
BGR Newbie

Post by Nayak » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:50 am

With all the MCs & BCs thrown around the field, will the adage "what happens on the field, stays on the field" ?

Karthik
BGR Member

Post by Karthik » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:11 am

Gus wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:32 am
KJo wrote:
do you know that there are already women cricket jornos, women cricket commentators and panelists in IPL etc. If they can survive that, they can survive being in the middle.

oh and just because you can preface an argument with 'they are going to call it misogynistic' does not mean you haven't said something misogynistic. it is no better than a "i am not a racist but..." type statement.

Gus mama, you should have been the sheriff of the L&M dhaga in BR.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:41 am

ippadi usupethi usupethiye ... :lol:

Find somebody else maple. Now that kjo is mod I can needle him all I want and he cannot bite back freely like before.

KJo
Forum Moderator

Post by KJo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:38 pm

Gus wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:32 am
KJo wrote:

Are you calling me a misogynist?

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:26 pm

I am not calling you anything. I merely said - "just because you can preface an argument with 'they are going to call it misogynistic' does not mean you haven't said something misogynistic." You - is a general you. I was not specifically referring to you.

Vnms
BGR Newbie

Post by Vnms » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:12 am

mi·sog·y·ny
məˈsäjənē/Submit
noun
dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against women.

Now, how many of you have seen ads where a guy is treated as a bumbling idiot? Would that be construed as misandry ?

krisna
BGR Newbie

Post by krisna » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:00 pm

http://www.cricbuzz.com/live-cricket-sc ... india-2017
India beat aussies in T20 in rain curtailed match.

Sunny
BGR Newbie

Post by Sunny » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:24 pm

It’s wonderful to see how young Kuldeep Yadav is developing. He’s still only 22 and I hope he’s handled and managed properly and doesn’t turn into another Piyush Chawla or Amit Mishra.

Hardik Pandya is another star in the making imo - at least when it comes to ODis and T20s.

Looking ahead to the next World Cup in England (less than 2 years away) I’d like to see us blood some young batsmen and also a keeper/batsman between now and then.

In the pace bowling department we now have a decent bunch of players in Bhumi, Bumrah, Shami, and Umesh. In the spin department we have Ashwin, Jadeja, Kuldeep and Chahal. However there is very little competition for Dhoni. Also we don’t really have any up and coming explosive batting talent being given a chance in international colours.

Looking ahead to Test matches we have 3 test matches vs Sri Lanka in November then 3 vs South Africa in South Africa in January then 5 tests vs England in England starting in June. A busy 6-12 months ahead. Looking forward to seeing how the South Africa and England tours go.

Marten
BGR Member

Post by Marten » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:39 am

Also we don’t really have any up and coming explosive batting talent being given a chance in international colours
Iyer, Pant, Shaw, Bawne are being given opportunities in the A series against NZ. Iyer scored a century in the final against South Africa and against NZ (same bowling attack visiting us). He's now the captain of the India A team (probably due to RD's inputs since he has been seeing him for a while now). Of the three last Ranji seasons, he is the highest scorer for Mumbai other than being second highest Ranji scorer ever for a season (after VVS). All at a strike rate far above the others. Then there is Washington Sundar, who will at some point stun all others.

We will end up picking at least two batsmen as backup. I don't see Jadhav continuing until the world cup given that the youngsters have proven their temperament and skill against international attacks as well as in IPL. Also, Rahane was dropped despite scoring better than Dhawan in difficult conditions, so that spot will remain in contention. Let's see how this goes. We can circle back here in a year and see where the young chaps have gotten.

Gus
Forum Moderator

Post by Gus » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:55 am

I am still not sold on the opening. I could never trust rohit. He has never won a tourney for us or secured a tough win under pressure.

V J
BGR Newbie

Post by V J » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:17 am

Rohit is very inconsistent.
Had he been in the Australian team, he would've been long dropped and discarded.
Rohit has one big impactful innings and then many nothing innings & repeat.

sudhan
BGR Newbie

Post by sudhan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:32 am

SAF knocked the stuffing out of the BDs..

Looks like the lil punk Mushfiqur has managed to piss of the BCB and now has a giant 'kick me' hanging on his mush..

sbajwa
BGR Member

Post by sbajwa » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:59 pm

Why was Ashwin and Sir Jadeja dropped? Also Shami and Umesh Yadav have been replaced by Bumrah and Pandya.

Aditya_V
BGR Member

Post by Aditya_V » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:34 am

Sl crush Pakis 2-0 at home surfaces in UAE- lets not forget pitches here are prepared with Soil imported from Sialkot. Last month this same SL team was crushed repeatedly by the Team India in Sri Lanka.

I am just wondering the Champions Trophy defeats by England and India to this useless Paki team was some Govt to Govt agreement over some issues. Otheerwise no way this useless Paki team could have won matches